Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times (31849 Views)

EBOLA: This Is What US Gave To Nigeria To Contain Spread Of The Virus / Ebolafacts.com Launched To Help West Africa To Contain Ebola Virus / First Case Of Suspected Ebola Discovered In New York City, Usa!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by NgeneUkwenu(f): 9:22pm On Oct 01, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Cleverly, stop denying your shadow

Adanne, dont worry, i have 36 remaining! na him go tire, na my younger brother dey help me open them tongue

www.nairaland.com/1521300/back-again-fight-heart-soul#1521300.24

So Ngwakwe where did I say I was Cleverly??
Why are you trying very hard to assign a moniker I don't have anything to do with me??
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 01, 2014
This success shows that whenever Nigerians decide to unite and do something tangible, no power on earth can match us. No wonder the rest of the world is so frightened of us, seeking to constantly ''bring us down a peg or two''. But we keep moving..

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Osode: 10:01pm On Oct 01, 2014
Ngwakwe:

This is the kind of Politics and division that would've empowered Ebola to do more havoc in Nigeria as Bokoharam has done

Enough of these political rhetoric.

Next is Unity in support of our men in uniforms especially the Military and the Presidency in the fight against Boko Jihadists.

Wow.... Ngwakwe
You talked about these Strange Fellows we literaly had to 'defeat' for us to forge a common front at that critical moment that we did as a nation ....And one of them actualy showed up, ....Now, ...Mid thread!!
And telling very obvious (and divisive) lies ..as usual!!
Haa ...Ngwakwe, are u sure you have not started developing Prophetic Abilities?. ...Because of too much time on nairaland??
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Nobody: 10:09pm On Oct 01, 2014
I expect the Nigerian government to compensate the hospital that treated the mad Liberian...Even though money cannot buy life...Dr Adedavoh family should be compensated with 1billion naira.. sad
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by lonelydora: 10:10pm On Oct 01, 2014
At least a good news about Nigeria from US
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by ayusco85(m): 10:19pm On Oct 01, 2014
Nigerdeltaboi: I heard Barack Obama has called Goodluck Jonathan at least 12 times today for guidance on preventing an Ebola Outbreak in the USA........... and Goodluck was like : I am busy at the parade ground cheesy

u badt gan cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Youngzedd(m): 10:22pm On Oct 01, 2014
Bill Gates' Foundation Gives Its Largest Gift Ever To Combat Ebola Crisis >>
https://www.nairaland.com/1900883/bill-gates-foundation-gives-largest
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Decryptor(m): 10:22pm On Oct 01, 2014
berem: ok seen!

Happy independence to you!

And yet you wanted to deny it just like your APC pay masters
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Aida13: 10:22pm On Oct 01, 2014
The epidermic has been contained because all those rich looting government officials knew they and their families will not be safe if ebola is not handled. So everyone put in effort. If it was something that won't affect them, I'm sure they would have corrupted the process and many more would have been lost. I'm happy anyway for this good news telling us 'it could have been worse; but it's not'.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by cozy7(m): 10:28pm On Oct 01, 2014
asala1: With quick and coordinated action by some of its top doctors, Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, appears to have contained its first Ebola outbreak, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday.

As the epidemic rages out of control in three nations only a few hundred miles away, Nigeria is the only country to have beaten back an outbreak with the potential to harm many victims in a city with vast, teeming slums.

“For those who say it’s hopeless, this is an antidote — you can control Ebola,” said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, director of the C.D.C.

Although officials are pleased that success was achieved in a country of 177 million that is a major transport and business hub — and whose largest city, Lagos, has 21 million people — the lessons here are not easily applicable to the countries at the epicenter: Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Public health officials in those countries remain overwhelmed by the scale of the outbreak and are desperate for additional international assistance.

Nigeria’s outbreak grew from a single airport case, while in the three other countries the disease smoldered for months in remote rain-forest provinces and spread widely before a serious response was mounted.

Ebola, Dr. Frieden said, “won’t blow over — you have to make a rapid, intense effort.”

While the danger in Nigeria is not over, the health minister, Dr. Onyebuchi Chukwu, said in a telephone interview that his country was now better prepared, with six laboratories able to make diagnoses and response teams and isolation wards ready in every major state.

After the first patient — a dying Liberian-American — flew into Lagos on July 20, Ebola spread to 20 other people there and in a smaller city, Port Harcourt.

They have all now died or recovered, and the cure rate — 60 percent — was unusually high for an African outbreak.

