Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes (1064 Views)

Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff / Amaechi Sets The Ball In Transport / How Jonathan Transformed The Refineries.... Setting The Record Straight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by gratiaeo(m): 2:06am On Oct 02, 2014
Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola appeared miffed Wednesday over the claims by the Federal authorities of containing the spread of Ebola in the sprawling metropolis of 20 million people.

Without mentioning names and leaving little doubt about whom his arrows were pointed, Fashola in his valedictory October 1 speech, said he had heard stories emanating from campaign podiums with claims of conquering Ebola

“The question we must ask is whether those who make these claims saw Ebola?”, the governor asked and went on to attribute the achievement to ‘heroic health workers’.

“Because of their service and heroism, we were able to declare Lagos State Ebola-free on the 18th of September, 2014…

“It is women like Stella Ameyo Adedevoh to whom such a claim rightly belongs.

“It is young Nigerians like Dr. Morris Ibeawuchi, who first made contact with the index case patient and continued to treat him who saw and conquered Ebola. He got infected, from doing his job, got sick, survived and is back to his job.

“It is first responders from the Lagos State Ministry of Health like Dr. Jide Idris, Dr. Yewande Adesina, Dr. Wale Ahmed, Dr. Kayode Oguntimehin who saw Ebola. They responded to the call from First Consultant Hospital. They spent 12 (Twelve) hours daily in the early days supervising the construction of Ebola containment facility when the epidemic broke. The Lagos State Infectious Disease Hospital which later became the epicenter of Ebola management used to house tuberculosis patients and patients with infectious diseases. Those patients vented their anger on these people when they had to be moved to create room for the Ebola centre. I know they spat at Dr. Adesina for doing her job.

“Dr. Abdul-Salam Nasidi of the National Disease Control Centre in Abuja saw and conquered Ebola. He helped in no small way to co-ordinate the containment.

“Dr. David Brett-Mayor of the World Health Organization saw and conquered Ebola. He single handedly started the Ebola isolation ward having cleared and cleaned the room. He admitted and cared for the patients before any Nigerian doctor joined him.

“Professor S. A. Omilabu, the dedicated virologist at LUTH, saw Ebola and conquered it. He coordinated the fault free testing for Ebola and managed all the samples professionally.

“Peter Adewuyi saw Ebola and conquered it. He led the contact tracing team of many dedicated officers for the first 2 (two) weeks.

“Mrs. Funmi Lagbokun, Mrs. Modupe Aiyedun Davies, Mrs. Basirat Adeoye, Ms F. O. Bamgboye, Mrs. K. O. Oshisanya, Mrs. Kazeem Abioye, Mrs. Abiola Lasaki and Mrs. K. Adeshina all saw and conquered Ebola.

“They were the dedicated team of nurses, nursing aid, care giver, health assistant and hygienist who commenced work voluntarily in the Ebola containment ward without any demand other than the sense of duty.

“Yemi Gbadegesin and Abdulsalam saw and conquered Ebola.

“They coordinated the de-contamination, removal and burial of the index case and other cases, and it is because of them that First Consultant can re-open for business.

“Dear Lagosians, these were the people who saw and defeated Ebola. Let no person tell you otherwise.

“These men and women, who showed courage, who risked their lives are our true champions and heroes.

“They showed the spirit of service, the spirit of Lagos and the spirit of our “good old days”.

“Nobody should take this credit away from them.

“They are not celebrating because they know that the work is not finished. They are already working with our people and planning to volunteer to go and give help in Sierra Leone and Liberia.

“Their reward for hard work will be more work and they tell me that they are ready.

“You and I also know that Dr. Adaora Igonoh, Dr. Akinniyi Fadipe, Mr. Dennis Echelonu and Mrs. Kelechi Enemuo also saw Ebola and conquered it.

“They are the survivors whose stories you have read about. Whose anxiety we saw live, when they agreed to visit me in the office at the risk of stigmatization.

“At great personal discomfort, they stepped out and forward, to help you and I find our feet. To re-assure us that all was well.

“They saw and conquered Ebola.

“Businesses like First Consultant Hospital, and hotels that have suffered cancellations and yet have not laid off their staff are the heroes of our Ebola experience, and we all must rally round them in the spirit of Lagos to help them get back on their feet.

“Words will never be enough but bringing back those values they represent, will. This is the spirit that used to course through our veins; the spirit that made us the great nation that we are. And we can bring that spirit back. By changing our thinking.”

