Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,086 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These (7333 Views)

10 Things That Youths in Church Are Guilty Of / "I Don’t Feel Guilty." / If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by MizMyColi(f): 9:20pm On Oct 05, 2014

I first shared with my buddies on here, few days ago.
I thought to share here, hoping that it might resonate with a few (at least) and help them know that they're never really alone.

As people shed religion and walk in freedom, they can
feel guilt about the changes they are going through.
Thinking about this I identified 5 things not to feel
guilty about on your spiritual journey.

1. You may discontinue your active involvement in a
church or religious organization.
This doesn’t
necessarily have to be some sort of judgment
or condemnation against the church or organization
you were part of, but a choice you make because your
involvement no longer relates to or supports where
you are on the journey, or may be an obstacle and
hindrance to it.

2. You may grow weary of incessant God talk. It’s
possible there will be times when you grow sick of the
constant theological discussion and debate, and the
never-ending wheel of new and improved concepts,
beliefs, understandings, teachings, etc. At some point
it all might sound like, “Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah…”

You might fall dead to the need to be constantly
figuring out things with your mind or in your head.
One day you might wake up and say, “Okay, I’m done!”
Don’t feel bad about this. It actually may be a very
important milestone in your spiritual journey. In my
view, theology is not even the best way by which God
and spiritual truth is known. It may be that subject of
“God” as a whole feels a bit overdone and boring, but
this is only because you were taught to equate God
with all that blah blah blah stuff.

3. You may find that the very people your religion
judged and condemned are the people you find the
most interesting and enjoyable.

[Ditto: Apatheist, Xcapist, Goofyone Phillip wink]

Once you come out
from under the judgmental labels, views and
stereotypes you learned through religion, you start
realizing how much you truly like and enjoy the
people you were taught to hate. This is a good and
liberating aspect of shedding religion. For too long
you were shut yourself off from a lot of beautiful and
extraordinary people in this world to enjoy and learn
from.

4. You may find and express a rebellious or defiant
part of you that has been dormant.
Don’t feel bad
about this. Too often religion turns people into nice,
compliant, repressed, timid, inhibited, mannerly,
obedient, fearful, amiable, submissive people. By the
way, I would not use any of these words to describe
Jesus. Here’s the deal, you can be a loving,
compassionate, respectful and kind person AND be a
rebellious, defiant, passionate, disobedient,
subversive, nonconformist, mischievous, self-willed,
fully expressed, freethinker, heretic, and free spirit
human being.

5. You may find less fulfillment in religious things, and
more satisfaction in human things. It’s okay and good
to be human, and to enjoy each moment of your
human journey. Religion caused many people to
create a false division between “sacred” things and
“secular” things. There is no such line. All of life is
sacred, spiritual, and divine. There’s no need to
defend, theologize, or spiritualize your human
experience. Just live it! That is enough. Life is made
complete by you living each moment. There’s no need
to maintain a running commentary about how God is
part of it. God IS part of it. Life and God are
inseparable. End of story. It’s okay to enjoy life,
experience delight and pleasure, do the things you
enjoy doing, and that breathe life into you, whatever
those things may be.

Have Fun.

Jim's blog

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by Tallesty1(m): 9:23pm On Oct 05, 2014
Observing
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by Nobody: 9:31pm On Oct 05, 2014
Feeling condemned and guilty is certainly not of God , its the devil that constantly condemns us and we often times mistake it for God .

Ma'am am so glad you used religion because religion bring people away from God these days instead of closer , religion makes you always see your faults .

drops pen , I think am beginning to get confusing grin

2 Likes

Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by Feraz(m): 9:41pm On Oct 05, 2014
*parks my car here*