Meanwhile, local health workers paid 18,500 face-to-face visits to repeatedly take the temperatures of nearly 900 people who had contact with them. The last confirmed case was detected on Aug. 31, and virtually all contacts have passed the 21-day incubation period without falling ill.

The success was in part the result of an emergency command center financed in 2012 by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to fight polio. As soon as the outbreak began, it was turned into the Ebola Emergency Operations Center.

Also, the C.D.C. had 10 experts in Nigeria working on polio and H.I.V., who had already trained 100 local doctors in epidemiology; 40 of them were immediately reassigned to Ebola and oversaw the contact tracing.

The chief of the command center, Dr. Faisal Shuaib, gave credit to a coordinated effort by the Health Ministry, the C.D.C., the World Health Organization, Unicef, Doctors Without Borders and the International Committee for the Red Cross.

Also, he noted, Nigeria has significant advantages over poorer countries where the outbreak is out of control.

It has many more doctors per capita, some educated abroad at top medical schools.

Continue reading the main storyContinue reading the main storyContinue reading the main story
It has standing teams of medical investigators, with vehicles and telephones, who normally trace outbreaks of other ills like cholera or Lassa fever.

Lagos University Teaching Hospital was able to do Ebola tests in six hours.

The hospitals where patients were isolated were equipped to do tests for electrolytes and blood proteins, both of which must be kept in balance as patients are fed orally or intravenously to replace fluids lost to diarrhea and vomiting.

And air-conditioned hospitals let people wearing protective gear work longer without overheating.

Nigeria also had some luck. Although the first patient, a businessman named Patrick Sawyer, was vomiting on his flight in, none of the roughly 200 others on the plane fell ill. Others did after helping him into a taxi to a hospital.

And a patient in Port Harcourt went to her church and became violently ill during a ceremony in which the congregation laid hands on her. But none became infected.

Dr. Sue Desmond-Hellmann, the Gates Foundation’s chief executive, said she was “heartened to see this positive result of the efforts of so many in Nigeria.”

On July 17, Mr. Sawyer defied medical advice and left a hospital in Monrovia, Liberia, where he was being held for observation after caring for his sister, who died of Ebola, although it was unclear whether he knew what she had.

Nigerian news reports said he used Liberian government contacts for permission to leave, flying to Lagos by way of Ghana and Togo. He planned to go to an economic development conference there and then fly back to Coon Rapids, Minn., for his children’s birthdays, according to media interviews with his widow.

Taken to a small private hospital after he collapsed, he denied any contact with Ebola victims and was initially treated for malaria. He died on July 25.

“That hospital had zero infection control,” Dr. Frieden said.

A nurse who helped reinsert an IV line when Mr. Sawyer was delirious and bleeding wore no gloves, had a cut on her hand and did not wash it, he said. She later died.

After malaria treatment failed, Ebola was “high on the index of suspicion,” Dr. Shuaib said.

He learned about Mr. Sawyer’s diagnosis as he sat chatting in his office with a colleague.

“I thought: ‘Oh, my God, not Nigeria. Not Lagos.’ I knew the potential for it to spread in a densely populated place.”

Even though the emergency center swung into action quickly and aggressive contact tracing was possible because Nigeria’s Port Health Services obtained records of Mr. Sawyer’s travel, there were still problems.

It took 14 days, Dr. Frieden said, for the first isolation ward to open in a former tuberculosis ward.

“Health workers initially wouldn’t go in,” he said. “They were afraid. We ultimately trained 1,800 staff.”

Wards were reconfigured to add space between beds, put in washing stations with chlorinated water and create rooms where doctors and nurses could carefully don and remove protective gear. The worked in teams of two so they could watch each other and prevent mistakes.

Also, according to a C.D.C. study released Tuesday in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, inaccurate news media reports before the government began offering official information “created a nationwide scare.”

Sales of false cures, including “Blessed Salt,” shot up, and two Nigerians died of drinking large amounts of saltwater.

But Dr. Shuaib emphasized that even terrified Nigerians did not deny the virus’s existence or attack health workers, as happened in the other countries. “No conspiracy theories entered the debate,” he said.

