Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,389 members, 7,808,375 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola (40324 Views)

Kaduna Suspects First Case Of Ebola? (ABU Student?) / First Case Of Suspected Ebola Discovered In New York City, Usa!!! / Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by fr3do(m): 3:55am On Oct 01, 2014
Its disturbing that something as sensitive as a vaccine for a virus is left to the free market forces.
Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Nobody: 3:57am On Oct 01, 2014
gmyguy: gosh...i feel like nairaland is full of crap

LOL you just realized? Sorry bro

1 Like

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Nobody: 4:36am On Oct 01, 2014
MissMeiya:

LOL you just realized? Sorry bro
Hey pretty gurl, lol. do u ever sleep?
Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Nobody: 4:52am On Oct 01, 2014
Joenice: Hey pretty gurl, lol. do u ever sleep?

smiley smiley smiley

I have strange sleeping habits
Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Nobody: 5:10am On Oct 01, 2014
MissMeiya:

smiley smiley smiley

I have strange sleeping habits
Yeah I guess so lol.
Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Nobody: 5:20am On Oct 01, 2014
sexzskil:
If i do not die prematurely, u surely will instead...thus, u in real danger my inferior black friend!

why should i be inferior? because am black? nah lol don't i like that bet because i know you will die, so lets watch and wait
Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Nobody: 5:23am On Oct 01, 2014
Apparently, the dude who brought the infection to the US came from Liberia. The entire fire crew/ambulatory servicemen who brought him into the hospital have been quarantined:

First Ebola Case Confirmed in Dallas; DFR Crew Quarantined

A person who moved from Liberia to Dallas a week ago has tested positive for Ebola, becoming the first person diagnosed in the U.S. with the potentially deadly virus, the City of Dallas confirmed Tuesday.
There is no doubt in my mind that we will stop it here.Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The patient was hospitalized at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital on Sunday after falling ill four days earlier, on Sept. 24.
The Dallas Fire-Rescue ambulance crew who transported the infected man to the hospital is being quarantined and monitored for Ebola symptoms, Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings told NBC 5, and the ambulance used to transport the man has been pulled from service.
The number of people in the DFR crew being monitored is not known.
After receiving the Ebola diagnosis, the city activated its Emergency Operations Center and is on Level 2: High Readiness.
CDC Confirms First U.S. Ebola Case in Dallas[DFW] CDC Confirms First U.S. Ebola Case in DallasThe first case of the Ebola virus diagnosed in the United States has been confirmed in Dallas, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed Tuesday.
The patient showed no symptoms of the virus when he left Liberia on Sept. 19 and arrived in the U.S. a day later, according to CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden.
There was no risk to any fellow airline passengers because the man had no symptoms when he was traveling, Frieden said.
The patient didn't begin developing symptoms of the virus until Sept. 24 and sought care on Friday. He was hospitalized the following Sunday and placed in isolation.
According to the City of Dallas, the patient had moved to Dallas a week ago.
Earlier, officials said the patient came to Dallas to visit family. It is unclear what the unidentified man's nationality is.

