Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,692 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:28 PM

LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! (4665 Views)

LASTMA Official, Army Cadet & Police In A Brawl In Lagos Today (Pics) / Oyibo Man Enters LASTMA Bike To Beat Traffic On Ikorodu Road [photos] / Woman Strips Off And Pole Dances To Stop Police From Towing Her Car (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by suxes2005(m): 9:42pm On Sep 27, 2014
I don't really know how to start this.

But, the main thing is this: my Honday Baby Boy had a problem while I was driving; the usual Honda wahala!

Within 30 secs, and I mean it. Towing vehicle was there. Fortunately, it was in front of a mech workshop.

Then, the Lastma boss came and demanded we remove the car within 5mins.

We were still negotiating with the towing vehicle who happened to be working with them.

So, the Lastma boss started their usual rants and one of my friends got angry. He was like: we ought to be thankful no life was lost....

That was where the whole ish started. My car was towed to their office. This happened around CBD.

Withing 5 minutes, I was told to leave their office and two men from the mech workshop started begging on my behalf.

We were molested. Yet, I never raise a voice. I told the man I'm dedicating my child 2moro in church and god stuffs in the boot...

Well, I was smashed with 50k fine with offence code: MTFII.

Guys, I was told the code means obstructing traffic on high way....

Someone said the fine is 20k and I could actually be freed if it's so.

I'm not happy but still thank God no life was lost and the road was free today!

So, what's your take on this? How do I go about this?

Come to my aid and please leave Fashola and APC out of this.

Just help solve my case biko.
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by Firefire(m): 9:54pm On Sep 27, 2014
Welcome to Lagos where the state government agent become a Judge in its own case.

LASTMA can’t impose fine on traffic offenders - imposition of fine on any traffic offender by LASTMA amounted to being a judge in its own cause.

“Sections 9, 11, 12, and 13 of the law establishing LASTMA is unconstitutional.

It is against the spirit of the Section 36 of the Constitution, which gives right of fair-hearing to every Nigerian.

Eko o ni ba je ju ba yi lọ oo

Solution: Take what you need from the boot of your car and drag them to court, pay NO KOBO, the double taxation of Lagos State should be enough.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by Kirinwa: 10:15pm On Sep 27, 2014
Op simply pay some soldiers 10k for drinks and your car is out. God punish lastma.

2 Likes

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by eluquenson(m): 10:54pm On Sep 27, 2014
After some e-diots will say fashola is working

My signature made me remember something.

1 Like

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by lonelydora: 10:55pm On Sep 27, 2014
Kirinwa: Op simply pay some soldiers 10k for drinks and your car is out. God punish lastma.

That is the only way I deal with TIMA-RIV in Port Harcourt. Just call my NAVY friend, he will send his boys with their pick - up van, and my car will be out. But make sure you are not the one at fault by taking a pix of the car's position before towing.
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by Nobody: 11:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
Firefire: Welcome to Lagos where the state government agent become a Judge in its own case.

LASTMA can’t impose fine on traffic offenders - imposition of fine on any traffic offender by LASTMA amounted to being a judge in its own cause.

“Sections 9, 11, 12, and 13 of the law establishing LASTMA is unconstitutional.

It is against the spirit of the Section 36 of the Constitution, which gives right of fair-hearing to every Nigerian.

Eko o ni ba je ju ba yi lọ oo

Solution: Take what you need from the boot of your car and drag them to court, pay NO KOBO, the double taxation of Lagos State should be enough.
First, LASTMA is not a judge, they fine you like any other related statutory body(Road Safety). Secondly, you can sue LASTMA to court if yu feel your right has been trampled on. The story look somehow but I wl be glad to knw what rili happened
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by Firefire(m): 11:06pm On Sep 27, 2014
barcanista: First, LASTMA is not a judge, they fine you like any other related statutory body(Road Safety). Secondly, you can sue LASTMA to court if yu feel your right has been trampled on. The story look somehow but I wl be glad to knw what rili happened

50k is not a fine... It is a wicked level by Fashola & his wicked agents.

