Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,321 members, 7,808,080 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) (22900 Views)

Dental Health Benefits.... / Your Oral & Dental Health. / Best Dental Clinic In Lagos, Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by nyabingi(m): 9:12pm On Oct 12, 2014
thanks for the info ur sharing with us
I usually experience a sharp shock like pains on my last tooth on left near the ear, it has resulted to me chewing with only right one and its already showing on my chins, the right chin gets bigger while the left one gets smaller, please what is the remedy?
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:19pm On Oct 12, 2014
The partially erupted or impacted mandibular third molar is the most common site of pericoronitis. The space between the crown of the tooth and the overlying gingival flap is an ideal area for the accumulation of food debris and bacterial growth. Even in patients with no clinical signs or symptoms, the gingival flap is often chronically inflamed and infected and has varying degrees of ulceration along its inner surface. Acute inflammatory involvement is a constant possibility

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:43pm On Oct 12, 2014
TYPES
Pericoronitis may be acute, sub-acute, or chronic.
Acute Pericoronitis is when there are associated symptoms such as fever, swelling and severe pain which may indicate a spreading infection.
Chronic pericoronitis is a mild persistent inflammation of the area. It can also be recurrent in cases where there have been 2 or more acute episodes in a 2 year period.

What could cause pericoronitis?
Pericoronitis is normally caused by a mixture of bacterial species present in d mouth that can be brought on by:
~food debris getting trapped beneath the gum over the partially unerupted tooth<e.g wisdom tooth> and then causing an infection by the actions of these bacteria on the food debris.
~trauma from the opposing tooth biting down on top of the affected tooth
~bad oral hygiene in that area
~stress

What are the signs and symptoms?
-pain
-fever
-infection
-swelling in the gum tissue(caused by an accumulation of fluid)
-a bad taste in the mouth(caused by pus leaking from the gums)
-bad breath
-dysphagia(difficulty in swallowing)
More severe symptoms include:
-swollen lymph nodes under the chin(the submandibular nodes)
-difficulty opening the mouth
-swelling on the affected side of the face

How is pericoronitis diagnosed?
Pericoronitis is diagnosed normally with a clinical exam. Inflamed gum tissue in the area of the affected tooth which is partially or totally unerupted. The gums may be red, swollen or draining fluid/pus.

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:53pm On Oct 12, 2014
A dental xray can be used also to assess and rule out other possible causes for pain such as dental caries/decay.

Prevention of pericoronitis?
It can be prevented by practicing good oral hygiene on any erupting wisdom tooth to make sure that food particles and bacteria don’t accumulate under the gums. It can also be achieved by removing impacted 3rd molars before they erupt into the mouth.

What is the treatment for pericoronitis?
Various methods for treatment of pericoronitis usually depends on the severity of the condition
Management of pain and resolving the infection usually e.g by taking painkillers such as acetaminophen,ibuprofen
Draining of the area if pus is present
Cleaning/washing the affected area with Chlorhexidine to remove trapped food particles
By taking antibiotics to reduce the infection/fever e.g penicillin,erythromycin
Minor surgery to remove the overlapping gum tissues(operculectomy). This will allow better access to properly clean the area and prevent accumulation of bacteria and food debris
Removal of the tooth is a common treatment method

Some home treatments that may be effective include:
Thorough and gentle brushing of the area to break up plaque or food trapped in.
Rinsing with warm salt water can help soothe the area.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:59pm On Oct 12, 2014
nyabingi:
thanks for the info ur sharing with us
I usually experience a sharp shock like pains on my last tooth on left near the ear, it has resulted to me chewing with only right one and its already showing on my chins, the right chin gets bigger while the left one gets smaller, please what is the remedy?
is d last tooth fully erupted?, if it is, it sounds like u av an hole in d tooth, dats y u feel pain wen food lodges dere. What u can do is to goan see a dentist for proper examination nd treatment, if u don't know where one is, u can come to luth.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Chiefigho: 10:18pm On Oct 12, 2014
Hello doc, thanks for all ur insight and free consultations,God bless u... I hav a dobble tooth( like over lapping tooth) in my front set tooth, i will like to know if its posible to pull it out and rearrange it and also the posible cost inplication.... Can i hav ur number also please?
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 8:04am On Oct 13, 2014
Chiefigho:
Hello doc, thanks for all ur insight and free consultations,God bless u... I hav a dobble tooth( like over lapping tooth) in my front set tooth, i will like to know if its posible to pull it out and rearrange it and also the posible cost inplication.... Can i hav ur number also please?
Thank you, God bless you too. Yh, it's very possible and u can also re arrange it by orthodontic treatment. In luth where I am, removal is 3k per tooth, while ur orthodontic treatment is in the range of 90k. My number is 08063730309, would be expecting ur call.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Malizzy(f): 4:07pm On Oct 13, 2014
please help me,my 2yrs+ girl has sores in her mouth and now her gum will bleed from a single touch, although weve been to d hospital but d pain is too much for her because she doesnt sleep at night.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Nobody: 5:35pm On Oct 13, 2014
Hey op, I have been growing my wisdom tooth for like a year now, and it's yet to form fully, food/left over easily get stuck there and I feel pains/sores occasionally, I went to see a dentist he prescribed some medications but m yet to feel a relief..... my qst nw is; has it Nt taken too long for the tooths to fully develop?
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 6:47pm On Oct 13, 2014
Malizzy:
please help me,my 2yrs+ girl has sores in her mouth and now her gum will bleed from a single touch, although weve been to d hospital but d pain is too much for her because she doesnt sleep at night.
from what u said, sores in a 2yrs old girl can result from different origins ranging from bacteria to viral infections. Re d sores on her gums, palate, lips?, is her gums enlarged, red or swollen, nd is d presence of d sores associated with fever nd chills. Also when u went to d hospital, what did the doctor say.

