Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,810 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

Top 10 Most Read Books In The World - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 10 Most Read Books In The World (10945 Views)

JAMB Cutoff Mark Is Out: See 10 Most Sought After Universities / 10 Most Marketable Courses In Nigeria / 10 Most Extreme Body Part in the world!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by olashas(f): 5:14pm On Oct 06, 2014
tonychristopher:
You people are busy arguing about Koran...a book that is only wriiten on one funny language and bizarre characters and its funny

Muslim can be nasty ....I have asked a Muslim to give me an English version of that book for a year now to read and he has been avoiding that

But bible is everyday and in every language for easier access cos our God understands every lngauge cos he created it

Buy Allah hmmmm he only understands Arabic and seems deaf to other language

Wish muslin luck

No wonder they are converting to Christianity ..the few reasonable ones doesn't won't to miserable buy acceptable ..they become Christians

[/b]Who wants to be a terrorist anyway[b]
Don't make conclusions on what you don't know. Have you read the Quran? I am not a muslim but I have read the Quran in it's entirety due to the course I studied in uni and there is nothing about terrorism in it. Criticise only what you know

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Pes13: 5:19pm On Oct 06, 2014
espn:
wat thrash r u sayn!was d bible originally written in english!or wat poo r u sayn!it was translated because of foolsk u so dat u can easily b deceived..adulterated story book..diff books diff versions and contradicting stories..nd u r here spewing shit!u guys wif hypocricy..wher d Bleep did u get dat statistics dat dt ur book is d most read book..u guyz r gud @ deceiving urself!
I dont argue on religion palava

U dey yarn dust, outright senseless talk.

If u summarize a book, and I summarize d same book, do u mean our written language will be exact d same.

Or if u translate a book 2 yoruba, do u mean I will translate d same book 2 yoruba with exact use of words as yours.

Try 2 use ur cerebrum wen spewing trash.
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by nwaobitex: 6:21pm On Oct 06, 2014
I score 3/10 grin
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by espn(m): 8:01pm On Oct 06, 2014
Pes13:
I dont argue on religion palava

U dey yarn dust, outright senseless talk.

If u summarize a book, and I summarize d same book, do u mean our written language will be exact d same.

Or if u translate a book 2 yoruba, do u mean I will translate d same book 2 yoruba with exact use of words as yours.

Try 2 use ur cerebrum wen spewing trash.
to summarise is dif frm translate bro!pls dnt get it twisted!
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Youngsage: 8:32pm On Oct 06, 2014
olukenzo:

Pass

Pass

You may not be as smart as you think. I perceive you as a time waster who just wants to ask rather silly questions --silly because if not for undiluted ignorance, these things are apparent. I take it all back and ask for your forgiveness if you're not as I feel.

On corporal punishment and Islamic schools, it is a no-brainer. Nigerians believe in it. Arab, American children and others don't get caned at any school, Islamic or otherwise.

Another no-brainer, Same way Odu-ifa, opele etc is recited in Yoruba. Arabic is the lingua franca of Islam.

Lol. Wrong perception. Not my fault at all that the questions looked silly to you, your fault!
You did not answer any of the questions asked which were actually very simple and straight forward.
You probably had difficulty understanding the questions hence your failure to provide answers to them, or you just decided to evade them because of you couldn't come up with reasonable answers.
I think I'll go with the latter...

I wonder what point you where trying to make/you think you made by what you put up there Totally off the point, those comparisons are totally out of place.

How can you even compare Yoruba, with 'Islam', a religion? You obviously don't know the meaning of lingua franca.

If a cleric understands Yoruba language, for example, and the children he is to teach understand it also, why can't he just teach them in the common language instead of flogging them to learn quran in arabic, recite, etc? Isn't that the essence of the translations

You may not bother to reply me please.
#out
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Nobody: 8:53pm On Oct 06, 2014
Youngsage:

Lol. Wrong perception. Not my fault at all that the questions looked silly to you, your fault!
You did not answer any of the questions asked which were actually very simple and straight forward.
You probably had difficulty understanding the questions hence your failure to provide answers to them, or you just decided to evade them because of you couldn't come up with reasonable answers.
I think I'll go with the latter...

I wonder what point you where trying to make/you think you made by what you put up there Totally off the point, those comparisons are totally out of place.

How can you even compare Yoruba, with 'Islam', a religion? You obviously don't know the meaning of lingua franca.

If a cleric understands Yoruba language, for example, and the children he is to teach understand it also, why can't he just teach them in the common language instead of flogging them to learn quran in arabic, recite, etc? Isn't that the essence of the translations

You may not bother to reply me please.
#out

grin

I read our back and forth out to some people, we all had a good laugh. An elderly one felt I should have left you in your tomfoolery, now he thinks you think too much of your self -- my first impression, actually. lol

Why don't we teach children science and mathematics in Yoruba as well, since they already understand Yoruba...?

