Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. (2104 Views)

Making Of 5 Storey Building (hotel) / Warri: Many Feared Dead As Hotel Collapse In Delta +Photos! / A Story Building Hotel For Sell Around Shasha, Alimisho @ 30m Negotiatable.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by icemann(m): 1:57am On Oct 04, 2014
Fellow Nigerians, as a Civil engineering graduate, i would love to give you a detailed explanation why the building collapse wasn't caused by an explosion.

During the stages of a building design, as a civil engineering student, i was taught the use of critical columns in my design. The critical columns is suppose to hold a build when an unexpected disaster affects the sides of a building e.g Flood, earth quake. In the design, the critical columns are suppose to carry the total building weight (dead load and imposed load) even when neglecting the presence of other columns i.e in theory they can hold up a building without other support structure like the walls. In most designs walls are classified as dead load other than a support for the building.

The video released by the church shows on side of the structure failed and resulted to multiple column failures. In a well designed structure if a failure occurs on one side of a building, the critical columns would prevent the other sides from falling and hold up other parts of the building. This is a safety measure that is in practice for years and every qualified engineer knows this.

Below is an example, That building was bombed in Oklahoma city, Oklahoma USA by Timothy McVeigh on April 19, 1995. The critical columns were able to hold up the rest of the building and minimal damage was caused. Compare that too the synagogue building.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing

At this point you don't need to be a demolition expert or a civil engineer to know its a design flaw.
Now the questions we should be asking is,
1. Who designed the building
2. Why did the state approve the design.
3. Who decided to build a bad design.

I think all three groups need to questioned.

Thanks.

Icemann.

B Sc. Civil Engineering F.U.T Owerri.
M.Sc University of Texas Austin.

[b] DISCLAIMER [/b]r.
Above is my personal analysis of the tragedy. Any use without the permission of the Author is a violation of the copyright laws. Thanks.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by Greenified(m): 3:35am On Oct 04, 2014
Thumbs up, one of the first few persons that talked sense. Not some yeye pple believing its rituals, charms and the likes. #Africans
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by Justeenaleo(f): 6:08am On Oct 04, 2014
smiley smiley
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 04, 2014
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by icemann(m): 7:38am On Oct 04, 2014
Greenified: Thumbs up, one of the first few persons that talked sense. Not some yeye pple believing its rituals, charms and the likes. #Africans

"My people perish for lack of knowledge"
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by homerac7: 7:51am On Oct 04, 2014
@OP, thank you bro for one of scarce sane analysis (although unverifiable yet) of that accident.

I a mechanical engineer. The mist stupid part of the SCOAN claim is the aircraft theory. Honestly, were the gov interested in conducting an inquiry, or a prosecution witness deciding to establish his case against the owner, simply bring in structural engineers to review its acoustic soundness, and TB Joshua goes to jail straight!

Merely claiming that it collapsed because an aircraft ( a C130 plane) flew over it severally in an area well known for its heavy air traffic is a serious self indictment. The case is simple, it suffered structural failure from onset of complex harmonics (vibrations) which is a serious deficiency given its location!

This theory is simply in line with the claim of SCOAN herself, but a true Root Cause Analysis will provide more info.

1 Like

Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by corperscorner: 12:52pm On Oct 04, 2014
Just wait...

Make TB Joshua see this thread.....

U go see wetin he go do all of una.....

LMAO.....grin

1 Like

Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by Youngzedd(m): 8:21am On Oct 25, 2014
Revival.
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by solara: 10:13am On Oct 25, 2014
Make sense grin

undecided

But wat abt WTC building collapse
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by okzcorp: 11:04am On Oct 25, 2014
icemann:

"My people perish for lack of knowledge"

Bros, but FUTO awards B.Eng not B.Sc.

