Stats: 3,150,405 members, 7,808,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

Nicknames Of A (prospective) Celeb - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nicknames Of A (prospective) Celeb (878 Views)

Meeting A Prospective Mother In-law / The Annual Letters – For Parents, Prospective Parents. (2) (3) (4)

Nicknames Of A (prospective) Celeb by funmo(m): 10:58am On Oct 03, 2014
So I stumbled upon this NairaLand post about nicknames and all and I got inspired to pen this

MY NICKNAMES FROM BACK IN THE DAYS TILL THE PRESENT MOMENT

So, I kinda decide(d) I'll compile all the nicknames and "pseudonyms" that I've ever been called since I can remember! It is just a form of cherished history I wanna preserve. Chances are that I update this regularly as I remember some or get nicknamed... Brace yourself, this list consists of the good, bad and ugly. I'll try to include the origin and the one(s) that "christened" me as much as I remember. E MA BA WA KALO!!!

ACTION!!!!

1 OLOYE NI SOKOTO
This means "a chief at Nickers/shorts". I really don't know How that sokoto comes in, but at least oloye is from my name. People have found it mouthful from back in the days. It's in that vein I constantly forgive those that call me "funmi",in as much as I don't really fancy it.
Only two people called/call me this,my big aunt and my own 11-years-older-than-me sister.

2 BOBO
Almost all male kids get to be called this, but if at 10years of age, you are still being called bobo,then check your birth certificate if it's not actually included
My eldest brother was the only that callED me this, and I called him bobo back too(tautology intended).I probably stopped when he was about to serve, he stopped too. I guess I became too big to be addressed as that.
(P.S) my future wife should take note, this might be a pet name I could cherish, not dear,honey,milk,chocolate,saltie,Maggi,or even sweetheart

3 AKARIGBO
This is the title of the monarch of Remo village! Whatever made people thought it's synonymous with "big head" still baffles me.
A couple of people called me this, probably to poke fun at me for being endowed at the most uppermost region of the body, but I saw it as fun, insults never got to me as a kid, just like they don't do now. Iya Ajomale is the only woman I can vividly remember to have called me this, and maybe occupants of the old No. 102, Ondo Road, Ijebu-Ode.

4 HEADMASTER
This name was euphemistically crafted o! But rather to taunt me, it was to make me feel like the head(literally and otherwiselly).
My (or let me say "our"wink godmother at my homechurch called me this. She still does seldomly. She was the iya-ewe then

5 OSAMA
Maybe my peers saw me as stubborn in Jss3,but the name didn't just go with the occasion of the yoruba meaning then. Back then,(03), it meant someone who loves to skip class, and that was never me. 3 years later, I was to be called the name again, at a different setting;my home church, after having "skipped" home for 3 months. Was "chilling" in Cotonou(and the name had siblings, like osanle,enilolobo,cotonou,benin,cotonou boy... I still get to be addressed by that name by these people, so unforgiving of them, it's a decade already, let it go o )
Sola Odulaja nicknamed me this in school, ironically this dude surpassed me in stubborness and noisemaking. He even gave me a black eye at a time, an incident that cut our friendship short back then(kids will be kids! Won't they?). Iya Olorunju gave me the name again in 06, well she's a prophet, she obviously saw the past!

6 LAROYE
This name didn't stick for long, I'm glad it didn't.I put a stop to it after 3 fights, won 2, lost 1 (it's debatable though, but I won't seek a rematch). This was in ss1, the osama name had faded because I had new classmates by "now"(and I was getting glad because I didn't like the name! I MEAN! I'M NOT A TERRORIST NITORI OLORUN). My opponents in those bouts were, Gboyega, Seni and Wale. Seni went on to become my best friend the following year.
The "useless" boys (Seni,Wale,Reuben,Kenny et al....u guys were useless back in the days for having guts to call me Satan sha) from jss maroon felt they haven't seen my type of head before, hence the name. Back in jss class, their class arm was useless, that was why they were classless in jss3.

7 funmo
This one was self-given. In ss2, we had a fake karate/Kung Fu club in class. ss2 blue. Funmo sounded Chinese, hence the name. It used to be master funmo , since Kung Fu people call Kung Fu experts master. I named my "accomplices" too, but It didn't stick. They were: funma(funmilade), dammo(damilola), muso (musa) , ezo(Ezekiel), dejo(deji), and kayo(kayode)....jado(jide) doesn't count, he was too gentle.
Sammo Hung went my the name Samuel in one of his movies, ( a childhood friend, mc summary the comedian told me this, IF NA TRUE OR SOBO, I no know o )I thought they called him sammo because his real name was Samuel. So I thought Funmiloye can bear funmo. Abi?

8 FUNMILAYO
So, in Jonquet Cotonou , back in September - December deux milli dix (05), nobody knew funmo or funmiloye. My nuclear family (I got adopted...don't worry, diaries of a runaway kid will soon be completed) called me this, I gave up trying to tell them I'm funmiloye
Felix (my Cotonou Frere) gave me this. My ten years anniversary of being away from my 2nd motherland is next year anyways,can't wait to go back home and bear that name again.

9 FUNMO DU BENIN (DU BENIN)/ FUNMI / MC FUNMO / EMCEE FUNMO / FUNMO BABY
These ones just became nicknames by default, the first means funmo of benin, I gave myself. My roomie of 3 years gave me the second, and Zion hostel people and CSU,...these "lazy" folks say my full name is mouthful. Mc funmo was given to me by one of my ogas in publicity unit of my fellowship(CHERUBIM AND SERAPHIM UNIFICATION, LAUTECH CHAPTER ),(Bro) Taiwo Oladimeji ,I was the compere at the singles' summit for that year(010),and I kinda did well comically, I even dropped two original jokes that got laughs... come two Sundays later, I see my name on the publicity board with the tag "mc funmo doing his thing at the singles' summit"...so I had to become the official mc of the great fellowship all through school.(so, the whole comedy thing started from there, and p s ,the p s won't be even aware he gave me the name). Emcee funmo was self given, it's pronounced mc too, but it's a lyrical title for rappers (A HOST OF PEOPLE ON MY FACEBOOK LIST DON'T KNOW I RAP, I go shock una soon)....and that happened to be my 2go username... funmo baby too is just a rap stuff, you add baby to your name when you are "feeling" yourself lyrically..

THE NICKNAME BODA ELEHA DOESN'T COUNT!!!

if I ever get any more nicks or remember any old faded ones, I'll be back to edit!
Re: Nicknames Of A (prospective) Celeb by Ephhay(f): 10:40pm On Oct 03, 2014
Hw many nicknames du u av gan?
Re: Nicknames Of A (prospective) Celeb by funmo(m): 7:51pm On Oct 05, 2014
well miss ego efay Ephhay it's an accumulation of past nicks and present ones.....

thanks!

(p s this post will appear on front page in less than 5 years... )

Never Too Late To Start Caring / My Night With A Blogger (part 2) / Madame Koi Koi 4 (a Trip Down Fgc Ikirun Lane)