Nigeria’s success shows how important preparation is, said Dr. Frieden, adding, “Some countries that could well be the next Lagos still don’t have a clue about how to deal with this.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/health/ebola-outbreak-in-nigeria-appears-to-be-over.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0
NORTH,EAST, WEST OR SOUTH, NIGERIA IS MOUTHED, D ENTIRE WORLD HAD BETTER TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Arsenate(m): 10:29pm On Oct 01, 2014
arresa: [s][/s]
The truth is never bitter, it's only bitter to the perpetrators and truth deniers..
Btw, quit the nonsense about the OP and NY times, I responded to your BS about Unity so deal with that..
Your FG knows nothing about Unity and their actions have always been divisive and not unifying. They even lack the morale authority to talk to Nigerians about unity because we've always been united and the fact that regardless of our differences we are still together says a lot so they need to shut up about all that emotional blackmail designed to cover their shortcomings, corrupt ways and incompetence..
keep ranting. the more you rant the more I hate your stuupid divisive APC, the more PDP are assured of my vote.
I can see through you.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Sunofgod(m): 10:30pm On Oct 01, 2014
Up 'Bitter Kola Nut' . . . .
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by 100Cents: 10:35pm On Oct 01, 2014
Jonathan till 2019...
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Nobody: 10:37pm On Oct 01, 2014
cnn would never report this.....

But wait o....an ebola victim went to church and they laid hands on her and no one contacted the disease? Damn........talk about luck/chance/grace. Nna men God truly dey o

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by groovie(m): 10:40pm On Oct 01, 2014
arresa:

Why do people like you insult and pollute our senses with your collective and ridiculous absurdities?

Talk about medicine after death...

Ebola showed up in Nigeria back in July, they promised to release funds weeks later and not right away, but the funds didn't show up until September when the whole episode was over and done with...

[img]http://4.bp..com/-0EON-o48cUU/VBtZCwxOGUI/AAAAAAADj-E/crO1S0hh28c/s1600/aa.png[/img]

Below was back in August when Lagos state was solely battling Ebola in August. No funds was sent to Lagos and non was released according to the state government..

So, where was the Federal funds when the virus was raging in Lagos?

Where was the federal funds when Lagos state government was staffing and equipping facilities test and detect?

Where was the Federal funds when Lagos state government built isolation units in Lagos state?

Ebola is a very dangerous virus that no society should ever be burdened with, but we are glad it happened in a place where they have credible and assertive leaders with great sense of duty and dedication and also with foresight to support their efforts with critical funds needed to battle the disease...

Not some worthless, useless and lying incompetent people releasing funds well after the war was won and over with...

But bros ehn, I don't understand all these things u re saying. The reason for creating State govt, and local govt, is to bring the govt closer to the people. So that been said, the lasg min of health did their job, the federal ministry of health did their job. Every one was on point here. Lets stop politicizing this issue abeg

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Barywhyte(m): 10:43pm On Oct 01, 2014
thewarrior72: Many holes & deviations in that report. Instead of giving honour & respect to Nigeria the keep twisting the fact...smh

You got it! bunch of liars. they were telling the world that Nigeria wouldnt have recorded such huge success without their own existing facility in Nigeria. Pride go b4 a Fall! They dont know that

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by prowlG: 10:45pm On Oct 01, 2014
Cheap Mtn Data bundles!!!
why pay high price for data when you can get 250mb for N300 here:
https://www.nairaland.com/1917369/extremely-cheap-mtn-data-300
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by UyiIredia(m): 10:46pm On Oct 01, 2014
Not 'seem', IS containing the Ebola.
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by chidimmaaa(f): 10:47pm On Oct 01, 2014
THIS IS NIGERIA. Ebola no dey fear face? For those of us that have been grading nigeria nd insulting their own country saying that there is nothing to celebrate @54. I'm pretty sure this calls for one

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Danjunior(m): 10:47pm On Oct 01, 2014
arresa:

1. Back in April, the FG of Nigeria lied to Nigerians and the world that Nigeria was ready to tackle Ebola and that we have vaccines that doesn't exist.

2. Their incompetence and lack of care threatened Nigerians by not only failing to put in place Ebola policy measures and Ebola fighting tools and equipment, but also trained folks at our point of entries that should have detected and prevented the Liberian man from entering the country especially with the virus ragging in parts of West Africa.

3. We managed to tackle the virus in Nigeria because sensible and dedicated people like Fashola did everything in their power not only to fight the virus, but also gave support and comfort to the sick and survivors.

4. When the FG minister was giving daily press conference, the Lagos state government was building isolation units, staffing and equipping their hospitals to rut tests and detect virus and monitoring contacts .

5. After the not so Ebola outbreak, we still have to move forward with other proactive measures to prevent similar situations and also integrate the survivors back into the society with love and support.

