Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

Messi Reign Is Over - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi Reign Is Over (3881 Views)

Do Barcelona Still Need Messi? End Of Messi's Reign at Barca? / All the News of Sunday Oliseh's Reign As Super Eagles Coach / Which Players Will Take Over From Messi And Ronaldo After Their Reign For Bd'or (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by RAKITIC: 8:24am On Sep 30, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
Messi certainly had a better World Cup than Ronaldo. However, I think that is an unfair comparison since Messi played in a far better team than Ronaldo. Portugal were awful and had a very average squad. In any case, Ronaldo was still clearly carrying an injury, not just any injury either, he apparently had pretty painful tendonitis and shouldn't have been playing at all (at the risk of his entire career). Just look what playing though tendonitis did to Owen Hargreaves!
guy stop saying trash ronaldo declared he was fit during the world cup so stop making excuse for him
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:25am On Sep 30, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: Chile had a better squad than Portugal. I am not saying a poor team can not do well at a tourney. I am saying Messi had a Super squad to perform at the World cup. CR7 did not.

Messi would not have been so amazing if he was playing for the Portuguese and CR7 playing for the Argentines.
i doubt it....messi can carry any team to the knockout stage.
He will just be a playmaker instead
As long as portugal had way better strikers than Nigeria that messi can assist ....there is no excuse.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Carmal90(m): 8:31am On Sep 30, 2014
@lietner stop acting funny,the fact that NEYMAR has scored more than messi is a standard,can you pls tell me how many has managed that feat in barcelona..... And you calling NEYMAR and average player you are joking..... DID YOU KNOW THAT @22 NEYMAR HAS SCORED 191 GOALS AND ASSISTED 100 FOR BOTH CLUB AND COUNTRY..... STILL ONLY @22
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Baddestguyp(m): 8:36am On Sep 30, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: Chile had a better squad than Portugal. I am not saying a poor team can not do well at a tourney. I am saying Messi had a Super squad to perform at the World cup. CR7 did not.

Messi would not have been so amazing if he was playing for the Portuguese and CR7 playing for the Argentines.
morning. messi in his playmaking role can help any team even Portugal, no excuse. ronaldo didn't care.about the team but himself only

1 Like

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Davidbanky(m): 8:47am On Sep 30, 2014
Messi 5goals and 8assist took them to the top of the league and I heard they are yet to concede a goal in the league, so my question for u is, what has the 10 Ronaldo goals added to the Madrid team ? Well I'll chose messi over him a thousand times, cos I love team players not ' na me do am ' type of player, that's my own little point
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:48am On Sep 30, 2014
Baddestguyp: morning. messi in his playmaking role can help any team even Portugal, no excuse. ronaldo didn't care.about the team but himself only
thats what ave been telling him....
Those teenagers Munir El Haddadi and Sandro Romirez that messi assist game to game, is he trying to say that these teenagers are better than Portugal strikers?
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:50am On Sep 30, 2014
Davidbanky: Messi 5goals and 8assist took them to the top of the league and I heard they are yet to concede a goal in the league, so my question for u is, what has the 10 Ronaldo goals added to the Madrid team ? Well I'll chose messi over him a thousand times, cos I love team players not ' na me do am ' type of player, that's my own little point
any reasonable coach would choose messi over cr7.
Its people like messi that can make anoda player a ballon d'or winner...u will see wat am saying when Neymar wins his first ballon d'or
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Davidbanky(m): 8:52am On Sep 30, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: CR7 went to the World Cup injured. He also won the Champions league, playing his heart out with an injury. He was too weak to give a good performance. Unlike Messi, that Tata (former Barca coach and present Argentine coach) was accused of saving Messi for the World Cup. A fit CR7 would have had an amazing World Cup. Remember his four goals to qualify Portugal against Sweden.

Look at the list of Messi's team mates: Aguero, Lavezzi, Di Maria, Higuain.

