Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,660 members, 7,801,913 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola (6153 Views)

Jonathan Declares National Emergency On Ebola / Update On Ebola Virus: salt therapy as prevention? / Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by dont8(m): 1:19am On Sep 30, 2014

Ebola virus

he Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, says the government is prepared to provide funding for any research endeavour that can lead to finding a cure for the Ebola Virus Disease.

The governor, who challenged scholars in the country to move beyond earning titles to contributing meaningfully to the development of Nigeria, spoke on Monday during the disbursement of grants to 31 beneficiaries.

The beneficiaries are those whose research proposals have been approved by the Lagos State Research and Development Council.

The governor urged Prof. Maurice Iwu to come up with a lucid proposal on his Bitter Kola theory, adding that the government would be willing to sponsor it.

Fashola said, “Ph.D holders and scholars are respected not because of the finery of their titles, but because of their intelligence and what they have to offer the society. The state has taken a giant step by disbursing research grants to scientists and researchers who have proposals on what can move our society forward.

“I am curious about Prof. Maurice Iwu’s research on how Bitter Kola can help cure some diseases. I am challenging him that he should reopen the frontiers of that research and present it to us. It is something that we would be looking at.”

The governor said it was disappointing that when the country was faced with the problem of Ebola, none of the much talked about probable solutions came from Nigeria or Africa. He added that Ebola scourge presented opportunities for researchers and scholars to write their names in the book of history.

“If you look at the last epidemic challenge that we faced, all of the offers and solutions ─ ZMapp and Dan ─ among others, came from outside Africa where the problem is. And we have scientists here who carry all sorts of titles.

“This is the time to earn your titles. All the Ph.D and professors must now live up to their names. There will be no more excuses. I don’t have even masters, I am ordinary. We must know the people that have contributed to the development of our country ─ Not all these awards that are given, all these doctorates that have not really advanced our development,” he said.

Earlier, the Chairman of the state research council, Prof. Olufemi Bamiro, said the grant ranged between N3m and N5m per beneficiary.

http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-offers-funding-for-research-on-ebola/

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by dont8(m): 1:21am On Sep 30, 2014
Good development from Lagos State Government once again, I wish other States can be proactive as this State.

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by Abbey2sam(m): 1:52am On Sep 30, 2014
How can you open a thread and the ftc

Nawa o

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by Sunnycliff(m): 1:53am On Sep 30, 2014
seeking for cheap credit!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by otijah(m): 1:54am On Sep 30, 2014
Abbey2sam: .
this midnight naim u dey book space, na wa for u ooo
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by Nobody: 1:54am On Sep 30, 2014
LASG always a step ahead.

There are two governors in Nigeria,Fashola,and others.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by akom0908(m): 1:55am On Sep 30, 2014
They should make better funding in reducing poverty...ebola is almost dead but poverty is still alive
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by msmon(m): 1:57am On Sep 30, 2014
Good actions but I'm skeptical about the need for that. I'd rather use the fund to make research on Boko Haram or preferably Poverty, we've seen almost the demise of Ebov but not that of BH and poverty.
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by Moshkom(m): 1:59am On Sep 30, 2014
Every State wit hin Wahala...

Ebola to Lagos

Boko to Kano

1 Like

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by CharlieMaria(m): 2:03am On Sep 30, 2014
Nice..
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by Idrismusty97(m): 2:06am On Sep 30, 2014
The funding we gave to Liberia supposed to be on frontpage too! We are also training some of their health workers. Mods do the needful!

https://www.nairaland.com/1926051/ebola-fg-train-health-workers

1 Like

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by NaLaugh: 2:06am On Sep 30, 2014
Abeg make dem use qualified scientists before next time we go see headline:

[size=14pt]Ebola Researchers all Ebola Positive.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by ibrews: 2:12am On Sep 30, 2014
Good
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by cstans(m): 2:13am On Sep 30, 2014
Abeg we get scienctics or researcher 4 naija
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by BodyKiss(m): 2:14am On Sep 30, 2014
Sunnycliff: seeking for cheap credit!

