Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,503 members, 7,808,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University (76965 Views)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job / 12 Things Successful Nigerians Never Reveal About Themselves / How To Start A University Lecturing Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by sherbol: 6:54pm On Oct 01, 2014
adonbilivit: university degree is overrated. it does not guarantee success. infact sometimes it even makes you "poor" due to pride. a university graduate may turn down a great opportunity because they feel their level(B.sc) is too high for that.

after some don do big boy finish for school them no go fit hustle again coz of shame. thats why internet fraud(yahoo yahoo) is on the increase.
university degree is not n cannot b overrated. It may not guarantee success BT it is a vital means to success. Don't b ignorant!

2 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 01, 2014
No time to read through d long text...
So you mean my lazy uneducated neighbour too can be successful....
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by adonbilivit: 7:01pm On Oct 01, 2014
sherbol: university degree is not n cannot b overrated. It may not guarantee success BT it is a vital means to success. Don't b ignorant!
iam not ignorant. you could still make a point without that last sentence.

oh really? its not overrated? how else can you explain the number of employable graduates wallowing in poverty? what makes you think parents spend even their last penny to ensure their children get a university degree? just to learn grammar? ogbeni park well
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by InglishTeechar(m): 7:08pm On Oct 01, 2014
Really, it might also interested you to knew that bus conductors are richer than some graduates...kapish
bolukaz: 8 succesful people alone? Why not take a short trip around your hood and observe scores of uneducated people living 'just' around the poverty line, these people just happened to get a 1-in-a-million chance of making it big in an education-driven society
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by InglishTeechar(m): 7:13pm On Oct 01, 2014
sherbol: university degree is not n cannot b overrated. It may not guarantee success BT it is a vital means to success. Don't b ignorant!

May i also told you that bus conductors are richer than some graduates...the most annoy thing is the way some graduates are so boastful with devilish pride...any small thing 'do you know am a graduate' as if that will put food on your table...mcheeeew
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 7:22pm On Oct 01, 2014
InglishTeechar: Really, it might also interested you to knew that bus conductors are richer than some graduates...kapish
"some bus conductors", nice that you even mentioned that, this simply shows that those few bus conductors happen to get blessed enough to earn better than gradates......in other words, conductors are not supposed to earn close to the average graduates NORMALLY
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by mechepatrick137(m): 7:23pm On Oct 01, 2014
rattlesnake: But somebody else who went to university on their behalf was behind their success...... undecided

Don jazzy cant make music without some software developer
Coscharis cant sell cars without the engineers who made the cars
Famfa oil cant do business without the oil engineers
Mercy Johnson cant have Big braests without Dr 90210 tongue tongue

etc etc etc

I will rather go to school
. Jealousy
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Unclerukus: 7:30pm On Oct 01, 2014
Seriously the op should shut his trap,most of those people listed there were politically or financially backed, Alakija,Dangote,do they sound familiar. There is more to their wealth and success that meets the eyes though their grit and determination is notivational and greatly respected.Don't mislead young people from going to school and being educated, if you are a looser, just suck it up and stop bring people to reason with you,besides who told you going to school stops you from being an entrepreneur? I will keep telling any youth,with the way our government is filled with economic uncertainties, there nothing as precious as being educated, it can never loose its value, go to school and if you like, you can venture into business. Only a complete looser and failure will advice you not to go to school even the so called entrepreneurs send their kids to the best institutions because they know what being educated is and what it brings.....but seriously judging by most post I read here,I think this place is infested with scores and multitudes of losers.

2 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
Hmm... d matter wey u yab so ehn, e get as e be
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by utytill(m): 7:44pm On Oct 01, 2014
OP,pls define success and successful.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:48pm On Oct 01, 2014
handie: 8 Successful Nigerians who went to school:
Aliko Dangote: Africa's richest Man worth an estimated 25 billion USD, ranked 23rd richest Man in the whole wide world is a graduate of Business from Al-Ahzar university Cairo.
JIM OVIA- the godfather of Nigeria banking sector with a personal net worth of 900 million USD, the owner of Africa's second largest financial service provider with according to market capitalisation and assets base of 4.2 Billion US dollars, a Mobile telecommunications network provider with over 2.5 million subscribers holds a B.sc in business administration from southern university Louisiana, a masters degree in business administration from southern university Louisiana and is an alumnus of Harvard school of Business.
Mike Adenuga Jr- We've all heard of the telecommunications network Globacom, we've used it before or know someone who has used it.(most of us are even using it to read this tread now lol). it's the largest indigenous telecommunications company in Nigeria. He also owns a oil company(Con Oil) and a bank. The owner of this telecoms giant and these other great establishments is a graduate of northwestern university Oklahoma and pace university New York graduating with degrees in business administration
2face Idibia- Affectionately called 2baba by his teeming fans, a man you just can't hate, a winner of soo many awards(this thread no fit hold all of them) the first Nigerian to appear in Billboard's magazine top selling albums, and is undoubtedly Nigeria's greatest entertainment export of this century holds an OND from institute of management technology Enugu.
Do I need to say more? Success is about grace but education helps increase your chances of being successful. HAPPY NEW MONTH AND INDEPENDENCE DAY

