Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,587 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review (30312 Views)

Photos From Set Of Kunle Afolayan's Most Anticipated Film ‘The CEO’ / Photos From The Premiere Of Kunle Afolayan’s “October 1″ / Kunle Afolayan’s October 1 Movie Set For Cinemas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by NoContract(m): 9:00am On Oct 02, 2014
Brimmie: He said it all?? Have you seen the Movie?? The Writer of this article is so bitter and his choice of words reeks of hatred.

BrB

Yes arzehole. I saw the movie yesterday. You can now go and f/uck yourself!

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by adora4u1: 9:04am On Oct 02, 2014
adioolayi: Constructive criticism is good...as good as it is, I will only ask the writer to tell us one film he/she has directed, produced or acted before....if non, then he/she should keep his/her mouth shut!

And how many films did Roger Ebert direct, produce or act in? Assuming you know who Roger Ebert is! Google him and get back to me!

2 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Canme4u(m): 9:16am On Oct 02, 2014
It is well.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Ishilove: 9:18am On Oct 02, 2014
UjSizzle:
Did you read the book?
I've found adaptations extremely disappointing in the past that I don't bother watching now (not even GOT undecided).
No I haven't read it.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Exponental(m): 9:20am On Oct 02, 2014
Good write up. I wish Kunle can see this so he can pick one or two from this to help him improve on his future works. Criticism is good, let's do it to improve but not for beef, sentiment or jealousy sake.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by kay29000(m): 9:40am On Oct 02, 2014
mogroide:
The movie is simply an embodiment of marketing gimmicks- it may make its money back but like Phone Swap and his other films, it will not revolutionise film making in Nigeria. Kunle Afolayan needs to be a deep thinking artist with a strong vision that will flow through every aspect of his work

He isn’t there yet. 

Rating: Lacking in depth. 5/10

Lovely breakdown of the movie. It is true, Kunle Afolayan needs to be a deeper thinker. But you have to give it to him for at least doing something far better than the dozens of movies Nollywood releases every week. He might not be THE ONE, but he would spark the mind of dozens of intending Nigerian movie makers to make their move, and create something greater.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by donmalcolm21(m): 9:45am On Oct 02, 2014
Why can't we see things objectively without bringing out our lack of home training, if u are a tribalist then your parents are not worse than the HUTUS in Rwanda during the genocide. I've not watched the movie but Kunle Afolayan is a guy I will always watch his movie and recommend for any doubter about what Nollywood can give out but his failure starts the day movie critics turn a blind eye to his movies. I also enjoyed the critic view cos it helps me to see some shortcomings on Kunle's part and he still needs to work on those aspects.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by mapet: 9:52am On Oct 02, 2014
I cannot but agree with you any better. I watched the film and was utterly disappointed. I didn't get the kick/bang/whao! effect I expected and some flaws in the film confines it to a typical American low budget films...
20pounds: I have not seen this movie, but I must confess that this is one Nigerian movie that I look forward to seeing. Why? Cos I have seen the making and it is sooo good! I hope it doesn't disappoint me like Half of a yellow sun did.

Yes, Half of a yellow sun was an epic fail to me. The retinue of international cast that could not pronounce their character names properly - including my brother from Enugu state, Chiwetelu Ejiofor - was the starting point of my disconnect with the movie. Their facial expresions and portrayal of characters were unAfrican to say the least. Thandie Newton and Noni whatever were more American than African. To think Thandie is British and act like American churns at the stomach!

Why rush to parade international stars when we could have sourced for stars locally? Imagine a Denzel Washington or Samuel L Jackson playing Okonkwo in Achebe's Things fall apart. I had to draw this inference cos Adichie writes like Achebe by using Igbo language to think and translating it in english, on paper. You cannot divorce the rich Igbo culture from their writing.