1 Like

Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by chibwike(m): 9:51pm On Oct 05, 2014
MizMyColi hw was church service today
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by MizMyColi(f): 9:53pm On Oct 05, 2014
chibwike:
MizMyColi hw was church service today

shocked
See Setup cool

Lolest Dear.
Church was fine smiley
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by chibwike(m): 9:55pm On Oct 05, 2014
MizMyColi:

shocked
See Setup cool

Lolest Dear.
Church was fine smiley
wat and wat did you learn from todays preachings...even if its just one thing
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 05, 2014
*climbs orange tree to pluck some oranges*

will comment when I get down grin
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by MizMyColi(f): 10:06pm On Oct 05, 2014
That's not what this thread is about wink
chibwike:
wat and wat did you learn from todays preachings...even if its just one thing
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by chibwike(m): 10:07pm On Oct 05, 2014
MizMyColi:
That's not what this thread is about wink
Ehen....maybe i wud send u a pm
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by asalimpo(m): 10:08pm On Oct 05, 2014
I agree with the damage part.
Especially damage caused by christian religion.
I mean christianity with tradition added into it.like is d case with most christianity.
Any1 who comes into typical christian circles will find out tht most people ar just puttg up a show. Theyve learnt to say the right things, put up the right acts but inside most are hollow.
Most are not genuine. It's all a charade. Which makes me ask, if u aint into it y pretend. Wats d point.
It is this pretendg tht makes it burdensome. One day the viel will come off and the true person will b unvielled.

Religion,speakg of Christianity doesnt teach you to hate.
Tht statement shud b qualified and corrected.

1 Like

Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by emmyskies(m): 10:13pm On Oct 05, 2014
Perfect feelings for church-goers not christians
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by MabraO: 6:08pm On Oct 07, 2014
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 07, 2014
Elantracey:
Feeling condemned and guilty is certainly not of God , its the devil that constantly condemns us and we often times mistake it for God .
Madam, please stop this blasphemy. Only God condemns. Satan does not. He loves you the way you are.

1 Like

Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 07, 2014
Op, I really really like you.
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by ihedinobi2: 6:34pm On Oct 07, 2014
I quit church for a while. Got away from the God talk too. Hung out with the not-crazy-about-God crowd too. It wasn't guilt that took me back from all that, it was a sense of emptiness like I was missing something. It was a sense nobody else in that crowd shared. But why would they? They had to have seen what I had seen to miss it too.

If the bible is true, those who get away from Christianity and find a fit with the outsiders never belonged in the first place. I can attest that there is something intangible that comes with becoming a Christian that makes it impossible to rest easy away from other believers and the "God talk".

8 Likes

Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by MizMyColi(f): 7:25pm On Oct 07, 2014
sonOfLucifer:
Op, I really really like you.

Waow! I'm thrilled.
Thanks smiley
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 07, 2014
ihedinobi2:
I quit church for a while. Got away from the God talk too. Hung out with the not-crazy-about-God crowd too. It wasn't guilt that took me back from all that, it was a sense of emptiness like I was missing something. It was a sense nobody else in that crowd shared. But why would they? They had to have seen what I had seen to miss it too.

If the bible is true, those who get away from Christianity and find a fit with the outsiders never belonged in the first place. I can attest that there is something intangible that comes with becoming a Christian that makes it impossible to rest easy away from other believers and the "God talk".

Hi bro. Just wondering... What took you out of the church in the first place? undecided
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by ihedinobi2: 8:02pm On Oct 07, 2014
Xcapist:

Hi bro. Just wondering... What took you out of the church in the first place? undecided

I felt stifled.
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by Dayjhihannon01(m): 8:14pm On Oct 07, 2014
MizMyColi:

I first shared with my buddies on here, few days ago.
I thought to share here, hoping that it might resonate with a few (at least) and help them know that they're never really alone.

As people shed religion and walk in freedom, they can
feel guilt about the changes they are going through.
Thinking about this I identified 5 things not to feel
guilty about on your spiritual journey.

1. You may discontinue your active involvement in a
church or religious organization.
This doesn’t
necessarily have to be some sort of judgment
or condemnation against the church or organization
you were part of, but a choice you make because your
involvement no longer relates to or supports where
you are on the journey, or may be an obstacle and
hindrance to it.

