Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,218 members, 7,807,746 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? (6382 Views)

How Biblical Is Church Wedding? / Why Is Church Politics Worse Than Nigerian Politics / Is Church Attendance Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by marieolae(f): 9:26am On Sep 28, 2014
Ok we were having this debate in my house and I felt the need to come on nairaland to express my thoughts on this. Its a question that has been bothering me, which I'm yet to find the answer to.

Well we all know that Jesus emphasised the importance of his church. The bible emphasizes regular worship, bible study and fellowship with other believers. But on the other hand..

What is a christian?

Many people who do not believe in Jesus christ believe they are christians simply because they go to church. If I decide to worship God at home following his commandments at home, does this make me less of a christian?

In my church at the moment, the elders are currently having a major disagreement over money. The pastor and other leaders of the church have tried to talk to them, but all is in vain. These are the people who go to the church on Tuesdays for bible study, Thursdays for prayer meeting, Saturdays for evangelism, and on Sundays from 9am-4pm. It has escalated to the point that outsiders have heard about what is going on in the church. Is this the kind of behaviour that church-goers are meant to have?

So I just want to get your opinion.... if I refuse to go the church but decide to worship God in my house, am I worthy to be called a christian? please, I need answers !

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by ITbomb(m): 9:56am On Sep 28, 2014
It is explicitly written, 'do not neglect the gathering of the saints'.

You would agree with me that if you go to a spirit fill church, you feel recharged after each meetings.
We have the spirit of truth in us that tell us when things are not the way it suppose to be, and that is the spirit talking to you now.

My advice is that instead of you to be brought down from grace by the ones that supposed to lead you to grace, you change association. Staying away from church will bring a gradual sublime decay to your soul till it reach a point nothing else matters to you.

Don't just walk into a new church, listen to messages on TV and understand whether the pastor is talking about only your physical prosperity or he preaches love and soul upliftment, look at the life of those who attend the church, do they translate love in all their dealings or they are living a 'Pastor says' life.

Get a living church and worship, constant teaching of the word of God opens up your life to a new meaning

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by geophyscist: 10:10am On Sep 28, 2014
marieolae: Ok we were having this debate in my house and I felt the need to come on nairaland to express my thoughts on this. Its a question that has been bothering me. Which I'm yet to find the answer to

Well we all know that Jesus emphasised the importance of his church. The bible emphasizes regular worship, bible study and fellowship with other believers. But on the other hand..

What is a christian?

Many people who do not believe in Jesus christ believe they are christians simply because they go to church. If I decide to worship God at home, following his commandments at home, does this make me less of a christian?

In my church at the moment, the elders are currently having a major disagreement over money. The pastor and other leaders of the church have tried to talk to them, but all is in vain. These are the people who go to the church on Tuesdays for bible study, Thursdays for prayer meeting, Saturdays for evangelism, and on Sundays from 9am-4pm. It has escalated to the point that outsiders have heard about what is going on in the church. Is this the kind of behaviour that church-goers are meant to have?

So I just want to get your opinion, if I refuse to go the church, but decide to worship God in my house, am I worthy to be called a christian? please, I need answers !
ma
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by marieolae(f): 10:11am On Sep 28, 2014
geophyscist: ma
please could u give a reasonable contribution
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by XketchDesigns(m): 10:13am On Sep 28, 2014
I noticed you have tried to improve on your spelling mistakes but your punctuation is still horrible. Keep working on it sweety.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 28, 2014
No....but go to church...dis gal u too like NL eh!

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by marieolae(f): 10:22am On Sep 28, 2014
XketchDesigns: I noticed you have tried to improve on your spelling mistakes but your punctuation is still horrible. Keep working on it sweety.
undecided grow up. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by marieolae(f): 10:26am On Sep 28, 2014
emmyspark007: No....but go to church...dis gal u too like NL eh!
yess oo
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 28, 2014
marieolae: yess oo
C ur sexy mouth like yes o...on judgement day I will b standing next to angel Michael or any angel on duty and we will review ur case..*tongue out*
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by geophyscist: 10:48am On Sep 28, 2014
marieolae: Ok we were having this debate in my house and I felt the need to come on nairaland to express my thoughts on this. Its a question that has been bothering me. Which I'm yet to find the answer to

What is a christian?

Many people who do not believe in Jesus christ believe they are christians simply because they go to church. If I decide to worship God at home, following his commandments at home, does this make me less of a christian?

So I just want to get your opinion, if I refuse to go the church, but decide to worship God in my house, am I worthy to be called a christian? please, I need answers !
marieolae the 1st question you ask youself is how,where andwhy the word christian came about.The word christian originated from the bible days in antioch.why?Humans like me and you saw a christ-like behaviour in some group of people and called them christian.Even around you people might address you as pastor base on how you behave not how often you go to church(if they address you as pastor base on how often you go to church without a good behaviour they are making mockery of you).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by geophyscist: 10:55am On Sep 28, 2014
ITbomb: It is explicitly written, 'do not neglect the gathering of the saints'.

