Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,475 members, 7,781,384 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:34 PM

Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer (1205 Views)

Oculus Rift Will Support Macs 'when Apple Makes A Good Computer' / How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage / Fatal Security Flaw In All Versions Of Internet Explorer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer by onlykay(m): 8:22pm On Oct 03, 2014
Criminals have discovered a flaw in OS X, the Mac operating system, and are using it to control thousands of Apple computers around the world.

The Russian security company Dr. Web first discovered the software, known as "Mac.BackDoor.iWorm." We don't yet know how the software spreads, but Dr. Web has released information on the clever way it connects to the criminals who control the program.

When a Mac is infected with Mac.BackDoor.iWorm, the program tries to make a connection to a command server. The iWorm reportedly uses Reddit's search function to find comments left by the criminals in a Minecraft discussion section of the site. (Minecraft is the block-building video game published by independent publisher Mojang, which Microsoft purchased for $2.5 billion in September.)

After iWorm finds the Reddit comments, it attempts to connect to the server addresses listed in the Minecraft subreddit. Once connected, criminals can send commands to their "botnet" of infected computers. Botnets are often used to send spam emails, mine Bitcoin, or flood websites with traffic that eventually crashes them.

It doesn't seem like the infected computers are currently being used for any attack, so the criminals behind iWorm are probably only growing the network for now.

Dr. Web has published the number of computers that it believes have been affected by iWorm. As of last Friday, 17,658 infected Mac computers have been discovered, with 4,610 of them in the US.

Re: Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer by omanifrank(m): 9:06pm On Oct 03, 2014
wahala
Re: Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer by Fulaman198(m): 12:30am On Oct 04, 2014
You need to provide a source for your article.
Re: Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer by Nobody: 4:35am On Oct 04, 2014
grin was gonna get an apple lappy next week or 2 o..b4 dem hack me ,release my nude...
Re: Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer by Fulaman198(m): 7:27am On Oct 04, 2014
SuperMartins: grin was gonna get an apple lappy next week or 2 o..b4 dem hack me ,release my nude...

LOL stop taking your nude pics to impress the ladies. A true gentleman does no such thing.

I think Apple's ecosystem about being secure is overhyped. They make nice looking laptops, but it seems that everything Apple is putting out these days is highly overrated.
Re: Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

LOL stop taking your nude pics to impress the ladies. A true gentleman does no such thing.

I think Apple's ecosystem about being secure is overhyped. They make nice looking laptops, but it seems that everything Apple is putting out these days is highly overrated.
Lolzz..Brother,was jxt playn joor...Old brother like me go begin send Ladies my "thing"..I wuld get an Apple still shaa...I already made up my mind on dat...Seems to me u a Fan of apple too..abeg when u dey order ur Iphone6,Order for 2 in d spirit of Independence ... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer by Fulaman198(m): 4:43pm On Oct 04, 2014
SuperMartins:
Lolzz..Brother,was jxt playn joor...Old brother like me go begin send Ladies my "thing"..I wuld get an Apple still shaa...I already made up my mind on dat...Seems to me u a Fan of apple too..abeg when u dey order ur Iphone6,Order for 2 in d spirit of Independence ... cheesy

I'm not really a fan of Apple, I just like their laptops. I kind of hate their phones loll
Re: Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer by Roozzaay(m): 4:33pm On Oct 05, 2014
Fulaman198:

I'm not really a fan of Apple, I just like their laptops. I kind of hate their phones loll

"i kind of hate their phones" i'm sure nt the one bending in ur pocket bro. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer by Fulaman198(m): 7:20pm On Oct 05, 2014
Roozzaay:

"i kind of hate their phones" i'm sure nt the one bending in ur pocket bro. cheesy cheesy

ROFLLL I know they are just overpriced expensive pieces of rubbish.
Re: Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer by Roozzaay(m): 1:04pm On Oct 06, 2014
Fulaman198:

ROFLLL I know they are just overpriced expensive pieces of rubbish.

atleast it shows the Oyinbos (Whites) can also be extravagant at times.

1 Like

Re: Hackers Have Found A Flaw In Macs &are Using It To Control 17,000 Apple Computer by Fulaman198(m): 1:44pm On Oct 06, 2014
Roozzaay:

atleast it shows the Oyinbos (Whites) can also be extravagant at times.

I agree with you bro

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is There Another Key That Can Function As The Enter Key? / Pls Where Can I Download Latest Movies Of High Memory On My Pc / How Can I Upload Pictures To My Facebook Albums Without It Posting On My Wall?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.