Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) (73830 Views)

80 Acres Of Land Basically For Plantain Available For Cultivation In Ogbomoso / BECOME MILLIONAIRES THROUGH EDIBLE MUSHROOM CULTIVATION AND SPAWN PRODUCTION / Plantain Cultivation Is Increasing, Let Us Talk About The Market. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 10:42am On Oct 02, 2014
diamondboa:
Where exactly in Ondo ?I lived at Fagun, Road 5A.I reaaly love to see this .
I will infact go valentino on thursday and may be will branch at ur place.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Elebiju: 10:32am On Oct 03, 2014
aaidel:

one is a tropical fruit the other is not just like calling a chimpanzee a human which in this case would be closer than calling the bell apple an apple
your theories lack basis, u can't be English than an Englishman, an apple is an apple.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by aaidel(m): 9:47pm On Oct 03, 2014
Elebiju: your theories lack basis, u can't be English than an Englishman, an apple is an apple.

well then you can gladly call yourself a chimpanzee
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Elebiju: 7:29am On Oct 04, 2014
aaidel:

well then you can gladly call yourself a chimpanzee
and u have proven to be a dyslexic all because of apples.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by aaidel(m): 5:25pm On Oct 04, 2014
Elebiju:
and u have proven to be a dyslexic all because of apples.

well if you knew the meaning of dyslexic then you wouldn't have used it, yes all because of apples learn to call things by their proper names not whatever you think they should be called
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by anienge001: 11:46pm On Oct 04, 2014
As many persons here have commented, the 'apple' in the pix is not the one we buy. But people till call it apple.

On a serious note, we should be more adventurous rather than being internet farmers. I have heard that apples grow in Plateau State. Can someone from there confirm this? I believe the weather in Plateau should support apples. Another region that can support apples and grapes is the Obudu highlands or mountains close to Obudu cattle range. Anyone from that region? An experiment may not hurt. We should discover more things for ourselves within Naija rather than wait for a white saviour.

3 Likes

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Elebiju: 10:56am On Oct 05, 2014
aaidel:

well if you knew the meaning of dyslexic then you wouldn't have used it, yes all because of apples learn to call things by their proper names not whatever you think they should be called
I think u should learn to accept that there are things u don't know, even a professor learns everyday.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by aaidel(m): 1:37pm On Oct 05, 2014
Elebiju:
I think u should learn to accept that there are things u don't know, even a professor learns everyday.

yes there are things i don't know but what i do know is that a bell apple is not an apple like i said one is a tropical fruit the other a temperate one and they don't even taste alike
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Elebiju: 6:58am On Oct 06, 2014
aaidel:

yes there are things i don't know but what i do know is that a bell apple is not an apple like i said one is a tropical fruit the other a temperate one and they don't even taste alike
read your comment again bro, how can you type that the bell *apple* is not an apple, why call it bell Apple why not bell fruit? u can as well type that Anjou, Bartlett, Bose, Comice, Forelle, and Seckel pears aren't pears because the only variety you know is avocado pear.

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by aaidel(m): 12:35am On Oct 07, 2014
Elebiju:
read your comment again bro, how can you type that the bell *apple* is not an apple, why call it bell Apple why not bell fruit? u can as well type that Anjou, Bartlett, Bose, Comice, Forelle, and Seckel pears aren't pears because the only variety you know is avocado pear.

problem has always been the intelligent like confidence in themselves while the dumb are full of confidence.
Syzygium samarangense is the botanical name for bell apple similar to Syzygium malaccense which if you notice have the same genus name but different specie names

Malus domestica is from the rose family and is the scientific name of the european apple similar to malus sieversii which originated in china and is thought to be the ancestor of modern day apples

now i hope your brain will be able to understand that explanation calling something an apple does not automatically make it one

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by mont: 6:26pm On Oct 07, 2014
gbenga I need to know more hw can we talk. u can reach @08036669822 pls call me I will call back some we can talk. u may be sitting on more money than u know.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by soasm(m): 5:08pm On Oct 12, 2014
Start earning a second income within a few minutes on
SFI visit :
sasanni.quickinfo247.com or
sfichamp.auctions3c.com or
soas.profitsonline.com or
soas.homebusinessrevolution.com and via
soasm.auctions3c.com

SFI gives you the best marketing guidelines, best
supporting affiliates and several games to help boost your
chances of earning. No handouts payment. 100%free and
easy to understand. Visit NOW!!!
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by makaveli902: 6:07pm On Oct 23, 2015
19naia:
Almost any tree will grow in Nigerias climate. Rememeber that cold climate trees all must survive the hot summers and they are therefore able to grow in tropical heat.... The cold weather trees dont really handle the cold well as most drop all their leaves and go into hibernation mode...

