Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,547 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:45 PM

When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan (4090 Views)

Nigeria's Goodluck Jonathan: Five Reasons Why He Lost / Boko Haram Beaten In A Month - Nigeria's Goodluck Jonathan bbc news/world / My Ambition Is Not Worth The Blood Of Any Nigeria - Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by henchamb(m): 12:40pm On Sep 30, 2014
i saw this video of president jonathan addressing PDP supporters in Lagos last 2 weeks and he Said when you are in Lagos, You are almost in Nigeria. am confused with this statement. does this mean that lagos is not in nigeria or that mr prsident is really clueless. how can a ph.d holder misconstrue his statement. your views please.

2 Likes

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by erunz(m): 12:50pm On Sep 30, 2014
@Op Guy u are more clueless for not being able u understand what the president meant by that statement. When u are in Lagos u are almost in Nigeria meaning Lagos have virtually all ethnic groups in Nigeria, Living in it. I.e Lagos is a mini Nigeria. See as u come dey embarrass urself all cos of hatred. Mtewwwwww

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by jmoore(m): 12:58pm On Sep 30, 2014
^^
Best explanation.

EOD.

4 Likes

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by OgologoDimkpa: 1:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
erunz: @Op Guy u are more clueless for not being able u understand what the president meant by that statement. When u are in Lagos u are almost in Nigeria meaning Lagos have virtually all ethnic groups in Nigeria, Living in it. I.e Lagos is a mini Nigeria. See as u come dey embarrass urself all cos of hatred. Mtewwwwww
I'm sure the OP is an APShit member.
He wanted to mock GEJ and ended up exhibiting his stupidity to the whole world.
How sad?

OP, go and dust your Brighter Grammar Textbook and begin to read it asap embarassed

13 Likes

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by MayorofLagos(m): 1:04pm On Sep 30, 2014
henchamb: i saw this video of president jonathan addressing PDP supporters in Lagos last 2 weeks and he Said when you are in Lagos, You are almost in Nigeria. am confused with this statement. does this mean that lagos is not in nigeria or that mr prsident is really clueless. how can a ph.d holder misconstrue his statement. your views please.

Politically, Yorubaland is a nation all by itself.....we happen, geographically, to be in a pseudo-relationship with another political body called Nigeria.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by KwoiZabo(m): 1:15pm On Sep 30, 2014
OP You know get sense. More still, Video or #adonbilivit

2 Likes

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by Thugpassion: 1:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
MayorofLagos:

Politically, Yorubaland is a nation all by itself.....we happen, geographically, to be in a pseudo-relationship with another political body called Nigeria.

Yeye pikin

4 Likes

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by Ilaje44(m): 1:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
erunz: @Op Guy u are more clueless for not being able u understand what the president meant by that statement. When u are in Lagos u are almost in Nigeria meaning Lagos have virtually all ethnic groups in Nigeria, Living in it. I.e Lagos is a mini Nigeria. See as u come dey embarrass urself all cos of hatred. Mtewwwwww

Yes, your explanation might be what Jonathan meant, but that statement he made is totally wrong, and the OP's question is completely justified.

I have listened to a lot of Dr. Jonathan's speech and interviews, mostly very dull I must say: And in no instance has the guy shown himself to be a learned person that he perhaps is. The statement would have been more pardonable without that word "almost", because Lagos is indeed part and parcel of Nigeria.

@OP Could you possibly send me a link to the video sequence or the topic he was addressing in the speech? Thanks very much in appreciation of your troubles.

12 Likes

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:55pm On Sep 30, 2014
MayorofLagos:

Are ekiti, osun, Oyo, mini Nigeria too?

1 Like

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by MORNDEW(m): 1:55pm On Sep 30, 2014
MayorofLagos:

biggot

1 Like

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by arewafederation: 2:12pm On Sep 30, 2014

You and your likes are more clueless than envisaged. The statement is gramatically flawed because it shows Lagos isn't part of Nigeria.

Isn't it pathetic how unintelligent Nigeria's no.1 citizen sounds and yet, some rats will begin to mock a much more intelligent Buhari for speaking with a native accent.

6 Likes

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by Tranquill: 2:23pm On Sep 30, 2014
Ilaje44:

I have listened to a lot of Dr. Jonathan's speech .And in no instance has the guy shown himself to be a learned person.[/color]

Make una come see learned person.

4 Likes

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by kokoA(m): 2:24pm On Sep 30, 2014
for your mind now you don answer question abi? That statement totally made no sense. He could have passed his message better using different choice of words.. "When I touch my prick, it feels as if I'm touching a part of my body".. grin How e sound for your ears?

5 Likes

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by fr3do(m): 4:38pm On Sep 30, 2014
No man's Lagos is an integral sum of Nigeria
Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by realK: 6:57am On Oct 05, 2014
Lagos is part of Nigeria and it is wrong to make a statement like "when you are in Lagos, You are almost in Nigeria". This was the effect of direct translation from mother tongue to English.