You would agree with me that if you go to a spirit fill church, you feel recharged after each meetings.
We have the spirit of truth in us that tell us when things are not the way it suppose to be, and that is the spirit talking to you now.

My advice is that instead of you to be brought down from grace by the ones that supposed to lead you to grace, you change association. Staying away from church will bring a gradual sublime decay to your soul till it reach a point nothing else matters to you.

Don't just walk into a new church, listen to messages on TV and understand whether the pastor is talking about only your physical prosperity or he preaches love and soul upliftment, look at the life of those who attend the church, do they translate love in all their dealings or they are living a 'Pastor says' life.

Get a living church and worship, constant teaching of the word of God opens up your life to a new meaning
most people equate christian as church going and i think you are one of them.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Nobody: 11:06am On Sep 28, 2014
Change church.

That's all angry
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by XketchDesigns(m): 11:15am On Sep 28, 2014
marieolae: undecided grow up. Thanks
You're welcome. However, it wasn't a complement.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by marieolae(f): 11:17am On Sep 28, 2014
XketchDesigns:
I know that. But your contribution deserved a "thank-you" from me smiley

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by franugo(m): 11:22am On Sep 28, 2014
I wudn't know beautiful, i don't go 2 church 8 months in a yr kiss undecided
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by marieolae(f): 11:25am On Sep 28, 2014
franugo: I wudn't know beautiful, i don't go 2 church 8 months in a yr kiss undecided
why is that so?
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by debraleey: 11:46am On Sep 28, 2014
Going to church alone does not qualify one to be a christian. Just as someone stated, Christianity is behaving Christ-like. But from my point of view, a truly zealous Christian would not contemplate going to church, as he or she will want to go to any extent in serving the Lord thru service groups n so on. Even the Bible encourages us to fellowship with the brethren. Not trying to judge but even from NL alone we can see that a lot of church goers r not even Christians. A lot of us tend to be religious rather than spiritual....i've deviated already.....may God help us all n grant us understanding in Jesus' name.....Amen.......

2 Likes

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by marieolae(f): 11:51am On Sep 28, 2014
debraleey: Going to church alone does not qualify one to be a christian. Just as someone stated, Christianity is behaving Christ-like. But from my point of view, a truly zealous Christian would not contemplate going to church, as he or she will want to go to any extent in serving the Lord thru service groups n so on. Even the Bible encourages us to fellowship with the brethren. Not trying to judge but even from NL alone we can see that a lot of church goers r not even Christians. A lot of us tend to be religious rather than spiritual....i've deviated already.....may God help us all n grant us understanding in Jesus' name.....Amen.......
ok my question is..can I worship God from my house? Without going to church..Is it really bad?
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 28, 2014
marieolae: ok my question is..can I worship God from my house? Without going to church..Is it really bad?
Yes u can..but no offence it seems u r lazy
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by marieolae(f): 11:56am On Sep 28, 2014
emmyspark007:
Yes u can..but no offence it seems u r lazy
pls this is nt a personal experience. We were debating about this in my house this mornin on our way to church.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 28, 2014
marieolae: pls this is nt a personal experience. We were debating about this in my house this mornin on our way to church.
*Noted*
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 11:59am On Sep 28, 2014
XketchDesigns:

Rotflmao. You are crazy. Seriously.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 12:08pm On Sep 28, 2014
marieolae: ok my question is..can I worship God from my house? Without going to church..Is it really bad?

You need to ask yourself is there a God at the first place.

I will neglect the fact am Atheist and answer you from a neutral perspective but outside the four walls of the religion thought or dogma.

there is no command in scripture which says that a believer in Christ must attend a church building in order to worship God? This is true. Also, there are no examples of any follower of Christ going to a church building to worship God. They worshipped God by their obedience to Him in every area of life, every day of their lives. They did not worship Him by giving only one hour of their time every week to some temple made with hands.

A "Church" is basically a temple made with hands. Does God dwell in temples made with hands? Scripture tells us:

Acts 7:48, "Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"
Acts 17:24, "God...dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"

Keep in mind that the real question we seek to ask is not whether we are to worship, but how we are to worship. Perhaps the question is also where we are to do that. Are we able to do these things only in a building whose mortgage payments are being paid by a State-incorporated ecclesiastical institution, or may we obey them in our homes, or in a context of decentralized, informal, voluntary gatherings? The question before us is, need we "attend church?" Need we hear the "sermons" of special priests in order to obey the Biblical commands to exhort one another and discuss the Scriptures? Can we obey these commands if we only "attend church"?