Look at CR7's team mates. Nani, Joao Moutinho

That's not an excuse joor, what about other teams that went far ? Colombia, atleast James was noticed, even Algeria played well, chile nko ? The same Argentina that ile very other player under performed except messi and di-Maria ? Ronaldo didn't win the final for Madrid sir, Di-Maria did, he scored the last goal and was celebrating like he did the whole work ? Ronaldo is a good player but I don't like his ego
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Baddestguyp(m): 8:53am On Sep 30, 2014
Davidbanky: Messi 5goals and 8assist took them to the top of the league and I heard they are yet to concede a goal in the league, so my question for u is, what has the 10 Ronaldo goals added to the Madrid team ? Well I'll chose messi over him a thousand times, cos I love team players not ' na me do am ' type of player, that's my own little point
exactly, ronaldo just plays for himself and not the team
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by RAKITIC: 8:59am On Sep 30, 2014
Neymar 6 goals 0 assist this season. Messi 5 goals 8 assists this season and u said neymar is setting standard for messi
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by RAKITIC: 9:06am On Sep 30, 2014
MESSI-525 matches to reach 400 goals RONALDO-631 matches to reach 400 goals
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Carmal90(m): 11:00am On Sep 30, 2014
@rakitic want to ask you simple and straightforward question, BETWEEN GOALS AND ASSIST WHICH ONE WILL YOU CHOOSE?
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Iamzuna(m): 4:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
Na wa o. Some people just dae watch baq of TV sha. How can some1 open eye and call Portugal an average team, so wetin Switzerland or Belgium cum be?
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Leitner: 4:06pm On Sep 30, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: How can you call Neymar overrated. You do not get it. He is just 22 years old. For the last four years, he has been the best player for the Brazilian national side.

He did not progress because of Tata's style of play. It did not suit Neymar.

Before he turned 22 years old, he was the best player in South America for five years.
You are missing the point. Neymar is a decent player; True that. But when people like you start rating him alongside Messi and CR7,it's called OVERRATING!. What has the dude done or won in his entire career?. You can compare him with the likes of Hazard,Reus etc. But comparing him to Messi and CR7,is the highest insult there is,a great like them can receive.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Leitner: 4:26pm On Sep 30, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: [b]
#1 Most goals scored in the 2013 calendar year

CR7 goalscoring tally (67) is higher than Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery goals combined (66).

#2 - Carried Portugal to the World Cup on his own

Certainly no one doubts that if it hadn't been for Ronaldo, Portugal wouldn't have made it to the World Cup. In 2013, CR7 scored 10 goals out of 9 appearances for the "Selecção", 4 of those coming in a decisive 2-leg playoff against Sweden.

#3 - Top goalscorer of the UEFA Champions League

Here's another proof that Ronaldo has done it better than everyone else. The Real Madrid forward finished the last Champions League campaign (2012-13) ahead of all competition, with 12 goals scored during a Merengues campaign that resisted until the semi-finals clash, where they've ended up losing against Borussia Dortmund. Messi was 3rd on this particular record, after having netted 8 goals. However and what seems to have been forgotten by many, is that Franck Ribery has only scored 1 goal, despite Bayern Munich having clinched the Champions League trophy in May.

Why I said Sniejder should have won it was not only his club performance but his World Cup performance where he scored 4 goals which was crucial to lead his country to the World Cup finals.

That is trophy haul plus World Cup performance. [/b]
1)You are full of Bullsh|t. Apart from the fact that you failed to mention that messi was injured for Months,you also still insisted sneidjer merited the award in 2010,even though Messi also outscored CR7 and outscored sneidjer also. DOUBLE STANDARD!

2) Which kain carry? . Their last match was the match he really shone in. And if you look at all his goals,unless you've decided to be biased,you should give credit to their midfielders as much as you gave CR7. All three Passes that lead to the goal were defence piercing pass that put CR7 in a one on one situation. Not trying to undermine CR7 tho,his positioning,finish was on point and without aplayer of his quality,those pass might have eventually been useless. But pls,give credit to the whole team also,it's not as if Ron dribbled his way from the 18 tothe opponent's goal.

3) Again DOUBLE STANDARD! . Messi was also highest goal scorer in 2010. So if that did not convince you then that that should make messi merit the award,why are you now using ot now to defend Ron?

