Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? (18515 Views)

Is This Animal Edible, Just Killed It In My Lodge / 17 Health Benefits Of Egg Plant (garden Egg) / Bush Meat Eaters: Do You Know The Kind Of Animal Behind The Bush Meat You Eat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by owolabifunke14(f): 8:07am On Oct 04, 2014
pussyaddict:

An egg yolk contains 186mg cholesterol. Why do you think doctors would say only 1 egg should be consumed daily and never consumed by heart-related disease patients.

You can consume vegetable as many times as possible in a day and have nothing to loose

Its not that animal nutrient source is bad but it comes with lots of calories and anti-ion productions in the body
I think you are mixing things up, plants are classified as vegetables,legumes etc . Vegetables are not protein sources but fibre.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by Nobody: 8:12am On Oct 04, 2014
temzybabe: happy birthday dear!!
thanks....am honoured!!
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by Nobody: 8:14am On Oct 04, 2014
konjakonja: HBD...sending 20bags of beans to you now
hahahahhaha....boss..wetin i do u na??lols..anyways ..send dem in...it will do for d sala....smiles...thanks for d wishes....am honoured!!
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 04, 2014
Ajibam:
I know quote a lot about the cholesterol, but that doesn't stop it from releasing the nutrients our body needs for development.
Am not even talking about rate of consumption here, all am after is for you to know that in aspect of protein supplication, vegetables don't stand the chance, even blood meal gives more protein than vegetables talk less of milk, even simple goat milk!
You may eat vegetables hundred of times, though you have nothing to lose, you still stand to gain very little.

Guy goat/cow milk despite its proteinous quality still high level of fat. Soya milk or at least skinned milk is better. They provide same nutrient with lesser fat. Blood meals are majorly nitrogen supplements which most vegetables can get you.

U seem not to get what I'm saying. Everyone including me is guilty of high cosumption of animal meals. Doctors however recommend that we reduce animal consumption and replace our nutrients with plant source as much as possible

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 04, 2014
lepasharon: plant protein is healthier
Is there anythin u need to knw abt dis apart frm scientific proof? Owolabifunke14 argued frm science perspectives dt plant protein sources contain some anti-nutritional factors wic cannot be all removed tru boilling. Some of these anti-nutrients readily bind wit proteins while others are d main anti-spermatogenic agents.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 04, 2014
owolabifunke14: I think you are mixing things up, plants are classified as vegetables,legumes etc . Vegetables are not protein sources but fibre.

Hmm ok. I should say some plants rather than just saying vegetable. That's true. Thanks. Legumes such as beans and groundnuts are good protein source

But even the popular spinach vegetable is a good protein source too. But its majorly not protein sha. Its ions and fibre
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 04, 2014
It’s
easy to get enough protein without eating
animals, but the doubters often have another
concern: Are these meat-free protein sources
complete?
The term "complete protein" refers to amino
acids, the building blocks of protein. There are
20 different amino acids that can form a protein,
and nine that the body can’t produce on its
own. These are called essential amino acids —
we need to eat them because we can’t make
them ourselves. In order to be considered
“complete,” a protein must contain all nine of
these essential amino acids in roughly equal
amounts.
Yes, meat and eggs are complete proteins, and
beans and nuts aren’t. But humans don’t need
every essential amino acid in every bite of food
in every meal they eat; we only need a sufficient
amount of each amino acid every day [1] . Most
dieticians believe that plant-based diets contain
such a wide variety of amino acid profiles that
vegans are virtually guaranteed to get all of
their amino acids with very little effort [2] .
Still, some people want complete proteins in all
of their meals. No problem—meat’s not the only
contender. Eggs and dairy also fit the bill, which
is an easy get for the vegetarians, but there are
plenty of other ways to get complete proteins on
your next meatless Monday. also I want u to note that plant protein are from direct source cause plants produces there food on there own where by animals feed on plants. moreover milk protein are finished product from the factory not a direct source unlike plant protein.
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by buoye1(m): 8:46am On Oct 04, 2014
Chai!!na dry fish sure pass
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by prof800(m): 8:46am On Oct 04, 2014
Animal protein is the best source because it is usually the most complete source of protein. It contains more essential amino acids than plant protein. Of importance is L-arginine which helps a man in sexual vigor. grin grin undecided grin present in lean meat.

