Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

A Letter To Atheists In Pics - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Letter To Atheists In Pics (7323 Views)

The Best Of The Atheists In Nairaland So Far / Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Trailblazer1(m): 9:50pm On Oct 02, 2014
What if you were wrong?
What do you stand to lose if you believed in God and in His son Jesus Christ?

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Trailblazer1(m): 10:20pm On Oct 02, 2014
The consequences could be severe

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Trailblazer1(m): 10:38pm On Oct 02, 2014
5 Famous Christian Converts: Bob Marley, Moby, Bettie Page, More
By Alecia MacKenzie
September 18, 2013 | 5:09 pm
Reggae superstar Bob Marley is said to have denounced Rastafarianism and embraced Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior before his death, putting him alongside other notable famous figures like Bettie Page, Brian "Head" Welch and Bob Dylan who have converted to Christianity.

Bob Marley - (1945-1981)
Bob Marley in an undated photo. Bob Marley Day is being celebrated on what would have been the artist's 68th birthday, Feb. 6. 2013.
Jamaica's Robert Nesta Marley is credited with carrying Reggae music worldwide, and he was also known for being an avid Rastafarian, which meant he revered Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie I as the messiah. According to Abuna Yesehaq, archbishop of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church in the Western Hemisphere who died in 2005, Marley was baptized a year before dying from malignant melanoma.

Bob Dylan - (b. 1941)
Famed rocker Bob Dylan performs at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles in this file photo, May 5, 2004.
Robert Allen Zimmerman, otherwise known as iconic musician Bob Dylan, became a born-again Christian in the late '70s and released two gospel albums — "Slow Train Coming" and "Saved." Dylan's conversion to Christianity was reportedly so unpopular that John Lennon recorded a track called "Serve" Yourself to Dylan's Grammy Award-winning evangelical hit "Gotta Serve Somebody." In 2012, after years of speculation over his faith, Dylan reportedly confirmed that he still believes in Jesus.

Bettie Page - (1923-2008)
Pin-up queen Bettie Page.
Bettie Mae Page, iconic pin-up girl born in Nashville, Tenn., was described in a 2006 Los Angeles Times report as a "born-again Christian" who had "immersed herself in Bible studies and served as a counselor for the Billy Graham Crusade." Page, who launched her modeling career after getting married in 1943, converted to evangelical Christianity in 1959 and it is believed that her new-found faith led to her departure from the modeling world and her former life.

Brian "Head" Welch - (b. 1970)
Former Korn guitarist Brian "Head" Welch giving his testimony about a drug-fueled life before coming to Christ and subsequently quitting drugs and the band in an I Am Second video.
Brian Phillip Welch, Korn co-founder and guitarist, openly declared through his management in 2005 that he was leaving the metal band because he had "chosen the Lord Jesus Christ as his savior, and will be dedicating his musical pursuits to that end." Welch cited his young daughter as another reason for wanting to leave the drug- and sex-fueled environment the band fostered. In 2012 Welch shared his testimony with the I Am Second campaign.

Moby - (b. 1965)
Pop musician Moby is seen in this 2009 file photo.
Pop singer Moby, born Richard Melville Hall, has sold more than 20 million albums worldwide and has done work with artists like The Smashing Pumpkins, Michael Jackson, Daft Punk, Britney Spears and many others. In a 2003 interview Moby said it was when he read the New Testament of the Bible in 1985 that he was "struck by the idea that Christ was somehow divine." He also shared in other interviews that he "loves Christ" and "perceives Christ to be God." He also has expressed hesitation about calling himself a "Christian," that he was "wary of orthodoxy" and distanced himself from "fundamentalism.
Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by davien(m): 10:41pm On Oct 02, 2014
hmmmm....

8 Likes

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by davien(m): 10:50pm On Oct 02, 2014
lol...... smiley

4 Likes

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Trailblazer1(m): 10:51pm On Oct 02, 2014
C.S. Lewis and Josh McDowell
Thomas Cook writes:

Hi guys,

This is going to be a pretty dumb question. But... Was CS Lewis ever an atheist? I was just briefly watching a show about him, and I thought the show hinted that he was an atheist.

I looked on the net, but I only found pro Christian stuff.

Thanks,

Thomas

ED BABINSKI: There are Christians who consider themselves "former atheists," but certainly not "famous ones," aside from Madelyn Murray O'Hair's son, Bill, who converted to Christianity while an adult alcoholic. But he was merely famous for being the subject of her lawsuit to remove prayer from the schools, and he was quite young and immature of mind when he was "famous." Aside from him there are no famous atheists I can think of who have later converted to Christianity, certainly not after having penned some impressive atheist books, or been atheist leaders. While there ARE a few famous Christians, like Charles Templeton who was one of the most impressive preachers in all of North America, had the biggest Youth for Christ group, preached on alternative nights in Europe with Billy Graham during the Youth for Christ crusades in Europe, and even was chosen by the U.S. Council of Churches to represent them, the first official "Evangelist for the U.S. Council of Churches," and had his own religious TV show in the 1950s, "Look Up and Live," who later "walked away from God," and who wrote a book about why he did so.

