Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa (14569 Views)

Epic 1960 Guiness Billboard Advertisement (PICS) / All Elections In Nigeria Were Rigged Since 1960 - Jonathan / What "OP" Stands For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by salbis(m): 5:38am On Oct 01, 2014
These are the words of selfless leaders. "However, we were not to be
allowed the selfish luxury of focusing our interest on our
own homes. God bless Nigeria!
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by 0merta(m): 5:38am On Oct 01, 2014
debrihachi: I just wna make front page...I V nothin t sae wink

...and have you received a credit alert for making front page?

You no know say you don old, abi?

2 Likes

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Chiefpriest1(m): 5:39am On Oct 01, 2014
Nigeria never really had a firm foundation. Apart from zik of africa, our founding fathers laid the foundation for the tribalism that is tearing us apart today. Lets not deceive ourselves

1 Like

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by 0merta(m): 5:53am On Oct 01, 2014
Chiefpriest1: Nigeria never really had a firm foundation. Apart from zik of africa, our founding fathers laid the foundation for the tribalism that is tearing us apart today. Lets not deceive ourselves

Zik actually started tribalism in Nigeria, Nigger!

Go and read about how he left the Nigerian Youth Movement with his fellow Igbos, simply because an Ijaw man and an Awolowo-backed candidate, Mr. Ernest Ikoli defeated Oba Samuel Akinsanya, his own preferred candidate in a bye election into the legislative house in Lagos.

Awolowo, in a bid to promote National unity and eschew tribalism, had to support an Ijaw man and oppose Oba Samuel Akinsanya who was not only a Yoruba man, but was Awolowo's Kinsman and the Odemo of Isara, Remo, Ogun state.

I also hope you are enlightened and schooled enough to know how Nnamdi Azikiwe forcefully and cunningly "deposed" Eyo Ita, a "Cross-riverian", as the NCNC Leader and head of the defunct Government of Eastern Nigeria in the 1950s, after the former was defeated by the Great Awo to become the Premier of the Western region.

Zik was a Tribalist extraordinaire so shut the eff up!

6 Likes

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:10am On Oct 01, 2014
0merta:

Go and read about how he left the Nigerian Youth Movement with his fellow Igbos, simply because an Ijaw man and an Awolowo-backed candidate, Mr. Ernest Ikoli defeated Oba Samuel Akinsanya, his own preferred candidate in a bye election into the legislative house in Lagos.

Awolowo, in a bid to promote National unity and eschew tribalism, had to support and Ijaw man and oppose Oba Samuel Akinsanya who was not only a Yoruba man, but was Awolowo's Kinsman and the Odemo of Isara, Remo, Ogun state.

I also hope you are enlightened and schooled enough to know how Nnamdi Azikiwe forcefully and cunningly "deposed" Eyo Ita, a "Cross-riverian", as the NCNC Leader and head of the defunct Government of Eastern Nigeria in the 1950s, after the former was defeated by the Great Awo to become the Premier of the Western region.

Dont believe every beer parlour gists you hear,kid. And please stop using the N & F words on this forum. This is not Yaba tarmac.
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by chakula: 6:11am On Oct 01, 2014
Real Man of integrity!
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by 0merta(m): 6:15am On Oct 01, 2014
Chiefpriest1:
Dont believe every beer parlour gists you hear,kid. And please stop using the N & F words on this forum. This is not Yaba tarmac.

Disprove the points I raised or keep mute, you dumb thing!

Even if you can't afford to buy books and read, at least google in the there for you and the last time I checked, it's still very much free!

Oloshi!
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by himike247(m): 6:37am On Oct 01, 2014
NICE SPEECH. He is gone. What do we Naija have to say about HOW FAR WE HAVE GONE. May God position us afresh.

MY INDEPENDENCE GIFT TO NAIRALANDERS====>>>>>>

EARN FREE SHARES FROM FACEBOOK ALTERNATIVE - GLOBALLSHARE WITH PROOF

Become an owner gratuitously.

Be the owner of the world's vastest social networking website. Get your shares free. Do not miss the greatest chance of your life! Register free now!

Join me now and start earning your shares by clicking on the link below: http://go1.in/signupwithgloballshare

SEE PROOF OF MY TODAY EARNING STAT below:

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Nobody: 6:50am On Oct 01, 2014
Listen to GEJ's speech today then compare and contrast.