Also lastly,why Isaid Ron did not worth it last year due to Ronaldo's Fans Logic. (Which include people like you) is that: for the last year's edition,there was no world cup,and the highest competition in which they both performed in I.e the Champ. LGe,Ribery performed well and won th competition as well. So if you say sneidjer merit the ballon d'orbcoz of his performance @ the WC,why are you not also saying Ribery also worth it bcoz of his performance in the Champ. Lge?
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:00pm On Sep 30, 2014
Leitner:
You are missing the point. Neymar is a decent player; True that. But when people like you start rating him alongside Messi and CR7,it's called OVERRATING!. What has the dude done or won in his entire career?. You can compare him with the likes of Hazard,Reus etc. But comparing him to Messi and CR7,is the highest insult there is,a great like them can receive.
Can you show me where I put Neymar along side Messi. Is said he will soon top him because of the dive in Messi's form and Neymar being prolific at 22.

As for Hazard, he has never been mentioned in the same Bracket as Neymar. Please at 21 years old, Real Madrid and Barcelona was fighting for Neymar signature. Neymar - 22 years - 36 goals for the National team.

Hazard - 23 years - 6 goals for his national team.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:06pm On Sep 30, 2014
Leitner:
1)You are full of Bullsh|t. Apart from the fact that you failed to mention that messi was injured for Months,you also still insisted sneidjer merited the award in 2010,even though Messi also outscored CR7 and outscored sneidjer also. DOUBLE STANDARD!

2) Which kain carry? . Their last match was the match he really shone in. And if you look at all his goals,unless you've decided to be biased,you should give credit to their midfielders as much as you gave CR7. All three Passes that lead to the goal were defence piercing pass that put CR7 in a one on one situation. Not trying to undermine CR7 tho,his positioning,finish was on point and without aplayer of his quality,those pass might have eventually been useless. But pls,give credit to the whole team also,it's not as if Ron dribbled his way from the 18 tothe opponent's goal.

3) Again DOUBLE STANDARD! . Messi was also highest goal scorer in 2010. So if that did not convince you then that that should make messi merit the award,why are you now using ot now to defend Ron?

Also lastly,why Isaid Ron did not worth it last year due to Ronaldo's Fans Logic. (Which include people like you) is that: for the last year's edition,there was no world cup,and the highest competition in which they both performed in I.e the Champ. LGe,Ribery performed well and won th competition as well. So if you say sneidjer merit the ballon d'orbcoz of his performance @ the WC,why are you not also saying Ribery also worth it bcoz of his performance in the Champ. Lge?
You are just being funny. Sniejder 2010 won the treble plus an amazing World Cup performance.

Ribery only had the treble. He did not play amazingly in the World Cup to deserve the trophy.

If Ribery was amazing in the World Cup that year, I would not argue.

1 Like

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:01am On Oct 01, 2014
Davidbanky:

That's not an excuse joor, what about other teams that went far ? Colombia, atleast James was noticed, even Algeria played well, chile nko ? The same Argentina that ile very other player under performed except messi and di-Maria ? Ronaldo didn't win the final for Madrid sir, Di-Maria did, he scored the last goal and was celebrating like he did the whole work ? Ronaldo is a good player but I don't like his ego
As for Cristiano Ronaldo, the Portuguese is actually a totally different person from the image that the media usually try to sell out and pass to the public. Selfish, cocky, or egocentric are usually words attached to many Ronaldo's psychological and profile analysis out there, but Granero categorically denies that idea

"Humility isn't just about bowing down your head. Cristiano Ronaldo is great at what he does and he knows it, so he has no problems in saying it out loud. He shows how humble he is when he still pushes himself to the limit in every single training and game, even though he's well aware of his quality. He never settles down when it concerns improving and that's what I also call humility. When I hear people saying that Cristiano Ronaldo is not humble, I simply laugh. Ronaldo is one of the most humble guys I know!"................ESTEBAN GRANERO (former CR7 team mate).

