Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? (1382 Views)

Photos: Security Council Meeting In Abuja / Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East / Nigeria Or South Africa , Which Is More Violent ? I Need To Know Urgently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by EVarn(m): 12:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
On The Surface,the Ideal Choice For The New African UN Permanent Security Council Member Would Have Been South Africa;As It Is,Other Countries Like Egypt,Libya And Nigeria Are Either Battling Insurgency,terrorism And Religious Violence,Chronic poverty And Corruption. But Taking At South Africa, They Arent Exactly The Cream On The Cake, South Africa After Apartheid Rose To Become Africa's Largest,strongest And Most Diverse Economy,they Were The First And Only African Country To Assemble A Nuclear Weapon Reactor,though It Was Later Dismantled.But Over 20 Years Later,south Africa Is Now Riddled With Corruption,wasteful Government Spending And Violence.South Africa Has One Of The Highest Killing And Robbery Rate In The World,with Increasing Violence And Unemployment.Nigeria Has Risen Far Above SA In Economy.Recently,the Nigerian President,Goodluck Jonathan Called For The UN Permanent Security Council Reform To Include Other Countries,but Is There Any African Country Developed Or Willful Enough To Be A Member?
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by blessida: 12:29pm On Sep 30, 2014
There re so many things that needs to be put into consideration,
1. the influence of this states in its region and most importantly its sub region,
2. the economic viability of this state. of course we wont want our permanent representative to be a nation that is solely dependent on foreign european aid and relief, take for example a country like GHANA or SOMALIA ( i am sorry for the comparison #Harsh reality)
3. the role that such a nation have played in the maintenance of peace in this region, such nation must have shown a reasonable amount of interest in the maintenance of peace and must have commited reasonable amount of resource in this direction from the north to the south of africa.
4. Such nation must have a history of engagements in the diplomatic resolution of conflict across africa.

it must be a nation for " black africans and by black africans" a nation that reflects the victories and failures of africa, a nation that is not free from the attacks of international propaganda
SUCH A NATION MUST BE NIGERIA

EXCERPT 4RM A POST BY OVERHYPEDSTEVE

1 Like

Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 30, 2014
. Non will get tje seat for now. I see Brazil having a realistic chance. Nigeria's problem is just too much. Negative image and reputation, corruption backed by government, our foreign relations is dwindling, bad Économy, insurgent battling and other vices. SA is not better either.
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by dlox147(m): 12:38pm On Sep 30, 2014
Firstly looking at the impact of both Nigeria and south Africa on their neighbors/regions Economically i will go for Nigeria as the west African economy can be said to be better than that of south Africa.

Secondly south Africa have been seen to shy away from responsibilities concerning peace keeping and military intervention, which the Nigerian Govt. gladly undertake.

Thirdly, while the Nigerian Economy is the biggest in the continent, there is still strong indication that it will grow bigger and stronger, if we continue to improve our Economic drivers.

My personal Opinion would be Nigeria not be cos i'm Nigerian plus even Egypt and Libya are regarded as Middle eastern countries than African
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by dlox147(m): 12:42pm On Sep 30, 2014
barcanista: . Non will get tje seat for now. I see Brazil having a realistic chance. Nigeria's problem is just too much. Negative image and reputation, corruption backed by government, our foreign relations is dwindling, bad Économy, insurgent battling and other vices. SA is not better either.
the Brazillian Economy is currently shaky and some of the problems you highlighted about Nigeria are also present in Brazil, while you have to look at the roles of these countries when it comes to military intervention and all.
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
dlox147: the Brazillian Economy is currently shaky and some of the problems you highlighted about Nigeria are also present in Brazil, while you have to look at the roles of these countries when it comes to military intervention and all.
These "growing" economies have a lot to Ðo before thinking of to join the UN Security Council as a Permanent member. Our focus should be improving the standard of living of Nigerian people, get back our once respected image and fix a lot of rot in the system before talking of a Permanent seat.
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by dlox147(m): 12:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
considering the role of the security council? which is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security, with powers to establishment of peace-keeping operations, the establishment of international sanctions, and the authorization of military action. With the credentials of all the countries in contention no doubt Nigeria is most Qualified.
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by dlox147(m): 12:58pm On Sep 30, 2014
barcanista: These "growing" economies have a lot to Ðo before thinking of to join the UN Security Council as a Permanent member. Our focus should be improving the standard of living of Nigerian people, get back our once respected image and fix a lot of rot in the system before talking of a Permanent seat.
how do you get your respect in the world without a negotiating power? which is what being a member of that seat gives to you. now we that status you can actually influence certain economic decisions that will directly impact on your economy.
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 30, 2014
dlox147: how do you get your respect in the world without a negotiating power? which is what being a member of that seat gives to you. now we that status you can actually influence certain economic decisions that will directly impact on your economy.
You put the cart b4 the horse or behind?
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by dlox147(m): 1:20pm On Sep 30, 2014
barcanista: You put the cart b4 the horse or behind?
the primary role of the UNSC is to maintain peace and security, and for that, Nigeria has been at the forefront of international peace-keeping efforts and being the largest “exporter of peace” in Africa and the fourth largest Troop Contributing Country to UN peace-support operations behind Pakistan, Bangladesh and India.... All i'm trying to say is that Nigeria is the most qualified poverty or no poverty that should be a discussion for another day.
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 30, 2014
dlox147: the primary role of the UNSC is to maintain peace and security, and for that, Nigeria has been at the forefront of international peace-keeping efforts and being the largest “exporter of peace” in Africa and the fourth largest Troop Contributing Country to UN peace-support operations behind Pakistan, Bangladesh and India.... All i'm trying to say is that Nigeria is the most qualified poverty or no poverty that should be a discussion for another day.
largest exporter of peace while our houses are burning? Bros, that to me shouldn't be our basic priority. Let's get the country fixed first
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by hushmail: 4:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
wht is ur point op?

