Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,574 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:34 PM

How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? (19455 Views)

My Father's Advice To Me When I Was Searching For A Wife... / I Made My Husband Impotent For Taking A Second Wife - Woman Confesses In Delta / Do such wife/woman exists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by CoolDave(m): 7:10pm On Jul 29, 2006
How much is Ideal for a husband to give to his wife as allowance? How often should it be?

Of course it has to be based on the income of the man. But for a man earning 50k-60k per month, what do you suggest?
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Badman888(m): 8:06pm On Jul 29, 2006
it depends on how much she is earning, then from there is would be easier to decide, but the best money to give is for her to start up something with it and not only dependant on you.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Ciaralover(f): 9:35pm On Jul 29, 2006
as much to cover all her expenses
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by diddy4(m): 2:45am On Jul 30, 2006
giving her 20k for a man earning 60k wont be bad but just give her enuff to take care of herself. i love ma queens even though some of them they misbehave sometimes. treat them nice jare.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Damsal(f): 2:36pm On Jul 30, 2006
allowance!!!!, what is she working for you? she does not need allowance, the both of you should get a joint account and if money is needed for food stuff, or the house upkeep then she can take out of it.
If she is jobless then please give her as much as you want a woman placing herself in the position for a man to hold her up keep gets no sympathy from me.

1 Like

Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by snazzydawn(f): 6:47pm On Jul 30, 2006
As much as he feels comfortable giving her.If my husband deems it fit to give me 1million naira a month,kai,na im be say I don hammer,I would not mind o!But the bottom line is a husband can give his wifey what he can afford.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Seun(m): 10:44pm On Jul 30, 2006
[s]The woman should get her own job. An allowance is for kids under fifteen. Whatever you give her should be either a gift or a contribution towards shared expenses like your common house and car.

I am not a fan of welfarism. The idea of giving her what she "needs" is a very disgusting. It makes the person who decides on what is needed and what is not a dictator by implication. Freedom, mixed with love, is better.[/s]

I've recovered from Libertarianism and it's perfectly fine for woman to be paid for taking care of her kids and spending more time with them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by CalabarMan(m): 10:55pm On Jul 30, 2006
You would be doing yourself a lot of harm by putting her on allowance. No amount of money is ever enough for anyone. What you need to do is plan your expenses together. Let her know how much you are earning and then seat together and plan your monthly expenses together. Let her be in charge of shopping for clothes for the family while you can take care of buying technical items like home electronic. Make it clear to her that your salary is for you two to share and not just for you that way the issue of allowance doesn't come into play.

Next step is to get her doing something rewarding which would engage her idle time and also make additional money for the home. You can setup some kind of business for her and support her in making the business grow so that she gets a feeling of self achivement.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by babe1(f): 11:03pm On Jul 30, 2006
Interesting, i am married and i quit my job right b4 i got married and now we have a baby , my husband and i decided that i stay home and take care of her cos in USA when u think about it day care cost a lot so id rather stay home with my child than pay for her to get sick every second. On the other hand, we have joint accounts and since i am still trying to loose weight, i dont spend much money shopping instead it goes on house stuff and baby needs and his clothing, cos i like my man looking good but if for some reason i want to go back to work someday, it is OUR money. No such thing as allowance. If you both make money then the woman should give the dude allowance too huh? or is this just for stay home mom? but regardless there should be no such thing, i think that it is degrading cos everytime u need anything, u run to the dude.

