Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,620 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos (2032 Views)

Advices On A Kia Soul / Purchasing A New Kia Rio / Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 03, 2014
Hi house. I have a Kia Rio which seems to have been incorrectly wired from the factory though the problem has only recently surfaced. Basically the car draws power from the battery alright but no current is returned to the battery so it depletes itself quickly and dies. Also no power gets to the sound system and even the windows sometimes. I took it to a 'roadside' auto sparky recently who fixed the problem temporarily by using copper wire to crudely rewire the thing but that has come apart now and I want to sort this out once and for all. I also need to oil the gearshift which has become VERY stiff of recent, especially when the AC is on or the engine is hot. (My folks bought the car while I was away and so it stood unused for more than a year before I came back. Apparently these small cars are not meant to stand unused for a prolonged period.)
I'm working with a budget of less than N25k to sort this out and I don't want to go to that notorious Dana Motors Kia workshop at Mile II.
Any suggestions for a decent place to do this within a 4km radius of Ikeja?
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 03, 2014
Go to automedics,I tink dey hav an office inside Ltv compound in Agindingbe

1 Like

Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 03, 2014
SAVEDBABA: Go to automedics,I tink dey hav an office inside Ltv compound in Agindingbe
Thanks brother. Really appreciate it.
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:05am On Oct 03, 2014
I have a kia rio 07 model and I'm guessing a few of these things might have happened to your car. Someone might have swapped the terminals of the battery which would result in a damaged radio and possibly a damaged alternator. Luckily you didn't damage your engine computer, the first thing you would notice is a blown 125A fuse in the fuse box which your sparky would have joined using a thick copper wire, unfortunately your battery might continue to deplete cause of the faulty alternator. These are my thoughts I might be wrong.

1 Like

Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 03, 2014
rickkid:
Thanks brother. Really appreciate it.
u r welcome
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 03, 2014
GAZZUZZ: I have a kia rio 07 model and I'm guessing a few of these things might have happened to your car. Someone might have swapped the terminals of the battery which would result in a damaged radio and possibly a damaged alternator. Luckily you didn't damage your engine computer, the first thing you would notice is a blown 125A fuse in the fuse box which your sparky would have joined using a thick copper wire, unfortunately your battery might continue to deplete cause of the faulty alternator. These are my thoughts I might be wrong.
Actually this is exactly what seems to have happened. So what needs changing? Both fuse and alternator? And when you say damaged radio, does that mean it needs to be replaced outright? sad
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:39am On Oct 03, 2014
rickkid:
Actually this is exactly what seems to have happened. So what needs changing? Both fuse and alternator? And when you say damaged radio, does that mean it needs to be replaced outright? :/

Radio fuse check, if you replace it and it blows again, then the protective diode in the radio must be replaced for it to work, if you were good at DIY this would cost you (10naira) grin for the alternator it is possible its still working fine get a multimeter and set it to DC volts 20 then start the car, if you get 13-14 volts it might be working well also check if the battery icon is displayed on the instrument panel while the engine is running if this is happening the alternator is faulty and should be replaced. Above all the fuse sparky replace with a wire is 125a it carries very heavy current and might be broken again, please remove the wire and search for the fuse should cost less than 200naira. If the fuse is blown the alternator will not charge even if it is working or not.

The alternator should be arround 5-7k for tokumbor (it might be less) just judging by the price of the entire engine (70k)

2 Likes

Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 11:33am On Oct 03, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Radio fuse check, if you replace it and it blows again, then the protective diode in the radio must be replaced for it to work, if you were good at DIY this would cost you (10naira) grin for the alternator it is possible its still working fine get a multimeter and set it to DC volts 20 then start the car, if you get 13-14 volts it might be working well also check if the battery icon is displayed on the instrument panel while the engine is running if this is happening the alternator is faulty and should be replaced. Above all the fuse sparky replace with a wire is 125a it carries very heavy current and might be broken again, please remove the wire and search for the fuse should cost less than 200naira. If the fuse is blown the alternator will not charge even if it is working or not.

The alternator should be arround 5-7k for tokumbor (it might be less) just judging by the price of the entire engine (70k)
You are awesome smiley
I don't need to spend nearly as much as I first thought. Just checked and it's as you say. The fuses are gone. Altogether won't cost up to 3k to fix everything up. smiley That just leaves the stiff gearshift. You wouldn't happen to know what oil to buy and how to use it would you? I mean since God sent you my way this morning I might as well ask away grin grin
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:40am On Oct 03, 2014
rickkid:
You are awesome smiley
I don't need to spend nearly as much as I first thought. Just checked and it's as you say. The fuses are gone. Altogether won't cost up to 3k to fix everything up. smiley That just leaves the stiff gearshift. You wouldn't happen to know what oil to buy and how to use it would you? I mean since God sent you my way this morning I might as well ask away grin grin

Stiff when driving or stiff at all times?
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 03, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Stiff when driving. Especially when the engine is hot or the AC is on.
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:08pm On Oct 03, 2014
rickkid:
Stiff when driving. Especially when the engine is hot or the AC is on.

