Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) (1525 Views)

Ebola Virus Scare In Calabar / Ebola Scare: Policeman Flees After Mistaking Eboka For Ebola / Lagos Is Unusually Dry This Morning. Ebola Scare? (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by PerfectFortune: 10:32am On Oct 02, 2014
Some parents have temporarily removed their children from Dallas schools after learning that five students may have come into contact with the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S.
School administrators urged calm. None of the children have shown symptoms and are being monitored at home, where they will likely remain for three weeks, Dallas Independent School District Superintendent Mike Miles said Wednesday.

But Marcie Pardo and other parents left L.L. Hotchkiss Elementary indicating that they were taking no chances and would keep their children home for the rest of the week.

"Kids pretty much touch everything. Not everyone washes their hands," Pardo said. "It's the contagious part that gets me worried."

Ebola isn't contagious until symptoms appear, and then it can spread only by close contact with a patient's bodily fluids. Pardo said that knowledge makes her feel better, but that she still took her 8-year-old daughter, Soriah, home from school early, along with her cousin.

Tucked in a quiet neighborhood of tree-lined streets, Hotchkiss is one of four campuses in Dallas that Miles says the five students attended. He said the district is taking an "abundance of caution" and would add more health workers to keep watch for symptoms among students.

The district also planned to deploy more custodial workers to the campuses, which include another elementary school, two middle schools and a high school.

"The students didn't have any symptoms, so the odds of them passing on any sort of virus is very low," Miles said.

Ebola is believed to have sickened more than 7,100 people in West Africa, and more than 3,300 deaths have been linked to the disease, according to the World Health Organization. Symptoms can include fever, muscle pain, vomiting and bleeding, and can appear as long as 21 days after exposure to the virus.

Health officials say the five children are among 12 to 18 people being monitored after exposure to the man, who was listed in serious but stable condition at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

It was not exactly clear how the Ebola patient knew the children, but his sister said he had been visiting with family including two nephews. Officials have not revealed the ages of the children who had contact with the man.

Some parents have temporarily removed their children from Dallas schools after learning that five students may have come into contact with the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S.
School administrators urged calm. None of the children have shown symptoms and are being monitored at home, where they will likely remain for three weeks, Dallas Independent School District Superintendent Mike Miles said Wednesday.

But Marcie Pardo and other parents left L.L. Hotchkiss Elementary indicating that they were taking no chances and would keep their children home for the rest of the week.

"Kids pretty much touch everything. Not everyone washes their hands," Pardo said. "It's the contagious part that gets me worried."

Ebola isn't contagious until symptoms appear, and then it can spread only by close contact with a patient's bodily fluids. Pardo said that knowledge makes her feel better, but that she still took her 8-year-old daughter, Soriah, home from school early, along with her cousin.

Tucked in a quiet neighborhood of tree-lined streets, Hotchkiss is one of four campuses in Dallas that Miles says the five students attended. He said the district is taking an "abundance of caution" and would add more health workers to keep watch for symptoms among students.

The district also planned to deploy more custodial workers to the campuses, which include another elementary school, two middle schools and a high school.

"The students didn't have any symptoms, so the odds of them passing on any sort of virus is very low," Miles said.

Ebola is believed to have sickened more than 7,100 people in West Africa, and more than 3,300 deaths have been linked to the disease, according to the World Health Organization. Symptoms can include fever, muscle pain, vomiting and bleeding, and can appear as long as 21 days after exposure to the virus.

Health officials say the five children are among 12 to 18 people being monitored after exposure to the man, who was listed in serious but stable condition at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

It was not exactly clear how the Ebola patient knew the children, but his sister said he had been visiting with family including two nephews. Officials have not revealed the ages of the children who had contact with the man.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/parents-pulling-kids-out-dallas-elementary-school-over-ebola-fears

It is now clear that no be only Nigerians fear Ebola. Nobody wants to die I guess..

___

Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Onlinebizexpert(m): 10:53am On Oct 02, 2014
The will to survive in an average nigerian is stronger than any cure to ebola

The usa and its citizens should learn that from us

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 02, 2014
They were making jest of us before now they can see that 'khaki no be leather'.
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Bsmartt(m): 11:22am On Oct 02, 2014
Prevention is better than cure ooooooooooo. I trust the oyinbos. sharp sharp.
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by PerfectFortune: 11:25am On Oct 02, 2014
Am sure they will make enough Zmapp available now that the eventuality has happened.
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by GovWahala: 11:52am On Oct 02, 2014
Bsmartt: Prevention is better than cure ooooooooooo. I trust the oyinbos. sharp sharp.
My Abokki friends will say "Provision is better than Kiosk"
They thought it was just going to be an african issue.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by eagleonearth(m): 12:18pm On Oct 02, 2014
Maybe, this incident will jostle them (Americans) out of their comfort zone and force them to send help (Zmapp) to west Africa countries where the dreaded disease is on rampage...who knows?
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 02, 2014
Lol see fear fear grin cheesy
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by unikdamzel(f): 12:36pm On Oct 02, 2014
That, is just the begining. They've not seen anything yet!
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by stexsy(m): 12:36pm On Oct 02, 2014
fear...
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by kelitacliff(m): 12:39pm On Oct 02, 2014
could this be karma?
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Nobody: 12:48pm On Oct 02, 2014
Let them feel the wrath of what they created
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by brodalikeme(m): 12:51pm On Oct 02, 2014
Thought the were boosting about ZMapp, abi e no work again? Bitter kola, Nano silver, Salt bathing on my mind
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 02, 2014
Zedric: Let them feel the wrath of what they created

Ebola was not manufactured in any American lab.