Time to set yourself free from the wicked government claming progressive. angry

suxes2005:

Well, I was smashed with 50k fine with offence code: MTFII.

Guys, I was told the code means obstructing traffic on high way....

1 Like

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by Firefire(m): 11:09pm On Sep 27, 2014
focus7: do u understand simple english? "Leave Fashola and APC out of this..." Says the OP. That's why u are repeating GCE the fourth time.

Can you separate swine from dirt

1 Like

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by tit(f): 11:14pm On Sep 27, 2014
Firefire:

Are you one of those asking why they kill Shekau alive?
Ha ha ha!
They give his body for pigs to eat dinner.
Sorry ooo.
As a good moslim, my hand no dey inside that one.
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by focus7: 11:15pm On Sep 27, 2014
Firefire:

well we just have to dance according to tune of the music and not as we feel like otherwise u will be mistaking for something else.
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by Firefire(m): 11:19pm On Sep 27, 2014
tit:

Are you one of those asking why they kill Shekau alive?
Ha ha ha!
They give his body for pigs to eat dinner.
Sorry ooo.
As a good moslim, my hand no dey inside that one.

I dont get your point.

LASTMA is a wicked gangster milking Lagosians dry.
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by oduastates: 2:42am On Sep 28, 2014
Overzealous law enforcement.welcome to the law.yes ,the law can be a bit.ch.
your friend's fault here.your friend gave them justifiable cause to tow your car.
They wanted a reaction and your friend gave them .
without them ,your tow van would have taken 5 hrs to get to you ,not 30 sec.
My cousin almost went to jail in America ,for a situation not too dissimilar to yours.obstruction and disorderly conduct was the charge and this could have been easily thrown at you .
I think nairalanders in the diasporas can explain it better.

3 Likes

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by ratiken(m): 2:56am On Sep 28, 2014
oduastates: your friend's fault here.your friend gave them justifiable cause to tow your car.
Also ,you could easily have found yourself a guest of the LAGOS state government in kirikiri.unfortunately ,LASTMA is a neccessary evil.without them ,your tow van would have taken 5 hrs to get to you ,not 30 sec.
My cousin almost went to jail in America ,for a situation not too dissimilar to yours.obstruction and disorderly conduct.

You APC clowns are the EVIL in dEVIL. So this is all you can say to a man with an important function tomorrow. And his fault is that his car broke down on the highway. In saner climes, he is offered help; in your fashola's lagos....he is slammed a fine.

Fashola is the biggest fraud in Nigeria's democracy (not Tinubu)

4 Likes

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by naptu2: 3:01am On Sep 28, 2014
LASTMA has no right to impose a fine on you without a court judgement.

Nemo judex in causa sua. They can't be the complainant, prosecutor and judge in their own case.

What actually happens is that they see the fine as an out of court settlement. You have a right not to pay the fine and you can tell them to take you to court instead.

In fact, you can sue them for imposing a fine on you without a court judgement (it's against your right to a fair hearing that's guaranteed by section 36 of the constitution).
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by oduastates: 3:11am On Sep 28, 2014
ratiken:

You APC clowns are the EVIL in dEVIL. So this is all you can say to a man with an important function tomorrow. And his fault is that his car broke down on the highway. In saner climes, he is offered help; in your fashola's lagos....he is slammed a fine.

I would not have bothered with replying you.
You are the typical low information voter who votes thugs and criminals.
What saner clime are you referring to?
He will be told the same thing and I telling you from experience." Move your car".
At best ,they will give you time to remove it (.at worst,they will bring their own removal vehicle and charge you for the cost.
However a spat will never be tolerated.
It will land you in jail or a criminal record.
It is your word against that of the officer but the onus is on you to prove that the officer was wrong.
By the way ,why am I bothering to reply this moronn?