6. I posted pics of Fashola setting up special isolation units in Lagos that curtailed the virus which the usual ignorant characters and bigots on NL trashed endlessly.

7. The Lagos state government and legislature made available funds to fight the disease while your FG was making fake promises about funds that didn't show up. Thank God the state government didn't wait and sit around for some fake funds from ABuja.

Now, who's out there showing love and support? Who is welcoming, hugging and laughing with the survivors?

We got lucky because of the hard working, sensible, proactive and dedicated folks in Lagos state including the first responders and medical doctors including the brave ones that paid the ultimate price for keeping us safe..

Back to last April again..

This lying and incompetent FG left us exposed and vulnerable with their lies that Nigeria was ready to fight Ebola and that they have Ebola vaccines that doesn't exist anywhere on the surface of the earth.

We remain in danger because the same ignorant, uneducated and incompetent people are still running the country...
Another fool trying to decieve gullible Nigerians. Smh for you

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by TheMasterpiece(m): 10:54pm On Oct 01, 2014
Is this a subtle insinuation that Nigeria couldn't have done it independently?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by prowlG: 10:55pm On Oct 01, 2014
chidimmaaa: THIS IS NIGERIA. Ebola no dey fear face? For those of us that have been grading nigeria nd insulting their own country saying that there is nothing to celebrate @54. I'm pretty sure this calls for one

For sure
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by LEAFLET(m): 10:57pm On Oct 01, 2014
I just saw this news on yahoo and surprisingly people are not commenting probably cus it's a good news coming out of Nigeria...If it was scam or boko haram news,You would have seen like 100 comments by now...Smh for naija haters..

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by pdrefurb: 11:03pm On Oct 01, 2014
Goldmind1: yeye country!
Fools, your time is past already.
na ur time pass idiot
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by amtalkin(f): 11:09pm On Oct 01, 2014
I see some well paid people trying so hard to defend their party. Now the question is if Ebola had spread who will they have called for this resignature?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by PHIPEX(m): 11:21pm On Oct 01, 2014
See how they almost stylishly took the shine away from Nigeria. Who cares if the isolation centres were originally built for polio by Americans. Thank God our effort has become a global reference point, I wonder why the report failed to mention our 'Herbicide' drug.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Worksunlimited: 11:32pm On Oct 01, 2014
Valfrankie: Nigeria has the potential to become world power next to America and Russia, if only there was any form of motivation from the Government, the world would 've been amazed at what we could 've achieved. GOD isn't an AMERICAN as erroneously being speculated, HE IS A NIGERIA, BORN AND BRED SOMEWHERE IN ANAMBRA STATE!

GOD BLESS NIGERIA

TAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... Keep quiet dere!
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Bertbert: 11:32pm On Oct 01, 2014
Great Nigeria the best country in the whole wide world I hail thee....happy independnce jare.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:32pm On Oct 01, 2014
PHIPEX: See how they almost stylishly took the shine away from Nigeria. Who cares if the isolation centres were originally built for polio by Americans. Thank God our effort has become a global reference point, I wonder why the report failed to mention our 'Herbicide' drug.

If only we can fight corruption and indiscipline just like we fought EBOLA, Nigeria will be a better place.
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by sexzskil(f): 11:34pm On Oct 01, 2014
Valfrankie: Nigeria has the potential to become world power next to America and Russia, if only there was any form of motivation from the Government, the world would 've been amazed at what we could 've achieved. GOD isn't an AMERICAN as erroneously being speculated, HE IS A NIGERIA, BORN AND BRED SOMEWHERE IN ANAMBRA STATE!

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
BASTARRRRD! EVEN IN A BILLION YEARS NIGERIA CAN NEVER EVER BECOME THE SOLE POWER OF AFRICA TALKLESS OF THE FVCK STATEMENT U JUST UTTERED. SACRILEDGE! SO because NIGERIA MANAGED TO TACKLE EBOLA, THEN GBASK!, IT IS NOW A GREAT COUNTRY. THIS IS THE NARCISSISM I'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT.
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by coolk(m): 11:35pm On Oct 01, 2014
How I despise America...

They always find subtle ways to derogate my country even when they appear to praise us.

... in a city with vast, teeming slums

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Worst Day Of My Life: She Was Barren For 14yrs & She Died On Childbirth - Doctor / Physically Challenged Man Constructs Wheelchair Pickup Van For His Business / Fallen Tree Kills Woman, Injures 10 Others In Ilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.