Fashola also used the occasion to rouse the patriotic zeal in Lagosians, urging them to ‘imbibe the Lagos spirit’

“How can you serve your country? I say, take the spirit of Lagos everywhere you go. From Badagry to Bayelsa; from Shomolu to Sokoto; from Epe to Ebonyi; Alimosho to Adamawa; from Lekki to Lafia; From Ikeja to Ijebu-Ode, all of us, Nigerians all should serve our country by changing our thinking and striving to give our best for collective benefit.

“By making a conscious determination to changing the way we act. We can serve our country by doing something good and positive in our homes, in our schools and in our communities.

“It doesn’t matter how little it is. Together it makes a whole. We can serve our country by pledging in our hearts to restore, share and protect our communities, our States and our nation.

He disclosed that in the weeks and months ahead, Lagos will begin to celebrate ordinary Nigerians doing extra-ordinary things.

“And on a dedicated day in the near future we will come together to celebrate and honour our heroes, and hold them up as shining examples. Heroes recognised and chosen by you and I for the things they are doing for the benefit of others and the society at large without expectation of reward.

“Let the arm bands you are wearing be a constant reminder to change your thinking. We will distribute wrist bands all over Lagos and beyond. Wear them with pride but more importantly, let them remind you to act with integrity.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/10/02/fashola-sets-the-record-straight-on-ebola-heroes/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by FastShipping: 2:08am On Oct 02, 2014
Well said Governor............

It is a disgrace for anyone (Jonathan and PDP faithfuls) to claim credit for the success against the spread of Ebola in Nigeria. Ebola came to Lagos and was curtailed in Lagos. Good job by the Governor, commissioner for Health in Lagos and the medical team in Lagos.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by Sijo01(f): 2:23am On Oct 02, 2014
I seriously wondered why Mr. President in his speech did not acknowledged the roles Lagos state played in containing the EVD.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by niggereyez(f): 2:25am On Oct 02, 2014
just wat I've been waiting to hear. ... not the cra.p FG and minister for health hav been spewing. .. mtcheeew.
u don't contain ebola by sitting in ur air conditioned office and daily dishing out number of confirmed cases, quarantined cases, surveillance cases... (yea protocol demands)... but credit shld first be given to these brave men and women who did the ground/real work.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by Wristler: 2:25am On Oct 02, 2014
Fashola is just not in the league of these clueless mofos and their supporters

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by 2cato: 3:11am On Oct 02, 2014
trash as usual which is only fit for dusbing.
Without the facilities of the FG (medical compound yaba near railway market) would he have conqured it? Dont forget most of those people quarantine were done in a federal govt facilities and most of the doctors mention are of the federal level. What about the N200million given to him, oh may be it is for him to keep in his personal account.
Politics of hatred, pulling down and jelousy will do us no good.

9 Likes

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by davo3286: 3:32am On Oct 02, 2014
Fashola, where is your common sense!? Oh, sorry, I remember...common sense they say is not common. Without the FG, Fashola would still be running from pillar to post by now on account of Ebola.

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by Sibabasibaba1: 3:34am On Oct 02, 2014
Fashola, to my mind, is the one playing politics here. The President talked about how united Nigerians were in tackling ebola, eschewing party politics. Fashola is here trying to score cheap political points. He talked about LUTH and National Centre for Disease Control, Abuja. Are those Lagos State owned institutions? The daily briefings of the Minister of Health on ebola helped in reassuring Nigerians. Coordinated timely information provision in times of emergency is one of the ways epidemics are contained and the Minister did well in that.

It was the FG that traced the nurse who escaped to Enugu, it was also the FG that moved to PH to help contain the virus there.

Noone person can take the glory of containing ebola. It was contained through concerted efforts. And I dont think the FG has claimed it contained Ebola without other heroes.

For Fashola to begin to insinuate that smacks of gross irresponsibility.

12 Likes

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by Sunnybobo3(m): 3:40am On Oct 02, 2014
Sibabasibaba1: Fashola, to my mind, is the one playing politics here. The President talked about how united Nigerians were in tackling ebola, eschewing party politics. Fashola is here trying to score cheap political points. He talked about LUTH and National Centre for Disease Control, Abuja. Are those Lagos State owned institutions? The daily briefings of the Minister of Health on ebola helped in reassuring Nigerians. Coordinated timely information provision in times of emergency is one of the ways epidemics are contained and the Minister did well in that.

It was the FG that traced the nurse who escaped to Enugu, it was also the FG that moved to PH to help contain the virus there.

Noone person can take the glory of containing ebola. It was contained through concerted efforts. And I dont think the FG has claimed it contained Ebola without other heroes.

For Fashola to begin to insinuate that smacks of gross irresponsibility.

Apt, very apt.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by arresa: 3:50am On Oct 02, 2014
Sijo01: I seriously wondered why Mr. President in his speech did not acknowledged the roles Lagos state played in containing the EVD.