Growing the tree is the easy part.... Getting the tree to flower and getting the flower to turn to viable fruit is the challenge.... Coconuts grow in hot tropical weather and they can also grow in places where it gets mildly cold, but that cold prevents the flowers from being viable to turn into fruit.. The cold kills the flowers, Its the same with mango tree flowers.. The tree will grow, but when its time to flower and fruit, the climate problems will emerge..

Now put this in reverse for Apples... Cold weather fruit trees often require cold for their flowers to form and turn into viable fruit... If the heat is too much during the sensitive flower to fruit stage, they will drop off and die.... Maybe there is a strain of apple that is adapted to nigeria type climate, South africa gets cold enough for apples... Nigeria may have select areas that may get cold enough for apple, or maybe there is a strain of apple now that will work any where in Nigeria....?
Some cold weather fruit trees will not fruit well unless a spring cold frost comes and cold frost the flowering plants before fruit forms... Peaches...

wow! nice lecture, Professor suppose be your first name...
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Walexz02(m): 11:40am On May 24, 2017
Op I have someone who said he does not believe this
He said he can visit any part of Nigeria to see this apple tree with its fruits.
Where is your location op
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by saliubello(m): 7:52pm On Nov 07, 2017
@ Op. How far with the growth of your apple seedling??

2 Likes

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by SirLaw12: 8:59pm On Nov 07, 2017
How can I get seedling please. I reside in Ondo state also.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Christoptom: 10:59pm On Apr 27, 2018
*STILL ON APPLE FARMING*

— 5th February 2018

Steve Agbota 

For weather related reasons, Nigeria does not produce apples even though there has been a steady increase in its demand by middle class and large retail outlets.
Many still believe that apple cannot grow in Nigerian. But every year, Nigerians spend millions of dollars importing the fruit from South Africa and other European countries. The reason Nigeria spends so much to import apple is not far fetched. People often eat apple raw but it can also be found in many prepared foods and drinks. And there are many health benefits thought to result from eating apples.
Statistics indicate that Nigeria imported 1,882 tonnes, 7,857 tonnes and 32,317 tonnes of apples between 2011, 2012 and 2013 respectively from South Africa. Industry watchers said these figures have increased tremendously in the last four years as millions of dollars is expended on importation of apples.
However, apart from statistics available in 2011, 2012, 2013, there is no recent data to indicate amount of apples imported and consumed in Nigeria, but large numbers of apples are imported and brought in through the nation’s borders. But the demand for the product continues to increase indicating that there is a sustainable market for apples in Nigeria, which is largely being driven by the increasing preference for fresh fruit over processed fruit.
It is clearly stated that apples that are sold at shops, in hotels and Nigerian markets have been harvested before they get ripe and they take weeks and months before getting here. Even the apples are injected somehow to preserve them.
*There is good news for farmers who want to venture into this money spinning fruit. Today, there is a specie of apple called semi-arid apple, also known as ‘wambugu’ apple, which matches Nigeria’s weather conditions. This basically means that the apple can grow and do well in Nigeria, as government is looking for a way of reducing import bills.*
*The semi-arid apple was developed by Peter Wambugu, a man who used to work as a mechanic in the streets of Nyeri, central Kenya, now a trained agriculture expert.*
*The semi-arid apple can grow to climate of up to 36°, which is within Nigeria’s weather conditions because the apple specifically is for hot and warm areas and it has a lifespan of 50 years. The apple can grow in any West African country and anywhere in the world. The semi-arid apple bears up 500 to 2000 fruits on each tree every season and it has two seasons in a year, starting between July, August, December and January.*
*As Nigerians look for fresh fruits and food everyday, it would be advisable for farmers to invest as early as possible and take advantage of the prevailing opportunities to make some good returns.*
*Presently, in Nigerian markets, a piece of apple goes for N50, N100 and above depending on its size. Some hotels buy apple in cartons week in, week out, which shows the huge prospects for the fruits. If a tree produces at least 500 fruits per harvest and multiply the 500 by N50 and also with 250 to 300 trees, you know how much that will fetch you in two seasons.*
*Speaking with Daily Sun, on the potential of the fruit, the Chief Executive Officer, Wambugu Apple Farm, Peter* *Wambugu, said the semi-arid apple variety is a kind of apple that does best in hot and warm areas, which makes it different from any other imported apple, saying it requires only manure and water for it to grow well.*
*According to him, the semi-arid apple variety has a very good income as the harvest season comes every nine to 13 months.*
*He explained: “I began this farming 40 years ago. Till now, even my children are still farming apples. This apple won the best apple in the world that is able to grow anywhere in any climate and soil. The apples are organically grown and thus, they need good manure and water for them to grow better.* *They can grow to climate of up to 36°! The apple takes nine to 14 months to mature to fruiting and one acre requires 310 plants.”*
*On planting, he said: “When you get your seedling, allow 5m by 5m spacing from one plant to another. 2fts by 2fts deep 2fts! Mix 1 bucket of manure with topsoil and return back to the hole later; putting 20 liters of water mix with the soil well and plant the seedling! Later do mulching! For pest control, since this apple has very few pests, it would be able to grow with very minimal maintenance. Climate and soil type are no problem for the semi-arid apple variety.*