2. You may grow weary of incessant God talk. It’s
possible there will be times when you grow sick of the
constant theological discussion and debate, and the
never-ending wheel of new and improved concepts,
beliefs, understandings, teachings, etc. At some point
it all might sound like, “Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah…”

You might fall dead to the need to be constantly
figuring out things with your mind or in your head.
One day you might wake up and say, “Okay, I’m done!”
Don’t feel bad about this. It actually may be a very
important milestone in your spiritual journey. In my
view, theology is not even the best way by which God
and spiritual truth is known. It may be that subject of
“God” as a whole feels a bit overdone and boring, but
this is only because you were taught to equate God
with all that blah blah blah stuff.

3. You may find that the very people your religion
judged and condemned are the people you find the
most interesting and enjoyable.

[Ditto: Apatheist, Xcapist, Goofyone Phillip wink]

Once you come out
from under the judgmental labels, views and
stereotypes you learned through religion, you start
realizing how much you truly like and enjoy the
people you were taught to hate. This is a good and
liberating aspect of shedding religion. For too long
you were shut yourself off from a lot of beautiful and
extraordinary people in this world to enjoy and learn
from.

4. You may find and express a rebellious or defiant
part of you that has been dormant.
Don’t feel bad
about this. Too often religion turns people into nice,
compliant, repressed, timid, inhibited, mannerly,
obedient, fearful, amiable, submissive people. By the
way, I would not use any of these words to describe
Jesus. Here’s the deal, you can be a loving,
compassionate, respectful and kind person AND be a
rebellious, defiant, passionate, disobedient,
subversive, nonconformist, mischievous, self-willed,
fully expressed, freethinker, heretic, and free spirit
human being.

5. You may find less fulfillment in religious things, and
more satisfaction in human things. It’s okay and good
to be human, and to enjoy each moment of your
human journey. Religion caused many people to
create a false division between “sacred” things and
“secular” things. There is no such line. All of life is
sacred, spiritual, and divine. There’s no need to
defend, theologize, or spiritualize your human
experience. Just live it! That is enough. Life is made
complete by you living each moment. There’s no need
to maintain a running commentary about how God is
part of it. God IS part of it. Life and God are
inseparable. End of story. It’s okay to enjoy life,
experience delight and pleasure, do the things you
enjoy doing, and that breathe life into you, whatever
those things may be.

Have Fun.

Jim's blog

MizMyColi diz shuld not be ur view.. U'v been discussing me abi.. Issokah.. cheesy.. I tell ya I feel alright about the new feeling... my view is to make d world a better place dan all dis religious/blivs complications, respecting each personal blivs no matter how dumb.. And what da heck is backsliding, frontsliding and all, abeg spare me..tongue... Hisshh.

1 Like

Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 07, 2014
ihedinobi2:

I felt stifled.

Then you came back because you felt empty, is that right?
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by Dayjhihannon01(m): 8:25pm On Oct 07, 2014
Elantracey:

Ma'am am so glad you used religion because religion bring people away from God these days instead of closer , religion makes you always see your faults .

drops pen , I think am beginning to get confusing grin
yeah... Religion ppl/leaders are d ones making Christianity more complex and complicating/contradicting.. Imagine a christianity of A church is a church (like a mosque a mosque) either here or in sokoto, kaduna, rome et al? Enter any church and worship.. BUT NO dis same body of Christ we bliv bro Paul, John, et al formed to be Christianity av now been splits into million places; causing a lotta disparities.. Dis leaders caused so much disparities and make it taboos to av Cross-fellowship/crossbreading, even cross-wedding.. Arrgh... I stopped again..
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by ihedinobi2: 8:28pm On Oct 07, 2014
Xcapist:

Then you came back because you felt empty, is that right?
Yup.
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 07, 2014
ihedinobi2:

Yup.

My brother. Fellowship with the brethren is an awesome thing. I remember when I was still there, back in school, they were more than a family to me...talk about love and support. The fellowship was my identity, and really one of the best thing that has happened to me. And Yes, they also tried to control me like a family would...things I'm allowed to wear or not to wear, places I shouldn't be seen hanging around, activities I shouldn't partake in. These things weren't necessarily sinful but they still placed a kind of restriction, not always clearly stated but in a kind of unspoken condemning way. I think that's the stifling part of it that you were talking about, am I right?