We all know why...
Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by Justcash(m): 3:55am On Oct 02, 2014
Political maliciousness is a bane to the development of Nigeria.

WE MUST KNOW WHERE POLITICS STARTS AND STOPS!

IF THIS EBOLA ISSUE BECOMES POLITICAL, THEN WE ARE FINISHED IN THIS COUNTRY O.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by whitecat1: 3:57am On Oct 02, 2014
You must have lost your mind!

Lagos state did NOT receive a penny from the federal govt to fight ebola, and he was NOT offered any help by Jonathan or federal minister either.

Lagos fought and conquered ebola alone. Fashola had said earlier that he was NOT given any money, and Chukwu, the federal of health said the money is for cars, so if you have evidence in contrary, we would love to see it.

You also missed where Fashola said it was a Lagos state infectious disease center that became epicenter of ebola removing the TB patients.

It's either you can't read or you are mischievous.
2cato: trash as usual which is only fit for dusbing.
Without the facilities of the FG (medical compound yaba near railway market) would he have conqured it? Dont forget most of those people quarantine were done in a federal govt facilities and most of the doctors mention are of the federal level. What about the N200million given to him, oh may be it is for him to keep in his personal account.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:03am On Oct 02, 2014
whitecat1: You must have lost your mind!

Lagos state did NOT receive a penny from the federal govt to fight ebola, and he was NOT offered any help by Jonathan or federal minister either.

Lagos fought and conquered ebola alone. Fashola had said earlier that he was NOT given any money, and Chukwu, the federal of health said the money is for cars, so if you have evidence in contrary, we would love to see it.

You also missed where Fashola said it was a Lagos health center that was used.

is luth a state hospital?

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by whitecat1: 4:10am On Oct 02, 2014
Is LUTH the Lagos state infectious disease control center?

If you want to play dumb, go ahead!
InyinyaAgbaOku:

is luth a state hospital?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by Nobody: 4:14am On Oct 02, 2014
54. I appreciate and welcome the spirit of collaboration, unity and partnership with which we confronted the threat of the Ebola Virus Disease. I thank all Nigerians for working together to prevent what could have become a major epidemic. I particularly thank the medical personnel, some of whom made the ultimate sacrifice.

Fashola is obviously the one playing politics here. Let's appreciate the peace that we have, the APC don't understand the destruction their politics of hate and bitterness brings.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by arresa: 4:18am On Oct 02, 2014

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, SAN (right) discussing with the World Health Organisation (WHO) Country representative in Nigeria, Dr. Rui Gama Vaz (left) during a courtesy call on the Governor to appreciate Lagos State Government efforts in containing the Ebola Virus Disease in the State at the Lagos House, Ikeja, on Thursday, September 11, 2014.

WHO Lauds Fashola On Ebola Fight

Global acknowledgement of the sterling leadership shown by the Lagos State Government and Governor Babatunde Fashola, SAN in the containment of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in the country came from no less a body than the World Health Organisation (WHO) on Thursday.
Speaking during a courtesy call on the Governor at the State House, Ikeja, the WHO Country Director, Dr Rui Vana Gaz said he and his team had come to transmit the compliment and high recognition of the top hierarchy of the WHO to the State Government for the excellent leadership the Governor provided in containing the Ebola Virus Disease.

He stated that the world body was happy with the way the State established the Isolation Ward with the necessary support and that the WHO also offered its support by deploying its staffs to support the Isolation Centre and supplying Personal Protective Equipments (PPEs) and resource mobilization.
While re-echoing the view of Governor Fashola at some of the meetings held on the EVD about some missed opportunities which aided the importation of the disease, Dr Gaz said Nigeria must avoid any form of complacency to ensure that there is no other case.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/09/12/who-lauds-fashola-on-ebola-fight/
Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by brainpower(m): 4:38am On Oct 02, 2014
I have always said we don't have an opposition in this country, what we have are political haters. I expected this kind of statement sooner from one of them. He is sectionalizing this country, ebola control was the collective effort of both state and FG. Outsiders don't see us as south, west, east or north, they see us as nigeria, they see us as one. And this is why every accolade must go to the FG. We are just playing politics with bitterness in this country, before you know it this ebola will be twisted by the opposition controlled media and Fashola has started it. He knows how much he will lose from internal revenue if he didn't work hard to stop the ebola, if not he would have been ordered by his Godfather not to do anything about the ebola afterall, it was a national epidemic and we know how unpatriotic they are. Starting from forcefully returning non-indegenes to sectionalizing this country by these statements, I think I can safely say that he doesn't believe in one Nigeria and this isn't the kind of people we want in the centre.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by Nobody: 4:39am On Oct 02, 2014
Well said....APC should prepare Fashola n Oshiomole for higher responsibilities.
Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by BOAR: 5:22am On Oct 02, 2014
A very brilliant and pragmatic speech by governor.