The movie was not in conformity with the novel. I understand this happen sometimes when good books are made into movies, but I tend to ask if Adichie saw the movie before it's release? I ask this cos the character Okeoma, in my opinion, was created as a tribute to the fallen poet Chris Okigbo, who died in the war. Adichie gave him his dues by making him die at the war front like he did, but the movie had to make him die at Odenigbo and Olanna's wedding, thereby demeaning his sacrifice and making a coward out of him. The director need not show the scene of him dying at the war front. Someone could just have brought the news to Odenigbo and Olanna, like Dr Nwala did in the novel.

To me; Onyeka Onwenu(Odenigbo's mum) and the actor who played Harrison(Richard's houseboy) were the best. I reserve my comment till I have seen October 1. I do not want to predict the temper of the chick still in the hatch.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by davide470(m): 10:05am On Oct 02, 2014
destante: nvm. *faces palm
undecided
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Hydronium(m): 10:23am On Oct 02, 2014
Wasn't this supposed to be a review? *shakes head*
I think the writer may have had 'slight' issues with the Subject Person in the past...
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by obailala(m): 10:47am On Oct 02, 2014
adioolayi: Constructive criticism is good...as good as it is, I will only ask the writer to tell us one film he/she has directed, produced or acted before....if non, then he/she should keep his/her mouth shut!
So in your perfect world only a bus driver reserves the right to criticise another bus driver?... the passengers have no right to complain or criticise?

This is the same ol' bullcrap defence Nigerians keep coming up with all the time for mediocrity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the movie is mediocre cos I haven't even watched it. I am only referring to the basis of your defence of the movie which is that "only directors or actors have a right to criticise." That's a very wrong assumption.

2 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by avuekwe(f): 11:15am On Oct 02, 2014
Abeg , my own is , who is that guy that played the role of ' prince Aderopo? That guy is so so sexy. Abeg, make una drop his number if u get cos even though he was evil , he acted his part so well. And this should be his first nollywood act, I think. I couldn't help but fall in love with him from the screen. grin wink

3 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Bibol(f): 11:15am On Oct 02, 2014
I was looking forward to seeing this movie very soon but with this write up, i don't know what to believe again. The 'Behind the scenes' was quite catchy.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by ladej(m): 11:32am On Oct 02, 2014
GUY...........critics make a living from criticising. the world's best movie critics (think Roger Ebert & the like), http://www.rogerebert.com/ ARE not directors, producers or actors

But they do not need to be to criticise great work, or applaud it as the case may be

We all need criticising, if only to improve. It also saves you money if someone with more film knowledge tells you not to waste your time (rightly or wrongly)

So to re-iterate my point, the OP doesn't have to direct, produce or act to share his thoughts

Why don't you watch the movie and share your thoughts when you do

2 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by ladej(m): 11:33am On Oct 02, 2014
avuekwe: Abeg , my own is , who is that guy that played the role of ' prince Aderopo? That guy is so so sexy. Abeg, make una drop his number if u get cos even though he was evil , he acted his part so well. And this should be his first nollywood act, I think. I couldn't help but fall in love with him from the screen. grin wink
demola adedoyin. hes a newbie
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 02, 2014
Bibol: I was looking forward to seeing this movie very soon but with this write up, i don't know what to believe again. The 'Behind the scenes' was quite catchy.

Iyawo, dont believe this op.. The movie would be lovely.. I would see it. This should be first nigerian movie i would see in a cinema.. Even though it would likely be on a week day when movies show for N500 grin grin
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Brimmie(m): 12:04pm On Oct 02, 2014
NoContract:

Yes arzehole. I saw the movie yesterday. You can now go and f/uck yourself!

Smh! Why the swear words?? I thought I could brawl with you.

teeo:

Iyawo, dont believe this op.. The movie would be lovely.. I would see it. This should be first nigerian movie i would see in a cinema.. Even though it would likely be on a week day when movies show for N500 grin grin

Lol.. I've always said the first Nollywood Movie to see in Cinema must worth it. I wanted to go for Half Of A Yellow Sun, but I chilled till I got the Rip. wink

I wasn't disappointed after seeing October 1. Even though I finished my Popcorn before the Movie. Lol! Nigerians sabi delay things ehn!

