Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,823 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:24 PM

YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria (9829 Views)

Skill Acquisition/entrepreneurship Is Not A Guarantee For Making Money! / Academic Excellence Is Overrated! / Academic Excellence Is Overrated! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Olutola88(m): 10:04am On Sep 30, 2014
A nairalander once tried to address this issue but I wasn't satisfied with his approach and his argument.

This piece is not to discourage Nigerians from aspiring to become business owners, it is just to correct some wrong orientation many of us have.

It is conspicuous that the Entrepreneurship Gospel in Nigerian began to have many Ministers and a whole lot of followers ( most of which are blind followers) when the rate of unemployment in Nigeria got out hands. Today, every Tom, Dick and Harry tells you that Entrepreneuship is the only way and that one just has to subscribe to it in order not to become a slave in life.

On several occasions I ask myself why most of these preachers of Entrepreneurship are not well-to-do? I am a youth corper almost through with service and I can't count the number of “preachers” that have stormed our Community Development Service(CDS) meetings since I started NYSC. The pathetic thing is that 99% of them won't make Entrepreneurship attractive to you. Why won't you want to subscribe to their preaching if they came with the best of vehicles, looked smooth, dressed elegantly, appeared sophisticated and cited several tangible achievements. The Yorubas will say: “Eni to ba fe dasho funi, to run e laa koko wo”. Meaning: “When someone promises to buy you a dress, it is wise to consider what he is putting on”.

It is not that I do not cherish entrepreneurship, the only thing I have issues with is the wrong way the Entrepreneuship loyalists go about their preaching.

1. The Preachers want everyone to be business owners forgetting that we all can never be Entrepreneurs:

Entrepreneurship shouldn't be for the masses, it should be for the chosen ones. The Entrepreneuship art is not as easy as those preachers say, I tell people that Entrepreneuship is no child's play. Why is that over 70% of new businesses in Nigeria pack up in the first two years? If we all become entrepreneurs, who will be employees? After all, they say be a job creator and not a job seeker? If we all own businesses, who would we employ to work for us? The truth is that a society/economy need not more than 20% of the population to be entrepreneurs.

We now see most university graduates going into make-up artistry, tailoring, catering, wire works, barbing etc. We now have too many duplicated annoyingly small businesses, I have over 10 graduates that are makeup artists on my bbm contact and over 10 that are into tailoring. I would have been very elated if they were doing very well. The truth is that they are still looking for jobs.

The reason for the failure of most of these too small businesses is the over duplication( everybody is doing the same thing). Another problem I sense is that the bigger businesses enjoy Economies of Scale making them have higher chances of stability and making more profits.

2. Most of the preachers are not realistic in their preaching:

Preachers of entrepreneurship do not inform people of how tough entrepreneuship could be, they make it seem like owning a business is like planting a money tree that matures in about one year. They fail to inform the prospective business owners of the potential 1001 challenges, they make it seem it will be rosy all the way. This could be one of the reasons why these fresh business owners pack up whenever they face little challenges( Entrepreneurship is for people that never give up). I read that Dangote's uncle gave him 500,000 naira business loan in the 70s to start trading? Chai! If that's true, do you know how much 500K worth that time? *laughs in swahili*

3. Most Preachers are not diplomatic in their preaching, they sometime discourage job seekers and even “console” themselves by calling employees slaves:

Why on earth should they preach entrepreneuship aggressively? Sell your thing, I sell my thing. Why do you have to say people waste time going to school? Why do you have to say job seekers are wasting their time? Why should you say employees are slaves to employers ( like say you they do better than them*lmao*). No wonder someone once said: Dear Entrepreneurship preacher, I DON't MIND BEING A SLAVE TO SHELL *ROTFL*
The most humorous thing is that most of these preachers became entrepreneurs not because they so much fancied it but because say na condition make dem crayfish bend. *chai! did I just speak pidgin? No wonder my grammar is bad* lmao!

I'm tired of typing already, so I'll like to conclude this my boring story.

I know the benefits of Entrepreneurship and I tried it first as a 16 year-old teenager. It was successful as the business expanded in 10 folds from that time till date. Nevertheless, I'll be selling off the business soon because I've outgrown the business. I said this to let readers know that I'm not an anti-entrepreneuship. I'll definitely own a big successful business someday(by HIS special grace) but before then I want to get a very good job. I have that thing for something in the corporate world,I want to be the most performing employee before becoming the a successful businessman, I want to serve someone first( after all, mighty Aliko Dangote first served his uncle before he was given a business loan to start his own business).