Answer is no

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by tosyne2much(m): 12:25pm On Sep 28, 2014
Mostly unserious and spiritually handicapped christians often say they would rather stay in their house and worship God.. The fact is, we cannot be christians individually and as a people.. In the recent time, the happenings in our churches dis days warrant one not to go to church sef but we don't have to do that because they Bible still makes us understand that there's safety when christians come together

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Sep 28, 2014
Ymodulus:

I will neglect the fact am Atheist and answer you from a neutral perspective but outside the four walls of the religion thought or dogma.

there is no command in scripture which says that a believer in Christ must attend a church building in order to worship God? This is true. Also, there are no examples of any follower of Christ going to a church building to worship God. They worshipped God by their obedience to Him in every area of life, every day of their lives. They did not worship Him by giving only one hour of their time every week to some temple made with hands.

A "Church" is basically a temple made with hands. Does God dwell in temples made with hands? Scripture tells us:

Keep in mind that the real question we seek to ask is not whether we are to worship, but how we are to worship. Perhaps the question is also where we are to do that. Are we able to do these things only in a building whose mortgage payments are being paid by a State-incorporated ecclesiastical institution, or may we obey them in our homes, or in a context of decentralized, informal, voluntary gatherings? The question before us is, need we "attend church?" Need we hear the "sermons" of special priests in order to obey the Biblical commands to exhort one another and discuss the Scriptures? Can we obey these commands if we only "attend church"?

Answer is no

Am proud of you. Like seriously.

Good answer. Come to think of it. You made me turn atheist today. Lol!!
@op ymodulus gave the right perfect answer

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by valmunich(m): 12:52pm On Sep 28, 2014
Ymodulus:

Rotflmao. You are crazy. Seriously.
I'm still tryna figure out what was so funny about his comment undecided

@Topic, I don't think it's a must. Personally, I don't believe going to church establishes ones Christianity. It's all about worshipping him wif a pure heart, soul and mind. Besides, God is omnipresent they say.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by franugo(m): 1:02pm On Sep 28, 2014
marieolae: why is that so?

d church i normally attend, good tidings church, ain't in abraka where i skul so i don't boda meself...quite fortuitous 4 me since i don't even like going 2 church sef.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by franugo(m): 1:05pm On Sep 28, 2014
marieolae: why is that so?

d church i normally attend, good tidings church, ain't in abraka where i skul so i don't boda meself...quite fortuitous 4 me since i don't even like going 2 church sef. grin
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 1:10pm On Sep 28, 2014
valmunich:
I'm still tryna figure out what was so funny about his comment undecided

No all his comments above are funny. From the complements to the spelling.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by yungchop: 1:13pm On Sep 28, 2014
Even lucifer himself do go to church tongue so going to church doesn't mean you're a Christian.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Dbestmax(m): 2:09pm On Sep 28, 2014
Ymodulus:

Answer is no
I dnt argue ur belief bt friend don't u misquote d bible and confuse people
Y did jesus have to drive away marketers from the temple in jerusalem..
Why did the disciples have to gather at a place to receive anointing from the holyspirit...
Mind you the Bible said that wheresoever 2 or 3 are gathered in my name(the Lord)...I (the Lord) am in their midst
No one ever told u dat God dwells inside the church building..The church is jst a name given to a place where people gather in one faith to worship the Almighty and so dimmed to be a Holy place...

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 2:37pm On Sep 28, 2014
Dbestmax

Y did jesus have to drive away marketers from the temple in jerusalem..
And how does that relate to it been compulsory going to a church

Why did the disciples have to gather at a place to receive anointing from the holyspirit...
Does that relate to it been a must to going to church?

Mind you the Bible said that wheresoever 2 or 3 are gathered in my name(the Lord)...I (the Lord) am in their midst

Those are the lies perpetrated by the bible. However I will answer this from a non atheist point of view.

Mr how does her church or your church gathering prooves a gathering in gods name??

She said this church have misunderstanding about money and others.

Also which church in Nigeria is clean?? Is it Synagogue or Christ embassy? Or catholic?

All these churches have croaches. Members too are hypocrite that pretends to be Christ like. Some are benchbwarmers.

Do you callball this gathering in the lords name

These church gathering have wrong beliefs and interpretation and practuse is this gathering in gods name?

No one ever told u dat God dwells inside the church building..
I never said it's a a place dwelled by god I only emphasize the contrary.

The church is jst a name given to a place where people gather in one faith to worship the Almighty and so dimmed to be a Holy place...
You shoot yourself. You shoot yourself at the bolded. Do you now agree a christian must not go to church to worship god??

Beside what makes you term the church a holy place

Also support arguments with scriptural verse. Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Qualifies One To Be A Pastor? / Historically Analyzing The Crucifixtion And Resurrection Claim. / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.