Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,478 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:00 PM

Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? (1167 Views)

Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College (2) (3) (4)

Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? by Nobody: 5:55am On Sep 29, 2014
Are you a recent graduate with no work experience, making it challenging for you to secure a job that you desire. Have you ever thought about working for free, in the form of an Unpaid Internship or through Volunteer work? Yeah I know it is not easy working for free sad.

This option clearly may not be suitable for everyone, this is for people who are still living at home with parents or with guardians who are able to pay for your transportation cost to work.

Let’s face it people we live in a highly competitive job market right now. There are not enough jobs available, at the same time individuals with higher qualifications and years of work experience are seeking the same jobs the recent graduates are looking for as well.

So what do you do?
I say work for Free and these are my reasons:

1) Gain Work Experience: Working in a significant job / company for free will provide you with the much needed job experience that you need. Being in a current work highly increases your chances of getting another job. Employers find candidates who currently have a job more attractive than those who do not.

2) Networking: This is the highly required these days to get a job or even in your own personal business. It is easier for you to network with other professionals when you are in a job. Also if you have a reputation to do great work, whenever there is a job opening; more than likely you will be considered for the position. Your colleagues will also be on the lookout for you, should an opportunity be available from their network of friends as well.

3) Mental State: Depending on your personality, being in a job will save you from having a mental breakdown. It will save you from depression and it will boost your confidence which again will make you more attractive to those around you.

The pros outweigh the cons and you will come out on top a better person. I wish you good luck on your job search or if you are like me; you can always use your God given gifts and talents to make a living for yourself. REMAIN POSITIVE!

I will like to hear from you. Thank you!

2 Shares

Re: Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? by MissJennifer(f): 8:44am On Sep 29, 2014
Actually,most recent graduates like me have thought about that and are willing to work for free but the issue is finding where to gain relevant experience!

Re: Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? by amscholar001: 11:39am On Sep 29, 2014
@OP Do you know of establishment that offers such opportunities?
Re: Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? by Marcleee(m): 12:53pm On Sep 29, 2014
You are very right. I'm a graduate of Elect/Elect Engrg, 24yrs old just finished my NYSC 3months ago. I have been looking for volunteer jobs not even a paying job so I can get experience but no way. Even free jobs no dey Nigeria. Na wa o
Re: Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 29, 2014
@MissJennifer, @amscholar001, @Marcleee: I agree with you all, it can be very challenging to find volunteer opportunities in your chosen field. It might be easier to find volunteer opportunities in the social sciences and with NGOs, however you can highlight the transferable skills on your CV that will help support your job application to your desired career.

@Marcleee check out the Baker Hughes Engineering Internship Recruitment 2015 (Port Harcourt) and Graduate Trainees Recruitment at Japaul Oil and Maritime Services (Lagos) both opportunities are listed below at @ Job List Nigeria.
[url][/url]http://joblistnigeria.com/category/internships-in-nigeria

You guys can also checkout these opportunities as well.
[url][/url]http://volunteerinnigeria./tag/volunteer-in-lagos/
[url][/url]http://foodbankng.com/current-volunteer-opportunities/

If you need an excellent CV/Cover Letter or Mock Interview prep that will definitely get you selected, check out [url][/url] http://www.anthuriuminternational.com/international.html

Keep up the faith...
Re: Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? by Marcleee(m): 4:28pm On Sep 29, 2014
Thank you so much. I already applied for the japaul since last week and I'll check the other link now. I wasn't even applying for volunteer jobs in engineering, was applying in the health sectors. Walked round phc going from one NGO to another. God dey. Thanks so much once again.
Re: Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? by amscholar001: 5:50pm On Sep 29, 2014
@DreamNavigator Thankz for your concern and assistance.
Re: Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Sep 29, 2014
@Marcleee: You are doing an awesome job already, you are investing your time and your hard work will soon pay off by God's grace. Please keep me posted and I will keep my ears to the ground for you. Thank you.

@armscholar001: You are welcome! Anytime...

Cctv Installation & Maintenance / The FREE TRAINING IS HOLDING LIVE FROM MARCH 15th- 17th / Social Workers/students-lets Meet Here