Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,061 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:51 AM

Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor (2918 Views)

My Advice To All Nigerian Developers / Most Web Developers Are Guilty Of This / Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by winexviv: 1:23pm On Oct 04, 2014
I have worried over this for quite some days now. When i visit Nairaland webmaster forum and read through comments and posts to see 10k - 50k developers i feel very discouraged. For how long can this people stay in this business? Can all those change buy you a duplex in Lekki? This is so painful.

2 days back, i got a quote from Bluefountain Media which says that their least charge for a web project is $25,000 and these guys have nearly a thousand active clients.

I know their web jobs are excellent but we have good developers here in Nigeria that still charges 10k - 50k naira.

I used to charge this small but have stopped. I charge from 200k above for any project but the reason why i keep getting more jobs and recommendations are because my delivery is on time, neat and excellent job and success driven. 80% of my clients are making huge money or seeing great value from their project. I stay in Lekki and drives a 2009 camry and Range rover sport super charged. 10k - 50k can't get you this or fuel it for you. It will only be setting you back, and you know most low paying clients are naturally violent. They think the job is easy.

Please lets share ideas here. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by osile2012: 1:38pm On Oct 04, 2014
u must have contacted a virus through the internet. Who cares where u live and how many cars u drive?

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by GodMode: 1:41pm On Oct 04, 2014
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by winexviv: 1:46pm On Oct 04, 2014
I'm not trying to show off guys but we need to stop the 10k - 50k syndrome. This profession should make us. We make people with our codes and sleepless nights. I know someone out there will be motivated to step up his/her game. Concentrate more on value creation, improve continuously and bill clients in proportion to the value given out.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by Djtm(m): 2:15pm On Oct 04, 2014
wow you're rich, that's cool. do you work for a company or you're a freelancer? did you buy all those yourself (from your dev proceedings) or your rich parents got them for you?

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by Tolzeal(m): 2:55pm On Oct 04, 2014
winexviv:
I have worried over this for quite some days now. When i visit Nairaland webmaster forum and read through comments and posts to see 10k - 50k developers i feel very discouraged. For how long can this people stay in this business? Can all those change buy you a duplex in Lekki? This is so painful.

2 days back, i got a quote from Bluefountain Media which says that their least charge for a web project is $25,000 and these guys have nearly a thousand active clients.

I know their web jobs are excellent but we have good developers here in Nigeria that still charges 10k - 50k naira.

I used to charge this small but have stopped. I charge from 200k above for any project but the reason why i keep getting more jobs and recommendations are because my delivery is on time, neat and excellent job and success driven. 80% of my clients are making huge money or seeing great value from their project. I stay in Lekki and drives a 2009 camry and Range rover sport super charged. 10k - 50k can't get you this or fuel it for you. It will only be setting you back, and you know most low paying clients are naturally violent. They think the job is easy.

Please lets share ideas here. Thank you.

please give us links to the web pages u built for that price.
thanks
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by winexviv: 3:09pm On Oct 04, 2014
I will show you my projects on request and via email. Most of my co developers don't really participate in this forum but just read through and pass. It pains me to see people still charge low. I have gained alot through Nairaland and most of my old posts have gone because of the attack they had some months back. Please developers up your game and at the same time improve continously to represent your charge.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by CreativeWeb(m): 5:10pm On Oct 04, 2014
What do you actually mean? That your projects must be known by request through email? What is your personal website or your team website? If you cant give a link to one of the projects you did or your own website, then stop blabling. Stop making empty noise. You drive 2009 camry and stay in lekki for building crappy 200k websites when guys are coding web applications that will be a goldmine. Mark Zukerberg never made any noise of the kind of car he drives. He just gave us facebook and today, we all know how rich he is. Focus on the job, and the success will make the noise for u.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by winexviv: 5:38pm On Oct 04, 2014
CreativeWeb:
What do you actually mean? That your projects must be known by request through email? What is your personal website or your team website? If you cant give a link to one of the projects you did or your own website, then stop blabling. Stop making empty noise. You drive 2009 camry and stay in lekki for building crappy 200k websites when guys are coding web applications that will be a goldmine. Mark Zukerberg never made any noise of the kind of car he drives. He just gave us facebook and today, we all know how rich he is. Focus on the job, and the success will make the noise for u.
This is not the purpose of this post. Not to attract insults and i will never insult anybody back. I don't want to advertise myself here. Sharing my projects here is not necessary and besides i never said "reason why i'm the best developer" . I never said i'm the best developer in Nigeria but i believe their something i know which you don't know yet. You need to be a bit humble to learn and step up your game. Mark is one in a billion developers who built such a successful project. If any of my personal projects gets that successful eventually you will know but everyone can't become Mark.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by CreativeWeb(m): 9:15pm On Oct 04, 2014
Everyone cant be Mark and u think everyone can be u. If u build websites for 200k, why do u think people that build websites for 20k or 50k ar stupid? One can build a very big web app for a rediculous amount. Go to freelancer.com. If one has the skill, what stops him from slashing down the price?

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by eliteweb(m): 12:17am On Oct 06, 2014
It's really annoying when u hear some client tells u they can get a website for 10 to 20k.

