Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:49 PM

Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? - Nairaland / General (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? (41643 Views)

Truck With Hero Beer Falls In Gboko, Benue State (Photos) / I present to you MY HERO! / Who Is Nigeria's Hero? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by iiiyyyk(m): 3:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
Dim chukwuemeka Odumegu Ojuku

The greatest Nigerian that Ever lived.

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by handie(m): 3:42pm On Oct 01, 2014
Chief Obafemi Awolowo for believing in Nigeria and fighting for it's unity(History students know his contributions to the unity of Nigeria during the civil war) And my dear parents Mr. and Mrs Andrew Ogboriefor for never saying never even when the going was tough thereby epitomizing the Nigerian Spirit of never giving up
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by process123(m): 3:52pm On Oct 01, 2014
Dr Ameyo Stella Adadevoh

Dr. Ameyo Stella Adadevoh, a consultant physician, First Consultants Medical Centre, a Lagos-based hospital,  died  of Ebola disease Tuesday, August 19. Despite denials, she had    summoned courage to carry out blood analysis  that revealed the virus from Patrick Sawyer who imported the Ebola virus into Nigeria from Liberia.
Dr. Ameyo Stella Adadevoh, a brilliant Consultant Endocrinologist, who died in active service to Nigeria, and in doing so greatly spared the nation from the widespread rampage that our sister West African countries are suffering from in this EVD outbreak.

The late Dr. Adadevoh was the first child of the late world renowned Pathologist. Prof. Kwakwu Adadevoh, who was also a past Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos, Nigeria. She is also the niece of the owners of Clina Lancet Laboratory and the Great-Granddaughter of our hero past, Sir Herbert Macaulay.
She was the Doctor who entertained a high index of suspicion that Patient Zero was suffering from EVD and thus refused to let him leave the First Consultant Hospital in Obalende, Lagos, when he and others pressured her for his discharge against medical advice. She promptly reported the case to the relevant Public Health authorities at State and Federal levels and thus saved many lives by doing this.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by MadCow1: 3:52pm On Oct 01, 2014
chief olusegun aremu Obasanjo
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by emperorwhale(m): 4:02pm On Oct 01, 2014
General Sani Abacha, my mentor, my great African leader.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by donwise1(m): 4:04pm On Oct 01, 2014
They ar as follows:
my dad
my mum
late president yaradua
governor rochas okorocha
and hrh EZE Michael ekerue
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by awo666(m): 4:29pm On Oct 01, 2014
My great heroes are
King agboluaja of the great Oyo empire
Herbert Macaulay
Obafemi awolowo
Namadi azikwe
Aminu kano
Anthony enahoro
Benjamin adekunle for defending the west from being attacked by d east
Emeka ojukwu for fighting for Igbo
Muritala Muhammed
Rashidi yekini
Tune idiagbon
Dr adadevoh
Pa TAIWO akinkunmi
Adekulnle fajuyi
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Chinaimporter: 4:30pm On Oct 01, 2014
[size=18pt]And while the ibos and the yorubas where busy arguing and speaking grammar, the hausas stole all what they where arguing about and in the end the so called illitrates won[/size]
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by lebienconnu: 4:40pm On Oct 01, 2014
Dr Ameyo Stella Adadevoh
General Muritala Mohammed
(both of blessed memory)
Rtd General Muhammad Buhari
(sai Buhari)
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by danduchi(m): 4:46pm On Oct 01, 2014
Kanu Nwankwo

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Pamcrest(f): 4:48pm On Oct 01, 2014
Dr Stella Adadevoh
Prof Dora Akunyili
Chief Obafemi Awolowo

...and all other unknown patriots who made personal sacrifices for d good of others!

My humble submission

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Onchiz(m): 4:53pm On Oct 01, 2014
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Limaoscar: 4:55pm On Oct 01, 2014
My Grand Mother....yeah...you hearrrrd me!
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 01, 2014
idrissurajudeen: Oba femi Awolowo
Anthony Enahoro
Nnamdi Azikwe
Nyong Essien
Sir Ahmad Bello
Sir Tarawa Balewa
Chief Michael Okpara
U r a true Nigerian
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by oluamid(m): 5:12pm On Oct 01, 2014
DonDiego: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu - the man who saw tomorrow. Wole Soyinka - the man whose implacable opposition to injustice and tyranny is both ever-lasting and universal. Chinua Achebe - the man who spoke bitter truth to power regardless of whether that power was European (Western) or local (Nigerian.)

Unfortunately, these are now almost all our ancestors. Whatever happened to our generation and the unwillingness to be heroes and heroines?

How about you being our new generation hero?

None of those tribalist "founding fathers" deserve to be an hero.

The real hero is the Nigerian who despite all that our corrupt leaders has thrown at him, still manages to swim against the tide and survive on a daily basis.

The average (legit)hustler on the street of Lagos is my hero.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by eldoradoxx: 5:13pm On Oct 01, 2014
0merta:

There were a lot of better-qualified Yoruba Professors and Scholars than the then Igbo VCs of the Universities of Ibadan and Lagos, but an Igbo man was the ceremonial President then and he presided over the appointments of his kinsmen.

A shameful act of cronyism and sheer nepotism, if you ask me!
This distortion of history has to be stopped. At the time in the 60s when British stopped being VC of University of Ibadan, it was still purely a regional institution just like UNN and ABU Zaria. So Zik could not have imposed his tribesman on UI as u try to suggest. It was later on during the military regime that these universities were taken over by the Federal Military Government

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by oluamid(m): 5:20pm On Oct 01, 2014
pazienza:

4. Strong Igbo women whose fertility and industry ensured the restoration of Igbo population post civil war, not just by giving birth, but by contributing economically in raising that generation of Igbo nation.