A series of events led to my leaving, and I missed the church. I didn't miss the sermons, or the bible study, I missed the people, the love, the sense of community, belonging and identity. That common bond, that admiration by the sisters and respect by the 'younger' brothers. You see its very normal for any person to miss a close knit community that he was once an active part of, which provided him with a sense of community, belonging and identity. The said community could be a team, a clique, a band, a club, with that defining attributes, it doesn't have to be a church. And the emptiness may be a result of this feeling of loss. Lost of friendship, community and identity. So in my experience I found the religiosity sickening but then I still loved and missed the people. What is your own experience?

1 Like

Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by MizMyColi(f): 10:41pm On Oct 07, 2014
Xcapist:

My brother. Fellowship with the brethren is an awesome thing. I remember when I was still there, back in school, they were more than a family to me...talk about love and support. The fellowship was my identity, and really one of the best thing that has happened to me. And Yes, they also tried to control me like a family would...things I'm allowed to wear or not to wear, places I shouldn't be seen hanging around, activities I shouldn't partake in. These things weren't necessarily sinful but they still placed a kind of restriction, not always clearly stated but in a kind of unspoken condemning way. I think that's the stifling part of it that you were talking about, am I right?

A series of events led to my leaving, and I missed the church. I didn't miss the sermons, or the bible study, I missed the people, the love, the sense of community, belonging and identity. That common bond, that admiration by the sisters and respect by the 'younger' brothers. You see its very normal for any person to miss a close knit community that he was once an active part of, which provided him with a sense of community, belonging and identity. The said community could be a team, a clique, a band, a club, with that defining attributes, it doesn't have to be a church. And the emptiness may be a result of this feeling of lost. Lost of friendship, community and identity. So in my experience I found the religiosity sickening but the I still loved and missed the people. What is your own experience?
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by ihedinobi2: 11:22pm On Oct 07, 2014
Xcapist:

A series of events led to my leaving, and I missed the church. I didn't miss the sermons, or the bible study, I missed the people, the love, the sense of community, belonging and identity. That common bond, that admiration by the sisters and respect by the 'younger' brothers. You see its very normal for any person to miss a close knit community that he was once an active part of, which provided him with a sense of community, belonging and identity. The said community could be a team, a clique, a band, a club, with that defining attributes, it doesn't have to be a church. And the emptiness may be a result of this feeling of loss. Lost of friendship, community and identity. So in my experience I found the religiosity sickening but then I still loved and missed the people. What is your own experience?
smiley

No, you're not.

I've been a loner all my life. In my family, I've always been a bit apart. To become part of a community took deliberate effort from me. Loneness is normal to me.

In fellowship I tended to be a thorn in other believers' sides. I was too tasking, too demanding. I did not cut corners in following Christ. I took the Christian Walk very seriously and hated seeing the Bible and the Faith handled frivolously.

I felt held back generally by the Christianese, so to speak, and the posturing that didn't appear to have much reality in it. So I struck out. To learn to walk closely with God, to learn Who He was for myself and be true to my conscience.

During that time, I did my best, if you like, to reinvestigate everything that was taught in Church. I made friends outside the Church and played like the "liberated".

I grew very strong. Learned a great deal and figured out that I couldn't take it all alone. So I started to learn to accept Christians with their flaws and everything and to appreciate my own weakness and need for them to cover me too.

That was never me before.

I should tell you that I'm still very much a loner. I'm still learning to let other people help me. And to accept that it's ok to want other people to like me, to want me around them, to miss me. It's still quite alien to me, I assure you.

4 Likes

Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 07, 2014
ihedinobi2:

smiley

No, you're not.

I've been a loner all my life. In my family, I've always been a bit apart. To become part of a community took deliberate effort from me. Loneness is normal to me.