But animal meals are often unhealthy because they sometimes come with additional unhealthy oils, fats, cholesterol, virus and worms. That is why an average doctor will tell you to stick to plant source of protein because they are often healthier and 'cleaner'.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by holatoj(m): 8:54am On Oct 04, 2014
hmmmmm....let's do some biology and chemistry....in plant proteins though complex are in their simplest form......but animal take in plant since we are dependent on plants.....the cows and others convert plant protein to a more complex format.....making the body undergo more stress in converting and digesting it......u want to compare beans with cow meat ?? beans z far better than cow meat......my dad z a diabetes patient and d most essential food d doctors prescribed for him z taking Beans with his rice......plant protein z far better Dan animal protein......in most plant protein there are little or no additional products which your body dnt find hard disposing but in animals your body has to battle Cholesterol grin real hard grin
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by JayTdike(m): 9:56am On Oct 04, 2014
@OP, animal protein is better than plant protein because it(animal protein) has- what we call- Biological Value(BV) which is way higher than that of plants. Meat has a BV of around 74, beans has BV of 40, so this means the body will absorb more protein from meat for synthesis than the latter.

However, animal proteins contain much higher fat content and you can risk heart related diseases from too much consumption on the long run, this is the same reason older people are advised not to indulge in eggs and meat.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by mikolo80: 9:56am On Oct 04, 2014
owolabifunke14:
Let me help u out. Ur girl lied to u, animal protein is 100% better than plant proteins. Here are my scientific based reasons of which everyone who knows about nutrients would attest to, (1)proteins from animal origin contains essential amino acids such as methionine and lysine which are lacking in plant proteins. (2)plant proteins contains antinutrients haemagglutinins and lectins which have ability of agglutinating red blood cells in a fashion similar to antibodies and thus poisonous to humans (3)every plant contains hydrogen cyanide or prussic acid which could cause anoxia of central nervous system,it is only methionine from meat that can detoxify cyanide through a pathway known as cyanide thiocyanate sulphur transferase rhodenase. If not in children poor growth will occur and sperm formation will be poor in adults. Methionine helps ur liver and bone as well(4)every food from plant contains what is called tannin:this tannins binds protein and impairs it availabilities,it only lysine supplied through the consumption of meat that can help ur system destroy d polyphenols such as chlorogenic caffeic and make proteins available for ur brain and subsequent distribution of serotonine in ur system.(5)plant protein sources such as beans,soya bean and ground apparent digestible crude protein of 45%,42% and 41% respectively whereas meat contains about 110-150% crude protein.(6) milk and egg are the only complete food in nature because they contain all the nutrients/classes of food in their right proportions,guess what,they are both from animal. I will stop here,please tell ur girl friend that she was wrong. Animal protein is better than plant protein. NB: cooking or boiling also detoxifies the antinutrients I mentioned above but not completely.
what aboutu mushroom heard it has essential amino acids too
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by MrTeymee(m): 10:08am On Oct 04, 2014
owolabifunke14:
Let me help u out. Ur girl lied to u, animal protein is 100% better than plant proteins. Here are my scientific based reasons of which everyone who knows about nutrients would attest to, (1)proteins from animal origin contains essential amino acids such as methionine and lysine which are lacking in plant proteins. (2)plant proteins contains antinutrients haemagglutinins and lectins which have ability of agglutinating red blood cells in a fashion similar to antibodies and thus poisonous to humans (3)every plant contains hydrogen cyanide or prussic acid which could cause anoxia of central nervous system,it is only methionine from meat that can detoxify cyanide through a pathway known as cyanide thiocyanate sulphur transferase rhodenase. If not in children poor growth will occur and sperm formation will be poor in adults. Methionine helps ur liver and bone as well(4)every food from plant contains what is called tannin:this tannins binds protein and impairs it availabilities,it only lysine supplied through the consumption of meat that can help ur system destroy d polyphenols such as chlorogenic caffeic and make proteins available for ur brain and subsequent distribution of serotonine in ur system.(5)plant protein sources such as beans,soya bean and ground apparent digestible crude protein of 45%,42% and 41% respectively whereas meat contains about 110-150% crude protein.(6) milk and egg are the only complete food in nature because they contain all the nutrients/classes of food in their right proportions,guess what,they are both from animal. I will stop here,please tell ur girl friend that she was wrong. Animal protein is better than plant protein. NB: cooking or boiling also detoxifies the antinutrients I mentioned above but not completely.

Sister essential amino acids are not lacking in plants, they are just in unequal proportions unlike in animals.

Animal protein contain better proportions of essential amino acids when compared with plant protein. These plant proteins are known to lack one or moreessential amino acid so we need to combine. Example, wheat is rich in gliadin buh has insufficient amount of lysine.