WATCH: Health Officials Address Dallas Ebola Case
At this time, state and federal health officials said there are no other confirmed or suspected cases of Ebola virus in the state.
The CDC is working to identify and monitor all the people who may have come into contact with the patient while he was infectious. Those people, like the DFR fire crew, will be monitored for 21 days for Ebola symptoms.
Should symptoms develop, those patients too will be isolated, and investigators will then determine who they came into contact with and monitor those people for symptoms.
"I have no doubt that we will control this importation or this case of the Ebola so that it does not spread widely in this country. It is certainly possible that someone who had contact with this individual, a family member, or other individual, could develop Ebola in the coming weeks, but there is no doubt in my mind that we will stop it here," said Frieden.
The Ebola diagnosis was confirmed Tuesday after specimens were sent from Presbyterian Hospital to the Texas public health laboratory in Austin, the Texas Department of State Health Services said Tuesday.
The Austin lab, which was certified last month to test for Ebola, confirmed the result and sent the sample to the CDC in Atlanta, which confirmed it.
President Barack Obama was briefed about the diagnosis in a call from Frieden, the White House said.
Word of the infection alarmed the local Liberian community.
"People have been calling, trying to find out if anybody knows the family," said Stanley Gaye, president of the Liberian Community Association of Dallas-Fort Worth. "We've been telling people to try to stay away from social gatherings."
Dallas Patient the Fifth Ebola Patient Treated in U.S. This Year
The patient is the fifth person treated for Ebola in the country this year after missionaries Dr. Kent Brantly, Nancy Writebol and Dr. Rick Sacra all contracted the virus while working in West Africa.
The Dallas patient will continue to be treated at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, according to Dr. Edward Goodman, hospital epidemiologist at Presbyterian.
Dr. Yasmin Answers Questions About Ebola[DFW] Dr. Yasmin Answers Questions About EbolaDr. Seema Yasmin, public health expert for The Dallas Morning News, answers viewers' questions about Ebola after the CDC confirmed a positive case at a Dallas hospital.
Both Brantly and Writebol have fully recovered, after they were given experimental drugs and were treated at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta in August.
Sacra was treated at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and was released Sept. 25. He had been working in Liberia on behalf of SIM.
The identity and condition of the fourth patient has not been released. It is believed that they are still being treated at Emory Hospital.
Writebol issued a statement Tuesday after learning of the new diagnosis in Dallas on Tuesday.
"We are sad for the family of the patient and pray for recovery to good health. It is a mercy that the best medical care is available. We also pray for the safety of the medical staff attending to the patient," she said.
How is Ebola Spread?
Ebola is a severe, often fatal disease spread through close, direct contact with blood or other bodily fluids of a living or dead person who had contracted Ebola. The virus is only contagious when symptoms are present, and it is not spread through the air, through food or water.
What to Know: How Ebola Is Spread
Symptoms for Ebola virus involve a fever, severe headache, muscle pain, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and unexplained hemorrhage. Symptoms appear anywhere from two to 21 days after exposure but the average is eight to 10 days.
If someone exposed to Ebola has not shown symptoms for 21 days they are not expected to develop Ebola.
According to the CDC, recovery from Ebola depends on the patient's immune response. People who recover from Ebola infection develop antibodies that last for about 10 years.
The CDC said the United States is well-equipped to manage and treat Ebola and that the chances of an outbreak like the one in West Africa is extremely low.
Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Nobody: 5:34am On Oct 01, 2014
kayce911: I trust USA unlike we africans,they wil contain it....let me see those saying ebola is white men's lab invention to reduce our population.
Oga, Nigeria contained it so wats the big deal there?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by boboLIL(m): 5:38am On Oct 01, 2014
Na their matter....mk dem use dia znaPP cure am as we use our US claimed poisonous nano silva cure our own.....

1 Like

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by ttmacoy: 6:25am On Oct 01, 2014
Missy89: Wow!

Nigerians (majority) are the most uncivilized type of specie to ever exist!. just take a look at the comments here and you will have all the prove you need.

very disgusting and appalling. Their stupidity knows no bound, both male and female. shocked

Why they are rejoicing exactly is very cofusing

Thank you. I am really disappointed with the level of comments on this thread. Shows how selfish we are as a people. All we want is to take but never give. ... oh except in church in expectation of a miracle

People on this thread screaming America didn't give zmapp are SELFISH. The fact that you think Nigeria with under 20 cases deserves the limited supply of zmapp over countries like Liberia with thousands of cases shows show self centered we are as a country.

And I still agree with America's decision not to give Nigeria zmapp cus you do no deserve it. How do you think America will happily give the few serums of zmapp when they can see the way Nigeria squanders money. Money allocated for ebola they converts to money for cars. One thing you should know is as long as Liberia and S Leone continue to face an epidemic we are not out of the woods yet and I would expect as the giant of Africa to lend a helping hand not fold our hands and act like it doesn't concern us.

All the us and uk citizens and other western countries who got infected were volunteering their help to care for the infected. How many Nigerians can say they have helped? It's only GDP u think makes you giant of africa.

America are sending 3000 troops to help the worse affected areas cus they know as long as there is an epidemic the world isn't safe, but my dear Nigeria as usual folds her hands and looks on.

And you see the sickening comments here. Shows you all truly deserve the leaders you have. Thieving lieing manipulating leaders. Minister of health standing up and lieing and making silly announcements.

Anyway no matter what you say and zmapp or no zmapp the americans infected will get far better treatment that Nigeria could give and be fine. The nurse flown back to Britain is fine now so you guys can stop being so self centered with your comments.

Is it the exclusion centers we want to start from, or the care, or the attention? Instead of spending money on building proper treatment centers not the shack of blocks you have in Lagos, you use the money for cars.

