Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,350 members, 7,780,942 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:58 AM

VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) (22807 Views)

Dental Health Benefits.... / Your Oral & Dental Health. / Best Dental Clinic In Lagos, Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:40am On Oct 05, 2014
The aim of this topic is to create an avenue where people can be educated about their dental health.
- It will involve giving advises to people about the best way to care for their mouth.
- Proffering of first aid treatment in cases where possible.
-Provision of addresses to where people can receive adequate treatment.
-Posting of articles from time to time to educate people on their dental health.
I pledge to be of help as much as I can.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:48am On Oct 05, 2014
Importance of Dental Health

Good oral health and hygiene is more than just a pretty smile or
ease of chewing and eating. Good oral health impacts general and
overall health throughout a person's life. Oral diseases have been
linked to diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
It is important that dental care starts at a young age. Untreated
cavities in children can result in pain, infection, poor attentiveness
in class, missed school and low self-esteem. Adults can
experience severe oral or facial pain from cavities, gum disease
and other oral infections, most of which can be prevented. Your
dentist can provide preventive care to maintain oral health and
detect problems at an early stage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:53am On Oct 05, 2014
Regular dentist
visits can do more
than keep your smile
attractive – they can
tell dentists a lot
about your overall
health, including
whether or not you
may be developing a
disease like diabetes.
New research suggests that the health of your mouth mirrors
the condition of your body as a whole. For example, when your
mouth is healthy, chances are your overall health is good, too.
On the other hand, if you have poor oral health, you may have
other health problems.
Research also shows that good oral health may actually
prevent certain diseases from occurring.
Gum disease and health complications
According to the Academy of General Dentistry, there is a
relationship between gum (periodontal) disease and health
complications such as a stroke and heart disease. Women
with gum disease also show higher incidences of pre-term,
low birth-weight babies.
Other research shows that more than 90 percent of all
systemic diseases (diseases involving many organs or the
whole body) have oral manifestations, including swollen
gums, mouth ulcers, dry mouth and excessive gum problems.
Such diseases include:
Diabetes
Leukemia
Oral cancer
Pancreatic cancer
Heart disease
Kidney disease
Since most people have regular oral examinations, their
dentist may be the first health care provider to diagnose a
health problem in its early stages.
Poor oral health can lead to problems
If you don't take care of your teeth and gums, your poor oral
hygiene can actually lead to other health problems, including:
Oral and facial pain. According to the Office of the
Surgeon General, this pain may be largely due to infection
of the gums that support the teeth and can lead to tooth
loss. Gingivitis, an early stage of gum disease, and
advanced gum disease affect more than 75 percent of the
U.S. population.
Problems with the heart and other major organs. Mouth
infections can affect major organs. For example, the heart
and heart valves can become inflamed by bacterial
endocarditis, a condition that affects people with heart
disease or anyone with damaged heart tissue.
Digestion problems. Digestion begins with physical and
chemical processes in the mouth, and problems here can
lead to intestinal failure, irritable bowel syndrome and
other digestive disorders.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 10:04am On Oct 05, 2014
What you can do

Seeing a dentist regularly helps to keep your mouth in top
shape and allows your dentist to watch for developments that
may point to other health issues. A dental exam can also
detect poor nutrition and hygiene, growth and development
problems and improper jaw alignment. Provide your dentist
with a complete medical history and inform him or her of any
recent health developments, even if they seem unrelated to
your oral health.
At home, you can practice good oral hygiene:
Brush for two to three minutes, at least twice a day, with
fluoridated toothpaste.
Floss daily to remove plaque from places your toothbrush
can't reach.
Eat a healthy diet to provide the nutrients necessary
(vitamins A and C, in particular) to prevent gum disease.
Avoid cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, which may
contribute to gum disease and oral cancer.
Exercise preventive care and schedule regular dental
checkups — the surest way to detect early signs of
periodontal disease.