Put in proper context of campaign, Mr. President should have said 'when you campaign in Lagos, you have almost covered the whole country as there people from all over the country in Lagos'.

1 Like

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by chinwike2(m): 7:02am On Oct 05, 2014
@OP are you on a cocktail of drugs ? dont waste my time again, be warned !
Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by philantoxx(m): 7:08am On Oct 05, 2014
the context GEJ used the word was correct.no Hullabaloos about it.
Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by Splashme: 7:20am On Oct 05, 2014
OP is an APShit man.
It's in their blood
Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by coputa(m): 7:51am On Oct 05, 2014
It is crystal clear that our president does not posses oratory skill,ditto,most of our leaders,.this does not affect his intelligence,your education does not give you oratory power,it is a gift.Some people can speak well but lacks wisdom..At veast we can still decipher what he says unlike Buhari that speaks swahili

4 Likes

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by realK: 7:52am On Oct 05, 2014
philantoxx:
the context GEJ used the word was correct.no Hullabaloos about it.
With all due respect sir, the statement is wrong as it conveys a sense of distance from Lagos to Nigeria. It is different from 'when you are in Lagos, you are almost every in Nigeria" which conveys a sense of presence or dominance.

Let us be objective in our comments especially when it comes to assessing grammatical correctness. People outside the country hold Nigerians in high esteem when it come to English Language but the way we are going about it these days leaves much to be desired.

2 Likes

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by ifyalways(f): 7:53am On Oct 05, 2014
OP, ntorrrr.
Otele cheesy

If you don see/ live in Lagos, you don see Nigeria finish be dat noni, IMO.

1 Like

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by free2ryhme: 8:06am On Oct 05, 2014
henchamb:
i saw this video of president jonathan addressing PDP supporters in Lagos last 2 weeks and he Said when you are in Lagos, You are almost in Nigeria. am confused with this statement. does this mean that lagos is not in nigeria or that mr prsident is really clueless. how can a ph.d holder misconstrue his statement. your views please.

You will forever remain confused since you fail to interpret thoughtfully

No be curse that's who you are
Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by coputa(m): 8:08am On Oct 05, 2014
realK:

With all due respect sir, the statement is wrong as it conveys a sense of distance from Lagos to Nigeria. It is different from 'when you are in Lagos, you are almost every in Nigeria" which conveys a sense of presence or dominance.

Let us be objective in our comments especially when it comes to assessing grammatical correctness. People outside the country hold Nigerians in high esteem when it come to English Language but the way we are going about it these days leaves much to be desired.
Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by coputa(m): 8:11am On Oct 05, 2014
realK:

is English language our mother tongue,must you speak english with fluency as those that were born with it before you can be respected,does it guarantee a good life and a develope economy,in Africa..on the contrary,it has set us miles backward in terms of development,

1 Like

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by DONADAMS(m): 8:43am On Oct 05, 2014
Nt his mother's toungue...
Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by realK: 8:52am On Oct 05, 2014
coputa:
is English language our mother tongue,must you speak english with fluency as those that were born with it before you can be respected,does it guarantee a good life and a develope economy,in Africa..on the contrary,it has set us miles backward in terms of development,

Please do not change the topic, if I want to talk about development, I sure know my way around to the related topics. It is important that you address the question/concern raised.

1 Like

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by Abbey2sam(m): 8:55am On Oct 05, 2014
henchamb:

Technically Mr president is correct.......
Because lagos is somewhere outside the map of nigeria

but I don't think that's what he meant when he said that.

Just like some said, lagos is habitat to almost all the tribes nigeria
Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by BOAR: 9:05am On Oct 05, 2014
It's fair to assume the President intention with his message, however when you talk with ambiguity without clearity as a President, you create room for misinterpretation.

As a President, all words would be scrutinized for lapses.

OP, you are in order here, ignore those that comes to NL to insult and only see the forum as an avenue to vent their frustrations or insult because others are insulting.

1 Like

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by philantoxx(m): 9:06am On Oct 05, 2014
realK:

we don't need rocket science to realise our president does not command a good mastery of English language.but we do understand the message he has passed on.so please its our duty to prevent him from being ridiculed.tanx boss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 05, 2014
Too much grammar won't make you a better president. Chris Okotie knows this.

1 Like

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by Dracula27: 10:38am On Oct 05, 2014
It is not reasonable to isolate a sentence and try to criticize it without understanding the context in which it was used.

1 Like

Re: When You Are In Lagos, You Are Almost In Nigeria.... Goodluck Jonathan by realK: 11:04am On Oct 05, 2014
BOAR:

As a President, all words would be scrutinized for lapses.
Very correct.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Enough Is Enough Nigeria Should Break Up - Fani Kayode / Femi Gbajabiamila: Gas Holds Key Potential For Nigeria's Economy / NIPC, FIRS Inaugurate Joint Committee On Pioneer Status Incentive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.