Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:15 AM

N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor (11898 Views)

Arms Scandal: Jonathan Still Owing Me N180m –Anenih / N13 Billion Fraud: Court Orders Immediate Arrest Of Niger Delta Militant Tompolo / Alleged 19.2bn Fraud: Court Dismisses Charge Against Sylva (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by ayindejimmy(m): 3:45am On Oct 03, 2014
N180M Fraud: Court frees Ogbulaforon October 03, 2014 at 3:20 am
Reprieve came the way of erstwhile chairman of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Prince Vincent Ogbulafor, yesterday as an Abuja High Court in Maitama discharged and acquitted him from the 17-count criminal charge preferred against him by Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC.
In his judgment, Justice Ishaq Bello held that the anti-graft agency failed to establish its allegation that the former PDP boss, while in office as the Minister for Special Duties in 2001, used three fake companies ýto divert funds from the coffers of Federal Government to the tune of about N180 million.
However, the court relied on a confessional statement made before ICPC by the 2nd accused person in the matter, Mr. Emeka Ebilah, and sentenced him to five years imprisonment without an option of fine.
Ebilah, who was a member of the National Economic Intelligence Committee, NEIC, which was set up by the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo to verify debts owed local contractors, had confessed before ICPC that he supervised the illegal diversion of funds to the three bogus companies which he said was partly owned by the ex-PDP chairman.
While under interrogation, he confessed that Ogbulafor, through one Mr. Chris Nwoke, collected kickbacks of N2 million and N28 million from him to facilitate the release of funds to the said fake companies.
He further admitted that the fake companies, Henrichiko Nig Ltd, DHL Consultants and Chekwas Industries, used forged documents to collect N82.6 million, N11.5 million and N6.2 million, respectively, from Federal Governmentý for executing non-existent contracts.
Nevertheless, while on trial, the 2nd accused, Ebilah, denied the confessional statement, insisting that one Bassey Mohammed, an operative of ICPC, compelled him at gunpoint to indict Ogbulafor.
Though Ogbulafor who testified for himself, told the court that he was the one that nominated Ebilah into the NEIC, he, however, denied receiving any money from him as kickback.
Ogbulafor told the court that the 2nd accused person only gave him N2 million as a donation for his campaign activities, stressing that he had already resigned his ministerial position at that time.
In his judgment, Justice Bello held that there was no evidence indicating that Ogbulafor at any material time, had a relationship with any of the three companies involved in the fraud or acted as a director in any of them.
The judge also noted that the 1st accused was never a member of NEIC nor participated in the verification of contracts, “and there is no evidence whatsoever to prove that the 1st accused removed money whatsoever from any of the companies.”
He described the allegation that Ogbulafor collected kickbacks through one Mr. Nwoke as “hearsay evidence,” adding that ICPC failed to establish a link between the 1st accused and the charge.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/10/n180m-fraud-court-frees-ogbulafor/
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by ayindejimmy(m): 4:00am On Oct 03, 2014
However, the court relied on a confessional statement made before ICPC by the 2nd accused person in the matter, Mr. Emeka Ebilah, and sentenced him to five years imprisonment without an option of fine

While under interrogation, he confessed that Ogbulafor, through one Mr. Chris Nwoke, collected kickbacks of N2 million and N28 million from him to facilitate the release of funds to the said fake companies.
He further admitted that the fake companies, Henrichiko Nig Ltd, DHL Consultants and Chekwas Industries, used forged documents to collect N82.6 million, N11.5 million and N6.2 million, respectively, from Federal Governmentý for executing non-existent contracts

Nevertheless, while on trial, the 2nd accused, Ebilah, denied the confessional statement, insisting that one Bassey Mohammed, an operative of ICPC, compelled him at gunpoint to indict Ogbulafor.
Though Ogbulafor who testified for himself, told the court that he was the one that nominated Ebilah into the NEIC, he, however, denied receiving any money from him as kickback.
Ogbulafor told the court that the 2nd accused person only gave him N2 million as a donation for his campaign activities, stressing that he had already resigned his ministerial position at that time.

*Now u catch em, now u dnt*
I'm goin back to bed. When the FG is comited to fightin CORUPTION as CORUPTION is comited to fightin us, some1 shuld wake me up. But till then ...I'm singin Chris-boi's ' *Dnt wake me uuuup...nah yea!*

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by otijah(m): 4:12am On Oct 03, 2014
#182,000,000 fraud with the highest level of crime and was sentenced to ordinary 5 years imprisonment grin. I have said it am coming back in my next world as an african but surely nt from nigeria
@op na u post topic na you be first to comment. Shebi na only u waka come, greedy man grin

11 Likes

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by sunnyphem(m): 4:12am On Oct 03, 2014
K
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by korel9: 4:12am On Oct 03, 2014
This is only news if you tell us he's been convicted of all charges and not this. undecided

1 Like

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by MadCow1: 4:13am On Oct 03, 2014
All criminals in Nigeria should invest in good lawyers...

Don't blame the judiciary or the office of the attorney general or whoever the agency it was that was handling the case.. Chances are, their entire budget for the year no reach 180 Million Naira.