Lewis, like Josh McDowell, became "famous Christians," but were never "famous atheists," and in fact they didn't begin to speak of themselves and firmly picture themselves as "former atheists" until they became Christians. But for all of their "former atheism," neither Lewis, like McDowell, wrote anything noteworthy on the subject prior to becoming a Christian. I seem to recall in Lewis' autobiography, SURPRISED BY JOY, that he had been raised Anglican, and, quote, "decided to rejoin the church" during a trip to the zoo. Lewis apparently had no firm or well thought out beliefs of his own until he became attracted to Hegalianism in college, a type of theistic philosophy. Then still later he read Chesterton's THE EVERLASTING MAN which is the book that Lewis credited with making him consider the historical truth of Christianity, probably since Chesterton's theme is to try and prove that in this one stance, "myth became reality," and Lewis was a huge student of mythology, he loved myths before he ever loved the Gospels. Till his dying day, when asked to suggest books on why to become a Christian, Lewis wrote letters back to people suggesting they read Chesteron's book. Lewis even stole and expanded upon Chesterton's own "Liar, Lunatic, or Lord" argument. But in the end, neither Lewis nor Chesterton were aware of Biblical scholarship in anything but the most cursory Sunday School sense. They both loved myths and stories though.

Lewis also wrote a novelistic version of his religious journey, Lewis' earliest semi-autobiographical Christian work, titled, THE PILGRIM'S REGRESS, an updated version of Bunyan's Christian classic, THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS. I don't believe Lewis pictured himself as an "atheist" in that book, but as a sort of Everyman, as Bunyan also pictured his main character. Though the main character in Lewis' novel did meet and chat with "Mr. Atheist," I believe.

"Now that I am a Christian I do have moods in which the whole thing looks very improbable."

-- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Great admission, though Lewis then went on to add, "...but when I was an atheist I had moods in which Christianity looked terribly probable. This rebellion of your moods against your real self is going to come anyway. That is why Faith is such a necessary virtue: unless you teach your moods where they get off, you can never be either a sound Christian or even a sound atheist, but just a creature dithering to and fro, with its beliefs really dependent on the weather and the state of its digestion. Consequently one must train the habit of Faith."
Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Trailblazer1(m): 10:56pm On Oct 02, 2014
I have a question for you.

What do you stand to lose if you believe in GOD?
Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by davien(m): 11:01pm On Oct 02, 2014
Trailblazer1: I have a question for you.

What do you stand to lose if you believe in GOD?
Is this a hint?

1 Like

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Trailblazer1(m): 11:17pm On Oct 02, 2014
The Message that points to Christ on the Cross seems like sheer silliness to those hellbent on destruction, but for those on the way of salvation it makes perfect sense. This is the way God works, and most powerfully as it turns out. It's written,
I'll turn conventional wisdom on its head, I'll expose so-called experts as crackpots. So where can you find someone truly wise, truly educated, truly intelligent in this day and age? Hasn't God exposed it all as pretentious nonsense? Since the world in all its fancy wisdom never had a clue when it came to knowing God, God in his wisdom took delight in using what the world considered dumb—preaching, of all things!—to bring those who trust him into the way of salvation.
Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by That2: 11:20pm On Oct 02, 2014

7 Likes

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Trailblazer1(m): 11:24pm On Oct 02, 2014
While Jews clamor for miraculous demonstrations and Greeks go in for philosophical wisdom, we go right on proclaiming Christ, the Crucified. Jews treat this like an anti-miracle—and Greeks pass it off as absurd. But to us who are personally called by God himself—both Jews and Greeks—Christ is God's ultimate miracle and wisdom all wrapped up in one. Human wisdom is so tinny, so impotent, next to the seeming absurdity of God. Human strength can't begin to compete with God's "weakness."
Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Trailblazer1(m): 11:29pm On Oct 02, 2014
Just a very simple question.

What do you stand to lose if you believe in GOD.

I demand an answer please.

1 Like

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by davien(m): 11:33pm On Oct 02, 2014
Trailblazer1: The Message that points to Christ on the Cross seems like sheer silliness to those hellbent on destruction, but for those on the way of salvation it makes perfect sense. This is the way God works, and most powerfully as it turns out. It's written,
I'll turn conventional wisdom on its head, I'll expose so-called experts as crackpots. So where can you find someone truly wise, truly educated, truly intelligent in this day and age? Hasn't God exposed it all as pretentious nonsense? Since the world in all its fancy wisdom never had a clue when it came to knowing God, God in his wisdom took delight in using what the world considered dumb—preaching, of all things!—to bring those who trust him into the way of salvation.
hmmmmm....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by oluwalfa: 11:45pm On Oct 02, 2014
Trailblazer1: Just a very simple question.

my sanity.

4 Likes

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 02, 2014

Let me show you what YOU stand to lose if you chose the wrong god

5 Likes

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by davien(m): 12:06am On Oct 03, 2014

What i lose by believing "god?"
IF YOU REFER TO YOUR "god" THEN;

1.Give 10% my income

2.Give in to authority...through "faith men" and be easily conned...