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by madgoat(m): 10:08am On Oct 05, 2014
Are u a dentist?
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 10:11am On Oct 05, 2014
madgoat:
Are u a dentist?
yh, a dentist
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by funshint(m): 10:14am On Oct 05, 2014
Pls where in Nigeria can one get the cheapest dental implant done? Tanx!
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 10:21am On Oct 05, 2014
funshint:
Pls where in Nigeria can one get the cheapest dental implant done? Tanx!
Dat would be in federal hospitals, in which I would recommend luth cos there it's a bit subsided compared to private clinic where they can be a bit expensive. But if u don't mind, re u d one that wants to get one?.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 12:40pm On Oct 05, 2014
Today I will be posting on brushing and how to avoid the 10 most common brushing mistakes.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 5:34pm On Oct 05, 2014
BRUSHING

It is important that you know how to brush your teeth properly to prevent conditions such as gingivitis and tooth decay. Incorrect brushing technique can also lead to tooth
abrasion, a condition in which the surface of the tooth is worn away. The number one cause of tooth abrasion is from a toothbrush. The delicate gum tissue is also at risk for
damage from the toothbrush bristles, causing tooth sensitivity from exposed root surfaces. Follow these instructions, and learn how to brush your teeth properly.
This technique is also recommended when assisting a child or someone who needs help with their brushing. Here's How:

1. Apply a thin strip of toothpaste on your premoistenedtoothbrush.
2. Start with the upper left molars (back teeth) concentrating on the front surface of the tooth; you will be working in a clockwise direction from there. The average toothbrush head will cover 2 to 3 teeth at a time.
3. Hold the toothbrush parallel to your teeth, and point the bristles in the direction of the tissue, so they are resting slightly below the gumline. Apply slight pressure to the bristles, so they are slightly bent.
4. Gently move the brush in a circular motion for approximately 20 brush strokes, or roughly 10 seconds.
5. When brush strokes are complete, roll the bristles away from the gum tissue in a sweeping motion.
6. Continue the above steps until all of the front surfaces of the top and bottom teeth have been cleaned.
7. Moving on to the inside surfaces of the teeth, repeat steps 2 to 5 for the upper and lower premolars and molars.
8. When you are ready to clean the inside surface of the front teeth, known as the lingual surface, take the tip of the toothbrush, and in a flicking motion, direct the toothbrush from the gumline down. Do this 2 to 3 times.
9. Follow step 8 for the inside of the lower front teeth, but this time the flick will be directed up, again, away from the gumline. Do this 2 to 3 times.
10. Brush the biting surface of the upper and lower premolars and molars.
11. Gently brush your tongue and the inside of your cheeks.
12. Finish by rinsing with water or mouthwash.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Aidy97(f): 6:57am On Oct 06, 2014
pauloshevy:
Today I will be posting on brushing and how to avoid the 10 most common brushing mistakes.
A friend of mine has a hole in the tooth,and its really painful any remedy for that?
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:21am On Oct 06, 2014
Aidy97:

A friend of mine has a hole in the tooth,and its really painful any remedy for that?
yh, dere are remedies but dat depends on d nature of pain she's experiencing. If d pain comes during wen she's eating, nd it sharp, she would need to do amalgam filling but if it's comes on its own nd wakes ha up wen she's sleeping, den she would need to do a pulp therapy and cap it, or extract it as a last resort. She should goan see a dentist or if she doesn't know where one is, she can come to luth. But for first aid, she can take ibuprofen 400 mg, tds.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Aidy97(f): 12:47pm On Oct 06, 2014
pauloshevy:
yh, dere are remedies but dat depends on d nature of pain she's experiencing. If d pain comes during wen she's eating, nd it sharp, she would need to do amalgam filling but if it's comes on its own nd wakes ha up wen she's sleeping, den she would need to do a pulp therapy and cap it, or extract it as a last resort. She should goan see a dentist or if she doesn't know where one is, she can come to luth. But for first aid, she can take ibuprofen 400 mg, tds.
Thanks a lot
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 6:44pm On Oct 06, 2014
Aidy97:

Thanks a lot
ure welcome
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 6:45pm On Oct 06, 2014
So today, now that we know how to brush, we would be talking about the common brushing mistakes and how to avoid them.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 6:48pm On Oct 06, 2014
Common Toothbrushing Mistakes and How to Fix Them