Why must code, source code be written in a language that is largely English?

Crying more than the bereaved!? grin

"YoungSage" lmao.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Samguine: 9:07pm On Oct 06, 2014
Baddestguyp:
I'be only read two. the alchemist is probably about search for a non-existent philosopher's stone I think, its my first time hearing of it tho
You gotta read it bro, the book is a nice one. And according to the author, the philosopher's stone actually existed.
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Baddestguyp(m): 9:12pm On Oct 06, 2014
Samguine:

You gotta read it bro, the book is a nice one. And according to the author, the philosopher's stone actually existed.
alchemists are like scientists who have powers or stuff like that right? I'll try to download d book on my phone
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by SwagPower: 10:11pm On Oct 06, 2014
Iaz93:
[size=23pt]11. Agbo Goes To School[/size] - 26 million copies read. undecided
kai... U no go kill person... lwkmd

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Youngsage: 10:27pm On Oct 06, 2014
olukenzo:

grin

I read our back and forth out to some people, we all had a good laugh. An elderly one felt I should have left you in your tomfoolery, now he thinks you think too much of your self -- my first impression, actually. lol

Why don't we teach children science and mathematics in Yoruba as well, since they already understand Yoruba...?

Why must code, source code be written in a language that is largely English?

Crying more than the breived! grin

lmao.

Lol. grin grin Definitely to some pple of your ilk, who cant comprehend simple questions.
I only cited yoruba as an example, of course you are free to teach your kids science in yoruba if you like.
All I did was to ask u questions, and you couldn't answer. You and your cohorts were obviously beffudled by the questions, and instead of providing answers, resorted to spewing irrelevant balderdash.

smh
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Youngsage: 10:27pm On Oct 06, 2014
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by ayawori(m): 10:35pm On Oct 06, 2014
I'm nt going religious with dis but let's look at it logically, a lot of Muslim pple have a bible to read for different reasons, at least I knw a lot, while it is rare for u to see a Christian reading a Qur'an, cuz even if he wants to, he can't read nor understand d language.This is to say dat Muslims are part of the number of people who have purchased a bible at one point in time

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by kudoxs(m): 11:19pm On Oct 06, 2014
tonychristopher:
You people are busy arguing about Koran...a book that is only wriiten on one funny language and bizarre characters and its funny

Muslim can be nasty ....I have asked a Muslim to give me an English version of that book for a year now to read and he has been avoiding that

But bible is everyday and in every language for easier access cos our God understands every lngauge cos he created it

Wish muslin luck

No wonder they are converting to Christianity ..the few reasonable ones doesn't won't to miserable buy acceptable ..they become Christians

Who wants to be a terrorist anyway
what is this one saying . someone should please help decipher this gibberish.
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by date1816: 12:01am On Oct 07, 2014
tonychristopher:

Wish muslin luck

1. Blessed is He in Whose Hand is the dominion, and He is Able to do all things.
2. Who has created death and life, that He may test you which of you is best in deed. And He is the All-Mighty, the Oft-Forgiving;
3. Who has created the seven heavens one above another, you can see no fault in the creations of the Most Beneficent. Then look again: "Can you see any rifts?"
4. Then look again and yet again, your sight will return to you in a state of humiliation and worn out.
5. And indeed We have adorned the nearest heaven with lamps, and We have made such lamps (as) missiles to drive away the Shayatin (devils), and have prepared for them the torment of the blazing Fire.
6. And for those who disbelieve in their Lord (Allah) is the torment of Hell, and worst indeed is that destination.
7. When they are cast therein, they will hear the (terrible) drawing in of its breath as it blazes forth.
8. It almost bursts up with fury. Every time a group is cast therein, its keeper will ask: "Did no warner come to you?"
9. They will say: "Yes indeed; a warner did come to us, but we belied him and said: 'Allah never sent down anything (of revelation), you are only in great error.'"
10. And they will say: "Had we but listened or used our intelligence, we would not have been among the dwellers of the blazing Fire!"
11. Then they will confess their sin. So, away with the dwellers of the blazing Fire.
12. Verily! Those who fear their Lord unseen (i.e. they do not see Him, nor His Punishment in the Hereafter, etc.), theirs will be forgiveness and a great reward (i.e. Paradise).
13. And whether you keep your talk secret or disclose it, verily, He is the All-Knower of what is in the breasts (of men).
14. Should not He Who has created know? And He is the Most Kind and Courteous (to His slaves) All-Aware (of everything).
15. He it is, Who has made the earth subservient to you (i.e. easy for you to walk, to live and to do agriculture on it, etc.), so walk in the path thereof and eat of His provision, and to Him will be the Resurrection.
16. Do you feel secure that He, Who is over the heaven (Allah), will not cause the earth to sink with you, then behold it shakes (as in an earthquake)?
17. Or do you feel secure that He, Who is over the heaven (Allah), will not send against you a violent whirlwind? Then you shall know how (terrible) has been My Warning?
18. And indeed those before them belied (the Messengers of Allah), then how terrible was My denial (punishment)?
19. Do they not see the birds above them, spreading out their wings and folding them in? None upholds them except the Most Beneficent (Allah). Verily, He is the All-Seer of everything.
20. Who is he besides the Most Beneficent that can be an army to you to help you? The disbelievers are in nothing but delusion.
21. Who is he that can provide for you if He should withhold His provision? Nay, but they continue to be in pride, and (they) flee (from the truth).
22. Is he who walks without seeing on his face, more rightly guided, or he who (sees and) walks on a Straight Way (i.e. Islamic Monotheism).
23. Say it is He Who has created you, and endowed you with hearing (ears), seeing (eyes), and hearts. Little thanks you give.
24. Say: "It is He Who has created you from the earth, and to Him shall you be gathered (in the Hereafter)."
25. They say: "When will this promise (i.e. the Day of Resurrection) come to pass? if you are telling the truth."
26. Say (O Muhammad ): "The knowledge (of its exact time) is with Allah only, and I am only a plain warner."
27. But when they will see it (the torment on the Day of Resurrection) approaching, the faces of those who disbelieve will be different (black, sad, and in grieve), and it will be said (to them): "This is (the promise) which you were calling for!"
28. Say (O Muhammad ): "Tell me! If Allah destroys me, and those with me, or He bestows His Mercy on us, - who can save the disbelievers from a painful torment?"
29. Say: "He is the Most Beneficent (Allah), in Him we believe, and in Him we put our trust. So you will come to know who is it that is in manifest error."
30. Say (O Muhammad ): "Tell me! If (all) your water were to be sunk away, who then can supply you with flowing (spring) water?"