3 Likes

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:08am On Oct 01, 2014
amedave: guy you are wrong, please you are a man city fan , same as I am, if you watched Argentina at the later part of the world cup, you would see how he was exhausted because of the role he was playing. Pls stop the talk of ronaldo single handedly carried Portugal, that's a fat lie. which country did he score 4 against?, if he can do as you claim why did he not qualify Portugal as the first in his group, no player alone can single handedly carry a team
CR7 4 goals took Portugal to the World Cup. If not his form, they would never have been there. They were beaten by Albania recently that caused Paulo Bento to be sacked.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by amedave(m): 12:27am On Oct 01, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: CR7 4 goals took Portugal to the World Cup. If not his form, they would never have been there. They were beaten by Albania recently that caused Paulo Bento to be sacked.
guy if he scored four and they conceived ten what's the use??
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Leitner: 12:16pm On Oct 01, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: You are just being funny. Sniejder 2010 won the treble plus an amazing World Cup performance.

Ribery only had the treble. He did not play amazingly in the World Cup to deserve the trophy.

If Ribery was amazing in the World Cup that year, I would not argue.
Dafuq is this

The last ballon d'or CR7 won was for the 2013 calendar year and 2013 was not a world cup year. So whyare you using WC to justify Ribery not winning the award. The biggest competition played in the year ronaldo and Ribery were in the Final 3 candidates was the Champ Lge,in which Ribery won and also Played well .

So again,if you used Sneidjer performing in the biggest competition then(I.e the WC) to try and back your claim that that's why he should have won the award why are you not also saying Ribery should have won it bcoz he performed [b]in the biggest competition in the year,2013 which is The Champ Lge?. And also if I might add,winning it which Sneidjer didn't in his own time
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:10pm On Oct 01, 2014
Leitner:
Dafuq is this

The last ballon d'or CR7 won was for the 2013 calendar year and 2013 was not a world cup year. So whyare you using WC to justify Ribery not winning the award. The biggest competition played in the year ronaldo and Ribery were in the Final 3 candidates was the Champ Lge,in which Ribery won and also Played well .

So again,if you used Sneidjer performing in the biggest competition then(I.e the WC) to try and back your claim that that's why he should have won the award why are you not also saying Ribery should have won it bcoz he performed in the biggest competition in the year,2013 which is The Champ Lge?. And also if I might add,winning it which Sneidjer didn't in his own time
[b]If Sniejder had an amazing treble winning season without having an outstanding World Cup performance or if it was not a World Cup year, he would not have deserved the award. Just life, Robbery last season.

Why I said Sniejder deserves it is because it was a World Cup year and he also added an amazing World Cup performance to the treble.

So I am not saying is because of just the biggest trophy but the total performance. Ribery's performance last season was not better than Sniejder in 2010 because he added a World Cup amazing performance.

So do not use that biggest trophy ideology.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by ClintonNzedimma(m): 7:35am On Oct 02, 2014
Nobody should ever compare Neymar with Hazard.....Neymar is way better.
He has won Confederations cup and was crucial for Brazil@ the mundial
Am not saying Neymar is in the same class as messi/cr7 but everybody knows he is gonna surpass them one day in terms of goals scored for country.

1 Like

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by sleekier(m): 10:54am On Oct 03, 2014
Carmal90: DID U KNOW MESSI HAS MISSED A PENALTY THIS SEASON..... You should accept the fact that ronaldo is not on Messi level presently
Bros, Ronaldo also missed a penalty d 2nd day u made ur comment here & he also tapped in another penalty in d same game. So, talk another one.
Thank God to penalties. D king of Penarity.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by drpialabi: 11:32am On Oct 03, 2014
ClintonNzedimma: Cr7 will suffer in the hands of big team if he sticks only to scoring only....a team like chelsea will reduce his influence but if messi will shine when he takes the playmaking role against a big team.
may u tell me what messi's playmaking role was when barca played malaga
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by paulhq(m): 7:21pm On Oct 07, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:

Chelsea fans will even tell you that If you want goals, call DIEGO COSTA,If you want assist, call FABREGAS, if you want both, call LIONEL MESSI

I don't know when this was posted, or to where it was posted , but it was shared to me . I have no problem with Ronaldo or Messi , I just have problem with your last statement . I am a chelsea fan (since I was born) , and the statement you made is very less likely to be said by a Chelsea fan .