Ebola is a virus....and it is not an effective one for that matter....it can be stopped with proper measures...as Uganda did over the last ten years.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by olempe(m): 12:54pm On Oct 02, 2014
INSTINCTS: They were making jest of us before now they can see that 'khaki no be leather'.
Gbabe!
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Nobody: 1:04pm On Oct 02, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Ebola was not manufactured in any American lab.

Ebola is a virus....and it is not an effective one for that matter....it can be stopped with proper measures...as Uganda did over the last ten years.
Yea, a virus that grew a virulent strain out of nowhere? All of a sudden, what our fore fathers ate to become strong turned to death traps. A virus suddenly grew out of nowhere, killing thousands and it appeared to be unstoppable because it had no cure but then 2 Americans were infected, a test drug was produced out of no where and when they got healed, guess what, news about the drug fizzled out, back to the pits of obscurity. And you are telling me this is natural
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 02, 2014
Zedric: Yea, a virus that grew a virulent strain out of nowhere? All of a sudden, what our fore fathers ate to become strong turned to death traps. A virus suddenly grew out of nowhere, killing thousands and it appeared to be unstoppable because it had no cure but then 2 Americans were infected, a test drug was produced out of no where and when they got healed, guess what, news about the drug fizzled out, back to the pits of obscurity. And you are telling me this is natural

1.Our forefathers also lived in isolated villages....so any viral outbreak would have been contained in said villages.

2.Ebola spreads fast because we do not have enough doctors and other medical staff, corruption has eaten the money spent for health care , and most of our hospitals are not equipped to isolate infected patients properly. And most of our people do not go to hospital on time...and practices such as washing the dead body of the patient are conducive to spread.And did I mention that many hsoptals in Liberia have no gloves and running water...and ambulances to transport patients are in short supply.

But people like you won't vote in leaders who would do the needful and bring in changes. No, everything, including your own mistakes, is the fault of others.No wonder Africa is underdeveloped.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by oluplus(m): 1:13pm On Oct 02, 2014
You guyz should just show some elements of sympathy. It's a deadly disease we are atalking about here. Do we really need to make a mockery of people, whose children are at the risk of verge of death?

Abeggy, take it easy on them.
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 02, 2014
bushdoc9919:

1.Our forefathers also lived in isolated villages....so any viral outbreak would have been contained in said villages.

2.Ebola spreads fast because we do not have enough doctors and other medical staff, corruption has eaten the money spent for health care , and most of our hospitals are not equipped to isolate infected patients properly. And most of our people do not go to hospital on time...and practices such as washing the dead body of the patient are conducive to spread.And did I mention that many [b)hsoptals[/b] in Liberia have no gloves and running water...and ambulances to transport patients are in short supply.

But people like you won't vote in leaders who would do the needful and bring in changes. No, everything, including your own mistakes, is the fault of others.No wonder Africa is underdeveloped.

1) I voiced my opinion without insulting any1 but u willingly "shuked" your mouth and you decided to insult me?
2) When did our forefathers stop living in isolated villages? 2013?
3) Good leaders? So China had bad leaders when SARS appeared out of the air to wreck havoc? Now you are complaining about bad leaders yet these bad leaders contained a deadly disease without the cure? What more do u want?

L
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 02, 2014
Zedric:

1) I voiced my opinion without insulting any1 but u willingly "shuked" your mouth and you decided to insult me?
2) When did our forefathers stop living in isolated villages? 2013?
3) Good leaders? So China had bad leaders when SARS appeared out of the air to wreck havoc? Now you are complaining about bad leaders yet these bad leaders contained a deadly disease without the cure? What more do u want?

L

Well, as a worker in the medical field, I don't appreciate flawed information about Ebola being spread.It makes it infinetly worse for us to fight it, you know. Hence my irritation with you.

And with that, I bid thee adieu.

P.S..Read this

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by 100Cents: 1:26pm On Oct 02, 2014
Moment you heard Ebola came to your school..

Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 02, 2014
kelitacliff: could this be karma?
may b u know she's a b¡itch grin
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 02, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Well, as a worker in the medical field, I don't appreciate flawed information about Ebola being spread.It makes it infinetly worse for us to fight it, you know. Hence my irritation with you.

And with that, I bid thee adieu.

P.S..Read this
Dude, u are a worker in the medical field? What are u? An auxiliary nurse?

I was referring to the skepticism I had about the source of this outbreak and u are talking about misinforming the public. Are we even on the same page?
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Grahamjnr(m): 1:31pm On Oct 02, 2014
We wish them success!
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 02, 2014
Zedric: Dude, u are a worker in the medical field? What are u? An auxiliary nurse?

I was referring to the skepticism I had about the source of this outbreak and u are talking about misinforming the public. Are we even on the same page?

If you have not guessed from my moniker...I am a doctor(typing this on break).
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by kelitacliff(m): 1:53pm On Oct 02, 2014
snowprince07: may b u know she's a b¡itch grin
grin
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 02, 2014
This guy na freelance teacher? Or he was just on ebola spreading spree?
Re: Ebola: Parents Pulling Kids Out Of Dallas Elementary School Over Scare(picture) by Holywizard: 3:51pm On Oct 02, 2014
Americans be like "CALL 911, Ebola is fucking our motherfucking kids!"

(1) (Reply)

Girl Born With Half Human-Half Chimpanzee Found Living In Nigeria / 10 Facts About Bacteria! / We Sell 100% Raw Cocoabutter, Sheabutter, African Black Soap & Mango Butter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.