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by tomiobj(m): 12:34am On Oct 07, 2014
philtrum:
mehn I score 3/10 I no sabi at all

The Bible
Da Vinci Code
Think and grow rich
. They should multiply every copy sold to any nigerian by 10 before adding when doing this

Because our books last generations and will spread to aunty wa neighbor wa and it will go round our workdplace

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by tomiobj(m): 12:37am On Oct 07, 2014
ayawori:
I'm nt going religious with dis but let's look at it logically, a lot of Muslim pple have a bible to read for different reasons, at least I knw a lot, while it is rare for u to see a Christian reading a Qur'an, cuz even if he wants to, he can't read nor understand d language.This is to say dat Muslims are part of the number of people who have purchased a bible at one point in time

Why are u telling us ds? To defend ur religion?? Because the bible is read more than the quran(u went religious by urself)
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Nobody: 1:16am On Oct 07, 2014
tonychristopher:

Wish muslin luck

Chairman is it your God that revealed bible in English? Or it was translated to english language by humans? However there are translated Qurans in other languages . so stop exposing your ignorance. It looks stupid! ( And they are converting to Christians??) You are so funny and dumb.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Nobody: 1:22am On Oct 07, 2014
Ellemuah:

Well, u re right, d Bible was translated to English so we all can av access 2 it￴. BIBLE has bin translated to many languages both in print nd online so everyone can understand it without havin to learn some foreign language, y cnt we say d same about d quran?
Quran is also translated to many languages. And you can have access to it both in printing and online form...stop guessing and write fact. Do researches before you post on a public forum. It doesn't speak well of you to goof when the info is readily available!
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by riloxy(m): 5:48am On Oct 07, 2014
tonychristopher:

Wish muslin luck

don't you know the way to the bookshop to buy it. your point here is baseless.
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by riloxy(m): 5:52am On Oct 07, 2014
adioolayi:

Am not arguing with you Sir...goggle put the entire population of Arabic nations at 367Million....that of course will include adult that cannot read and children that are not of age to read.
Assuming the entire population reads, that is still far less than the numbers accrued by the second book on this list
http://www.google.com.ng/search?site=&source=hp&ei=ZRgyVOXFGc7WatXjgdgG&q=total+population+of+Arabic+nations&btnG=

bro, there are almost 2 billion Muslims in the world today. They recite the Qur'an in Arabic at least five times in a day.
get your facts right, it's not only the Arabs that read the Qur'an.
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by ayawori(m): 6:31am On Oct 07, 2014
tomiobj:

Why are u telling us ds? To defend ur religion?? Because the bible is read more than the quran(u went religious by urself)
I'm nt defending any religion cuz I never said anyone was superior to d other, wat I'm saying is dat d probability of a Muslim owning a bible is higher than Christian owning a Qur'an.
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 07, 2014
olukenzo:

So you don't miss it again, see the bolded.