As a matter of fact , 70% of true Chelsea fans prefer Ronaldo to Messi , this is not from sentiment , I know at least five people .

So don't misquote again oh , Clinton! Clinton!

1 Like

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by clemmonce(m): 8:15pm On Oct 07, 2014
Carmal90:
Lionel messi is considered by many as the greatest player of all time including me,but for the first in God know how many season,there is a new twist to situation for him @barca,because there comes a man called NEYMAR.......... NEYMAR is such an enterprising player that even messi cannot just rest on his laurels............... THE QUESTION IS WILL NEYMAR OUTSHINE MESSI OR THE CASE WOULD BE AS BEFORE.......... Personally I think we are seeing the beginning of an end of messi glorious career.......... ANY CONTRARY VIEW?
definitely his reign will come to end. he cant be on top of his game for ever.....
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Carmal90(m): 8:19pm On Oct 07, 2014
neither messi nor ronaldo worth this stressss.......... Cos they are influenced,by who? Don't know.
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:40pm On Oct 07, 2014
paulhq:

I don't know when this was posted, or to where it was posted , but it was shared to me . I have no problem with Ronaldo or Messi , I just have problem with your last statement . I am a chelsea fan (since I was born) , and the statement you made is very less likely to be said by a Chelsea fan .

As a matter of fact , 70% of true Chelsea fans prefer Ronaldo to Messi , this is not from sentiment , I know at least five people .

So don't misquote again oh , Clinton! Clinton!

OGHENEMINE how far na?
So u don come Nairaland abi?
Back to the matter.
Am not talkling of preference.
If you ask Stephen Keshi, he may say Ronaldo is better than Messi but will rather have Messi on his team because his abilities.
He can score like Ronaldo or Diego Costa, Dribble like Neymar or Hazard and Assist like Fabregas, Ozill or Di Maria.
This guy is a complete Hybrid.
Ronaldo is a complete player,I respect him for that but Messi has complete abilities.
Right Now, i dont even want to see Messi or Cr7 winning ballon d'or.
I want Neymar to Shine
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by Carmal90(m): 7:42am On Oct 08, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:

OGHENEMINE how far na?
So u don come Nairaland abi?
Back to the matter.
Am not talkling of preference.
If you ask Stephen Keshi, he may say Ronaldo is better than Messi but will rather have Messi on his team because his abilities.
He can score like Ronaldo or Diego Costa, Dribble like Neymar or Hazard and Assist like Fabregas, Ozill or Di Maria.
This guy is a complete Hybrid.
Ronaldo is a complete player,I respect him for that but Messi has complete abilities.
Right Now, i dont even want to see Messi or Cr7 winning ballon d'or.
I want Neymar to Shine
stop dreaming NEYMAR kooo ozil niiii
Re: Messi Reign Is Over by ba7man(m): 7:53am On Oct 08, 2014
CR7 was shinning in the BPL, a league know for its physical nature. Do you think Stoke will watch Messi ghost pass them over nd over again without hurting him??

CR7 was reigning seasons before Messi discovered his magic.

Messi came and CR7 reigned alongside him.

Now messi is fading and CR7 is still shinning.

Messi peaked slightly higher than CR7 but CR7 has been shinning longer.

2 Likes

Re: Messi Reign Is Over by M4gunners: 3:53pm On Oct 08, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:

Thats part of the reason why cr7 couldnt perform at the world cup.
If Cr7 doesnt have an assistant, he wiil just be an average world class player, but if Messi doesnt have an assistant, it wont shake him.
Come to think of it, al those players, you mentioned, were they scoring at least one goal a game and assisting at the same time?....NO.
Those guys arent in Messi's class

Chelsea fans will even tell you that If you want goals, call DIEGO COSTA,If you want assist, call FABREGAS, if you want both, call LIONEL MESSI
Don't mind them . Any day anytime Messi remains the best.He carry Argentina to World Cup Final,where are his competitors then?Football is not all about Club sides only.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Manchester United Jersey Number 7 Always Worn By Legends.(photo) / Tips Master Soccer Preductions / The Profile Of Some Top Nigerian Table Tennis Players,ranking And Clubs (Pics).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.