I Repeat, y'all would come back to beat the hell outta the OP and his goons.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Brimmie(m): 12:13pm On Oct 02, 2014
avuekwe: Abeg , my own is , who is that guy that played the role of ' prince Aderopo? That guy is so so sexy. Abeg, make una drop his number if u get cos even though he was evil , he acted his part so well. And this should be his first nollywood act, I think. I couldn't help but fall in love with him from the screen. grin wink

I hope you aint the gurl behind me yesterday. Where did you watch it?

FilmHouse Surulere, Room 2.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by imonikhet: 12:32pm On Oct 02, 2014
Kunle Afolayan is doing well.... I do not agree with the critic on this one.
He has failed to understand that we the audience watch movies for various reasons.
We do not do it just to see what $2 million can produce.
Kunle's forte is his ability to tell Nigerian stories....
We the audience dont worry about the technicalities....
And dat is why we will keep trooping to the cinemas to watch his movies
and ignore critics like you who don't see the good in anything

2 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by adetokunboh: 1:08pm On Oct 02, 2014
Firstly, I've seen the film and I disagree with most of the things you've written here. You have a fallacious sensibility as regards what true cinema or art ought to be but you fail to realise that cinema/art mirrors life which intrinsically isn't limited to a single form or approach. The myriad of approaches and conveyance of artistic inclinations and work are primarily why several filmmakers, writers and painters are more appreciated by posterity and contemporarily censured by minds like yours that have been so enchanted by auteur cinema that you think that all films should be as boring and pretentious and demystified as complex, intellectual and ambiguous art like the likes of those in your mind.

You mentioned that this filmmaker jumps through genres and experiments with his films unlike the likes of Tarantino who sit within their comfort zone and churn out the same narrative every time a 'new' film comes out. Robert Browning a 19th century English poet once said that one should never sit within ones comfort zone. One should challenge himself by taking on always, new challenges and narratives and subjects you aren't used to. This I believe makes you evolve and well rounded. And this is what Steven Soderbergh does, an American great. Soderbergh has 'jumped' from a phenomenal story about drug trafficking and how it affects its mules as well as its consumers in Traffic, to a look into Guevara's life in Che then a femme fatale narrative in Haywire, Behind the Candelabra et al.

I think if you watched the film again, you'll realise the identity of the killer wasn't really meant to be concealed. And if you understand filmmaking and how shots are placed to align with dialogue and interchanging scenes, especially when Waziri gave out this charged speech to his police unit, you'd see that there were palpable indications as to certain revelatory intentions. It was more about WHY he killed and HOW he was going to be caught, which is the premise of the subject matter and its metaphorical leanings.

Waziri's back story is represented by his emaciated frame and look which is the reason he was cast in the first place. Look again. I do not want to give much away for those who haven't seen the film.

The story is about an age old docility and subservience which was broken in the end and which of course has a figurative representation as the characters are political synechdoches, which again should be self evident, even to you. An African standing up to British colonialism was represented previously in the film, by the Enugu story which was of course was met with, you know what...

Also, the 'pseudo intellectual' discussion with the educated class in Akote is true and subtle in itself as it doesn't come off as pretentious. It's realistic as opposed to European filmmaking where instead of leaving dialogue earthly and veritè, they dabble with subjects like the essence of human existence and quantum entanglement, lol.

Dude, whether you like it or not, filmmaking is an artform as well as it is a business. You'd understand this when you start sourcing for resources to bring your idea to life and you have to get money from investors.

I think you should watch the film again and reassess what comes off as prejudiced here mate.