NIGERIANS OVERRATE ENTREPRENEURSHIP!

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by OsoDupe(f): 10:13am On Sep 30, 2014
Na true u talk jare, sometimes I wonder, if everybody do d same thing, who will patronise us.

2 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:37am On Sep 30, 2014
Op, you v made your points.
1st Bullet
I m an entrepreneur but also work for an institution.
I will never encourage someone to just get into entrepreneurship without properly educating the person.
2nd Bullet
I think the slavery most entrepreneur facilitators talk about is when someone is earning like N25,000 in an organisation & not someone working with shell earning close to N500,000.
Last Bullet
However, its tough in Nigeria for an entrepreneur to get starting funds. This alone is enough to discourage many & keep them in the dungeon of slave workers for long.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Olutola88(m): 10:44am On Sep 30, 2014
OsoDupe: Na true u talk jare, sometimes I wonder, if everybody do d same thing, who will patronise us.
I think there should be a solution to this. Maybe the too small businesses should merge and do something much more meaningful. The problem is just that people are scared of partnership in Nigeria.
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Olutola88(m): 10:54am On Sep 30, 2014
OkikiOluwa1: Op, you v made your points.
1st Bullet
I m an entrepreneur but also work for an institution.
I will never encourage someone to just get into entrepreneurship without properly educating the person.
2nd Bullet
I think the slavery most entrepreneur facilitators talk about is when someone is earning like N25,000 in an organisation & not someone working with shell earning close to N500,000.
Last Bullet
However, its tough in Nigeria for an entrepreneur to get starting funds. This alone is enough to discourage many & keep them in the dungeon of slave workers for long.
incisive
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by macklef(m): 2:13pm On Sep 30, 2014
OP yes, you are not far from the truth.
You raised very realistic points and i can't help but agree.
Enterprenuership is sweet but it is not easy. Enterpreneurship is also diffrent from business deals, some mistake this together.
If i get a contract to supply certain items or execute a quick deal, thats business deal.
Enterpreneurship however is an art. A longtime building in the process. It dosnt really pay off in the short run, it takes years to get to that level.
Personally for me, illd keep my good job, amasss wealth thru savings n be using it to sail a business, rather than learn 1 yeye skill 100 people on my street are already doing.
Sitting in one shop and be waving at people passing by.

To drive entrepreneurship money is needed, all ye school leavers with no job running into enterpreneur, it pays only to make you survive(put food on the table) not to make you the man you want to be, well maybe in 15yrs time tho.
How many tailors own smooth cars, or bid makers, or soap makers or all this petty enterpreneurship.
Wanna be an enterpreneur? Take the risk, invest on publicity, invest on structure, invest on service. Uld smile.

And to all you info marketers overating enterprenuers pls stop. Ur hungry ur marketing hunger to other people by deceiving them. Like our importers that will tell you they buy item for 50 naira n sell them for 1000naira, dey will not tell you total codt was 600naira o. God is watching you all

7 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Olutola88(m): 2:31pm On Sep 30, 2014
macklef: OP yes, you are not far from the truth.
Enterprenuership is sweet but it is not easy. Enterpreneurship is also diffrent from business deals, some mistake this together.
If i get a contract to supply certain items or execute a quick deal, thats business deal.
Enterpreneurship however is an art. A longtime building in the process. It dosnt really pay off in the short run, it takes years to get to that level.
Personally for me, illd keep my good job, amasss wealth thru savings n be using it to sail a business, rather than learn 1 yeye skill 100 people on my street are already doing.

To drive entrepreneurship money is needed, all ye school leavers with no job running into enterpreneur, it pays only to make you survive(put food on the table) not to make you the man you want to be, well maybe in 15yrs time tho.
How many tailors own smooth cars, or bid makers, or soap makers or all this petty enterpreneurship.
Wanna be an enterpreneur? Take the risk, invest on publicity, invest on structure, invest on service. Uld smile.

And to all you info marketers overating enterprenuers pls stop. Ur hungry ur marketing hunger to other people by deceiving them. Like our importers that will tell you they buy item for 50 naira n sell them for 1000naira, dey will not tell you total codt was 600naira o. God is watching you all
I'm still clapping for you
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by OnyeEgo1(m): 3:14pm On Sep 30, 2014
5 steps to be productive:
1. Get a degree/diploma/skill
2. Get employed
3. Go into savings.
4. Start investing productively.
5. Be a philantropist

this is the approach i am currently using, many pple think i am mad, tried entrepreneuship 4 sometym, came out with stories dat touches d heart,
before u become a master it is advisable u first serve, hence u wud just be a struggling master.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by alentyno: 3:39pm On Sep 30, 2014
Olutola88:

The reason for the failure of most of these too small businesses is the over duplication( everybody is doing the same thing).