1 Like

Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by babe1(f): 11:56pm On Jul 30, 2006
If a woman is at home not doing anything it might be boring but if u have a child or children thats a full time job itself expecially in the states, even tho u can have a maid but they don't come cheap compared to naija. They had a survey on CNN and found out that stay home moms with kids should make anywhere from $60.000 to $118.000 or more even. Hey our husbands if any of you are married , have u tried watching the kids for a day? Not teens o i mean anywhere from new born to one yr old. Try it sometime and tell me what u think.   shocked
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by soccerchic(f): 1:49am On Jul 31, 2006
ALLOWANCE!!! I agree allowance is for KIDs and I don't think women should be treated like kids. I didn't even know that women got such a thing called allownce, hmmmmmm angry I agree with Damsal and the joint account idea.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by luvlymoi(f): 3:33am On Jul 31, 2006
i cant believe wat am seeing. i didnt knw there was still something like this or is it a nigerian thing. well sha y should u pay ur wife like shes ur worker, u should open an account for her or a joint account. she is supposed to be ur partner for cryin out loud!!!
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by mamaput(f): 9:05am On Jul 31, 2006
Because there are some very greedy women?
I think every man knows the wife he marries,
Generally i am for joint accounts but i have seen women that spend their husbands money faster than he makes it
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Rottweiler(m): 9:24am On Jul 31, 2006
Just as I keep saying, a lot of us are hypocrites! women hide under whatever guise to squeeze as much as they can from their man! It's really terrible! A lot of women are financial cheats! A husband would give some money for monthly feeding of the family and all the wife does is to save part of it for her personal use. Despite the fact that the man still gives her monthly allowance. Even in cases where the woman works in a higher-paying organisation. If a woman is out of a job, I agree it's ok to support her with monthly allowance to take care of her personal/feminine requirements. But ain't it ridiculous when the woman is working and still collects money from the husband for things like sanitary pads, pants, make-up kits, etc?
The test of a woman's true love can only be done when a man is out of job and the woman is still working grin  Then you will get to know that the woman salary is HERS while whatever the man earns is THEIRS grin
We should stop deceiving ourselves!  Mills & Booms love ain't real love!
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by CalabarMan(m): 9:31am On Jul 31, 2006
I don't support the idea of a joint account unless it is used for investment purposes. Each party should have his/her own independent account. That reduces temptations and friction within the family.

1 Like

Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by kajad(m): 9:52am On Jul 31, 2006
@topic
The question is about a guy in Naija and you guys are reeling out about how you do it in the US. Can’t we be real and talk about what is obtainable at home? Is the way of the US a standard? How rampant is joint account in Nigeria for crying out loud?

One thing I know for sure is that a married man is expected to give some house keeping allowance to his wife irrespective of her work status (joint account not being a practice). However, for a man earning 50 -60k his giving about 20-30k is not bad but then, that amount can buy very little in the market and it will be dependent on the size of your family.

If you are wondering what the woman will be doing with her money, the general notion is that when the family wants to carry out a capital project the woman out of her own volition (Usual) pulls in her savings for the project
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by New(m): 11:50am On Jul 31, 2006
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by New(m): 11:54am On Jul 31, 2006
if a man earning 40 - 60k gives an allowance of 40 - 50% to his wife for house keeping, does this include the household bills, property/breakdown(electrical appliances) maintenance etc? or will that be taken out of the 50 - 60 % that left over?
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by viena(f): 12:35pm On Jul 31, 2006
u men re lucky, there are other types of women otherwise u all will stay without a woman.

i cant belive u asking how much allowance to give a wife

does she cost u for the hours of pregnancy, cooking etc

u guys must be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by twinkledew(f): 3:45pm On Jul 31, 2006
ALLOWANCE. It is not the appropriate way. The lady (Wife) should have access to your account. Preferable have a joint account together. At least you will both be earning and saving the money together. You can both use it at any point in time.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by twinkledew(f): 3:50pm On Jul 31, 2006
@ Kadja

You can set up a joint account in Nigeria. This is the 21st Century ok. It is shameful for a wife to be asking her husband for money all the time.
It makes it sound like a child asking for money from (his or her) Parents
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by iice(f): 4:08pm On Jul 31, 2006
Budget the damn thing
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by babe1(f): 4:29pm On Jul 31, 2006
kajad:

@topic
The question is about a guy in Naija and you guys are reeling out about how you do it in the US. Can’t we be real and talk about what is obtainable at home? Is the way of the US a standard? How rampant is joint account in Nigeria for crying out loud?

One thing I know for sure is that a married man is expected to give some house keeping allowance to his wife irrespective of her work status (joint account not being a practice). However, for a man earning 50 -60k his giving about 20-30k is not bad but then, that amount can buy very little in the market and it will be dependent on the size of your family.

