Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,852 members, 7,806,405 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 (952 Views)

54 Incredible Facts That You Might Not Know About Nigeria / Hurray Nigeria Is 54 Years!! Drop Your Shout-out Here / Nigeria IS 54. YEARS Old:-if You Have Light In Your House Now Type!!! YES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 by osymerga(m): 4:38pm On Sep 30, 2014
Hurrah,Nigeria is 54 years.
Drop your wishes,prayers and goodwill messages here....
Re: Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 30, 2014
i wish we are better dqn this
Re: Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 by Dbestmax(m): 5:16pm On Sep 30, 2014
Relax e neva reach ...na till 2moro
Re: Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 by osymerga(m): 5:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
Nigeria will Overcome its Challenges,Emerge Stronger - Jang

inShare

Jules
Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau state on Sunday said that Nigeria would overcome its challenges and emerge a stronger nation.

Jang, who said this in Jos at a Church service to mark the 54th independence of Nigeria, added that what the country's current experience was not entirely new as other countries had gone through it.

"At 54, when people say that 54 years is not 54 days, but I say that in the life of a nation we are just beginning; some nations are 150 to 200 years. And these nations that today are 150 to 200 years and above went through exactly what Nigeria is going through today; I see Nigeria as a mighty and great nation that would lead the world,’’ he said.

The governor said that the Nigerian military, including himself in the past, fought to keep the country one, adding that the current military was still committed to the course.

He said that so many people had paid the supreme price in the course of protecting the country but assured that victory would surely come.

"Victory will be ours because God has given us this nation and we have no other nation than Nigeria and He will not allow anybody to take it from us.

"We must carry our heads high and beat our chest and be proud that we are Nigerians; and if we are Nigerians, we must continue keep this nation as one. Boko Haram must be defeated; God allows certain things to happen so that He would take His glory,’’ he said.

Jang commended President Goodluck Jonathan’s efforts, saying that God knew the kind of leaders he gave to lead His people per time.

"We pray that God will continue to preserve him and to give him the wisdom to continue to solve the numerous problems that this country is going through. As we celebrate the 54th independence, we must not forget those who have paid the supreme price while protecting our dear country,’’ he urged.
Re: Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 by osymerga(m): 5:27pm On Sep 30, 2014
We don dey celebrate am from now....
Re: Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 by skyfaze(m): 7:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
What is good about the independence day? Will dey Pay money into my acc? Mtchee
Re: Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 by osymerga(m): 10:35pm On Sep 30, 2014
Independence: Obama congratulates Nigeria, pledges support agaisnt terrorism
on september 30, 2014 at 7:55 pm in news
Facebook Share Twitter Share
Abuja – U.S. President, Barack Obama, has pledged the support of the American government to Nigeria in combating terrorism.
The pledge is contained in Obama’s congratulatory message on Nigeria’s 54th independence anniversary, to be marked on Wednesday, Oct. 1.
Obama said the U.S was looking forward to strengthening its relationship with Nigeria in the coming year, especially on good governance.
He added that “Nigeria continues to play a key leadership role in Africa and at the UN in promoting regional peace and stability.
“At the heart of our enduring friendship is our shared commitment to democratic values, the rule of law and economic development.
“We look forward to strengthening our relationship and working closely in the coming year, especially in promoting good governance and combating terrorism.
“As Nigerians observe this special day, we wish you a more peaceful and prosperous year,’’ Obama wrote in the message, addressed to President Goodluck Jonathan.
Chief Emeka Anyaoku, former Secretary-General of the Commonwealth, urged Nigerians to remain united in confronting the challenges facing the country.
Anyaoku spoke to reporters at Nigeria’s foreign ministry headquarters after a courtesy call on the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Aminu Wali.
He said “my message to the nation is to celebrate; we have achieved some successes in a number of areas in terms of our development.
“But we still have challenges and my message is that we should remain united in facing those challenges.’’
Anyaoku recounted the role the Commonwealth played in ensuring Nigeria’s return to democracy in 1999 and argued that it was erroneous to posit that Nigeria had not benefitted from the 53-nation group.
He said during his tenure, the then Chairman of INEC, Late Justice Ephraim Akpata,
visited him in London several times which culminated in Commonwealth playing a key role in Nigeria’s electoral process.
“I was able to arrange for the Chief Electoral Officer India, the largest democracy in the world, to come here and spend three months in Nigeria helping to run courses for INEC staff.
“In my conversation with the then Head of State, Gen Abdulsalami Abubakar, he would tell you that he found our conversations very helpful in the electoral process.
“In that area, the Commonwealth played an important role in helping the country to return to democratic rule.’’
Similarly, The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Aminu Wali, had acknowledged that the country had been very generous to African nations “but it had not reaped more’’ from its generosity.
“Diplomacy is about reciprocity, if I give you more, I expect more from you.
“My intention is to ensure that Nigeria gets more from its investments,’’ he said. (NAN)
Re: Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 30, 2014
independence but dependent!!
Re: Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 by ochilikoko(m): 11:35pm On Sep 30, 2014
I'm proud to be a Nigerian. Its challenges if well calculated and applied can make one complete in real life.

Will remain a Nigerian in my next world though,wouldn't like to meet Hausa/Fulanis guys as con3men
Re: Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 by Mannylex(m): 11:39pm On Sep 30, 2014
Ok
Re: Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 by Nobody: 11:42pm On Sep 30, 2014
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO NIGERIA!!!!!!!

A TODDLER AT 54sad
WHEN WE GAINED INDEPENDENCE WE WERE AT PAR WITH SINGAPORE,CHINA AND MALYASIA IN TERMS OF DEVELOPMENT.BUT JUST LOOK AT THOSE COUNTRIES AND THEN LOOK AT NIGERIAsadWE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO CELEBRATEembarassed

BUT I STILL HAVE HOPES THAT ONE DAY NIGERIA WILL BE BETTERwink

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

PDP Chieftain Bags Life Imprisonment For Raping Pregnant Woman / Taraba Acting Governor Declares Suntai Missing / The Man 'Amaechi'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.