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 6:55pm On Oct 13, 2014
Wsfirstlady:
Hey op, I have been growing my wisdom tooth for like a year now, and it's yet to form fully, food/left over easily get stuck there and I feel pains/sores occasionally, I went to see a dentist he prescribed some medications but m yet to feel a relief..... my qst nw is; has it Nt taken too long for the tooths to fully develop?
Hello, hope you're good. Well, d eruption of d wisdom tooth is between 17 to 24 years, so if u fall into dis age bracket, ure still on track. Pls read my post on pericoronitis above about the home treatments u can do. Which medications did he prescribe for u?.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Nobody: 8:00pm On Oct 13, 2014
pauloshevy:
Hello, hope you're good. Well, d eruption of d wisdom tooth is between 17 to 24 years, so if u fall into dis age bracket, ure still on track. Pls read my post on pericoronitis above about the home treatments u can do. Which medications did he prescribe for u?.
it ws some few months back, I can't recall the names.... so hw long does it take d wisdom tooth to fully erupt?........ meanwhile, I currently use sensodyne toothpaste and listerine mouth wash, nothing els. Awaiting ur reply, thanks op.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 12:06am On Oct 14, 2014
Wsfirstlady:
it ws some few months back, I can't recall the names.... so hw long does it take d wisdom tooth to fully erupt?........ meanwhile, I currently use sensodyne toothpaste and listerine mouth wash, nothing els. Awaiting ur reply, thanks op.
dere is no specific time frame, as it's eruption is influenced by factors e.g enough space in the mouth, if u av small or big jaws, if it's impacted or not, e.t.c. So don't be scared, it hasn't taken too long..
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Nobody: 8:28am On Oct 14, 2014
pauloshevy:
dere is no specific time frame, as it's eruption is influenced by factors e.g enough space in the mouth, if u av small or big jaws, if it's impacted or not, e.t.c. So don't be scared, it hasn't taken too long..
sad sad sad, Thnks for sharing ur knowledge and time.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:43am On Oct 14, 2014
Wsfirstlady:
sad sad sad, Thnks for sharing ur knowledge and time.
ure welcome.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Malizzy(f): 1:43pm On Oct 14, 2014
pauloshevy:
from what u said, sores in a 2yrs old girl can result from different origins ranging from bacteria to viral infections. Re d sores on her gums, palate, lips?, is her gums enlarged, red or swollen, nd is d presence of d sores associated with fever nd chills. Also when u went to d hospital, what did the doctor say.
the sores are on her lips ,tougue and som part of her gum is swollen nd red,although d sores av reduce but d rediness and swollen in her gum are still there.D doctor prescribe some drugs which av been usin for her but she doesnt tell us what caused it.Please can u tell me d cause and how to prevent it. tnx so much i really appreciate ur response
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 4:36pm On Oct 14, 2014
Malizzy:

the sores are on her lips ,tougue and som part of her gum is swollen nd red,although d sores av reduce but d rediness and swollen in her gum are still there.D doctor prescribe some drugs which av been usin for her but she doesnt tell us what caused it.Please can u tell me d cause and how to prevent it. tnx so much i really appreciate ur response
OK. I can't tell u d cause cos I haven't seen d sores . But from what uve said,I'm thinking it's of a viral original I. E primary herpetic infection. Discuss with ur doctor about dis. Since I'm not sure of d cause, I can't say d treatment. But u can give her oral fluids, analgesics like ibuprofen cos it's anti inflammatory, d sores should resolve. But if it doesn't, u can get acyclovir and apply topically, dis is an antiviral drug.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 11:34am On Oct 15, 2014
Good day, everyone. So our next article will be on an interesting topic affecting many people, that if not properly treated, tends to have big negative psychological effect on sufferers.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by haibe(m): 12:48pm On Oct 15, 2014
Am at LUTH presently, how can I reach you.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 2:07pm On Oct 15, 2014
haibe:
Am at LUTH presently, how can I reach you.
call me on 08063730309, 07055481409.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by haibe(m): 2:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
pauloshevy:
call me on 08063730309, 07055481409.