criminals and fronts for corrupt politicians.
They legalize illegal businesses with the aid of politicians.
you see, the university educated entrepreneurs are looters.
A director in a civil service earns just #100k but they loot to cover up.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by agrovick(m): 7:51pm On Oct 01, 2014
missberrypop5: lol, what's with my username? I'm cool and you?
I'm good, the combination is quite intriguing. I already made 3 guesses from the name
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 01, 2014
rattlesnake: But somebody else who went to university on their behalf was behind their success...... undecided

etc etc etc

we all need eachoda,but I wnt u to no dat d first person to make a car didn't study automobile engineeing in school and pls dere is noting like going to scul on behalf of somebody
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by charzyh2: 7:58pm On Oct 01, 2014

etc etc etc

true intelligence is when you use other people's intelligent to achieve your goals. Bill Gates said his classmates in Havard are now engineers in Microsoft while he's the owner of microsoft.
Give me a name of a doctor in Nigeria that became a billionaire through his profession and I will give you hundred names of entrepreneurs that are multi billionaires through their enterprise. If you know your onions, you will be successful instead of settling down with a job (Just Over Broke).
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 8:00pm On Oct 01, 2014
ARES: for every rich uneducated there are a million poor uneducated..... ur logic doesnt hold
so
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by asalimpo(m): 8:13pm On Oct 01, 2014
Some of these motivational stories are misleading.
First is d definition of success.
Is it money ?
This is what society recognises only but its incomplete.
What of a policeman who successfully stamped out crime in a zone (theyre som like this).
They were excellent @ wat they did but their bank account ddnt reflect it.
Wasnt he a success?
Wat of d house wife who kept the home disciplined the children
made sure they didnt degenerate
with d society around?
When her daughters got married,they were a plus to their husbands.
Did her bank account reflect it? No!
What of nurse , who treated patients like they were her children-with heart.
What of d lecturer/teacher who studied a subject deeply thinking of ingenious ways to make boring /hard subjects interestg?
Can u measure their success by nice cars,houses etc? No!
Lets bullshit this narrow ideas of success.
Some off these money fellow got rich on d backs of slave labour. They exploit ,underpay and maltreat the army of workers that make them rich yet we applaud them. Please!!

But if money is d basis, how representative are these figures.
In a country of 100M+ 100 people strike gold without d certs,
how representative is that number to d overall population?
That's less than 1 in a million!
Meaning tht for every 1 in a million who hit it big, 900,000 failed to make it
or assuming babies handicaps lunatics educated children comprise half the population, then tht still leaves a large portion of people unsuccessful. I.e circa 400 000+ to every one success story.

These stories dont apply.
Reality is harsher than d fantasy pix painted by these stories.

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by asalimpo(m): 8:18pm On Oct 01, 2014
charzyh2:
true intelligence is when you use other people's intelligent to achieve your goals. Bill Gates said his classmates in Havard are now engineers in Microsoft while he's the owner of microsoft.
Give me a name of a doctor in Nigeria that became a billionaire through his profession and I will give you hundred names of entrepreneurs that are multi billionaires through their enterprise. If you know your onions, you will be successful instead of settling down with a job (Just Over Broke).

this is a sick philosophy.
If those engineers @ microsoft dont know what theyre stuff,theyd b no product for microsoft to sell and get rich on.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Olawaleslimfit(m): 8:20pm On Oct 01, 2014
Dbang nko
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by asalimpo(m): 8:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
bigiyaro: my oga, don't get me wrong, I said attending the University does not GUARANTEE success or wealth . Bill Gates dropped out when the University became a nuisance to him. Dangote, p square, tubaba, Michael Jackson etc etc, which universities did they attend? What am saying is that University is good but it doesn't guarantee anything. A graduate earning 200k does not even fall into the bracket of successful and wealthy. When we talk of wealth, you know just what we are talking about.

200k mayb small to you but that graduate may never suffer materially if he earns tht amount long enuff.
Besides theyre whole families subsisting on 50k.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by asalimpo(m): 8:41pm On Oct 01, 2014
sexzskil: I keep on seeing 2 face, down hazy, whiz kid, p square, etc as being successful In the REAL world all these mediocre can never be labelled celebrities or ''successful''. Anyway, we are in third-world country. One was even putting all these talentless reetards along Michael Jackson in the same sentence, how more foolish can Africans get?
Take it easy. Though not globally recognised,these guyz mentioned ar national household names. Theyre successful.
And money wise,they got somthing to show too.
Theyre successful@their level.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by bigiyaro(m): 8:44pm On Oct 01, 2014
enkay4love: [/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by aspirebig: 8:46pm On Oct 01, 2014
Success is very relative. I do not know what op is trying to pass across here.

Are you trying to tell us that going to university is not good?. What works for A, may not work B, beware. In nigeria, we all talk about people success without education as if is a walk in the park. ..