A typical saner clime regulation

Statu­tory removal

Statu­tory removal means that a traf­fic offi­cer or police offi­cer can legally require a vehi­cle to be removed.

The motorist present will be charged the cost of the recov­ery. If the vehi­cle has been aban­doned, the owner will be iden­ti­fied and charged the cost of recov­er­ing and securely stor­ing their vehi­cle. The vehi­cle will not be released until the charges have been paid. Recov­ery charges are laid down by the Home Office.

Your car, motor­bike or other vehi­cle may be sub­ject to statu­tory removal if:

you are unable to arrange your own vehi­cle recov­ery within a rea­son­able time
your vehi­cle recov­ery arrange­ments are unsuit­able or unsafe
your vehi­cle has been abandoned
your vehi­cle is in a live lane and it is not pos­si­ble to clear it to safe area
your car has been moved to place of rel­a­tive safety, such as the hard shoul­der, but in the opin­ion of the attend­ing traf­fic or police offi­cer, is still caus­ing an obstruc­tion or has the poten­tial to cause dan­ger to other road users
Traf­fic officers:

must be present at the scene to invoke their statu­tory pow­ers of removal
must check if pos­si­ble whether suit­able pri­vate recov­ery arrange­ments have been made before decid­ing to imple­ment statu­tory removal
act under the author­ity of the Removal and Dis­posal of Vehi­cles (Traf­fic Offi­cers) (Eng­land) Reg­u­la­tions 2008.

2 Likes

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by naptu2: 3:18am On Sep 28, 2014
naptu2: The criminal justice system is structured in this manner.

Investigators/prosecutors: Law enforcement officers (eg lastma and the police) investigate and arrest offenders.

The DPP's office (and sometimes law enforcement officers) prosecute the cases. Basically, they are accusing you of committing a crime.

Judiciary: The judge is meant to adjudicate over the matter and determine if you are guilty or not and if the state is at fault. The judge should be impartial. 

Judiciary/jury: They determine guilt and sentence offenders.

Now, how can one agency accuse you of a crime, decide that you are guilty and sentence you to pay a fine (or impound your car)? Will they be impartial and fair?
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by naptu2: 4:23am On Sep 28, 2014
There is judicial precedent to back you up (but note also that the case has been appealed).

naptu2: [size=14pt]Lastma Can’t Impose Fine On Traffic Offenders – Court[/size] by superior1: 8:21am On Sep 22, 2011

superior1:
LASTMA can’t impose fine on traffic offenders – Court
On September 22, 2011 · In News

By INNOCENT ANABA

LAGOS- Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Lagos, has declared that Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA, lacks the power to impose fine on traffic offenders.

Delivering judgment in the suit filed by Mr. Jonathan Odutola, Justice Abang declared that sections 9, 11, 12 and 13 of the law establishing LASTMA is unconstitutional and of no effect.

The judge not only awarded N500,000 against LASTMA, but stated that the four sections of its law were contrary to Section 36 of the Constitution, which gives the right of fair- hearing to every Nigerian.

He held that while LASTMA has the power to arrest traffic offenders, it does not have the powers to impose fine on them, adding that instead, it is a court of law that has power to impose fine on anybody who contravenes the law.

The judge submitted that the imposition of fine on any traffic offender by LASTMA amounted to being a judge in its own cause.

He said: “Sections 9, 11, 12, and 13 of the law establishing LASTMA is unconstitutional. It is against the spirit of the Section 36 of the Constitution, which gives right of fair-hearing to every Nigerian. Moreover, that would amount to being a judge in your own cause.”

Odutola had dragged LASTMA to court for unlawfully impounding his car and imposing and slamming an illegal fine on him.

In the suit, he stated that last March, while driving his car on Third Mainland Bridge, it suddenly developed some mechanical problems.

According to him, to ensure that the car did not obstruct free flow of traffic, he immediately called a towing-van which towed the vehicle completely out of the road.