1 Like

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 01, 2014
iamsegsy: Today is Independence Day. The first of October 1960 is
a date to which for two years every Nigerian has been
eagerly looking forward. At last, our great day has
arrived, and Nigeria is now indeed an independent
sovereign nation.
Words cannot adequately express my joy and pride at
being the Nigerian citizen privileged to accept from Her
Royal Highness these Constitutional Instruments which
are the symbols of Nigeria’s Independence. It is a
unique privilege which I shall remember for ever, and it
gives me strength and courage as I dedicate my life to
the service of our country.
This is a wonderful day, and it is all the more wonderful
because we have awaited it with increasing impatience,
compelled to watch one country after another overtaking
us on the road when we had so nearly reached our goal.
But now we have acquired our rightful status, and I feel
sure that history will show that the building of our
nation proceeded at the wisest pace: it has been
thorough, and Nigeria now stands well-built upon firm
foundations.
Today’s ceremony marks the culmination of a process
which began fifteen years ago and has now reached a
happy and successful conclusion. It is with justifiable
pride that we claim the achievement of our
Independence to be unparalleled in the annals of
history. Each step of our constitutional advance has
been purposefully and peacefully planned with full and
open consultation, not only between representatives of
all the various interests in Nigeria but in harmonious
cooperation with the administering power which has
today relinquished its authority.
At the time when our constitutional development
entered upon its final phase, the emphasis was largely
upon self-government. We, the elected representatives
of the people of Nigeria, concentrated on proving that
we were fully capable of managing our own affairs both
internally and as a nation. However, we were not to be
allowed the selfish luxury of focusing our interest on our
own homes. In these days of rapid communications we
cannot live in isolation, apart from the rest of the world,
even if we wished to do so. All too soon it has become
evident that for us Independence implies a great deal
more than self-government. This great country, which
has now emerged without bitterness or bloodshed, finds
that she must at once be ready to deal with grave
international issues.
This fact has of recent months been unhappily
emphasised by the startling events which have occurred
in this continent. I shall not labour the point but it
would be unrealistic not to draw attention first to the
awe-inspiring task confronting us at the very start of our
nationhood. When this day in October 1960 was chosen
for our Independence it seemed that we were destined to
move with quiet dignity to place on the world stage.
Recent events have changed the scene beyond
recognition, so that we find ourselves today being
tested to the utmost We are called upon immediately to
show that our claims to responsible government are
well-founded, and having been accepted as an
indepedent state we must at once play an active part in
maintaining the peace of the world and in preserving
civilisation. I promise you, we shall not fail for want of
determination.
And we come to this task better-equipped than many.
For this, I pay tribute to the manner in which successive
British Governments have gradually transferred the
burden of responsibility to our shoulders. The
assistance and unfailing encouragement which we have
received from each Secretary of State for the Colonies
and their intense personal interest in our development
has immeasurably lightened that burden.
All our friends in the Colonial Office must today be
proud of their handiwork and in the knowledge that they
have helped to lay the foundations of a lasting
friendship between our two nations. I have indeed every
confidence that, based on the happy experience of a
successful partnership, our future relations with the
United Kingdom will be more cordial than ever, bound
together, as we shall be in the Commonwealth, by a
common allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth,
whom today we proudly acclaim as Queen of Nigeria and
Head of the Commonwealth.
Time will not permit the individual mention of all those
friends, many of them Nigerians, whose selfless labours
have contributed to our Independence. Some have not
lived to see the fulfilment of their hopes on them be
peace, “but nevertheless they are remembered here, and
the names of buildings and streets and roads and
bridges throughout the country recall to our minds their
achievements, some of them on a national scale. Others
confined, perhaps, to a small area in one Division, are
more humble but of equal value in the sum-total.
Today, we have with us representatives of those who
have made Nigeria: Representatives of the Regional
Governments, of former Central Governments, of the
Missionary Societies, and of the Banking and
Commercial enterprises, and members, both past and
present, of the Public Service. We welcome you, and we
rejoice that you have been able to come and share in
our celebrations. We wish that it could have been
possible for all of those whom you represent to be here
today: Many, I know, will be disappointed to be absent,
but if they are listening to me now, I say to them,
“Thank you on behalf of my Thank you for your devoted
service which helped build up Nigeria into a nation.
Today we are reaping the harvest which you sowed, and
the quality of the harvest is equalled only by our
gratitude to you. May God bless you all.
This is an occasion when our hearts are filled with
conflicting emotions: we are, indeed, proud to have
achieved our independence, and proud that our efforts
should have contributed to this happy event. But do not
mistake our pride for arrogance. It is tempered by
feelings of sincere gratitude to all who have shared in
the task of developing Nigeria politically, socially and
economically. We are grateful to the British officers
whom we have known, first as masters, and then as
leaders, and finally as partners, but always as friends.
And there have been countless missionaries who have
laboured unceasingly in the cause of education and to
whom we owe many of our medical services. We are
grateful also to those who have brought modern
methods of banking and of commerce, and new
industries. I wish to pay tribute to all of these people
and to declare our everlasting admiration of their
devotion to duty.
And, finally, I must express our gratitude to Her Royal
Highness the Princess Alexandra of Kent for personally
bringing to us these symbols of our freedom, and
especially for delivering the gracious message from Her
Majesty The Queen. And so, with the words “God save
our Queen”, I open a new chapter in the history of
Nigeria, and of the Commonwealth, and indeed of the
world.