The Qur'an is translated and transliterated into so many languages, I thought we cleared that? It just almost never comes without its original Arabic version/meaning --for obvious reasons.

Funny, you don't have any issue conversing with me in English which is not both of our mother tongue. I can't even begin to imagine the effort you must have put in to achieve your level of English proficiency, lol.

Anyway, the prophet was not learned (he couldn't read nor write) and Arabic was his language, so he had to be taught in Arabic. On a lighter note, I hope you won't ask me why the prophet (Peace Be Upon him) had to be Arab.

Yes, clerics in Nigeria use cane, teachers in Nigerian schools use cane...Nuff said.

I see your notice of modification. Here:

I don't know where you came about the part you wrote about most Muslims in Nigeria being Yoruba, but I doubt that.

Regardless, Arabic is the language of the prophet (PBUH), of the Qu'ran and of Islam. Hence, we all pray in unison, from Abuja to Abu Dhabi to Athens.
Thank you mashAllah!smh for some people islamophobia at its peak.
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by pamcode(m): 8:31am On Oct 07, 2014
tonychristopher:

They books fit the kids they are fictions

Matured mind read historic and realist books

Not one magic book

Just like DA Vinci code and the other book by dan brown called symbol ...just fictions

Attacking catholic

all his books xcept digital fotress attacks catholics
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 07, 2014
tonychristopher:

Wish muslin luck

Broda make dem no trace u...o.. cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by tomiobj(m): 9:08am On Oct 07, 2014
ayawori:
I'm nt defending any religion cuz I never said anyone was superior to d other, wat I'm saying is dat d probability of a Muslim owning a bible is higher than Christian owning a Qur'an.

I neva said anytn bout superiority.

U had mynd that d quran will be in dat list but it isn't. Nw ur defence is to say about 60% of Muslims own a bible. Therefore makn it more popular
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 07, 2014
olashas:

Don't make conclusions on what you don't know. Have you read the Quran? I am not a muslim but I have read the Quran in it's entirety due to the course I studied in uni and there is nothing about terrorism in it. Criticise only what you know
where u taught of Jesus Christ too... I guess they didn't.. what i mean to say is they wont teach u all in the quran.. Most of it part in the main quran v been edited nd sm part r not read or u wil go mad...eg. that of Jesus christ, his brith, baptmis nd death r all in the quran.. whu on earth will they teach u the other bad side.. i hope u v a quran.. better read it all thru... I once was living in north..
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Nobody: 9:47am On Oct 07, 2014
Youngsage:

[s]
Lol. grin grin Definitely to some pple of your ilk, who cant comprehend simple questions.
I only cited yoruba as an example, of course you are free to teach your kids science in yoruba if you like.
All I did was to ask u questions, and you couldn't answer. You and your cohorts were obviously beffudled by the questions, and instead of providing answers, resorted to spewing irrelevant balderdash.

smh
[/s]

The boy that wrote 'Allah' and 'Islam' says I lack comprehension.

Same one does not understand why Arabic should be referred to as the official language of Islam.

And why it is easier to teach Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo children --who are contemporaries and sit for the same WASSCE-- mathematics in a common language, English.

"Sage" undecided
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by ArafatOlamide(f): 11:22am On Oct 07, 2014
tonychristopher:

Wish muslin luck

Your sense of reasoning is shallow. The holy Qur'an was written in it original form, just as it was sent and we Muslim pray with this language. There is only one version and type of Qur'an, which there is anywhere in the universe. So, think deep before criticism.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by olashas(f): 11:42am On Oct 07, 2014
mrceo63:

where u taught of Jesus Christ too... I guess they didn't.. what i mean to say is they wont teach u all in the quran.. Most of it part in the main quran v been edited nd sm part r not read [/b]or u wil go mad[b]...eg. that of Jesus christ, his brith, baptmis nd death r all in the quran.. whu on earth will they teach u the other bad side..[/b] i hope u v a quran.. better read it all thru[b]... I once was living in north..
The thing about going mad is a lie grin grin. And yes I have a Quran. I have read it in it's entirety. I bought it while studying islamic law as an elective course. I had an A too tongue. There is nothing about being a terrorist in it
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by Richie0974: 12:36pm On Oct 07, 2014
ojaydedon:
what of quoran

What of eze goes to school?

What of chike and d river?

What of oliver twist??

What of things fall apart?

What of animals farm?

What of oxford dictionary?

Hmmm i smell lies in this compilation... Or is it racism...
Nobody reads those....d only 1s I think are being read very well nowadays is"Koran" and "Oxford Dictionary"
Re: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World by faboben10: 12:57pm On Oct 07, 2014
Bible d most read book?
And d readers didn't change.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

(lautech) Has Now Been Sold And Now Will Be Run By The Federal Government. / SCAM ALERT!!! / Do You Have A Minimum Of Second Class Lower ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.