You dey seriously madd O! angry

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by Nobody: 2:15am On Sep 30, 2014
This is a man who thinks like a leader. He is in a class of his own.

Babatunde Raji Fashola, Nigeria needs you. Please do the needful.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by hrykanu231(m): 2:15am On Sep 30, 2014
thats true, lawyers too especially SAN's should equally take cases they know supports justice not representing most of our corrupt politicians on glaring cases we know they r guilty in that case we can all contribute our quotas n better d society. nice one tho
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by shogz89: 2:20am On Sep 30, 2014
Nice one... Morale booster, motivation of the highest order
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by Nobody: 2:20am On Sep 30, 2014
Yomieluv: LASG always a step ahead.

There are two governors in Nigeria,Fashola,and others.

I thought Lagos State has a medical college. What is LASU supposed to be doing in medicine?

All these loud-mouthed politicians like to make news while a small lab in Canada is doing wonders on Ebola research. Must Fashola tell the whole world that he is ready to fund research in that direction?

What research fund has LASG made available to her own institution - LASU? Just lousy noise making for political popularity!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by kennyola: 2:20am On Sep 30, 2014
Why am i always having feeling that Fashola will make a better president for this nation?

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by shogz89: 2:22am On Sep 30, 2014
Sunnycliff: seeking for cheap credit!
Why don't you present your research and see whether it is cheap credit or expensive one. .. Empty vessels makes noise louder than sango's thunder, even the judgement trumpet

14 Likes

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by Panshow(m): 2:24am On Sep 30, 2014
Our Professors and PhD holders are busy doing politics.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by j4sure(m): 2:51am On Sep 30, 2014
eeehhhh
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by fr3do(m): 2:52am On Sep 30, 2014
Wow that's nice.
I think a joint government-private initiative will be better, safer and more effective.

You can't research on a virus without the virus, and we can't just let any researcher bring in a sample.
Researchers will also need to have security operatives attached to them.
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by fr3do(m): 2:54am On Sep 30, 2014
kennyola: Why am i always having feeling that Fashola will make a better president for this nation?

Because of sentiments, tribal sentiments.
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by Desdola(m): 2:58am On Sep 30, 2014
How many standard research lab do we have in Nigeria? This is a clarion call for researchers to go deep since the funding is there.
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by Nobody: 3:11am On Sep 30, 2014
Google To shut down its social network (ORKUT)
https://www.nairaland.com/1926261/google-shut-down-orkut-social
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by earthgreeners(m): 3:18am On Sep 30, 2014
Xetima:
[s]
I thought Lagos State has a medical college. What is LASU supposed to be doing in medicine?

All these loud-mouthed politicians like to make news while a small lab in Canada is doing wonders on Ebola research. Must Fashola tell the whole world that he is ready to fund research in that direction?

What research fund has LASG made available to her own institution - LASU? Just lousy noise making for political popularity![/s]

Get yourself a working brain before you comment next time.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by Nobody: 4:02am On Sep 30, 2014
A lot of Nigerians disregard Professor Iwu solely for his stewardship of INEC! Even with Jesus at INEC, there would still be electoral fraud in Nigeria. Professor was well ahead of his peers in Ebola research. He is a well respected fellow and scholar in the field of Pharmacognosy and Pharmacy. Won numerous awards in US and UK....PRIOR TO BECOMING INEC CHAIRMAN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Iwu

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by free2ryhme: 4:14am On Sep 30, 2014
good move
Re: Lagos Offers Funding For Research On Ebola by tejpot(m): 4:30am On Sep 30, 2014
Xetima:

What research fund has LASG made available to her own institution - LASU? Just lousy noise making for political popularity!
this man is a learner

(1) (2) (Reply)

KA / To Slim Down My Rear End / COVID-19 Update For May 5 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.