R u saying dat d UNSC should include other con3 as perm member or dat 9ja deserves a perm seat in UNSC?

Either way it is a good idea bt is nt gonna happen anytime soon

so live wt it
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by BlackTechnology: 4:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
First question is

What are the criterias that qualifies a nation to being part of UN permanent seat.
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by EVarn(m): 5:22pm On Sep 30, 2014
[quoteauthor=hushmail]wht is ur point op?

R u saying dat d UNSC should include other con3 as perm member or dat 9ja deserves a perm seat in UNSC?

Either way it is a good idea bt is nt gonna happen anytime soon

so live wt it [/quote] I'm Not Specifying Which Country To Be Given The UNSC Seat, In My Opinion,no African Country Have The Full Qualifications Or Capacity Yet,but If It Is To Be Awarded In Future I Would Say It Should Go To Nigeria.Nigeria Has Been In Peace Keeping Operations In Africa And All Over The World Moreso Than Any Other African Country,Nigeria's Economy Is A Rapidly Growing World Economy,Nigeria Has Powerful Allies:USA,Russia,China,India,UK,etc And It Is More Accepting Of Western Interractions While At The Same Time Extremely Independent.If Nigeria Could Brush Up Its Acts By Eradicating Corruption,poverty And Provide The Necessary Environment For Development By Providing Stable And Steady Power And Infrastructure,then I Tell U Nigeria Will Be A World Power.
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by ActivateKruger: 3:32pm On Oct 24, 2014
dlox147:
Firstly looking at the impact of both Nigeria and south Africa on their neighbors/regions Economically i will go for Nigeria as the west African economy can be said to be better than that of south Africa.

Secondly south Africa have been seen to shy away from responsibilities concerning peace keeping and military intervention, which the Nigerian Govt. gladly undertake.

Thirdly, while the Nigerian Economy is the biggest in the continent, there is still strong indication that it will grow bigger and stronger, if we continue to improve our Economic drivers.

My personal Opinion would be Nigeria not be cos i'm Nigerian plus even Egypt and Libya are regarded as Middle eastern countries than African

South Africa shying away from "responsibilities"?

What are we doing in Sudan? DRC? Burundi?Who forms part in first ever UN Foreign Intervention Brigade?

Post facts not opinions.
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by iterator25: 5:12pm On Oct 24, 2014
Nigeria still contributes more troops to UN peacekeeping
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by EVarn(m): 10:38pm On Oct 26, 2014
ActivateKruger:

South Africa shying away from "responsibilities"?

What are we doing in Sudan? DRC? Burundi?Who forms part in first ever UN Foreign Intervention Brigade?

Post facts not opinions.
what are you saying,throughout this ebola saga,you saffers havent raised a finger either by contributing funds and or health personnels,saying "it is an ECOWAS problem,it is in nigeria's jurisdiction",your troops in DRC lack basic amenities,so what responsibilities do you bear?
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by EVarn(m): 10:43pm On Oct 26, 2014
iterator25:
Nigeria still contributes more troops to UN peacekeeping
that true,nigeria contribute the most troops to the UN than any other african country.
Re: New African UN Permanent Security Council Member: Nigeria Or South Africa? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Oct 26, 2014
dlox147:
the primary role of the UNSC is to maintain peace and security, and for that, Nigeria has been at the forefront of international peace-keeping efforts and being the largest “exporter of peace” in Africa and the fourth largest Troop Contributing Country to UN peace-support operations behind Pakistan, Bangladesh and India.... All i'm trying to say is that Nigeria is the most qualified poverty or no poverty that should be a discussion for another day.

(1) (Reply)

Bob Marley’s Legacy Is Going Up In Cannabis Smoke? / General Buhari Conferred Chieftaincy Title Of Ogbuagu 1 Of Aba By HRH Eze Ikonne / Why The Alfas Or Imams Are Not Prophesising Unlike The Pastors?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.