Admit it -- brushing your teeth is so second nature you barely
think about it. But doing it right is a key part of good oral health,
and it can help you avoid cavities and gum disease.
Brush up on your skills with these easy-to-follow tips.
1. Choose the Right Tool
Do you have the right toothbrush? Think about the size of your mouth, If you are straining to open wide enough to let the brush in, the brush is probably too big.
It should feel good in your mouth and hand, so you’ll use it often. Know your bristles. If they're too stiff, they can hurt your guys Go for one with medium consistency I. E one that is not too hard which is for smokers or one that is too soft which is for children.
2. Give It Time
Are you brushing enough? Twice a day is recommended. Most preferably,in the morning and last thing at night. You should brush for at least 2 minutes, you divide your mouth into four sections and spend at least 30 seconds on each.
3. Don’t Overdo It
Brushing more than three times a day might non be ideal,that's because too much brushing can wear down tooth enamel and damage your gums. Also,“don’t bear down too hard, use light force. Don't brush like ure washing jeans or gutter. Be gentle.
4. Perfect Your Technique
Are you brushing correctly? Wide, side-to-side strokes can cause scrapes along your gum line.Hold your brush at a 45-degree angle to your gums, and make an up-and-down motion. Use short strokes. Brush outer and inner tooth surfaces, back molars, and your tongue. “Don’t forget about those hard-to-reach areas, so you have to be thorough.
5. Switch Things Up
Do you always begin brushing in the same place? Dentists say most of us do."Start in a different place so that you don't get lazy.By the time you get to the last area of your mouth, you may be bored. Stay aware of what you’re doing.Keep track of where you are going and where you have been. Make it to all the surfaces.
6. Pick Products Wisely
The kind of toothpaste you use matter. The things that brighten or control tartar can be harsh. “An increase in whitening particles can be harmful and sand away tooth structure.
Go back to plain old fluoride toothpaste, If you want to lighten your smile, you can always switch between whitening toothpaste and regular.conds on each.
7. Control Your Sour Tooth
Energy drinks, diet sodas, and sour candies, even healthy things like apple juice, orange juice, and coffee have acid that can soften too. If you do go for sour goodies, wait half an hour before you brush, that gives your saliva time to restore tooth enamel. The
mechanical action of brushing softened teeth is the perfect recipe for wearing away your enamel.
8. Keep It Clean
Do you always rinse your brush? You should. Germs from your mouth and teeth can stay on it if you don't, it will also get rid of leftover toothpaste that can harden bristles.
You shouldn’t use a disinfectant to cleanse your toothbrush. Just rinse it and let it air dry. Don't put it in a case where it will stay damp for a long time.
9. Avoid Potty Mouth
Most of us store our brushes in the bathroom -- not the cleanest place in the house.To keep yours tidy, stand it up in a holder. If you leave it on the counter, you could expose it to germs from your toilet or sink. Don’t let brushes touch each other if they’re stored together. Let it air dry -- a moist brush is more likely to grow bacteria. Use a cover that lets air in when you travel.
10. Let It Go
How old is your toothbrush? The ADA suggests you get a new brush every 3 or 4 months.
You can also look at the bristles, Once the bristles lose their normal flexibility and start to break apart, change your toothbrush. Frayed or broken bristles won’t clean your teeth as well . if you can’t decide which toothbrush to buy, ask your dentist what kind is best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 6:54pm On Oct 06, 2014
I hope u find it useful and try applying it.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Nobody: 10:17pm On Oct 06, 2014
Nice thread...#following# cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 10:31pm On Oct 06, 2014
Wsfirstlady:
Nice thread...#following# cool
Thank u. I hope u find it useful and educative.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 12:32pm On Oct 07, 2014
In cases of people that have questions or suggestions, ur comments will be highly appreciated and promptly attended to.