He said he also paid towing-van operator some money for the service rendered.

Odutola stated that he also called his mechanics to come and rescue him and the vehicle, adding that as soon as the mechanics arrived, some policemen patrolling the bridge who apparently wanted him to give them money refused them to work on the car.

When he insisted, Odutola and the mechanics were thoroughly beaten and harassed.

The policemen then called LASTMA officials at Sura, Lagos Island, who immediately came and towed the applicant’s car to their office and consequently slammed him with a fine if he must get his car back.

https://www.nairaland.com/765555/lastma-t-impose-fine-traffic
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by naptu2: 4:32am On Sep 28, 2014
Like I said, the only way that Lastma can fine you is if you agree to an out of court settlement.

For example, you commit an offence, you admit that you have committed an offence. You don't want the trouble of going to court (time spent, lawyer's fees, etc) and the state also does not want the trouble of going to court, so you agree to pay a fee and go to the driver's institute.

However, you have a right not to pay anything if Lastma says that you committed an offence and you do not agree that you committed an offence.

You have the right to be heard by an impartial judge ( Audi alteram partem = both sides must be heard) and lastma has no right to impose penalties on you because they can't be the prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner in their own cause ( Nemo judex in causa sua ).

2 Likes

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by naptu2: 4:38am On Sep 28, 2014
Another case.

[size=14pt]Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle[/size]

mike404:

The Federal High Court in Lagos today (Wednesday) ordered the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) to pay a lawyer, Kameos Omosivwe, the sum of N200, 000 as damages for unlawfully impounding his vehicle.

Presiding Judge, Justice Okon Abang said the action of LASTMA in impounding Omosivwe’s vehicle and forcing him to pay illegal fines, is an assumption of judicial functions, and as such he declared it null and void.

The court also held that the lawyer was at liberty to seek leave of court, to commence contempt proceedings against one Adewumi Adeosun, an officer of LASTMA who was involved in the impoundment.

The lawyer had gone before the court to challenge the wrongful detention of his vehicle by LASTMA officials for several months.

He filed the suit on Feb. 15, seeking a declaration that the detention of his vehicle by LASTMA, was an affront on his right to fair hearing as enshrined in the constitution.

Omosivwe also sought a declaration that the imposition of a fine on his vehicle by the respondent, constitutes a violation of his freedom to own movable properties.

Justice Abang in his judgment, apart from awarding N200,000 against LASTMA, also awarded a cost of N20,000 for the action.

He further held that the action of the respondent was a gross misrepresentation of the law.

The court also noted that although the respondent had contended that the LASTMA Laws 2004, as enacted by the Lagos State House of Assembly, empowers its officers to carry out their duties, such laws cannot negate the principles of separation of power.

The judge further maintained that such laws cannot confer judicial powers on the respondent, since judicial powers of the constitution are only vested in a court of law.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/12/04/court-awards-n200000-against-lastma-for-impounding-lawyers-vehicle/

https://www.nairaland.com/1543023/court-awards-n200000-against-lastma
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by Nobody: 5:06am On Sep 28, 2014
naptu2: Like I said, the only way that Lastma can fine you is if you agree to an out of court settlement.

For example, you commit an offence, you admit that you have committed an offence. You don't want the trouble of going to court (time spent, lawyer's fees, etc) and the state also does not want the trouble of going to court, so you agree to pay a fee and go to the driver's institute.

However, you have a right not to pay anything if Lastma says that you committed an offence and you do not agree that you committed an offence.

You have the right to be heard by an impartial judge Audi alteram partem (both sides must be heard) and lastma has no right to impose penalties on you because they can't be the prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner in their own cause ( Nemo judex in causa sua ).
grin thank u so much.
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by naptu2: 5:19am On Sep 28, 2014
Silkmoth33: grin thank u so much.

My pleasure.
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by suxes2005(m): 7:01am On Sep 28, 2014
Thank you naptu.

