Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,492 members, 7,781,479 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:14 PM

First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja (1617 Views)

Checkout This Lady Commercial Driver In Lagos (photos) / Nigerian Driver In Canada Loses License For Insulting Gay Men Kissing In His Cab / Ever Forgotten Your Balance With A Commercial Bus Conductor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja by eldega: 10:44am On Sep 30, 2014
Getting a commercial cab in Abuja to take you to where ever you are going to is one funny thing. Forget the fact that there are so many cabs in Abuja and you can always charter one whenever you are going out but when you think of the expense, you might decide to enter normal commercial cab where four will sit at the back, one at the front plus the driver making six in the cab. There are so many places around town that you cant take commercial cab except you charter one privately and the amount to pay depends on your negotiation skill.
The funniest thing about this is that when you are coming from outskirt to Town (i.e Airport rd to Wuse,Area 10,Area 1, Secretariat e.t.c), you see different people at different bus stop with different hand sign language depicting where they are going to in town. Sometimes you find this type of situation in town too.
I remembered my first day of going out, I told my uncle I wanted to visit someone in Karu that how will I get there…..
”Thats simple now”..he said.
“From the express, enter cab going to area 1, then from area 1 u board another bus going to Karu”
As a Lagos guy, I believed that should be easy for me…I got to the junction of our estate, I saw so many people at the bus stop, definitely going to different places but one common thing about them was that they all had either one hand sign or the other but I just stood there waiting for a cab to call Area 1, Area 1, Area 1 like I was used to in Lagos. Like play like play, people were reducing at the bus stop, I will just see a cab stop and someone will enter without calling anywhere. I was forced to ask someone after like 30mins how I will see cab to Area 1 and the guy said..”just raised your index finger up or when you see a cab raising it index finger up, that’s Area 1”
Have been here for like 30mins and I cant even count how many cab that has passed raising their index finger up…..i was able to find my way to karu that day and I learnt so many other hand signs when I got home that day…………….I was told its different sign when you are going to Wuse, Jabi, Airport Junction, Berger, Area 1, Area 10 etc. Another thing was that, you have to know your bus stop as most times the driver wont even call bus stop except you tell him where you are dropping.
This was totally different from what I was use to in Lagos. This days when am at the bus stop and someone ask “pls, how do I get to wuse"…I take my time to explain different hand signs and what their meanings….though its funny being at the bus stop and you see different hands going up and down.

2 Likes

Re: First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja by tempest01(m): 10:47am On Sep 30, 2014
Lol....who no go no know
Re: First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja by Aitee1: 11:03am On Sep 30, 2014
Hehehehehehehe

What of the middle finger sign

cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 30, 2014
Aitee1: Hehehehehehehe

What of the middle finger sign

cheesy cheesy cheesy

That one na universal signal im sure people for mars sef use it
Re: First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja by Aitee1: 11:08am On Sep 30, 2014
youmour:

That one na universal signal im sure people for mars sef use it

grin grin grin
Re: First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja by Spicylate(f): 11:13am On Sep 30, 2014
welcome to abj..
Re: First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja by eldega: 11:43am On Sep 30, 2014
Spicylate: welcome to abj..

As in ehn........i was on APO bridge one day like that going to Sahad store in Area 11.......I saw cab going toward that straight road but just waving their hands down whenever they passed by, i had to take cab there for N250.
It was on my way back i asked a friend and he told me i should have just enter one of those cab waving hand and they will drop me at sahad junction for N50 or N100.............................
Re: First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja by hushmail: 11:49am On Sep 30, 2014
d hand 4 d pic resemble Oyibo hand

abi d op na 9ja Oyibo? grin
Re: First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 30, 2014
hushmail: d hand 4 d pic resemble Oyibo hand

abi d op na 9ja Oyibo? grin

Area 1, 2, 10 ahahahaha !!
Conductor be like .... Wuse, 'se ,'se , 'se , 'se, 'se ..... .... The only time you will hear ''wuse'' is first call ... The next one be 'se' , 'se' , 'se'' ......

Cab is sweet but your car is sweeter ..... Welcome to Centre of Unity , Home of All !!
Re: First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja by Spicylate(f): 11:00pm On Sep 30, 2014
eldega:

As in ehn........i was on APO bridge one day like that going to Sahad store in Area 11.......I saw cab going toward that straight road but just waving their hands down whenever they passed by, i had to take cab there for N250.
It was on my way back i asked a friend and he told me i should have just enter one of those cab waving hand and they will drop me at sahad junction for N50 or N100.............................
yea its N50. and am sure it annoyed you when you saw that you can actually walk the distance. so sorry perhaps i could be of help whenever you want to go somewhere and is lost.
Re: First Time Entering A Commercial Cab In Abuja by eldega: 5:11pm On Oct 01, 2014
Spicylate:
yea its N50. and am sure it annoyed you when you saw that you can actually walk the distance. so sorry perhaps i could be of help whenever you want to go somewhere and is lost.

So annoying.....thanks so much dear

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Romantic Getaways In Nigeria / Dubai 2019 / How Can I Send Food Stuffs Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.