It is not written anywhere that a degree result is gateway to wealth, afterall the likes of Bill gate was a school drop, yet held world 1 richest man for years before the other man took over. The truth is that most of these 8 people mentioned couldn't further their education because of some issues they had at that point in time. Like the Nduka man lost his dad at a young age and had to go and learn trade. MJ too failed jamb, even Dr Kalu too had eeasons for to discontinue schooling at the early age and so on, it is not like they had they opportunity to get educated and declined. Some failed due to poor academic results, poor financial background etc. It is important to clarify things to avoid misleading the public in this forum.

It is not by force to go sch, if you like go, if you like no go, but in future when jungle mature, your body go tell u, then maybe u are in your late 40s or 50s.

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by BlackHuman(m): 8:49pm On Oct 01, 2014

etc etc etc

Wrong!....They could still have been rich even without people who went to univeristy, because long before the invention of universities and B.SCs? Rich men have always existed..

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by bigiyaro(m): 8:49pm On Oct 01, 2014
asalimpo:

200k mayb small to you but that graduate may never suffer materially if he earns tht amount long enuff.
Besides theyre whole families subsisting on 50k.
bros we are talking about real wealth not buying iPhone 6+ and Googling how to get unlimited browsing with #200 on airtel.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by bigiyaro(m): 8:51pm On Oct 01, 2014
enkay4love: [/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 01, 2014
agrovick:
I'm good, the combination is quite intriguing. I already made 3 guesses from the name
lol, what are the guesses, hope it's a chineke guess o grin. Well, when i was registering i didn't have any username in mind, so i just placed in whatever came into my head, so i was taking a strawberry lollipop when i was registering and took the "berry" and "pop" to create one. This is the end of my story grin
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by charzyh2: 9:13pm On Oct 01, 2014
asalimpo:

this is a sick philosophy .
If those engineers @ microsoft dont know what theyre stuff,theyd b no product for microsoft to sell and get rich on.

what's sick? That a drop out directs first class graduates? Mark Zuckerberg became the youngest billionaire at 23 while as a doctor earn roughly 400,000naira monthly with hard labour. As a civil servant, how much does the govt pay you?
All what the op and I mean is that your destiny is not tied to school.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by 185mikel(m): 9:21pm On Oct 01, 2014
school or no school , graduate or no graduate has nothing to do with your financial success or success in life. We've got a lot people that are academically successful but after school have nothing to show for it. the chance in life is granted by God irrespective of what you have, where you are or who you are. the race of life is not for the fastest and the wise are not always rich.

4 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by raphy(m): 9:28pm On Oct 01, 2014
some ppl keep thinking when they go to school,they will be able to climb every mountain that life will give them.to be sucessfull it must start from ya my mind.wether you are educated or not .happy independence day to mother land.and happy new month t you all #livestrong #raphycares
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by jaxxy(m): 9:37pm On Oct 01, 2014
iamsegsy: why not give us millions of successful people who went to school and get dis crap outta here...... dis are d kinda things that discourages youth from studying hard.... they all wanna be lyk wizkid,davido....it might work for them but not for all

u should encourage us not discourage us...

Education is a great tool whether formal or informal and my greatest advice wud be pursue a formal education. Bt then there a thousands if nt millions of graduates in this country unemployed and even those with jobs probly 60% of them still barely live a comfortable life.

80% of graduates these days don't even practice their course of study which is sad due the stucture of the society we find ourselves. U see sm1 with Yoruba working in a bank or ministry department which has notin 2do with his study. Microbiologist and even lawyers so wats the hype about?

Some had nice jobs and never saved or invested and later get affected by downsizing and with all d education can't get back on their feet if another job doesn't turn up. So wots d hype?

I hv frnds who lost their jobs and where like they were like its d end of d world. But y?
Some peeps study hard and finish skol bt yet do wat they r passionate about like fashion, sports, biz, techy ideas and what have u and they make it.

Even most graduates 2day r half baked which is truely sad due 2 our educational system

Don't get me wrong By all means get education(formal) and By All means graduate with flying colors bt pls don't see dat as your only pontential or leverage. Education is just one of the many u may have in u.

Education is futile if ure nt applying it to personal development, work place, the environment and world. That how it is in a civilized world. Bt sadly we r in naija...

2 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by hotmas911(m): 10:03pm On Oct 01, 2014
bolukaz: 8 succesful people alone? Why not take a short trip around your hood and observe scores of uneducated people living 'just' around the poverty line, these people just happened to get a 1-in-a-million chance of making it big in an education-driven society
he said 8 people who didn't attend a university. He didn't say 8 people that are not educated. The most successful people in history are educated outside the walls of universites. Universities offer less than 20% of what real education is. Being educated is not synonymous to being a university graduate. I will chose self education anyday over university education. I like the company of biblical king David, our lord Jesus Christ. These didn't attend any organised institutions. Why did bill gates, zuckerbag, Henry ford, Thomas Edison, and many more succeful people not having university degrees. Most universities produce a lot of certified illiterate with paper certificates. Is Tuface not more useful to us than a graduate of engineering workin g in a bank as a cashier? True education is not in the four walls of a university.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Pharmacy Vs Nursing: Which Is More Lucrative? / Mutale Winfridah: Zambian Female Banker Suspended For Sleeping With 200 Men / Why Are People In These Professions Very Rude?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.