In fellowship I tended to be a thorn in other believers' sides. I was too tasking, too demanding. I did not cut corners in following Christ. I took the Christian Walk very seriously and hated seeing the Bible and the Faith handled frivolously.

I felt held back generally by the Christianese, so to speak, and the posturing that didn't appear to have much reality in it. So I struck out. To learn to walk closely with God, to learn Who He was for myself and be true to my conscience.

During that time, I did my best, if you like, to reinvestigate everything that was taught in Church. I made friends outside the Church and played like the "liberated".

I grew very strong. Learned a great deal and figured out that I couldn't take it all alone. So I started to learn to accept Christians with their flaws and everything and to appreciate my own weakness and need for them to cover me too.

That was never me before.

I should tell you that I'm still very much a loner. I'm still learning to let other people help me. And to accept that it's ok to want other people to like me, to want me around them, to miss me. It's still quite alien to me, I assure you.

Ok. Good for you then.

1 Like

Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by ihedinobi2: 11:50pm On Oct 07, 2014
Xcapist:

Ok. Good for you then.
*gracious bow*

I do understand your point. And I'll grant that you're probably right for some of those who left and returned. It just wasn't right for me.

To illustrate, I joined a church recently, last year actually. But from time to time I take extended "leaves" from the church to regroup. That usually occurs when I have to separate stuff that I'm hearing and get my head out of any funk it puts it into.

To put it quite simply, there are two kinds of people who go to church. There is the true Christian who goes for the same reason that you go out to your sitting room to hang out with the rest of the family. Then there is the oddball, no offence meant actually, who has gotten so used to the family that he acts like he's family. He hangs out at the parlour too because it's what the family does but he doesn't really belong. For him, the family is cool sometimes to hang with. At other times, they can be a bore at best and a real irritation at worst.

If the latter leaves, of course he'll miss the family. There were emotional bonds. But he was always bound to move on so he soon lets it go. He may have fond memories or he may have a lot of anger or he may care nothing whatever for the family. Fact is, he's moved on.

For the former, it doesn't matter how you feel, these people are always gonna be your family. You're invested in them. You'll make it work somehow. It's as simple as that.

That is my point. The prodigal in the Bible abandoned his family and his home. When the chickens came home to roost he headed back. He knew he wasn't one of the swine even if he ate swine food. So, it isn't merely emotional attachment, it's something stronger, quite literally the ties of blood.
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by CrazyMan(m): 12:31am On Oct 08, 2014
ihedinobi2:
Please tell me more cos I'm already becoming like how you once were.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a still a christian, I observe my early morning and late night devotion, its just that I'm tired with all these church stuff.

You miss fellowship for a day, and you're tagged as the worse sinner.

You read the bible from an android device and you're referred to as a carnal fellow.

I understand the sense of belonging you spoke of, but can't stand being judged by my fellow man.

The Nigerian church of today has become a court house, where christians spend their time judging and condemning souls rather than winning them for God.

Sister charity sees sister Ada on leggings in the market and that automacially become the next topic for sunday's service.

Brother Jude spots brother Philip in a bar, and all hell is let loose.

The self acclaimed righteous people in our churches today is what makes it stink.

What defines a man is his ability to make rational decision regardless of what his beliefs are, his honesty, integrity..etc. From what I've observed less than 1% of religious fanatics possess these traits

1 Like

Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by timilehing(m): 4:16am On Oct 08, 2014
I hope these help some people
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by MizMyColi(f): 6:36am On Oct 08, 2014
Ihedinobi2

I love you

I think our world is far better because you're in it grin
Re: You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These by MizMyColi(f): 6:40am On Oct 08, 2014
Xcapist

I've told you before now.

What manner of human being are you?

I'm not ashamed to admit that I've never met your kind.

There's no need to turn this thread to a dissertation of sorts, but I'll have you know that you are loved, you are cherished, for no other reason other than being you.

Thank you for gracing our e-life with your presence.
grin

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Have You Watched Mount Zion Film Lately? / I Will Embrace Death As An Atheist Any Time! What Is Afterlife? / Can Objective Morality Exist Without God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.