Whilst I am happy the virus was contained in Nigeria ( in part thanks to help from abroad
Us guide no mess and not the stupid nano silver and salt) if we had a worse epidemic we would not be able to handle it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Akexstinger(m): 6:40am On Oct 01, 2014
There is no cause for alarm. They are well prepared to handle it. Go and check their emergency care rules for ebola patient right from the plane to isolation center on CDC webisite and you will know its a small thing unlike we dull africans whose dreams in life is to hammer n marry and to contibute n develop mankind. FYI, all the procedures that the nigerian minstry and lagos state ministry of health used were all from WHO which comes from US CDC laid down procedures in treatment. So what are we talking about again? Can An african ever contribute to humanity selflessly? See the way the myopic nigerians are jubilating. How many of our pharmaceutical industries have began research now on ebola vaccines? In US there are over 7 pharmaceutical industries that received grants fromcentral government and they've all come out with vaccines which are yet to undergo human trial. Zmapp, and Tkz are currently undergoing human trials and it was still whites who volunteered to be tested with these drugs, blacks didn't come out enough

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by drsteroid(m): 6:43am On Oct 01, 2014
Waiting for them to call us to help them out..we successfully cleared ebola out of Nigeria without their help.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by MrTeymee(m): 7:01am On Oct 01, 2014
optimumprimus:

Alright,alright,alright,I totally get it. I was about to get pissed ,I Just took a glance at your profile pics and I understand.
you guys need healthy food.you look malnourished.

Silence is the best answer......
Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by MrTeymee(m): 7:04am On Oct 01, 2014
Stelvin101:

May God av Mercy on ur dirty soul. Smh
E no go better for dat hand wey u use type dah poo.. Na ur ancestors soul dirty. Bloody lowlife. May amadioha visit ur family this independence morning
Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by MrTeymee(m): 7:05am On Oct 01, 2014
xtervaganza: Really? you're Such a noob
Ignored...
Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by MrTeymee(m): 7:07am On Oct 01, 2014
nanizle:

Haba!

Wetin U.S. do u na?
Their body language shows they dnt have good intentions for africa.. *drops mic
Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Dahmum(f): 7:15am On Oct 01, 2014
Lord please v mercy on dis Earth n d ppl in it

1 Like

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by orbablessing(f): 7:21am On Oct 01, 2014
my prayer is GOd should distroy the power of EBOLA so that the world will be free from it and that should be everybody's PRAYERs too(if u look at the news well u will find out that the man was perfectly ok when went back home in texas he stayed some days b4 falling ill dats shows us all how trickish EVD could be,so dats shows dat it can be carried to any country without showing signs and b4 ya all start blaming AMERICA u should know dat All the us and uk citizens and other western countries who got infected were volunteering their help to care for the infected.

America are sending 3000 troops to help the worse affected areas cus they know as long as there is an epidemic the world isn't safe.

And you see the sickening comments here.

Anyway no matter what you say zmapp or no zmapp the americans infected will get far better treatment and be fine. The nurse flown back to Britain is fine now so you guys can stop being so self centered with your comments.....

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by sorom4: 7:26am On Oct 01, 2014
What will all of you who are happy with this development gain from it? You guys are no diff like terrorists cos ur motives are death for your fellow human beings

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by SNCOQ3(m): 7:35am On Oct 01, 2014
We had our first university in 1948. The first case of Ebola outbreak in Africa was in 1976 - What proactive measure to invent a cure did our numerous universities/research institutes undertake?

This culture of "attributing to another country our own responsibility" is the enemy - not America.

Anyone who is rejoicing over this news is not different from the late Patrick Sawyer.

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 01, 2014
Akexstinger: There is no cause for alarm. They are well prepared to handle it. Go and check their emergency care rules for ebola patient right from the plane to isolation center on CDC webisite and you will know its a small thing unlike we dull africans whose dreams in life is to hammer n marry and to contibute n develop mankind. FYI, all the procedures that the nigerian minstry and lagos state ministry of health used were all from WHO which comes from US CDC laid down procedures in treatment. So what are we talking about again? Can An african ever contribute to humanity selflessly? See the way the myopic nigerians are jubilating. How many of our pharmaceutical industries have began research now on ebola vaccines? In US there are over 7 pharmaceutical industries that received grants fromcentral government and they've all come out with vaccines which are yet to undergo human trial. Zmapp, and Tkz are currently undergoing human trials and it was still whites who volunteered to be tested with these drugs, blacks didn't come out enough

This is who we are... Manifest bitterness.
Celebrating the misfortune of others

The old order will one day pass away and these are the people that will then be at the frontline? Tomorrow's leaders?
I became inured to this shameful reality the day Hell Rufai lost a child and NL roll out their drums. We are doomed!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by IbokUtoroh(m): 7:42am On Oct 01, 2014
xp17: I guess you don't know the meaning of African American (AA).