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Oct 07, 2014
pauloshevy:
Thank u. I hope u find it useful and educative.
yes, I do... keep updating plz
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by haibe(m): 3:23pm On Oct 07, 2014
I have a hole in my tooth and I can't eat with it, the pains comes randomly, even without chewing with it. I don't feel any pain currently though. Pls any remedy?
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 3:50pm On Oct 07, 2014
haibe:
I have a hole in my tooth and I can't eat with it, the pains comes randomly, even without chewing with it. I don't feel any pain currently though. Pls any remedy?
from what u said, it's indicating u av irreversible pulpitis, but if it's tender to percussive I. E it's painful wen u touch or hit it, den we maybe be looking towards something more serious like apical periodontitis. Solution is u going to a dentist soonest to either do a pulp therapy to remove the infected pulp nd cap it or extract it if u want. If u don't know where a dentist is, come over to luth, idi Araba nd u will get adequate treatment. But for first aid, u can take ibuprofen 400mb tds.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by haibe(m): 6:08pm On Oct 07, 2014
pauloshevy:
from what u said, it's indicating u av irreversible pulpitis, but if it's tender to percussive I. E it's painful wen u touch or hit it, den we maybe be looking towards something more serious like apical periodontitis. Solution is u going to a dentist soonest to either do a pulp therapy to remove the infected pulp nd cap it or extract it if u want. If u don't know where a dentist is, come over to luth, idi Araba nd u will get adequate treatment. But for first aid, u can take ibuprofen 400mb tds.

Thanks I heard my school even directs dental issues to Luth as they don't treat it at the medical centre here.

How are their charges at Luth by the way?
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:20pm On Oct 07, 2014
[quote author=haibe post=26947303]

Thanks I heard my school even directs dental issues to Luth as they don't treat it at the medical centre here.

How are their charges at Luth by the way?[/quote. If I may ask, what school do u attend. Well for the procedures I listed, the pulp therapy is 9k,25k for crowning it. Whereas extraction is 3k. for either process u would av to register which is 1k, take radiographs which is 400 for one, and u would also need scaling and polishing which is 1k. I hope d info is useful.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by haibe(m): 9:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
[quote author=pauloshevy post=26952086][/quote]yea, Unilag
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 10:15pm On Oct 07, 2014
haibe:
yea, Unilag
OK then. Hope u go and get the treatment soon.

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by haibe(m): 1:47pm On Oct 09, 2014
pauloshevy:
OK then. Hope u go and get the treatment soon.
Am at LUTH waiting for an X - Ray but no light. The dentist talked about a root canal treatment and scaling and polishing as against extraction, she wants a X ray report to know how deep the hole is.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 6:23pm On Oct 09, 2014
haibe:
Am at LUTH waiting for an X - Ray but no light. The dentist talked about a root canal treatment and scaling and polishing as against extraction, she wants a X ray report to know how deep the hole is.
OK, the pulp therapy I. E the root canal is the better option if dere is still enough sound tooth structure. So I will advise u go for it, but it depends on ur pocket sha. I'm also in luth, so maybe u can Holla at me wen next ure in luth, so I can see how the treatment is going.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by haibe(m): 6:47pm On Oct 09, 2014
pauloshevy:
OK, the pulp therapy I. E the root canal is the better option if dere is still enough sound tooth structure. So I will advise u go for it, but it depends on ur pocket sha. I'm also in luth, so maybe u can Holla at me wen next ure in luth, so I can see how the treatment is going.

Alright, I should be there tomorrow to continue treatment, all that was done today was scaling and polishing which had little or no effect on the pain I have.

The doctor that was supposed to commence the root carnal treatment gave an excuse of not having a sterilised equipment, I wonder why this is a case. Anyway I am still in pains. I hope something is done tomorrow. However I won't be paying from my pocket this time but I will be using the NHIS(National Healh Insurance Scheme) for the bills. Will get it from school today.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 8:16pm On Oct 12, 2014
I've not posted anything recently cos I've been a bit busy but today I will posting an article on PERICORONITIS. U might wondering of what importance is dis, well pericoronitis is one of the most common dental illness dat affects young people in their late teens nd early twenties.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 8:52pm On Oct 12, 2014
PERICORONITIS
This is a dental condition that involves the inflammation of the gum tissues surrounding the crown of a tooth,usually occurs in a partially erupted or impacted tooth. The tooth most often affected is the mandibular 3rd molar or wisdom tooth that erupts in most people in their late teens or early twenties. Commonly affected are people between ages of 17 to 24.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Tips Do You Have To A Flatter Tummy? / PLEASE HELP !!!, Yellow Fluids Comes Out Of My Nose When Ever I Bend Deep.(pics) / 20 Million Nigerians Have Kidney Diseases - Nephrologists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.