GBAM!!!!!! That's just the bane!. Thoughts indeed travel. For the past few weeks this is what I have found my self thinking. If you are gonna be a copy-cat forget it! You won't succeed. Look @ nairaland for instance since its creation we started see nairasoccer.com, nairacar.com, nairanews.com, naira this and naira that! And the most annoying part of it is that they design their website to look like seun's own by all means. it's a waste of time! Ever since since linda ikeji and few other people came with this blogging thingy today millions have swarmed into it! angry I for example was an ardent follower of for more than 1 year until I bumped into nairaland only to discover that all they do there is copy from NL and paste on theirs and they will be forming like info gurus. Trust me from that day till this very second (for more than 3 yrs now) I never smell their website again!! angry I don't even know if it still exists...... That's why I keep saying that the 1st rule of entrepreneurship is HAVE A TIGHT AND ORIGINAL IDEA! Originality will always sell. You can even stylishly copy others but make sure you bend it towards yours e.g what whatsapp did to 2go
grin or how twitter scoped a little bit of facebook but never copy and paste! angry
So lack of originality is the chief reason why nigerians struggle with entrepreneurship.

3. Most Preachers are not diplomatic in their preaching, they sometime discourage job seekers and even “console” themselves by calling employees slaves:

Exactly as for me I don't even give them the slightest of my ear

No wonder someone once said: Dear Entrepreneurship preacher, I DON't MIND BEING A SLAVE TO SHELL *ROTFL*

If being paid N500,000/month is slavery then william wilberforce wouldn't have abolished it

macklef:

Perfect description!!!!!!

7 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by marvelling(m): 4:26pm On Sep 30, 2014
Olutola88: A nairalander once tried to address this issue but I wasn't satisfied with his approach and his argument.

This piece is not to discourage Nigerians from aspiring to become business owners, it is just to correct some wrong orientation many of us have.

It is conspicuous that the Entrepreneurship Gospel in Nigerian began to have many Ministers and a whole lot of followers ( most of which are blind followers) when the rate of unemployment in Nigeria got out hands. Today, every Tom, Dick and Harry tells you that Entrepreneuship is the only way and that one just has to subscribe to it in order not to become a slave in life.

On several occasions I ask myself why most of these preachers of Entrepreneurship are not well-to-do? I am a youth corper almost through with service and I can't count the number of “preachers” that have stormed our Community Development Service(CDS) meetings since I started NYSC. The pathetic thing is that 99% of them won't make Entrepreneurship attractive to you. Why won't you want to subscribe to their preaching if they came with the best of vehicles, looked smooth, dressed elegantly, appeared sophisticated and cited several tangible achievements. The Yorubas will say: “Eni to ba fe dasho funi, to run e laa koko wo”. Meaning: “When someone promises to buy you a dress, it is wise to consider what he is putting on”.

It is not that I do not cherish entrepreneurship, the only thing I have issues with is the wrong way the Entrepreneuship loyalists go about their preaching.

1. The Preachers want everyone to be business owners forgetting that we all can never be Entrepreneurs:

Entrepreneurship shouldn't be for the masses, it should be for the chosen ones. The Entrepreneuship art is not as easy as those preachers say, I tell people that Entrepreneuship is no child's play. Why is that over 70% of new businesses in Nigeria pack up in the first two years? If we all become entrepreneurs, who will be employees? After all, they say be a job creator and not a job seeker? If we all own businesses, who would we employ to work for us? The truth is that a society/economy need not more than 20% of the population to be entrepreneurs.

We now see most university graduates going into make-up artistry, tailoring, catering, wire works, barbing etc. We now have too many duplicated annoyingly small businesses, I have over 10 graduates that are makeup artists on my bbm contact and over 10 that are into tailoring. I would have been very elated if they were doing very well. The truth is that they are still looking for jobs.

The reason for the failure of most of these too small businesses is the over duplication( everybody is doing the same thing). Another problem I sense is that the bigger businesses enjoy Economies of Scale making them have higher chances of stability and making more profits.