I'll lovee to pay a lawyer than pay such fine. I. Didn't cause any obstruction on the road.

My car simply broke down while driving. The Lastma called my friend a bastard because my friend protested the 7k fee charged by the towing vehicle.

Believe me y'all, I did not commit any offence at all. None that I can think of.

This is absolute injustice. I'm too young to pay such fine. As in, salary for two months that's the fine!

MODS, please Frontpage as I need help so fast biko.

If there is any lawyeer who could help me here, kindly do.

I bragged to the man that I'll poost this on Nairaland and he'll soon read about this in the news.

This is 100,000% injustice!

1 Like

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by stevecantrell: 7:44am On Sep 28, 2014
ratiken:

Fashola read the above post and he started laughing...."After 7.5 years and 2 terms you're just realising that !! LMAO !"

1 Like

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by doctokwus: 8:44am On Sep 28, 2014
ratiken:

Fashola is one overhyped,double faced gov,disguising as a new age thinker.D way d lasg handled d synagogue building collapse,allowing d man and land to still b in synagogue's hands,unlike many other episodes of collapsed buildings in d state,was just d last confirmation I needed to know Fashola cannot b trusted,and is dangerous to boot.
LASTMA is nothing more than a tout driven,money collecting agency.
Op,unfortunately for u,once u av no influence in nigeria and in states like lagos,ruled by touts,ur ony realistic approach is to come down from ur highhorse,go back and beg d touts for them to reduce d fine.If not,Fashola wud evn get dem to keep ur car till next yrs election!

1 Like

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by suxes2005(m): 10:42am On Sep 28, 2014
I believe something good can happen!

I still need more advice please.
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by suxes2005(m): 8:45am On Sep 29, 2014
Somebody should help me here!
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by jaz(m): 7:51pm On Nov 16, 2014
guys, I got the same situation. my suv got towed away while I was busy buying stuff at computer village. my car was parked by the kerb of the road and behind a swat of other cars. I was neither causing traffic nor was I obstructing nothing.

got out of the village 30 mins later and my car was gone. I went to PWD to find out what my offense was and I was told I was obstructing traffic. WTF. got a penalty of #60k. and I am asking myself, will I be a fool to pay such monumental charges? what is their proof that I was obstructing traffic or parked wrongly ? what does a man do in this jungle called lagos??
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by Frankenstein: 8:07pm On Nov 16, 2014
Nigeria has no laws.
Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
oduastates:
Overzealous law enforcement.welcome to the law.yes ,the law can be a bit.ch.
your friend's fault here.your friend gave them justifiable cause to tow your car.
They wanted a reaction and your friend gave them .
without them ,your tow van would have taken 5 hrs to get to you ,not 30 sec.
My cousin almost went to jail in America ,for a situation not too dissimilar to yours.obstruction and disorderly conduct was the charge and this could have been easily thrown at you .
I think nairalanders in the diasporas can explain it better.
It depends on where you were towed, in downtown Chicago you'll pay $180 fine and $100 parking ticket and you could end up paying storage fee on your vehicle if you don't get it out within 24 hours, in fact you may end up forfeiting your vehicle to the city after a period of time.

1 Like

Re: LASTMA: 50k Ticket And 10k Towing Vehicle! by jaz(m): 8:54pm On Nov 17, 2014
after much persuasion I was asked to pay 30k and have my car. a fee I consider outrageous. . I was also informed by some lastma guys that cos I didn't pay #200 parking fee the area boys informed lastma to tow my car. the money is being shared by the lastma team leader and others.
they also told me that commissioner of transport for lagos knows about the shady methods lastma guys employ. they see a nice ride parked with no driver inside and they tow it away and slam it wt a huge price expecting u to negotiate

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Army Dont Wear Bullet Proof Vests / Pope Francis Storm Abia State To See Kanu PICS - CNN / NNPC: Fuel Supply Not Affected Despite Lagos Pipeline Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.