Uh I got this late, I have left already. Another appointment was given to me. If I may ask, how important is crowning, after a root carnal treatment and how much does it cost.. Thanks.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 10:05pm On Oct 15, 2014
haibe:

Uh I got this late, I have left already. Another appointment was given to me. If I may ask, how important is crowning, after a root carnal treatment and how much does it cost.. Thanks.
OK, maybe wen next ure coming. It's important cos it offers protection thereby preventing fracture of the tooth which can lead to failure of d of d rct, prevents reinfection, prevents coronal leakage nd many other advantages. So it's very important that u crown it. It's in d range of 20 K to crown.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 7:35pm On Oct 17, 2014
If u have any dental issues, or have questions, u can post it here or can call me on 08063730309.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by haibe(m): 10:29pm On Oct 17, 2014
pauloshevy:
OK, maybe wen next ure coming. It's important cos it offers protection thereby preventing fracture of the tooth which can lead to failure of d of d rct, prevents reinfection, prevents coronal leakage nd many other advantages. So it's very important that u crown it. It's in d range of 20 K to crown.

wow 20k is so much
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 8:45am On Oct 18, 2014
haibe:

wow 20k is so much
OK. But d advantages outweigh d cost in d long run.

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:00am On Oct 18, 2014
So the next article will be on halitosis I. E bad breath, mouth odour. I hope we find it useful, educative nd informative.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Ty207: 9:39am On Oct 18, 2014
I was in luth 2days ago for my dental issue....i have so many problem i don't even know where to start from...all i know is that am not comfortable at all!!!.....i was attended to by a student doctor and now my case has been forward to orthodontic ward...my first appointment is 2/3week in nov.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 8:25am On Oct 20, 2014
Ty207:
I was in luth 2days ago for my dental issue....i have so many problem i don't even know where to start from...all i know is that am not comfortable at all!!!.....i was attended to by a student doctor and now my case has been forward to orthodontic ward...my first appointment is 2/3week in nov.
OK. Hope u were treated well. Don't worry, ure in safe hands in luth.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by sunday185: 10:22am On Oct 21, 2014
gud mornin doc..i always xperience bleedin wen eva am brushin ma teeth nd i dnt knw wat to do..pls i nid ur hlp..
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 3:57pm On Oct 22, 2014
Hello everyone. I'm sorry I've not been posting recently, been a bit busy. So today, I would be posting an article on BLEEDING GUMS as it's a very common problem.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 4:11pm On Oct 22, 2014
BLEEDING GUMS
What Are Bleeding Gums?

Bleeding gums are most often a sign of gum disease, but can also point to a number of other health problems. Occasional bleeding of the gums can be the result of brushing your teeth too vigorously or wearing dentures that do not fit correctly. Frequent episodes of gum bleeding, however, can indicate more serious conditions, such as:

periodontitis (an advanced form of gum disease)
leukemia (cancer of the blood)
vitamin deficiency

Dental Conditions That Can Cause Bleeding Gums

Dental care issues are the primary cause of bleeding gums. Gingivitis (inflammation of the gums) and periodontitis make your gums sensitive and more prone to bleeding. Most people develop gingivitis when plaque remains too long on the gum line.
Plaque refers to the debris and bacteria that sticks to your teeth. Brushing your teeth removes plaque and can prevent you from developing dental caries , also called cavities. Plaque may stay on your gum line, however, if you do not brush and floss properly. The accumulation of plaque near your gums can cause gingivitis.
Symptoms of gingivitis include:
puffy gums
soreness in the mouth and around the gums
bleeding gums

According to the American Dental Association (ADA), periodontal disease, or periodontitis, can occur when gingivitis continues to an advanced stage. Periodontal disease is the infection of the gums, jawbone, and supportive tissues that connect your teeth and gums ( ADA ,2012). Periodontitis can cause your teeth to become loose
or fall out.
Denture wearers may also experience bleeding of the gums from time to time. This is more likely when the dentures are too small or fit too tightly. If dentures or other oral appliances are causing your gums to bleed, consult your dentist or orthodontist. You may need to take new impressions to create a better-fitting mouthpiece.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 4:17pm On Oct 22, 2014
Vitamin Deficiencies

Deficiencies of vitamins C and K can also cause gums to bleed easily. Follow a diet that contains both of these nutrients to ensure that you are getting the vitamins you need to stay healthy.
Foods rich in vitamin C include:
citrus fruits and juices
broccoli
strawberries
tomatoes
potatoes
bell peppers

Foods rich in vitamin K include:
spinach
lettuce
soybeans
canola oil
olive oil

Other Causes of Bleeding Gums
Pregnancy is a common cause of gum bleeding among women. The hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy can cause the gums to become more sensitive. Bleeding disorders, such as hemophilia and leukemia, can also increase your chance of having bleeding gums. Your gums might also bleed more often if you take blood-thinning medications. Drugs in this class include warfarin, aspirin, and heparin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Strange Disease Kills 57 In Igboeze North, Enugu State / Jonathan - No Nigerian To Die Of HIV Henceforth / Teenager Commits Suicide In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.