Fighting corruption is expensive and that is why I give props to Nuhu Ribadu who was able to make lemons from lemonade.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by InwehAkpevwe(m): 4:14am On Oct 03, 2014
We need legal reform - so even with 17 charges he was later fred? God abeg helP us o

9 Likes

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by dannie007(m): 4:15am On Oct 03, 2014
uhhhmmmm!
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by LMAyedun(m): 4:15am On Oct 03, 2014
Remember, Only poor men go to jail here in Nigeria

Next news plss!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by debosola(f): 4:15am On Oct 03, 2014
Show me a Corruption-free Politician and I'd take you to a Virgin-Prostitute. Naija I hail thee.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by jeffizy(m): 4:15am On Oct 03, 2014
Only the weak get flattened.
Well, the court has spoken.
Nothing else to add.

1 Like

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by Ovialekhe(f): 4:15am On Oct 03, 2014
Nigeria I hail thee.A country where corrupt politicians go free even when it is obvious they actually stole.diaris God oooo.

6 Likes

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by HenryQuest(m): 4:16am On Oct 03, 2014
This is just why you need a good legal defence team. All the court need is a clear evidence. That's all. The best Judge remains the conscience.
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by pleasantchi: 4:17am On Oct 03, 2014
D people who go free in fraud are d people who embezzeles huge amout of money. Buh if some one steals phone or pepper will be thrown naked in d street. I don't know if they re encouraging big fruds. There is God ooo

4 Likes

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by Nobody: 4:18am On Oct 03, 2014
Make i slip i d show
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by stinggy(m): 4:19am On Oct 03, 2014
Yet another one. What a failed generation!
And they keep saying the future belong to the youth, which future?? When all the do is pack these billions and spend it lavishly on ashanas.

I think we should wipe out this generation of men before they squander all what's meant for posterity, they've failed us

4 Likes

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by cole265(m): 4:20am On Oct 03, 2014
In that musicians voice...na like so we go de de.....

1 Like

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by LordMecuzy(m): 4:24am On Oct 03, 2014
Na news be this?
B4 u wan prosecute a whole former PDP chairman for Common Millions?
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by shadowwalker101: 4:25am On Oct 03, 2014
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
na wa oo
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by nijanigga: 4:26am On Oct 03, 2014
Just steal Nigerian money and bargain with GEJ and be a free man.

7 Likes

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by tempem: 4:27am On Oct 03, 2014
grin grin
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by ekemit(m): 4:27am On Oct 03, 2014
so sad that corruption has become an accepted culture in nigeria
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by cole265(m): 4:28am On Oct 03, 2014
In another news...OBJ apologies to Tafa Balogun and alamasia.

Nija politicians stealing and going Scone free since 19100. Psheeeee
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by Lucasbalo(m): 4:28am On Oct 03, 2014
Corruption will eventually doom Nigeria.
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by lekjons(m): 4:32am On Oct 03, 2014
a guy stole a chicken,he was caught by a soldier nd was taken 2 d barrack;beaten so badly nd also made 2 dance wit d chicken he stole!imagine!!dis 1 stole 182,000,000 but he wasn't made 2 dance wit d ghana must go or woteva he used 2 get d money *smh*..oh i forgot dis is Nigeria..all those ain't suprisin!!

2 Likes

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by Nobody: 4:32am On Oct 03, 2014
I am not surprised. President Jonathan has really worked so hard to endorse corruption. Obasanjo and Yaraadua were not perfect but the fought corruption. Today Nigeria has become the personal bank account of GEJ and his cronies. Now they are using the $20billion they stole to buy up prominent northern elites with 100s of millions of dollars. Let us see how this country survives beyond 2015 with all the dangerous shenanigans GEJ keeps playing. We are watching!

-CramJones

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by chidoozmega(m): 4:33am On Oct 03, 2014
MadCow1: All criminals in Nigeria should invest in good lawyers...

Don't blame the judiciary or the office of the attorney general or whoever the agency it was that was handling the case.. Chances are, their entire budget for the year no reach 180 Million Naira.

Fighting corruption is expensive and that is why I give props to Nuhu Ribadu who was able to make lemons from lemonade.
So u ar supporting these thieves, abi.
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by StealthyMe(m): 4:34am On Oct 03, 2014
Nigeria!!!

54yrs...and we were only celebrating yesterday

A Corrupt politician is highly respected in the society ; while the hardworking one is looked down upon ;-\
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by Smartjeezy(m): 4:35am On Oct 03, 2014
Nairalanders is it possible to give Nigeria a surname or a middle name?For me,i think corruption will be better. Gej till 2019...
Re: N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor by lekjons(m): 4:36am On Oct 03, 2014
i dnt lyk bein a Nigerian,i only like d fact dat i can tink lyk a Nigerian(not lyk politians though!)

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking News! Rapture Just Took Place Here In Nigeria / Reno Omokri Advises Fayose Not To Leave PDP / Battle For 2023: Is Kashim Shettima's Legacy A Guarantee Of APC Victory?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.