I spoke to a web designer about 2weeks ago, and he said he charges 7k to design web 4 people in ABUJA for that matter.

Too many roadside designers everywhere spoiling the web development profession.

I believe i spend as much as 10k a month on Data for browsing alone.

We really need to up our game.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by winexviv: 8:47am On Oct 06, 2014
eliteweb:
It's really annoying when u hear some client tells u they can get a website for 10 to 20k.

I spoke to a web designer about 2weeks ago, and he said he charges 7k to design web 4 people in ABUJA for that matter.

Yes bro, you are absolutely right. Imagine if they had paid 1.2 million in ABTECH to learn? Will they still charge that low? Designers need to up their game. Just try at all times to have some money left in the back in other not to be hungry. Reject such jobs and they will increase their budget. Remember improve continuously.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 06, 2014
@winexviv Truth is that its really bad for web devs to charge that low buh sometimes, it depends on the situation at hand. My take is, never venture into web development for clients when u are not up to at least intermediate level... A real developer that knows his Onions can never charge 10k for a web dev job... Your portfolio is enough to land one a decent sum.. The problem we have is that you'll see a dude that learnt a weekend wordpress program and thereafter, mount banners for clients seeking an ecommerce site for 15k. Its a strange country we live in...

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by samyan12: 10:21am On Oct 07, 2014
Op is kinda right. For some reason I cant fathom Nigerian developers dont make much money. My first job after graduation was as a trainee in a software company in Lagos, was paid a measly 60k every month, even the senior developers in d company weren't making up to 200k a month.
To my suprise, here in south Africa even the greenest, low level junior developer takes between 10-15k rands home in a month. I agree Nigerian developers need to start making more money.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by winexviv: 2:41pm On Oct 07, 2014
samyan12:
Op is kinda right. For some reason I cant fathom Nigerian developers dont make much money. My first job after graduation was as a trainee in a software company in Lagos, was paid a measly 60k every month, even the senior developers in d company weren't making up to 200k a month.
To my suprise, here in south Africa even the greenest, low level junior developer takes between 10-15k rands home in a month. I agree Nigerian developers need to start making more money.
Thank God you are really getting my point.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by dayoungmoney1: 6:22pm On Oct 07, 2014
i have great passion for web design/development. i need a software company that can employ me as a trainee so i can learn & also become an expert. i promise to contribute positively to any organization that offers me a place.
ps: i live in lagos.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by Sibrah: 7:04pm On Oct 07, 2014
Op made sense until he started talking about 200k/job, Lekki resident status and cars. I wonder how the 20k a job pple do their jobs. It is not just about charging high but getting the work done well first. Most organisation that pay crap would spend over 400k should they decide to employ someone in house. Add the fact that average website done could take average of 6 weeks (one done creatively) to complete and the cost löng hours of labour and power supply put into it.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by guru01(m): 7:07pm On Oct 07, 2014
winexviv:
I'm not trying to show off guys but we need to stop the 10k - 50k syndrome. This profession should make us. We make people with our codes and sleepless nights. I know someone out there will be motivated to step up his/her game. Concentrate more on value creation, improve continuously and bill clients in proportion to the value given out.
wow its inspiring.
i remember when you charge like 50k.
the truth you have said, when you charge client 10,000 - 50k they feel you can be replaced and your code is insecure.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by guru01(m): 7:10pm On Oct 07, 2014
CreativeWeb:
hey she male, whats your problem with this nigga?
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by guru01(m): 7:13pm On Oct 07, 2014
eliteweb:

wow i thought am the only one who spends the most on data.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by 3RNEST(m): 12:15am On Oct 08, 2014
OP you're kind of right but u spoil the topic by boostinq of ur material thinqz...charge high is kind of gud wen u know the job wella, but the problem is that u don't get more client as compare to wen u charge low...remember money is not everythinq, build the relationship first then cash will flow later...

I'm not a web designer in Nigeria but i do understand the situation on ground, here is Liberia is web design business is kind of different...

#thatmy2cent....
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by onyengbu: 6:46am On Oct 08, 2014
winexviv:
I stay in Lekki and drives a 2009 camry and Range rover sport super charged.
Wow! When did things change so fast?
Was is not in 2012 you came here in nairaland saying you are broke and need jobs?

You later came back to say the jobs were coming and people like me were happy for you.

Early this year you are still living in Enugu where you organised web design training classes.

Things can change really very fast.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by 3RNEST(m): 1:13pm On Oct 08, 2014
onyengbu:

Was is not in 2012 you came here in nairaland saying you are broke and need jobs?

You later came back to say the jobs were coming and people like me were happy for you.

Early this year you are still living in Enugu where you organised web design training classes.

lol so u sabi the nigga grin

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by onyengbu: 1:25pm On Oct 08, 2014
3RNEST:

lol so u sabi the nigga grin
The miracle suprise me ooo.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by osile2012: 3:01pm On Oct 08, 2014
onyengbu:

YOU CAN BE WHOEVER U WANT TO BE ONLINE. THAT IS WHY I LOVE THE INTERNET,THIS IS WHERE PEOPLE LIVE THEIR IMAGINATION. YOU TOO CAN CLAIM TO HAVE 5 HOUSES IN DUBAI, 10 IN LONDON AND 6 OIL FARMS. ALL THESE WERE POSSIBLE BY THE WEB DESIGN JOBS U DID. FEEL FREE TO CLAIM UR OWN.