2. Most of the preachers are not realistic in their preaching:

Preachers of entrepreneurship do not inform people of how tough entrepreneuship could be, they make it seem like owning a business is like planting a money tree that matures in about one year. They fail to inform the prospective business owners of the potential 1001 challenges, they make it seem it will be rosy all the way. This could be one of the reasons why these fresh business owners pack up whenever they face little challenges( Entrepreneurship is for people that never give up). I read that Dangote's uncle gave him 500,000 naira business loan in the 70s to start trading? Chai! If that's true, do you know how much 500K worth that time? *laughs in swahili*

Why on earth should they preach entrepreneuship aggressively? Sell your thing, I sell my thing. Why do you have to say people waste time going to school? Why do you have to say job seekers are wasting their time? Why should you say employees are slaves to employers ( like say you they do better than them*lmao*). No wonder someone once said: Dear Entrepreneurship preacher, I DON't MIND BEING A SLAVE TO SHELL *ROTFL*
The most humorous thing is that most of these preachers became entrepreneurs not because they so much fancied it but because say na condition make dem crayfish bend. *chai! did I just speak pidgin? No wonder my grammar is bad* lmao!

I'm tired of typing already, so I'll like to conclude this my boring story.

I know the benefits of Entrepreneurship and I tried it first as a 16 year-old teenager. It was successful as the business expanded in 10 folds from that time till date. Nevertheless, I'll be selling off the business soon because I've outgrown the business. I said this to let readers know that I'm not an anti-entrepreneuship. I'll definitely own a big successful business someday(by HIS special grace) but before then I want to get a very good job. I have that thing for something in the corporate world,I want to be the most performing employee before becoming the a successful businessman, I want to serve someone first( after all, mighty Aliko Dangote first served his uncle before he was given a business loan to start his own business).

NIGERIANS OVERRATE ENTREPRENEURSHIP!

This is very provocative! I don't completely agree with you though. I believe in establishing multiple streams of income (this belief does not exclude getting a job and being paid monthly salary).
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by alentyno: 4:47pm On Sep 30, 2014
marvelling:

This is very provocative! I don't completely agree with you though. I believe in establishing multiple streams of income (this belief does not exclude getting a job and being paid monthly salary).
That's the only thing that makes sense!.

1 Like

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Olutola88(m): 5:10pm On Sep 30, 2014
alentyno:
GBAM!!!!!! That's just the bane!. Thoughts indeed travel. For the past few weeks this is what I have found my self thinking. If you are gonna be a copy-cat forget it! You won't succeed. Look @ nairaland for instance since its creation we started see nairasoccer.com, nairacar.com, nairanews.com, naira this and naira that! And the most annoying part of it is that they design their website to look like seun's own by all means. it's a waste of time! Ever since since linda ikeji and few other people came with this blogging thingy today millions have swarmed into it! angry I for example was an ardent follower of for more than 1 year until I bumped into nairaland only to discover that all they do there is copy from NL and paste on theirs and they will be forming like info gurus. Trust me from that day till this very second (for more than 3 yrs now) I never smell their website again!! angry I don't even know if it still exists...... That's why I keep saying that the 1st rule of entrepreneurship is HAVE A TIGHT AND ORIGINAL IDEA! Originality will always sell. You can even stylishly copy others but make sure you bend it towards yours e.g what whatsapp did to 2go
grin or how twitter scoped a little bit of facebook but never copy and paste! angry
So lack of originality is the chief reason why nigerians struggle with entrepreneurship.

If being paid N500,000/month is slavery then william wilberforce wouldn't have abolished it

very logical contribution

3 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Olutola88(m): 10:04pm On Sep 30, 2014
Someone should kindly help me move this topic out of this career section
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:28pm On Sep 30, 2014
op, keep deceiving yourself.
Nigeria has not gotten to that level where we worry. about too much entrepreneurship.
There are way more unemployed graduates who need to pick up more skills and become entrepreneurs .
Yes, working for sb is slavery
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 30, 2014
I must confess that this write up is super amazing. entrepreneurship is not meant for everybody

3 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:50pm On Sep 30, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku: op, keep deceiving yourself.
Nigeria has not gotten to that level where we worry. about too much entrepreneurship.
There are way more unemployed graduates who need to pick up more skills and become entrepreneurs .
You are a slave for serving the market with whatever zhit you are selling .... Also, you are working for the producer of what you are selling !!

Keep deceiving yourself in your petty trading !! InyinyaAgbaOku International !

1 Like

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 3:01am On Oct 01, 2014
donroxy: You are a slave for serving the market with whatever zhit you are selling .... Also, you are working for the producer of what you are selling !!

Keep deceiving yourself in your petty trading !! InyinyaAgbaOku International !