Another type of protein which is found in corn called Zein is low in both lysine and tryptophan.
Plant proteins are a good source of protein if eaten in the right proportions e.g. Rice and beans.
Beans is known to be rich in methionine while rice is rich in lysine
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by bezimo(m): 10:15am On Oct 04, 2014
I was told that plant protein:Beans is poor mans protein but Animal protein: egg, meat, fish, turkey, chiken is more nutritious and Not poor mans protein.
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by xkizer: 10:15am On Oct 04, 2014
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/protein-full-story/

Animal proteins tend to be complete. Plant proteins tend to be incomplete. However, you can get all the essential amino acids from plants by eating a variety of plants.
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by saintneo(m): 10:36am On Oct 04, 2014
feedthenation:
Both are very good source of protein in the right proportion.

In growing children animal protein is good, whilst for adults, less consumption of animal protein and more of plant protein is advisable because of cholestrol in their body.

I hate to hear of cholesterol. Take a look at a lion and a cow; a cow eats all the vegetables in the world yet it is fat, a lion eats protein(other animals) yet it is fit.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by pat358(m): 11:09am On Oct 04, 2014
I agree with your girl friend. You can't get enough protein from fish and meat only. Animal and plant protein are good for you
Eating only rice is not healthy enough, you need more nuitrient for it. It should be complimented with, vegetables, protein(beans, moin-moin) etc.
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by pat358(m): 11:10am On Oct 04, 2014
pat358:
I agree with your girl friend. You can't get enough protein from fish and meat only. Animal and plant protein are good for you
Eating only rice is not healthy enough, you need more nuitrient for it. It should be complimented with, vegetables, protein(beans, moin-moin) etc.
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 04, 2014
owolabifunke14:
I'm going to consult diff textbooks on that. I read an article published in one parkistainian journal some months ago about it.
Ok ma.. Pls do
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by shegestiga(m): 11:34am On Oct 04, 2014
Protein from animal origin is better dan plant protein in terms of quality.......food technologist's view
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by okeyfx(m): 11:57am On Oct 04, 2014
Animal Protien are known as FIRST CLASS PROTIEN while Plant protien which can be found in Legumes and cereals plants are known as SECOND CLASS PROTIEN because plant protein lack some essential Amino Acid.

So OP "First Class" and "Second Class" which one better pass??!??! undecided
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by Raypawer(m): 12:16pm On Oct 04, 2014
OH... Grammer...

MILK and EGG. Ok

owolabifunke14:
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by IYANGBALI: 12:32pm On Oct 04, 2014
The best source is akpu and ebola soup with monkey meat
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 04, 2014
It's not easy to just group them together and say one is better than the other. Also over time new research changes our perception on both source of protein , take for instance , butter and margarine , some years back it was widely believed and scientifically supported that margarine was healthier than butter but new research shows that butter is actually better for the heart than margarine.
We also have to consider what you mean when you you say "best source" , do you mean healthier or more nutritious , as healthier doesn't always mean more nutritious just as nutritious doesn't always mean healthier.
Eat what you feel like eating in moderation and make sure you take a balanced diet. Wetin go kill man na him go kill am so enjoy your life but don't become gluttonous

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 04, 2014
owolabifunke14:
Let me help u out.
It seems u did study Animal Biotechnology. Only some of us in dis field and related ones can argue frm these perspectives.
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by chibecanglobal(m): 2:03pm On Oct 04, 2014
Go for edible fungi like mushrooms for all the benefits of animal and plant proteins.
They also contain far less saturated fats and other bad substances.
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by Flexy2vybes(m): 2:22pm On Oct 04, 2014
wel ladiez wud prefer d aminal protein cuz d lik chewablez undecided
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by chalxdon(m): 2:42pm On Oct 04, 2014
owolabifunke14:
What is your discipline?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by seunwen2(m): 2:55pm On Oct 04, 2014
Johnnoo:
Animal protein is better than plant protein

How?
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by festwiz(m): 2:56pm On Oct 04, 2014
According to biology, they say animal protein is complete protein. Maybe because they feed on plants i guess.
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by soonest(f): 3:22pm On Oct 04, 2014
I thought plant protein is healthier. Well let me goggle it
Re: Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? by ThimmyWood(m): 4:00pm On Oct 04, 2014
Animal protein is good because of its bioavailability, reason being that it has structures and compositions similar to that of human being.
In the absence of meat or fish, rice and beans is the best because it make up complete protein diet because each compliment one another. Methionine and lysine are readily available for human use.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Was Your Childhood Food Fantasy? (Pics) / Help Me, My Tigernut Milk Doesn't Last A Day. / What Did You Cook Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.