You forget to mention the strong Igbo men who were doing the "shoki" every night. It must be an arduous task, getting an e.rection nightly to birth the next generation of the Igbo nation.

iKid iKid cheesy
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by oluamid(m): 5:39pm On Oct 01, 2014
Marlboro1:

And Ojukwu for being such a visionary. He foresaw todays Nigeria's problems back in 1967 and tried his best to fix it.

And Ojukwu tried to solve Nigeria's problem how? By secession? By being one of the people who caused the loss of lives of millions of Nigerians but escaped with his?

No bro, Ojukwu and his cohorts(the so-called founding fathers) didn't solve any problems. Rather, they compounded it.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Tomtoma: 5:44pm On Oct 01, 2014
Emulti: me
reasons:
(1) for giving myself power supply
(2) for paying heavily for my security
(3) for struggling nd hustling jst to make a living
(4) for enduring d intimidation nd sufferings imposed on nigerians since 1960. etc

True talk
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by iiiyyyk(m): 5:49pm On Oct 01, 2014
oluamid:

And Ojukwu tried to solve Nigeria's problem how? By secession? By being one of the people who caused the loss of lives of millions of Nigerians but escaped with his?

No bro, Ojukwu and his cohorts(the so-called founding fathers) didn't solve any problems. Rather, they compounded it.

study a little.
all Ojukwu asked for was for a balanced and safe nigeria for all, but things went out of hand by the killing of Igbos.
Read about Aburi Accord.

TB
zendy: Without a shadow of a
doubt,Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu:
1] First graduate and quartermaster-Genral of
the Nigerian army
2]Son of the richest man in West-Africa but
chose to join the army as a lowly recruit-
private even though he had degree from
Oxford University at the time.
3]First Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria.
4]Amist the wholesale killing of easterners in
the north,still chose to seek the peace and
unity of Nigeria by going to Aburi,Ghana where
he signed a peace agreement that required to
recognise Gowon who was junior to him as
head of state.
5]stood up against the northern domination of
Nigeria when all others would not.
6] Declared the Republic of Biafra on 30th May
1967 when Gowon not only failed in his
constitutional role to stop the killing of Igbos
but also broke the terms of the Aburi
agreement.
7] Ojukwu by declaring Biafra became the only
Igbo man to this day who chose stand by his
people above all considerations,even the
notion of 'one Nigeria'.
A great man he was.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by stiles009(m): 5:55pm On Oct 01, 2014
Fvcktard major general shekau

Nah,,,,,,, just kidding

My Mum
M. K. O. abiola
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 01, 2014
Chinua Achebe

Wole Soyinka
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by SkySpirit(m): 6:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu!
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by kropelgrada(m): 7:05pm On Oct 01, 2014
Pa Michael Enaharo for moving the motion for an Independent Nigerian on March 31st,1953..
I'm surprised nobody mentioned him.
If not for him we wouldn't be were we are today.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by http(m): 8:18pm On Oct 01, 2014
my father and mother....
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by faksy(m): 8:23pm On Oct 01, 2014
My hero, who heartedly faught 4 human right.....GANI FAWEHINMI
more blessin tl day of resurection..
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by oluamid(m): 8:41pm On Oct 01, 2014
iiiyyyk:

study a little.
all Ojukwu asked for was for a balanced and safe nigeria for all, but things went out of hand by the killing of Igbos.
Read about Aburi Accord.

TB
zendy: Without a shadow of a
doubt,Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu:
1] First graduate and quartermaster-Genral of
the Nigerian army
2]Son of the richest man in West-Africa but
chose to join the army as a lowly recruit-
private even though he had degree from
Oxford University at the time.
3]First Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria.
4]Amist the wholesale killing of easterners in
the north,still chose to seek the peace and
unity of Nigeria by going to Aburi,Ghana where
he signed a peace agreement that required to
recognise Gowon who was junior to him as
head of state.
5]stood up against the northern domination of
Nigeria when all others would not.
6] Declared the Republic of Biafra on 30th May
1967 when Gowon not only failed in his
constitutional role to stop the killing of Igbos
but also broke the terms of the Aburi
agreement.
7] Ojukwu by declaring Biafra became the only
Igbo man to this day who chose stand by his
people above all considerations,even the
notion of 'one Nigeria'.
A great man he was.

Take your own advice about studying.

I'm not going to go into the politics of who was right and who was wrong, but if Ojukwu was the saviour of the Igbo as you seem to think, then he could easily have shelved his secessionist plans to save Igbo lives. But no, he had to fight out a battle of wills against Gowon who to all intents and purpose had a larger army, equipment and was more prepared for war, thereby causing the death of the Igbos he was trying to save in the first place. Ironic, isn't it?

Its one thing to rule but its another to lead. Ojukwu should have been able to sacrifice his own life for the "motherland" as he so easily inspired many to. He ought to "lead" from the frontlines not the comfort of his government house. Immediately the war got to his front steps, he ran away.

Therein lies my problem with the man.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 01, 2014
Awolowo & Yaradua
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Badboykilla1996: 8:51pm On Oct 01, 2014
Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa,first and only prime minister in Nigeria
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by gungab(m): 9:18pm On Oct 01, 2014
[color=#000099][/color]MKO and the black scorpion
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Crazyadlin(f): 9:36pm On Oct 01, 2014
My hero is Daddy, he is a grt disciplinarian grin
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by shineteen(m): 10:52pm On Oct 01, 2014
Wow mine is hmm no1

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Mad Cow Attacks And Injures Butcher That Was Hired To Kill It For Wedding -Video / You Are Legally Dead And Will Remain Dead, Court Tells Man (photo) / The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.