And who told you am a petty trader? Is trading the only entrepreneurship you know ?
Who told you i am an entrepreneur to start with?
When they tell you the truth, you start looking for an escape route.

Do i even tell you big business men that were once apprentices, not to talk of petty traders?
And lemme tell you, you are not under compulsion to any producer, a trader is his own oga, the slaves to the producer are the factory workers.
A trader doesn't need to be there by 8am, else he looses his job.
Fact is, Nigerians need more entrepreneurs to start with, we can't start worrying about it as if we have had enough. that's more unemployment.

4 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Olutola88(m): 7:01am On Oct 01, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku: op, keep deceiving yourself.
It's conspicuous you don't get the gist

2 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Olutola88(m): 7:14am On Oct 01, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

And who told you am a petty trader? Is trading the only entrepreneurship you know ?
Who told you i am an entrepreneur to start with?
When they tell you the truth, you start looking for an escape route.

Do i even tell you big business men that were once apprentices, not to talk of petty traders?
And lemme tell you, you are not under compulsion to any producer, a trader is his own oga, the slaves to the producer are the factory workers.
A trader doesn't need to be there by 8am, else he looses his job.
Fact is, Nigerians need more entrepreneurs to start with, we can't start worrying about it as if we have had enough. that's more unemployment.
No one is worrying over too much of Entrepreneurship. We are just concerned about how you people preach entrepreneurship, where are disturbed about the wrong way you people approach entrepreneurship, we are baffled about how duplicated and fragmented these small businesses are, we are bothered about how many unsuccessful businesses we have, We are worried about absence of originality and devoid of Innovations! We think prospective Entrepreneurs need intensive orientation, training, Guidance, Enabling environment and Essential resources before embarking on that journey that is for men

4 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:44am On Oct 01, 2014
Olutola88: No one is worrying over too much of Entrepreneurship. We are just concerned about how you people preach entrepreneurship, where are disturbed about the wrong way you people approach entrepreneurship, we are baffled about how duplicated and fragmented these small businesses are, we are bothered about how many unsuccessful businesses we have, We are worried about absence of originality and devoid of Innovations! We think prospective Entrepreneurs need intensive orientation, training, Guidance, Enabling environment and Essential resources before embarking on that journey that is for men

Lolz. I know some of them suck at it esp because our university education didn't prepare us to be innovative .
Opening a biz is not what you preach .
But it also sucks to be looking for jobs for many years.
Those looking for other jobs while starting their entrepreneurship are bound to suck by the way, cos they are already lacking commitment.

2 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Vstuffs(m): 9:17am On Oct 01, 2014
Nice write up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by abayomi23(f): 9:47am On Oct 02, 2014
In as much as i appreciate the writers opinion, i hav just few words to say.
Starting your own buz is good, u can call it whatever name u like i.e enterprenure or something else. Running a successful buz involves lots of things.
Nigerian , young,old, men,women hav failed to discover demselves. Why do we hav the problems we are facing as a nation,its because we have not discovered ourselves. The difference between success and failure is self discovery. The difference between nigeria and china is self discovery, the difference between nigeria and america is self discovery.
A nigerian politician will rather loot the treasury , buy 500 cars he never needed.
Relating this to business is just simple.you will find out that on the street of major cities in china so many people can sell same product and they are successfull but come to nigeria and see people doing thesame thing and are struggling.my brother, even if u hav all the academic degrees, finish your national youth service, get the best employment and you fail to discover yourself at the tail end you might suffer for it.
Though, success is relative, if i can feed my family and take care of them i think i am ok by it.just think well and i pray u discover yourself.
Building a successful buz can be challenging but i know one day we will get there.

5 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by acorntree(m): 8:20pm On Oct 08, 2014
macklef:
OP yes, you are not far from the truth.

many of this info marketer are hungry lion. They just do copy and paste and look for fools who they can sell to. Generally entrepreneurship is really overated. Those who even preach this are not successful in what ever they are doing. At times I look at some of these preacher and felt sorry for them. I see where a petty trader who even claimed to be an entrepreneur , hardly make end meet. All stock in shop is not even up to 200k.
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by hardeyswaggz: 9:07pm On Oct 08, 2014
i was never trained to be an entrepreneur, however my late father made a living and became a rich man from cocoa business, too bad he left me too early. although i never knew how he started d biz, i know that those times can never be compared with these times. things have changed apparently. if you have a business idea and you don't have fund, you are goina have serious problems. though our entrepreneur preachers will tell you to have the passion first but no need to deceive ourselves, all business fire will quench if u have no fund. on the other hand, gein employed is becoming more difficult day by day. you can only get a GOOD job by God's grace, emphasis on a good job. all in all, i blame this on a bad government and decaying system. just do what you have to do and leave others opinion out of it. it can only take time, you will get there.