If you are wondering what the woman will be doing with her money, the general notion is that when the family wants to carry out a capital project the woman out of her own volition (Usual) pulls in her savings for the project

Hey i dont think it matters what country, they have banks all over the world or there r no more banks in nigeria? U can still have a joint account there i suppose. Joint account not being a practice? aint u in this together? so why cant they have joint accounts
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by didisky(m): 6:05pm On Jul 31, 2006
What are we talking about here ,a wife or a girl friend?A wife MUST have an allowance work or no work.i suspect people who are saying this are not married.Anyway,20k is ok plus other , wink
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by 2fine4u(f): 6:44pm On Jul 31, 2006
waoh so a woman still need allowance from her husband in this modern day? if both couple is working and have a joint account, why would the woman need an allowance? oh let me guess, this topic was refering to the days that most men think that a woman's role is only in the kitchen and her only job is full-time housewife undecided the women of my time will work for their own allowance if they so desire it and they will help the men to support the family and not just sit at home and expect the man to bring home the bacon.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by diddy4(m): 6:47pm On Jul 31, 2006
i will never try this joint account thingy. no matter how much she makes, imm@ give her allowance. as far as i make more than her. my wife wont sweat too much ooo. no way, she is da queen in control of ma heart. give her the world and all i need is her loving care.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by babe1(f): 6:54pm On Jul 31, 2006
diddy4:

i will never try this joint account thingy. no matter how much she makes, imm@ give her allowance. as far as i make more than her. my wife wont sweat too much ooo. no way, she is da queen in control of ma heart. give her the world and all i need is her loving care.

U can still give her d world with a joint account. Same difference.!!!

1 Like

Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by diddy4(m): 6:57pm On Jul 31, 2006
ummm, u know as they say, prevention is better than cure. dont want no one to buy a private jet and smile at me cuzz she knows i will still tell her i love you baby even if she shoots me. i will open an account for her instead and put any amount she so desires in there for her bi-weekly or monthly.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by 2fine4u(f): 6:58pm On Jul 31, 2006
it's always advisable for married couples to have joint account but that doesn't mean each person cannot have their own private account. financial expenses/misunderstandings among couples is one of the causes of divorce. a wife or husband should be able to track each other's expenses that doesn't mean they don't trust each other but they don't want to go bankruptcy either. a grown woman cannot be expecting weekly or monthly allowance everytime from her husband before she can do something for herself. even though you love her more than life itself, she needs that freedom to be able to withdraw money (based on her man's consent) to cater for her own personal needs.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by diddy4(m): 7:26pm On Jul 31, 2006
like i said b4, she will be working. i am not looking for any oriaku wey go just sitdon they chop money. she will be working and the allowance im giving her is not becuzz she cant buy anyfin she wants with her own money but becuzz its like a responsiblity to provide. joint account aint for me. i dont want to track any ones expenses. i pay money into her account and she can use it anyhow she likes.

i wonder what a grown woman will be doing at home jobless. makes no sense. if she doesnt expect the weekly or monthly stuff, she should go and get a job. what im i even saying sef? my wife must have a job. gone are the days when women sat their behind down and ate money like dokwugbo. she will work and i will give her money still. joint account is not for me.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by babe1(f): 7:32pm On Jul 31, 2006
diddy4:

ummm, u know as they say, prevention is better than cure. don't want no one to buy a private jet and smile at me cuzz she knows i will still tell her i love you baby even if she shoots me. i will open an account for her instead and put any amount she so desires in there for her bi-weekly or monthly.

See diddy that means u aint gonna  give her the world and u don't trust her, make sure u marry someone u trust and u will never have that problem. I wouldnt dream of doing that to my hubby right now or ever.Like i said it is OUR money. But all the same what ever rocks your boat dude.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by mamaput(f): 7:36pm On Jul 31, 2006
so your wife will work come home mind the kids cook and clean.
What will you be doing when you come home and who is minding your kids while your wife is at work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Describe Your Dad's Slap In One Word / How Do You Deal With A Lazy Elder Brother Or Sister? / Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.