_*YOU CAN NOW BUY WAMBUGU APPLE SEEDLING OR SETUP YOUR APPLE FARM IN NIGERIA CALL/PCHAT on WhatsApp or Telegram +2348162212154*_

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by sefani(f): 3:04pm On Jun 14, 2018
Really??
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by pat077: 5:43am On Jun 18, 2018
Good development
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by lorhema(f): 7:35pm On Jun 20, 2018
As has been noted, apples are grown in Plateau State. A programme is located in Bokkos while some families in Jos have a tree or two in their yards.
The pictures are of a tree here. The seedling supplier said it is the Anna variety.
This is its first fruiting and birds are feasting on the apples while we are waiting for them to mature and ripen!
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by omo17(m): 10:44pm On Jun 20, 2018
lorhema:
As has been noted, apples are grown in Plateau State. A programme is located in Bokkos while some families in Jos have a tree or two in their yards.
The pictures are of a tree here. The seedling supplier said it is the Anna variety.
This is its first fruiting and birds are feasting on the apples while we are waiting for them to mature and ripen!

Pics
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Johnboom: 5:03am On Jun 21, 2018
Pls sir send your number to me.or you can chat me up on WhatsApp.my no is 08032781837. Pls how did you get the seed that germinate ?
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by lorhema(f): 9:36pm On Jul 04, 2018
It's been tough uploading these pictures on my phone. Resorted to my laptop and here they are.

@JohnBoom, the seedling was bought in 2015 at All Green Garden/Nursery.
It's one of the gardens located between the CBN office and Plateau Club, Jos.

Update: Birds continue to feast on the apples, the redder (riper) ones attract them more!

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by eddyline(m): 1:37am On Jul 06, 2018
lorhema:
It's been tough uploading these pictures on my phone. Resorted to my laptop and here they are.

@JohnBoom, the seedling was bought in 2015 at All Green Garden/Nursery.
It's one of the gardens located between the CBN office and Plateau Club, Jos.

Update: Birds continue to feast on the apples, the redder ones attract them more!
hello ma, pls what was the cost of the seedlings back then?
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by lorhema(f): 9:25am On Jul 06, 2018
eddyline:

hello ma, pls what was the cost of the seedlings back then?

#10k and non-negotiable
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by sefani(f): 11:23am On Jul 06, 2018
lorhema:

#10k and non-negotiable
please make a post on this and supply us pictures proving that this actually grows and fruits in Nigeria
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by eddyline(m): 12:13pm On Jul 06, 2018
sefani:

please make a post on this and supply us pictures proving that this actually grows and fruits in Nigeria
I've seen apples fruiting in 3 different houses in Jos. don't know if they'd actually grow and fruit elsewhere in Nigeria though
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Asquare84(m): 12:20pm On Jul 06, 2018
i have seen a matured apple tree that produce fruit in otukpo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Excessive Heat Kills A Farmer's Chickens: Pictured / If Banana Grew & Entered Your Compound Like This, What Would You Do? / Huge Cassava Harvested In Imo State, Taller Than The Owner!!!!! (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.