- The first Independence Day speech by Sir Abubakar
Tafawa Balewa, Prime Minister

Ok
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by dan55: 7:13am On Oct 01, 2014
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Vikthor(m): 7:33am On Oct 01, 2014
Really....am still struggling to believe lipsrsealed
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by mmmustapha(m): 8:03am On Oct 01, 2014
Great speech from one of the greatest leaders of Nigeria
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by anonimi: 8:10am On Oct 01, 2014
Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations

I guess that was before Boko Haram & its sympathisers showed up.
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Symphony007: 8:49am On Oct 01, 2014
From a bold, calculating leader with an astute command of the english language addressing the UN with all boldness, the queen,jfk,etc to a stammering, scared, uninspiring leader 54 years down the road.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by perfectcrush(m): 9:09am On Oct 01, 2014
Nice speech 4rm d oldies, how I wish the tempo was kept? Nigeria is great and will be greater. I reaffirm my service to dz great nation. I pledge to Nigeria my country................. so help me God
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by anukulapo: 9:15am On Oct 01, 2014
iamsegsy: And there have been countless missionaries who have
laboured unceasingly in the cause of education and to
whom we owe many of our medical services. We are
grateful also to those who have brought modern
methods of banking and of commerce, and new
industries. I wish to pay tribute to all of these people
and to declare our everlasting admiration of their
devotion to duty.

This man deserves a second term. If he contest (from the grave) I will cast my vote in his favour.

He saw the glory that should follow if the above mentioned sectors had been perfect but evil people greedy of gain (worse than He could have ever been--if he would have been) cut him short.
I pray God lift up godly people who will not spare to serve and deliver the abundance to us in Jesus name,Amen.
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by anukulapo: 9:19am On Oct 01, 2014
Symphony007: From a bold, calculating leader with an astute command of the english language
He was called "the man with a velvet voice"
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 01, 2014
kingthreat: Great man Tafawa Balewa, one of the best brands of leaders Nigeria ever had. As for that overzealous lunatic Nzeogwu who killed this man and several others for a selfish cause and instigated the Nigerian Civil War, may your soul never know peace.
Amen

1 Like

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 01, 2014
MissMeiya: Reserved. #BucketList

Edit: Sigh. India just sent a ship to Mars. Presido Jona is celebrating a new road. Yes, I am bitter.

I will drink green beer at the parade in any case.
lol. We started Great but along the line things went south & Now the have ......
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Nobody: 9:35am On Oct 01, 2014
Dominiquez: The allegiance he pledged to Queen,gave the Western World the gut to come to our land and has been exploring our resources like no man's business. Shell comes to mind.
all colonies than had to give allegiance to the Queen. Even Now some countries stiil do
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 01, 2014
HAPPY INDEPENDENT DAY!!!

celebrate the independent day on a new website which is being launched today. Celebrate independent day with geniuses on www.ebiag.com. Be among the first to comment there and win a recharge card. Happy Independent day, Nigeria!!!
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Nobody: 10:12am On Oct 01, 2014
Its either destruction or provocative build up cos these contri in these present state solely in the hands of a southerner fisherman who surrounds himself wth igbo thievery and tribalistic holier than thou shylotic attitude wuld achieve nting but run the ship of our contri aground and perfect the processes of corruption building. I just wish d Igbos can cum up wth sumtin good wherever dey are wth dis stupid president we ave dat surrounds himself wth dose fools. God break nigeria. God bless yorubaland dat sustain all tribes irrespective of their low way of life and dirtiness....laughing in ogedengbe agbogunboro high pitch
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Nobody: 10:50am On Oct 01, 2014
That was before one foool called Kaduna Nzeogwu executed his senseless coup that took the country on the pedals of retrogression. I believe that Nigeria will get tings right again
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by skrtelmoses: 10:57am On Oct 01, 2014
grin
Ipledge: This generation opoliticians have failed us, but I promise I will never fail my country cry

All love to Nigeria...Ipledge to Nigeria my country
grin
Ipledge: This generation opoliticians have failed us, but I promise I will never fail my country cry

All love to Nigeria...Ipledge to Nigeria my country
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by StOla: 10:58am On Oct 01, 2014
kingthreat: Great man Tafawa Balewa, one of the best brands of leaders Nigeria ever had. As for that overzealous lunatic Nzeogwu who killed this man and several others for a selfish cause and instigated the Nigerian Civil War, may your soul never know peace.

