Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,997 members, 7,806,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:35 AM

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? (25426 Views)

How To Eat Meat In Public? / Good Friday: Did You Eat Meat ? / Please Help Me, I Can't Eat Meat Anymore. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by omoadeleye(m): 8:20am On Oct 03, 2014
am trying to always eat my meat after my meal, but i don't know why every time i sighted any meat on my food, mehn, the meat is my target before meal
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by eazy07(m): 8:24am On Oct 03, 2014
i wil go with "reserving d best 4 d last"
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by raphy(m): 8:30am On Oct 03, 2014
d main reason i eat my meat after my meal is bcuz it will help me to digest some food that r hidin somewere in my throat and push it down to my stomach so i will be full.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 03, 2014
debosola: Hmmm! Because it kinda gives you something to look forward to during the meal. grin
God alone will bless ur lyf 4 dis comment

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 03, 2014
Why should i eat the meat 1st?So that people will come and say that i'm too poor to put meat on my table abi (expecially if you dey for resturant)....Leave am for der..I won feel lyk a big boi till d food finish

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by tusticks(m): 8:48am On Oct 03, 2014
D meat searvs as an encouragment on ur meal, once d meat is gone, d meal is over

Abi naa lie?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by leftone: 8:52am On Oct 03, 2014
motivation to finish the food...chikena.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by patwilly(m): 8:59am On Oct 03, 2014
unless you are a Tiv man, I see no reason why not.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by lalasticlala(m): 9:03am On Oct 03, 2014
bloglover: Meat is the main reason why am eating the rice in the first place. once the meat is eaten, my appetite is lost! shikena
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by deavicky(m): 9:07am On Oct 03, 2014
If my girlfriend cook soup for u, u will be left no choice than eating the meat first.if not the meats will be an obstacle to u and the soup.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by jimjones: 9:16am On Oct 03, 2014
Like someone already suggested, it may have something to do with the way most of us were raised. I was raised seeing meat as the prize. Like some kids, I hated food growing up, so meat was supposed to be the prize I got for making an acceptable attempt at finishing the food. My mother would lure me in by offering me a nice little piece, and then a nice huge chunk will be dangled -- parts of which will be offered in direct proportionality to the amount of food consumed. Finish the food, you get all the meat! Soon as I figured out my mother's evil plan, I threw a spanner in it. It was fuсk meat from then on. To this day, I couldn't care any less for meat even if I tried. cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Johnnoo(m): 9:25am On Oct 03, 2014
gen2briz: Try and eat meat before you finish food for my mummy face, Hummmm you go hear am. For me, na upbringing.

Man I share ur view. Try it infront of my late Mum, a "flavoured" spanking will be next undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by rabzy: 9:26am On Oct 03, 2014
Phoenixfrank: I think its one of those cultural imperialistic stuffs the white men used to do and so our people acculturated it. Personally I think the meat in the food has become a rationality of one's status symbol whether eaten after or before meal. Eaten last or first all depends ur cultural background.

What has white people got to do with this, don't we have the way we eat before the white men came. How many of our ancestors had direct interaction with white people that would now make the practice so pervasive. Mind you there are some native proverbs that discredits children's desire for meat as morally wrong and indicates greed.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 03, 2014
debosola: Hmmm! Because it kinda gives you something to look forward to during the meal. grin

Exactly. It keeps cheering you up to finish everything. Ha-ha. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by delishpot: 9:32am On Oct 03, 2014
Well as kids, once we eat meat, we have finished eating be that o. Na only cane go make us continue with the left over meal. So to make us eat more, parents would not let us eat the meat Until they have decided that we have eaten enough of thr main dish. So, if they say you can eat your meat now, that means you are free to leave the rest of the food. I for one use meat or fish to eat. I do not save my meat for last. If no meat I wont eat cos I take a bite of meat with each spoon full of food.
Back to your question. Its because right from the start, kids were made to eat meat last so as adults they just do it on instinct.
Most people who do it, dont get inspired to eat food without meat. The presence of meat makes them eat well. And it was so when they were kids. So parents used the meat as bait. When you finish eating, I will give you meat.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by lekemon(m): 9:41am On Oct 03, 2014
Talk about saving the best steps for the last dance.lol. It's a case of social-psychology.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Princecharmin(m): 9:48am On Oct 03, 2014
Depends on d size of d meat o..... grin if d meat no get bone, i dey swallow am shaperly ni o.....i no like make meat dey look me 4 eyes angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 03, 2014
It has something to do with ur background and growing up,some rich kids hardly eat the meal but the meat first because the meat is more than d meal.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by dasoul(m): 9:55am On Oct 03, 2014
SmooshCHN: Saving the best for the last. If not I won't be encouraged to finish the Rice. But one day I mistakenly swallowed the Meat before even getting anywhere. It still hurts. cry cry cry

Na so the meat small?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by zzybaby: 9:56am On Oct 03, 2014
For me when I eat meat before the food, I won't have the appartite of the food again...... Food 1st before the meat......
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by sodique20(m): 9:57am On Oct 03, 2014
Ont ne fait pas ça chez nous
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Princecharmin(m): 9:58am On Oct 03, 2014
sodique20: Ont ne fait pas ça chez nous
who b dis one
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Princecharmin(m): 9:59am On Oct 03, 2014
sodique20: Ont ne fait pas ça chez nous
who b dis one vous es vous savon de la'prochaine fois grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 03, 2014
Gbam.Especially when u have only one meat in d food.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Sarimah(f): 10:06am On Oct 03, 2014
It enhance my appetite smiley
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Xandidamsel(f): 10:07am On Oct 03, 2014
SmooshCHN: Saving the best for the last. If not I won't be encouraged to finish the Rice. But one day I mistakenly swallowed the Meat before even getting anywhere. It still hurts. cry cry cry
vewi funny....still hurts till nw?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by fairygeh(f): 10:27am On Oct 03, 2014
bloglover: Meat is the main reason why am eating the rice in the first place. once the meat is eaten, my appetite is lost! shikena
I am telling you,truth be told I can't eat without meat grin especially turkey
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 03, 2014
datalossvictim1: I always eat my protein first. Well I don't finish it at once but I start with it.
Use dz one 4 Sallah

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by oluwasegun007(m): 10:28am On Oct 03, 2014
It is only applicable to small & low income earners....when you earn big you eat big, eating meat with the food is 'mostly' common with the rich folks....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by maxisfield(f): 10:37am On Oct 03, 2014
Cos dt meat is d reason y am eatin d food..if I eat d meat first den I wnt finish d food grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by debosola(f): 10:42am On Oct 03, 2014
Benstino:
Gbam.Especially when u have only one meat in d food.

Like seriously
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by kennie17(m): 10:46am On Oct 03, 2014
Some believe a covetous child eat their meat while eating the main meal,cultural influence and upbringing are the factors to it,but I see no offence in eating the meat between meals

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Make Ofe Owerri (Pictures) / Kunu - Tell Me Everything You Know About It / Naira To Sell At N415/$ As CBN Sustains Intervention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.