1 Like

Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by icemann(m): 4:27pm On Oct 31, 2014
Seun, Obinoscopy and Mynd44, why is this thread not on Frontpage for fairness sake?
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by donefezy: 5:36pm On Oct 31, 2014
solara:
Make sense grin

undecided

But wat abt WTC building collapse
Not everything went down, besides that was a direct attack on the building itself
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by dedons: 6:47pm On Oct 31, 2014
donefezy:

Not everything went down, besides that was a direct attack on the building itself
i thought FUTO award B. TECH and not B. SC.
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by mumumugu(m): 9:27pm On Oct 31, 2014
dedons:
i thought FUTO award B. TECH and not B. SC.

no, futo awards b.hiv
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by Raypawer(m): 10:23pm On Oct 31, 2014
icemann, i like ur analysis. i had Deliberately refused to comment or read anything about this issue until now, but i have questions for you...

**Why do u ask such questions as of the building collapsed @ US

**Do you think that Nigeria has really Changed

**Why Asking Question as if u were not a futite
All those houses @ Umuchima, Ihiagwa, nd d neighboring towns... how many approval did they get

Fact!
In Nigeria, people thinks their money can do and undo, thereby disobeying laws in the society, thinking their money will remedy the situation, the go ahead to prosecute strictly the common man for least disobedience... but they tend to forget that the law was made for their own good, and that by disobeying the rules, one day will fight them back.

i heard so day in a news that this building was not approved by Lagos state government, my Question is

if Lagos State town planning is innocent, why did they allow this building until now that it has caused a menace before they spoke out
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by Dannyset(m): 10:24pm On Oct 31, 2014
Did I hear u say even Earthquake?
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:39pm On Oct 31, 2014
corperscorner:
Just wait...

Make TB Joshua see this thread.....

U go see wetin he go do all of una.....

LMAO.....grin

Brown envelope and beg OP to modify thread. grin
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by ogtavia(m): 12:28am On Nov 01, 2014
I agree with you OP...I mean as an engineer,you are an authority in d field..I am also a professional in d constructn industry,quite yóung,but not unaware of structures...d building u posted is a framed structure and I am sure u knw wat it is,but for benefit of people who dnt,a framed structure is a one wherein,d dead and major live loads are calculated and supported by columns,wherein,d walls only act as partition and carry very minimal loads such that upon removal of such walls,d building will stand and such building can be stripped bare and changes made,in d case of SCOAN building,I dnt think,d concept of d structure was a framed structure,even if it is,before I digress into d aircraft matter,there is always a risk analysis /assessment,it is nt common but is being encouraged now,if d building is a framed structure or one with critical columns like you said,..but was nt properly constructed or poorly calculated for or constructed with poor materials or wrong measures of building materials(this happens a lot),u understand this...then it doesn't matter how many columns it has,it was bound to fail...but looking at it like u said,critical columns weren't provided for,it isn't always d case,but it is advised when buildings are having identical floors...about d aircraft issue,I researched on d aircraft and I think u shud too,dt aircraft is a modern fighter plane capable of bringing down highrise buildings or similar structures,it is equipped with vibratns causing mechanisms...yet d questns remain..why SCOAN...someone alleged alien,drone or paranormal activity...but why SCOAN...
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by dedons: 7:35am On Nov 01, 2014
mumumugu:

no, futo awards b.hiv
no wonder
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by hayzed2: 11:38am On Nov 02, 2014
icemann:
Fellow Nigerians, as a Civil engineering graduate, i would love to give you a detailed explanation why the building collapse wasn't caused by an explosion.

During the stages of a building design, as a civil engineering student, i was taught the use of critical columns in my design. The critical columns is suppose to hold a build when an unexpected disaster affects the sides of a building e.g Flood, earth quake. In the design, the critical columns are suppose to carry the total building weight (dead load and imposed load) even when neglecting the presence of other columns i.e in theory they can hold up a building without other support structure like the walls. In most designs walls are classified as dead load other than a support for the building.

The video released by the church shows on side of the structure failed and resulted to multiple column failures. In a well designed structure if a failure occurs on one side of a building, the critical columns would prevent the other sides from falling and hold up other parts of the building. This is a safety measure that is in practice for years and every qualified engineer knows this.