Putting names to the heroes of Ebola, those that risked everything to ensure we live our normal lives as Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by olodoowoh: 6:01am On Oct 02, 2014
Fashola just lost my respect with this childish proceeding.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by BOAR: 6:03am On Oct 02, 2014
olodoowoh: Fashola just lost my respect with this childish proceeding.

Lmao.

A nonentity like you?

Some of you carry this your online foolishness to the extreme aswearr! grin

Childish proceeding? What some of stvpid English is this? Hope you are not a university graduate?
Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by Nobody: 6:26am On Oct 02, 2014
A very brilliant and pragmatic speech by governor.

Putting names to the heroes of Ebola, those that risked everything to ensure we live our normal lives as Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:01am On Oct 02, 2014
whitecat1: Is LUTH the Lagos state infectious disease control center?

If you want to play dumb, go ahead!

but fashola mentioned luth and national infectious disease control centre

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by patrickmuf(m): 7:07am On Oct 02, 2014
2cato: trash as usual which is only fit for dusbing.
And when did the N200m get to the government of Lagos state?
No point twisting facts LASG played the lead role with support from the FG
Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by Tobbie9(m): 7:36am On Oct 02, 2014
brainpower: I have always said we don't have an opposition in this country, what we have are political haters. I expected this kind of statement sooner from one of them. He is sectionalizing this country, ebola control was the collective effort of both state and FG. Outsiders don't see us as south, west, east or north, they see us as nigeria, they see us as one. And this is why every accolade must go to the FG. We are just playing politics with bitterness in this country, before you know it this ebola will be twisted by the opposition controlled media and Fashola has started it. He knows how much he will lose from internal revenue if he didn't work hard to stop the ebola, if not he would have been ordered by his Godfather not to do anything about the ebola afterall, it was a national epidemic and we know how unpatriotic they are. Starting from forcefully returning non-indegenes to sectionalizing this country by these statements, I think I can safely say that he doesn't believe in one Nigeria and this isn't the kind of people we want in the centre.
and what has ur useless one Nigeria done 4 u?
Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by brainpower(m): 8:18am On Oct 02, 2014
Tobbie9: and what has ur useless one Nigeria done 4 u?

Truthfully my brother, I'm not an advocate of one Nigeria but since we are pretending to be one atleast we should try to make it work rather than taking actions and making statements that prove otherwise.

And please I am still wondering the logic or wisdom behind insulting anyone that doesn't agree with some people's point of view in nairaland. Isn't this why this place is called a forum? Can't we all contradict or support each other without insults? If anyone is frustrated and needs to vent anger, the best is to take an alone time and cool off. I believe there are threads here about how someone can calm their frustration. I don't such people serious.
Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by ojesymsym: 10:05am On Oct 02, 2014
God bless you Fashola.

He did not even claim glory for his government, instead focusing attention to the men and women who put their lives on the line. Calling them by name.
Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by Shine1177: 9:46pm On Oct 02, 2014
54. I appreciate and welcome the spirit of collaboration, unity and partnership with which we confronted the threat of the Ebola Virus Disease. I thank all Nigerians for working together to prevent what could have become a major epidemic. I particularly thank the medical personnel, some of whom made the ultimate sacrifice.

This man is lacking the spirit of unity. Simple.
Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by EdCure: 10:04pm On Oct 02, 2014
olodoowoh: Fashola just lost my respect with this childish proceeding.
How do you mean?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Sets The Record Straight On Ebola Heroes by Nobody: 10:21pm On Oct 02, 2014
Fashola's speech is more interesting than Jonathan's to be honest. Fashola's speech sounded like a maiden Presidential campaign speech.

But the truth is that Jonathan made a mistake not recognising the efforts of LAgos State Government while Fashola will be living in denial if he claims the Minister of Health and Information Minister did not also provide good leadership on Ebola. Information/awareness amongst all other efforts of the health minstry was key to defeating Ebola.

But Fashola's speech is what Jonathan should have given while also paying tributes to the work of the institutions and ministries.

Ebola victory should not divide us but unite us to go on achieve greater things!

Congrats to all Nigerians

(1) (Reply)

Military "Bombs" Used Against Boko Haram Costs $15,000 Each - CDS Badeh / The Crimes Of Buhari-wole Soyinka. / 'why I Came To Nigeria To Steal" - Ghanian Citizen Makes Shocking Confession!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.