Again, I thought it was simply world class within a culturally conscious and essential sense.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Dexema(m): 1:26pm On Oct 02, 2014
dania30:
Lol. U are so right about the half of a yellow sun. I had to download the book and after reading u could imagine my disappointment. The film didn't portray the book at all! Here I was wondering why odenigbo's mum called olanna a witch ( I found out from the book). The hype for that movie was really not worth it mbok. Abeg add Ugwu to the list, I enjoyed watching him, his facial expression was something else. He made the movie bearable.
And to october 1st movie, Kunle Afolayon is someone I respect so much and I'm certain he will deliver

I fink you have eye for details somfin wich really matters in movies especially nollywood. I fink ugwu did well in the movie,safe to say the supporting roles were the best performers.
BTW what do we call genevieves appearance in the movie? Cameo? Or Deux et machine something as the critic put it? grin
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Bibol(f): 1:40pm On Oct 02, 2014
teeo:

Maybe I will stick to the initial plan then

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by brainbox2014(m): 1:49pm On Oct 02, 2014
Too much reading wearieth the soul abeg (Solomon's words rephrased).

Not watched the movie yet but this guy sounds
like he has a personal beef with kunle mehn. You kon carry your website give us again so we can see more rants
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by salomycruz: 1:51pm On Oct 02, 2014
@ op all those ur gramner 2much....i bliv thats ur opinion, well said...as 4 me i gas watch oct 1 just waitn 4it to be 1k cos its currently 2k @ the movies...so till den no comment.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by mbulela: 1:58pm On Oct 02, 2014
This critic sounds so pained and personally violated by a man expressing his art.
I am all for criticism but this one comes off as too agressive.
I am Kunle will be the first to acknowledge the fact that he has not arrived. However, if this is your view on his work (which I think is a solid average on an standard), i will like to hear your view on other Nollywood works and present what you have directed and produced to back up your criticism.
Your only skill must not be rubbishing the works of others.
Have some balls!
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by oluamid(m): 2:09pm On Oct 02, 2014
You just burst the Oct 1 bubble for me @OP, was planning to see the movie before but right now, i'm having a rethink.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by mbulela: 2:58pm On Oct 02, 2014
oluamid: You just burst the Oct 1st bubble for me @OP, was planning to see the movie before but right now, i'm having a rethink.

Still go and see the flick, just like i intend doing during the sallah break.
Kunle might not be all that and while I hope he improves, considerable effort,thought and craft go into his works. Same cannot be said for Nollywood movies.
He is doing better than some Hollywood flicks too.

So go and see the movie if you want.

2 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 02, 2014
I am not surprised. Even his so-called well-acclaimed movie FIGURINE could only boast of great pictures and some brilliance in directing. The acting was poo. Ramsey Nouah's acting was disgusting especially at instances where he had to speak Yoruba. As for, Kunle Afolayan, he has always been a very poor actor to me. His voice always the usual flat note. No passion, no life, no connection to the situation at that particular time.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by DanWrites(m): 3:41pm On Oct 02, 2014
Half of a Yellow Sun the book, like all other Adichie's work is character-driven.

Generally, character-driven stories however gripping in reading, rarely make good movies.

What the screenplay would have done is manufacture a plot from the whole story.

To me the movie looked more like sporadic scenes from the book pieced together which is rather senseless.

Had I not read the book, I wouldn't have understood a thing from the movie. Actions were volatile, inexplicable and dream-like. The whole movie itself looked like a trailer.

The use of foreign stars also did more harm than good.
However I must still commend them because the language slips despite, they fitted well enough into the characters.
That showed they really put in effort.

Genevieve's portrayal of Miss Adebayo was a huge disappointment, or rather mistake.

Onyeka Onwenu was excellent.

The Ugwu character as one of the POV's the book was written from being made redundant in the movie was beyond infuriating.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija: “Why I Put Tobi Up For Eviction” – Cee-C / Lotto Nigeria Winning Numbers / Joey Greco's Cheaters: Real Or Fake?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.