Below is an example, That building was bombed in Oklahoma city, Oklahoma USA by Timothy McVeigh on April 19, 1995. The critical columns were able to hold up the rest of the building and minimal damage was caused. Compare that too the synagogue building.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing

At this point you don't need to be a demolition expert or a civil engineer to know its a design flaw.
Now the questions we should be asking is,
1. Who designed the building
2. Why did the state approve the design.
3. Who decided to build a bad design.

I think all three groups need to questioned.

Thanks.

Icemann.

B Sc. Civil Engineering F.U.T Owerri.
M.Sc University of Texas Austin.

[b] DISCLAIMER [/b]r.
Above is my personal analysis of the tragedy. Any use without the permission of the Author is a violation of the copyright laws. Thanks.

How would you analyse the 9/11 collapse
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by icemann(m): 7:42pm On Nov 03, 2014
Raypawer:
icemann, i like ur analysis. i had Deliberately refused to comment or read anything about this issue until now, but i have questions for you...

**Do you think that Nigeria has really Changed

All those houses @ Umuchima, Ihiagwa, nd d neighboring towns... how many approval did they get

Fact!
In Nigeria, people thinks their money can do and undo, thereby disobeying laws in the society, thinking their money will remedy the situation, the go ahead to prosecute strictly the common man for least disobedience... but they tend to forget that the law was made for their own good, and that by disobeying the rules, one day will fight them back.

i heard so day in a news that this building was not approved by Lagos state government, my Question is

if Lagos State town planning is innocent, why did they allow this building until now that it has caused a menace before they spoke out

Let me answer your Questions

I asked cause we strive to be a civilized society like the US so we should ask questions like a civilized society. These questions help us to be a better society

**Do you think that Nigeria has really Changed.
To be Honest, No much we are still stuck in our old ways. we need to adapt the modern way of a society.

During my time in FUTO i noticed the building authorities come around and mark X on some buildings during construction. I can remember them marking X on the new lecture theater near the Library so that means the drawings were later submitted and checked by the right people but you cant verify if the built to specifications. As of the hostels off campus, i don't know.

if Lagos State town planning is innocent, why did they allow this building until now that it has caused a menace before they spoke out.

Even if the Design wasn't approve the Engineer should be held responsible. TB Joshua is not an engineer so he shouldn't be held responsible. I think his ministry should stop the bomb conspiracy they are spreading. In a civilized society they would be charged for Defamation, neglect and Miss-information. and yes these crimes carry sentences and fines.

I am always happy to see Great FUTOites like you (MR or is it MRS Raypawer) contributing meaningfully to this forum.
Re: My Analysis On The Synagogue Building(hotel) Collapse. by Raypawer(m): 9:56pm On Nov 03, 2014
icemann:

Let me answer your Questions

I asked cause we strive to be a civilized society like the US so we should ask questions like a civilized society. These questions help us to be a better society

**Do you think that Nigeria has really Changed.
To be Honest, No much we are still stuck in our old ways. we need to adapt the modern way of a society.

During my time in FUTO i noticed the building authorities come around and mark X on some buildings during construction. I can remember them marking X on the new lecture theater near the Library so that means the drawings were later submitted and checked by the right people but you cant verify if the built to specifications. As of the hostels off campus, i don't know.

if Lagos State town planning is innocent, why did they allow this building until now that it has caused a menace before they spoke out.

Even if the Design wasn't approve the Engineer should be held responsible. TB Joshua is not an engineer so he shouldn't be held responsible. I think his ministry should stop the bomb conspiracy they are spreading. In a civilized society they would be charged for Defamation, neglect and Miss-information. and yes these crimes carry sentences and fines.

I am always happy to see Great FUTOites like you (MR or is it MRS Raypawer) contributing meaningfully to this forum.

oh yea... its mr!

but leh me spot this from ur statement...

***All those buildings marked x u said u saw****
hw many were actually demolished

u c... that's what am saying, Nigerians know the truth but are too greedy to abide by it!

(1) (Reply)

Roofing,tilling And POP Design. / For Your Building Constructions,civil Engineering,project Management Call Us / Enjoy A Vacation Everyday: 5 Luxury Homes For Rent In Lagos, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.