TO TOPIC.
I can see some ungrateful fools roaming around this thread. the same US that you fools are mocking, has been in the center to put an end to this viral disease. As we speak Obama has deployed 3000 military personnel to render possible assistance in Liberia.

the US military has been working side by side with other research institutes to bring out some findings in other to make these ingrates sleep with ease, while your so called Russia is bullying her next door neighbor. goat get sense pass some people self.

fools!

another US SLAVE ranting.
u also forget the millions in dolls nigeria is giving out to liberia, sierra leone to combat the deadly disease, just yesterday minista for health said naija has concluded plans to host the 3 west african countries interms of research on ebola, even with our travails we still playing big brother. abeg stop callng people fools here cos u are being fed subsidized food in US.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by ttmacoy: 7:46am On Oct 01, 2014
engineerd: hahahaha....the Nigerian government should ban all flights coming from the US with immediate effect.....LMAO.....5hit i shouldn't be laughing o!!!!

And who will it affect the most?

Who fills flights to and fro Nigeria? Isn't it nigerians? If they ban flights from America to Nigeria I don't think you will see too many americans crying aside the nigerians residing there.

If they ban flights from Nigeria it will start with all the students travelling to resume school. Let's see how they will enjoy it after hussling for student visa for the past few months.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 01, 2014
The people making stupid comments on this thread are pathetic, why would you be rejoicing over an Ebola case and besides the Americans will tackle this index case, they have all it takes to contain it swiftly.

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Franchise21(m): 8:00am On Oct 01, 2014
ceejayluv:
Explain, you deme.nted ingrate

In his response, Chukwu said, “Nigeria
has always been her brothers and
sisters’ keeper. Nigeria helped and
founded ECOWAS. You remember it
was during Gen. Yakubu Gowon,
when he was Head of States, that
ECOWAS was established. Nigeria will
continue to play that leading role in
ECOWAS. We are going to assist our
sister nations. Let me also reaffirm
that the United States of America has
fully been part of this battle; how to
contain the Ebola Virus Disease in
Nigeria. US CDC has done wonderfully
well.
“Even if you go remotely, part of
the
infrastructure we have in Nigeria
was
because US CDC worked with
Nigeria
to get them established. So, we are
grateful to the government of
United
States; and the support continues
to
come in. Even some of the hand-
held
infrared thermometers we are
using
were provided by the United States
government.”

www.punchng.com/news/us-urges-nigeria-to-help-liberia-others-tackle-ebola/
Me! a demented ingrate?I reserve ma comments till after u go to schl and acquire a sound education. "When Yakubu Gowon was Head of States"
Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 01, 2014
Clueless Nigerians rejoicing over nothing. smh. Americans set the standards and others follow. Nothing is going to take that away from them.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Youngzedd(m): 8:02am On Oct 01, 2014
Tallesty1: Hahahahaha............ Does rain fall on one roof alone?

Contracts Obama.

Not impossible in normal sense.

It's time America enjoy the part of the cake.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Youngzedd(m): 8:04am On Oct 01, 2014
klem93: there is love in sharing!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Make I follow you shine teeth

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by koolg: 8:07am On Oct 01, 2014
tdayof:
without reading sef #cant stop laughing

MODIFIED

Hope they have enough contacts!

in other news we are ready to train their health workers on how to handle Ebolagrin

I was totally disappointed that america refused to acknowledge Nigeria's remarkable success at curbing ebola.
but make no mistakes the disease would be nipped in the bud extremely efficiently. they possess a very advanced medical system. be rest assured that if Patrick sawyer went to America, the disease wouldn't have spread as much as it did in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Timijo(m): 8:08am On Oct 01, 2014
I pray for quick recovery for the patient...but the Americans and Nigerians there should be stopped from coming to Nigeria from now.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 01, 2014
MrTeymee: Best news ah heard 2day cheesy

Sorry they denied you and your family members visa
But it's under strict isolation and would likely recover
You desperate sadist.

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola by ceejayluv(m): 8:15am On Oct 01, 2014
Franchise21: Me! a demented ingrate?I reserve ma comments till after u go to schl and acquire a sound education. "When Yakubu Gowon was Head of States"

I quoted an article.... Now, explain....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Indian Woman Suffocates After Being Buried Alive In Cow Dung For Snake Bite(Pics / Abdulsamad Rabiu Donates Ambulances, 20 Vehicles To Kano COVID-19 Taskforce / Woman Dies After Gynaecologist Mistakenly Cuts Her Intestines During Childbirth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.