WE HAVE MADE OVER $1 BILLION FROM THE SITE ON MY SIGNATURE. AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO ANOTHER $20 BILLION NEXT YEAR. WE ARE ACTUALLY PLANNING TO BUY CHELSEA FOOTBALL CLUB NEXT YEAR. grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by skillforce: 3:41pm On Oct 08, 2014
In every profession just like in every there is always the reality of class distinction. Clients in this market also belong to distinct classes. Such distinctions in the packaging, marketing and entrepreneurial capabilities of developers determines the unwritten rulea of engagement as well as the distribution of opportunities and reward. Those charging 10 - 50k may have their rational reasons like immediate need for feeding money.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by Sibrah: 9:10pm On Oct 09, 2014
skillforce:
In every profession just like in every there is always the reality of class distinction. Clients in this market also belong to distinct classes. Such distinctions in the packaging, marketing and entrepreneurial capabilities of developers determines the unwritten rulea of engagement as well as the distribution of opportunities and reward. Those charging 10 - 50k may have their rational reasons like immediate need for feeding money.
I thought about the bold part as a reason also but then the driving principle should be Good Delivery First. Most of those site wouldn't stand the test of time due to Poor quality, down times and inability to be extended. I wonder if those charging 10-50k domake their clients pay for domain names to make up for the low price.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by 3RNEST(m): 1:26pm On Oct 10, 2014
osile2012:

YOU CAN BE WHOEVER U WANT TO BE ONLINE. THAT IS WHY I LOVE THE INTERNET,THIS IS WHERE PEOPLE LIVE THEIR IMAGINATION. YOU TOO CAN CLAIM TO HAVE 5 HOUSES IN DUBAI, 10 IN LONDON AND 6 OIL FARMS. ALL THESE WERE POSSIBLE BY THE WEB DESIGN JOBS U DID. FEEL FREE TO CLAIM UR OWN.

WE HAVE MADE OVER $1 BILLION FROM THE SITE ON MY SIGNATURE. AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO ANOTHER $20 BILLION NEXT YEAR. WE ARE ACTUALLY PLANNING TO BUY CHELSEA FOOTBALL CLUB NEXT YEAR. grin grin grin grin grin

abeg no Kill person with here....LWKMD.... grin grin
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by 3RNEST(m): 1:32pm On Oct 10, 2014
onyengbu:

The miracle suprise me ooo.
lol...na sharp sharp miracle....seriously we naija webmaster we dey charge with sympathy... grin
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by JideTheBlogger(m): 5:45pm On Oct 10, 2014
hmnn..
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by moderatorr: 8:05pm On Oct 10, 2014
Sometimes when i charge clients they start laughing. Some of them will start cajoling you.
A lady had the opportunity to market a banking app for a string of commercial banks, she had all the specs of what the app should do - algorithm, work flow etc
After cost and project requirement analysis,
When i told her it would cost N580k she laugh tire, then shut the phone and refused to negotiate. She called again last week and was complaining about wasting money on a web company and she wanted to know if i knew an already made software she could buy, yes pinnacle 2.x , that's the one first bank uses, go price it!

Sometimes you want to make them understand the intricacies involved in the project and other cost effective means to achieve it, but they don't get it.

Personally i don't do sites for less than 100k for the past 2 years, because i realised that its better i deliver classic and useful websites than a beautiful-on-the surface and useless website.
Most clients who walk away end up wasting their resources on amateur web designers and eventually shut down the site after the first year.
A client once laughed at me and asked "heheeehe you mean this 'simple' accounting app will take you 3 weeks to build? what will you be doing for one month?"
It was funny though.
All the jobs i do now are very client specific and very professional, we help the client get the internet business model right first, then build their site to that effect, that way the site generates income and tracks and retains customers and generates more leads.
This is the most important thing in web development.
It has brought more clients to me in the past two years than ever before. My clients tell others, that's how i sell.
One thing i noticed about many Nigerian "web design" companies is that when a client gives them a contract, they outsource it to Indians! why wont a client price you 15k when they know your company is lacking capable hands, masking algorithmic ignorance in corporate dressing and big grammar.
Web development is first of all pure art (design) , pure science (programming) then pure business (lead generation).
its a complete occupation not a menial job.
Any company that lacks this will always deliver a beautiful white elephant to the client.
As for people doubting the OP, i know him, we used to play basket ball together at colliery back then. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Developers Are Poor by Sibrah: 9:13pm On Oct 10, 2014
Moderatorr, Did you just say u were willing to build a banking app for 580k? What type of banking app is that? MySQL or MSSQL based?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Syskay's Outage - Quick Solution! / How To Easily Configure Your Website For Accepting Payment Via Credit/debit Card / 10 Most Awesome Ideas To Monetize Youtube Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.