Dat one is not a diy, your money must be choped these are your likely culprits [img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYthHiFQdcZpdMqSnhWHX-X5sv1beLQq7G41hB7pktuuUG4iy4Ic9AmZc_[/img]

Preasure plate and clutch disk, I usually just change the material on the worn out clutch disk (costs me 800naira) and buy a new pressure plate, tokumbor cost me 3k don't know how much a new one costs. But don't buy anything untill the whole thing is checked by a qualified technician, these are just my views of what could be bad.

I'm rulling out a stiff leaver and lack of oil in the gearbox because u said its stiff only when driving.
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 03, 2014
GAZZUZZ post=/post/26829867:

Dat one is not a diy, your money must be choped these are your likely culprits [img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYthHiFQdcZpdMqSnhWHX-X5sv1beLQq7G41hB7pktuuUG4iy4Ic9AmZc_[/img]

Preasure plate and clutch disk, I usually just change the material on the worn out clutch disk (costs me 800naira) and buy a new pressure plate, tokumbor cost me 3k don't know how much a new one costs. But don't buy anything untill the whole thing is checked by a qualified technician, these are just my views of what could be bad.

I'm rulling out a stiff leaver and lack of oil in the gearbox because u said its stiff only when driving.
OK thank you very much, you've been more help this morning than 3 days of quack mechanics put together smiley
God bless you smiley

1 Like

Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by ivoryhouse(m): 5:52pm On Oct 03, 2014
Call this man, he does only transmissions and is good. His workshop is in Ajao estate off airport road
Bisi 08033269147.

1 Like

Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 11:56pm On Oct 03, 2014
ivoryhouse: Call this man, he does only transmissions and is good. His workshop is in Ajao estate off airport road
Bisi 08033269147.
Thanks will check him out.
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 10, 2014
SAVEDBABA:
Go to automedics,I tink dey hav an office inside Ltv compound in Agindingbe
Pls do u have any idea how much a standard service costs at Automedics?
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by autoboxng: 3:02pm On Oct 10, 2014
rickkid:

You can now book online for a mobile mechanic @ www.autobox.ng/meet-amechanic . Once you book, you get a quote and after confirming, our vetted mechani(who is located close to you)c comes to your desired location and does the job after which you pay. Easy as abc
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 10, 2014
autoboxng:

You can now book online for a mobile mechanic @ www.autobox.ng/meet-amechanic . Once you book, you get a quote and after confirming, our vetted mechani(who is located close to you)c comes to your desired location and does the job after which you pay. Easy as abc
Doesn't have full functionality on a mobile browser. Will check it out on my laptop when I get home. Thanks.
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 10, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Thanks for your advice, I have now got a proper sparky to fix this electrical issue. It was actually a miscommunication between my fuse box and ECU.
The only thing is my radio which apparently has a bad power line inside it. The guy quoted me N15k for that and I said tufiakwa never! Abeg please give me a ballpark figure for how much such a repair should cost if you can.
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by autoboxng: 3:20pm On Oct 10, 2014
rickkid:

Doesn't have full functionality on a mobile browser. Will check it out on my laptop when I get home. Thanks.

Oh. We'll sort it out from our end. Do not forget to check it out once you are home. Thanks
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:16pm On Oct 10, 2014
rickkid:

Thanks for your advice, I have now got a proper sparky to fix this electrical issue. It was actually a miscommunication between my fuse box and ECU.
The only thing is my radio which apparently has a bad power line inside it. The guy quoted me N15k for that and I said tufiakwa never! Abeg please give me a ballpark figure for how much such a repair should cost if you can.

It cost me 10naira (no jokes) but it might cost you more just a burnt fuse in fuse box and another diode inside the radio. Add me up on bbm I might do it FOC for u.
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 5:30pm On Oct 10, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

It cost me 10naira (no jokes) but it might cost you more just a burnt fuse in fuse box and another diode inside the radio. Add me up on bbm I might do it FOC for u.
Pls what's your pin?
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 10, 2014
rickkid:

I dnt no sha.
Re: Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 10, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Seen it now. Just added u up.

(1) (Reply)

Help With Nissan Almera Tino. 300000kilometers / Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? / Vehicle Collision, Corrola 2004 And Highlander 2001

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.