Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

The Fourth Dimension- Part 5 - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Fourth Dimension- Part 5 (601 Views)

The Fourth Dimension -Part 6 / The Fourth Dimension - Part 2 / The Fourth Dimension - Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fourth Dimension- Part 5 by Sheikwonder(m): 1:55pm On Sep 29, 2014
In the previous part of this series,I explained Spacetime as being the term best used in describing the fourth dimension.Here,i'll go into details on that.

At the turn of the 20th century a young scientist stumbled upon a discovery that would shake the world.
His name? Albert Einstein. His discovery? The theory of relativity.

I will do my best to stay on point here and show how relativity and spacetime are connected.

The crux of this theory is that the basic phenomena of time is not absolute but relative to the frame of reference of an observer.This countered earlier notions proposed by scientists such as Isaac Newton that time was fixed irrespective of location,gravity or velocity.Einstein proved with calculations that time is not a straight line,but a curve.

Boom!
Are we still together?

What does it mean,that time is curved?
It means that depending on certain factors,time can be viewed as being slowed down or sped up.Essentially,time can be manipulated.

How,you may ask?

Stay with me and you'll see...
Re: The Fourth Dimension- Part 5 by theSpark(m): 1:33pm On Sep 26, 2015
Following. Tag me when the next episode is out.
Re: The Fourth Dimension- Part 5 by Sheikwonder(m): 5:06pm On Sep 26, 2015
theSpark:

Have you been following from part 1?
Re: The Fourth Dimension- Part 5 by Sheikwonder(m): 5:13pm On Sep 26, 2015
theSpark:

I stopped at part 6 due to lack of interest.If I get a small following,I may continue.Check my profile to see the parts from 1-6.

You can check out part 6 via:

www.nairaland.com/1928493/fourth-dimension-part-6
Re: The Fourth Dimension- Part 5 by paranorman(m): 6:30pm On Sep 26, 2015
What effect does gravity have on time?! Is there an equation connecting the two?
Re: The Fourth Dimension- Part 5 by Sheikwonder(m): 7:32pm On Sep 26, 2015
paranorman:
What effect does gravity have on time?! Is there an equation connecting the two?

I shall summarize...

In general relativity there's an effect known as gravitational time dilation.The greater the gravitational potential,the slower time is. i.e If a clock is placed close to a gravitational source,time will pass slower than a clock placed farther from that source.Time has thus been 'dilated' in a sense.

On earth,the time difference is negligible [nanoseconds] and is thus not clearly felt. However over a very long time frame and great distances,the time lag can be remarkable.

For instance,placing 2 atomic clocks,one at the peak of Everest,the other below sea level over a time period of 4.6 billion years [earth's age] will cause the clock at Mt. Everest to be 39hrs faster than the one below! This is a fact and has been proven and it's not due to clock malfunction but the warped effect of gravity on time.

The maths is much complex though u can check online..
Re: The Fourth Dimension- Part 5 by paranorman(m): 7:44pm On Sep 26, 2015
Sheikwonder:

I shall summarize...

In general relativity there's an effect known as gravitational time dilation.The greater the gravitational potential,the slower time is. i.e If a clock is placed close to a gravitational source,time will pass slower than a clock placed farther from that source.Time has thus been 'dilated' in a sense.

On earth,the time difference is negligible [nanoseconds] and is thus not clearly felt. However over a very long time frame and great distances,the time lag can be remarkable.

For instance,placing 2 atomic clocks,one at the peak of Everest,the other below sea level over a time period of 4.6 billion years [earth's age] will cause the clock at Mt. Everest to be 39hrs faster than the one below! This is a fact and has been proven and it's not due to clock malfunction but the warped effect of gravity on time.

The maths is much complex though u can check online..
hehehe.. That's no ordinary physics. Thanks. Do well to answer my question on part 6.
Re: The Fourth Dimension- Part 5 by theSpark(m): 10:31pm On Sep 26, 2015
Sheikwonder:

Have you been following from part 1?
Yes

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between BRIBE And LOBBY ? / When Photoshop Goes Wrong / Jonathan Unveils N100 Commemorative Notes(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.