If more Nigerians suffer the overzealous lunacy that Nzeogwu suffered, Nigeria would have been competing with the West by now.

Corruption, our incurable headache that inhibit our growth would have been reduced to insignificance.

Patriots are not made of those who wish or pray the country well, but made of those who see the problems that all see and have the courage to attempt a solution.

1 Like

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by StOla: 11:04am On Oct 01, 2014
Symphony007: From a bold, calculating leader with an astute command of the english language addressing the UN with all boldness, the queen,jfk,etc to a stammering, scared, uninspiring leader 54 years down the road.

Jonathan doesn't just stammer, he whimpers.

A leader so unsure, so uninspiring.

1 Like

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by Sagytarius(m): 11:15am On Oct 01, 2014
0merta:

Awolowo, in a bid to promote National unity and eschew tribalism, had to support an Ijaw man and oppose Oba Samuel Akinsanya who was not only a Yoruba man, but was Awolowo's Kinsman and the Odemo of Isara, Remo, Ogun state.

No, you shut the eff up! Awololwo started Tribalism in Nigeria.

Now listen lemme school you, you fool!

NCNC ( National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons) was formed by Herbert McCauley a yoruba man. Very wise initiative of him to form a National Party if you ask me.

Meanwhile, both Awo and Zik were abroad studying. However, Zik returned first and joined the National Party as the secretary to Herbert, the founder of NCNC. Unfortunately, Herbert died and Zik took over leadership.

Later on, Awo returned and joined politics. He didn't join the already formed National Party but formed his own party. Good idea!. But what kind of party did he form? A National Party ? NO! but an Ethnic party: Egbe Omo Oduduwa (EOO). Now you tell me who is tribalistic.

Agreed, EOO went on to have a name change: Action Group (nor be today thjs people start to dey change party-name like wrapper), but the party was defeated by NCNC at various electoral positions. Zik won Awo! But before the inauguration into the offices, Awo went and brainwashed the yorubas, asking the how could they allow someone from Across the Niger to come over to rule them? Again, who is the tribalist here? Maybe you can tell me if someone from Across the Niger isn't a Nigerian?

Surprisingly, those who won under the platform of the NCNC cross carpeted to the Action Group just before the Inauguration (cross carpeting nor be new tin for this set of Ppl o). Now, AG claimed victory. I laugh in Tiv. Bunch of loosers!

However I still blame Zik for his stupidity for not fighting till finish what he already started In the west; rather he came to the he East to disabilize the peace that had been existing there by displacing Eyo Ita. It might interest you to know that despite that Igbos who formed a majority of the NCNC party in the East, they voted a CrossRiverian, a minority in the party, to come and lead them. Again, which Ethnicity displays tribalism: The Igbos or or the Yorubas?

I can go on and on, buh please, get yourself the book: Trouble with Nigeria by C.Achebe and get schooled! pfft! !!!!!

3 Likes

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa by 1025: 11:26am On Oct 01, 2014
at the end of the day, it is all about spoken english. too much talks and no action. security - 0, roads-30, elections - 15, education - 0, health sector - 5, electricity - 29,
overall, 18 BUT
CORRUPTION - 176
54 years is enough for a country with ambition to make impact.
any president that will change the situation in this country must first KILL corruption.

[b]when u see transformation working hand in globe with corruption, when the corrupt ones are behind transformation, when the criminals get national awards, when elections are done with arms and beautiful quantities of marksmen and snipers, when drug barons wanted by other govts are the kingmakers, when ppl drop lucrative professions for politics, when politics is the most paying profession in a country, when one president feeds with N1B, when private jets fly public funds out of the country, when oppositions are turned to enemies, when cbn gov and minister of finance are party members, when civil servants cannot be separated from politicians, when CHAI, DIARIS GOD OOOO become more popular than the national anthem, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, we are not making any progress my ppl. the first step to solving any problem in life is to identify the problem. a genuine repentance starts with remorse and then confession. we must change this celebration to mourning and then destroy what we have and start afresh because NIGERIA IS A VERY BEAUTIFUL HOUSE ON A FAULTY FOUNDATION.[/b]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Highest Number Of Posts In Nairaland? / Kidnapped Micheal Osagiede Freed After 6 Years In The Jungle / Are The Young People Of Today Very Lazy And Materialistic?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.