3.Demote women...as "inferior beings"

4.When you base reality on the imaginary....you become more manipulative and have to believe anything absurd to back up the belief i.e Creationism...

5.Live by racist standards i.e Demoting people on sexual preference,ethnicity etc...

6.Have to teach children to not be inquisitive and lie to them...

7.Have to force a view against abortion rights and gay rights based on baseless toilet paper...

8.Have to threaten people with "hell" and "faith" because the myth does not go by its own merits and have to be believed by "faith" ....

9.Have to teach children imaginary do's and don'ts about masturbati0n....and other subjects best left to personal wishes...

10.Stand to lose sanity by believing two members of a species can re-populate that species without losing vigour and without genetic defects and believe in a world wide flood...

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF REASONS...

2 Likes

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by davien(m): 12:48am On Oct 03, 2014
Teach the controversy!...

1 Like

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by UyiIredia(m): 2:18am On Oct 03, 2014
Fear and Trembling *while playing 'Story Of The Gods'* I don't joke with my memories. I already knew the stupidity of atheists, gays and lesbians before surfing the net. Some of you are HOPELESS cases.

2 Likes

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by davien(m): 2:31am On Oct 03, 2014
UyiIredia: Fear and Trembling *while playing 'Story Of The Gods'* I don't joke with my memories. I already knew the stupidity of atheists, gays and lesbians before surfing the net. Some of you are HOPELESS cases.

2 Likes

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by davien(m): 2:56am On Oct 03, 2014
grin

2 Likes

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Nobody: 5:08am On Oct 03, 2014
In theory and logically every human being is potentially an atheist voluntarily or involuntarily. In fact, we are all born atheists but we just imbibe the religion we are born into. If you worship Yahweh as a Christian and it turns out that the Hindu God is the real God, then you are an atheist because you did not believe in God.

If you are a follower of Christ and it turns out that the African Gods of Ogun, Sango, Amadioha etc are the Gods of Africans, then you are an atheist. The permutations are too many to contemplate. The list is endless because you have to be really lucky to know and pick the right God. Everyone thinketh his God is the real God but no one knows for sure. It is all a leap of faith!

Christians are atheistic in their attitude toward, Allah, Osun, Ogun, Sango, ogwugwu, Amadioha, Olokun, Shinto, Budha, Zeus, Poseidon, Lakshmi, Vishnu, Cheonjiwang, Na Tuk Kong, Achamán, Huixtocihuatl and thousands of other historic gods.

This possibility prompted Stephen Robert to say: “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by wiegraf: 5:33am On Oct 03, 2014
Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Nobody: 5:43am On Oct 03, 2014
wiegraf: https://www.nairaland.com/1319401/meme-zone-atheists-lets-unwind
Guess all our 'work' is beginning to pay off. There might be hope afterall.
Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by wiegraf: 7:42am On Oct 03, 2014
musKeeto:
Guess all our 'work' is beginning to pay off. There might be hope afterall.

Maybe even inadvertently, but slowly but surely. A balance is inevitable. There will always be religious, but there should be a hell of a lot more skeptics than what's currently available.

You can fool some of the people all of the time.....

Yours is particularly good 'work' btw

5 Likes

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Trailblazer1(m): 9:28am On Oct 03, 2014
oluwalfa:

my sanity.

Just your sanity?
Then you really have nothing to lose.

What if you are wrong at the end?
What will be the consequence?
Have you ever imagined that?
Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by oluwalfa: 9:48am On Oct 03, 2014
Trailblazer1:

Just your sanity?
Then you really have nothing to lose.

What if you are wrong at the end?
What will be the consequence?
Have you ever imagined that?

What if you are wrong at the end and Satan is the true Master and all godly people suffer for eternity?

7 Likes

Re: A Letter To Atheists In Pics by Trailblazer1(m): 9:55am On Oct 03, 2014
davien: What i lose by believing "god?"
IF YOU REFER TO YOUR "god" THEN;

1.Give 10% my income

2.Give in to authority...through "faith men" and be easily conned...

3.Demote women...as "inferior beings"

4.When you base reality on the imaginary....you become more manipulative and have to believe anything absurd to back up the belief i.e Creationism...

5.Live by racist standards i.e Demoting people on sexual preference,ethnicity etc...

6.Have to teach children to not be inquisitive and lie to them...

7.Have to force a view against abortion rights and gay rights based on baseless toilet paper...

8.Have to threaten people with "hell" and "faith" because the myth does not go by its own merits and have to be believed by "faith" ....

9.Have to teach children imaginary do's and don'ts about masturbati0n....and other subjects best left to personal wishes...

10.Stand to lose sanity by believing two members of a species can re-populate that species without losing vigour and without genetic defects and believe in a world wide flood...

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF REASONS...

Your reasons seems plausible from my perspective. Nevertheless, cannot be compared to what your stand to lose nor its consequences..................If you are wrong at the day of reckoning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Do Atheists Address The Question Of Human Existence? / Christ Restoration Bible Church International Celebrates 10th Anniversary In FCT / What Would You Say To This Precious Woman, The Holy Mother Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.