2 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Canme4u(m): 9:20pm On Oct 08, 2014
Nice write up.
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Canme4u(m): 9:34pm On Oct 08, 2014
alentyno:

you are on point.
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by olutunde12(m): 9:41pm On Oct 08, 2014
You are still very new in the market. One even said he is just serving. Not many people think about setting up themselves at that level. Can you tell us the total number of nigerians working with all the oil companies combined? Do you know that Nigeria produces a minimum of 600,000 graduates (University graduates) and about 1,000,000 more from other institutions per year? How many of these are quaranteed jobs in Shell and Chevron as you said? Does entrepreneuship only entail learning tailoring and hair dressing? What about looking at an aspect of the course you studied? A friend started producing paint after our B.sc in chemical engineering. I made jest of him then. Today he is one of the most succesfull paint producers in Nigeria. He has a job he can leave for his children and grand children after him. Can you give your shell job to your child? Everybody is entitled to his opinion. Do what you feel is good for you and leave the rest.

13 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Youngzedd(m): 10:38pm On Oct 08, 2014
olutunde12:
You are still very new in the market. One even said he is just serving. Not many people think about setting up themselves at that level. Can you tell us the total number of nigerians working with all the oil companies combined? Do you know that Nigeria produces a minimum of 600,000 graduates (University graduates) and about 1,000,000 more from other institutions per year? How many of these are quaranteed jobs in Shell and Chevron as you said? Does entrepreneuship only entail learning tailoring and hair dressing? What about looking at an aspect of the course you studied? A friend started producing paint after our B.sc in chemical engineering. I made jest of him then. Today he is one of the most succesfull paint producers in Nigeria. He has a job he can leave for his children and grand children after him. Can you give your shell job to your child? Everybody is entitled to his opinion. Do what you feel is good for you and leave the rest.

Thanks and good night.
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by admiral007: 11:42pm On Oct 08, 2014
Ur point is clear n precised bro.
After they av succeeded in siphoning wat belongs to d masses for their family use (Merited Jobs) n av elongated their stay in office tru dubious means, d now turn to Entrepreneurship as d only way out for d youth n teaming population of graduates in Naija.

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Swiftboy(m): 1:54am On Oct 09, 2014
olutunde12:
You're more realistic than the bias OP...it rocks to be an Entreprenuer! Am talking innovation and creativity not some dumbass artisan. I know a guy who graduated from university with 3rd class computer scientist but he's making it big with programing. He works free lance for the government and cooperate organizations to troubleshoot for them. He started with zero capital. This people just wanna be suffering themselves looking for shell and chevron thats not guaranteed even with first class.
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by chuqudy(m): 10:00am On Oct 09, 2014
I like your post. It is both discouraging and motivating. To be successful in entrepreneurship , you must have strong passion for the area of entrepreneurship you are venturing to. Dangote has passion for business and that was why he succeeded. For instance, you can't force yourself to be a musician where the passion and talent is not there. With talent, creativity and passion in doing a particular thing, one can excel beyond others imaginations. Dangote did it. Wizkid did it. Other are doing it. Even the chevron, shell etc people mentioned here were initially small businesses started by some individuals like you and me. See http://nairamagnates..com/ , a blog created in celebration of Nigeria's 54th independence anniversary for the purpose of inspiring, motivating and creating enterprising Nigerians at home and in diaspora.

THANKS.
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 09, 2014
Yes, everyone mustn't be an entrepreneur but instead of staying at home for months waiting for a job that isn't forth coming, why not venture into something no matter how small and then make it big with time.

All these companies you're craving to work today were started by people and most of them started small, so do not discourage people please. Nigeria even needs more entrepreneurs to curb unemployment.

You're asking who will then be the employees if everyone ventures into entrepreneurship? ? Many entrepreneurs are employees too, for eg, Some shell staff have servicing companies etc.. The thing is that small entrepreneurs work for higher/bigger entrepreneurs, and when those small entrepreneurs become big, they will still see growing entrepreneurs to work for them...

Anyone that reads that your piece and changes his/her mind on becoming an entrepreneur is just silly...

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hop In; Lets Share The Challenges We Face Getting Transportation To Work / Who Teacher Epp - By Kazrem / Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.