Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:21 AM

Igala Language In Anambra State. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igala Language In Anambra State. (86523 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Aurthur Eze In Anambra (Photos) / The Igala People In Anambra State / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 5:41am On Oct 12, 2014
Klinee:
Cross which river? Ignorant is disease

He meant to "cross river" metaphorically... in other words to acculturate. This thread further reinforces the magnitude of Igbo presence in North Central and South South. Igbo people and land have been dissected, separated, the corollary is what we have today...Igbos scattered everywhere NATIVELY in Delta, Rivers, Cross rivers, Akwa Ibom, Benue, Kogi, e.t.c. I'm Ibibio, guess what? My father speaks fluent Igbo even though he never stepped foot in the SE when he learned it. All he said was it was spoken pre-civil war in the old Cross River state; which includes today's Akwa Ibom. My point is Igalas and Igbos are brothers, same with ibibios and many other tribes in SS, all have Igbo ancestry. Explain why you can hardly differentiate between Igbos, most SS and some North Central(Benue and Kogi) by physical appearance alone. You can easily mistake Gov. AKpabio, Gov. Imoke, Sen. David Mark, Gov. Suswan, Gov. Ameachi, Pres. Jonathan, Peter Odili as Igbos by their physical traits, but can never mistake them for Yoruba or Hausa as their physical traits differ a lot by long margin. So most of us look alike...boils down to same parentage! Most Yoruba will see me and call me Omo Igbo, until I speak Ibibio till they get it I'm not Igbo.lol!

To the OP: One thing you must know is Igbo people are very accommodating of other tribes, I have lived among them, they scare nor fear no one. They are confident in themselves, their abilities and don't see other tribes as a threat. Be appreciative that some stations and channels allot some time for Igala broadcast when Igala only constitute less than 5% of the population. That's a huge magnanimity on the Igbos I would say. I don't know of any Abuja local channels or Radio stations that speaks Gwarri or Nupe for the real natives of the land. They have all be acculturated as northerners; by conquest.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 5:43am On Oct 12, 2014
Igala and Igbo have had cordial inter relationships over the centuries. In Anioma area of Delta state, you have Igala people in Ebu who are also fluent in Igbo. Many families in Asaba and Illah migrated from Igala so are some families in Onitsha. Igbo people are an almalgam of immigrants from other cultures who may or may not be assimilated by the larger Igbo groups.

New2020 is correct, Igbo is the only tribe native to all the South South states. From Igbanke in Edo down to all the other states in the zone. There are Igala people in Edo state too. Igarra people in Edo actually speak Igala language.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by HisMajesty1(m): 5:46am On Oct 12, 2014
[quote author=seekier post=27068249]
thats true

i am a real igala guy, born and brought up in the village [in ejule, OFU local govt area of kogi state] but non of the stuff u wrote above mean anything in igala[/quote
Every single thing the OP said is Igala you just don't understand it. We have a variant igala dialect only closely understood by ibaji's. Most igala's from Idah upwards will only understand 10% of our dialect but ibaji's which are the closest people in mainstream I gala land will understand us well.

3 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by eleko1: 5:48am On Oct 12, 2014
undecided sad undecided undecided undecidedCome again.Is it when peeps bear Chinoso,Obinna,nkechi b4 U know he/she is a bonafide Igbo peeps?What do u say to a Igbo man who gave his son/daughter yoruba name like Adaora Funke Nwachukwu?
adeitoro:

but that is what he spoke to Mr John in their conversation.
Personally, I know Igalas don't speak Igbo, even I do listen to there programs in ABS radio2 Onitsha. I even know a Catholic priest from Anambra Igala thats speaks Igbo fluently, you can only know that he is not Igbo from his surname "Jemigbola"
Just that what he wrote in their conversation is Igbo unless the tone varies, then it is not Igbo.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by HisMajesty1(m): 5:53am On Oct 12, 2014
Lavidah:
Sometime last year, I was very surprised the day I saw a document belonging to a collegue of mine, who I hitherto knew to be an Igala person by tribe having Anambra boldly written as his state of origin (did enough research afterwards, just to satiate my curiosity). His surname is Omojah and I also discovered just recently that he speaks a bit of Igbo, say 40%, but understands much more... So seeing this thread has added to my existing knowledge of Igalas in Anambra. For me, its an amazing reality!
I can relate with your post. your colleague's surname is my middle name. I'm from one of those communities the OP mentioned, precisely I'm from Igbedor. The truth is our people are so divided on which state to claim. some claim Anambra while others like my parent claim kogi because they can't just take the perennial discrimination from the Igbos.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 5:59am On Oct 12, 2014
I said his "surname" not first name, so going by the generation of the Priest's father cultural inter/intra-relationtionship is not as what we have today.

Personally, I don't know of any Igboman born in 60's that has a non-Igbo surname.

eleko1:
undecided sad undecided undecided undecidedCome again.Is it when peeps bear Chinoso,Obinna,nkechi b4 U know he/she is a bonafide Igbo peeps?What do u say to a Igbo man who gave his son/daughter yoruba name like Adaora Funke Nwachukwu?
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by HisMajesty1(m): 6:03am On Oct 12, 2014
adeitoro:

but that is what he spoke to Mr John in their conversation.
Personally, I know Igalas don't speak Igbo, even I do listen to there programs in ABS radio2 Onitsha. I even know a Catholic priest from Anambra Igala thats speaks Igbo fluently, you can only know that he is not Igbo from his surname "Jemigbola"
Just that what he wrote in their conversation is Igbo unless the tone varies, then it is not Igbo.
First of, Rev. Father Hyacinth Jemigbola is from igbedor. As a matter of fact he is my mum's immediate younger brother, I mean blood brother, he's my uncle.He's currently in Miami Florida furthering his education. He's popular in Anambra state because he understands and speaks Igbo fluently just like almost everyone who grew up in our place. Mind you what the Op spoke was I gala but a variant dialect which is very much like Igbo due to hundreds of years of Igbo acculturation.

5 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by osram(m): 6:04am On Oct 12, 2014
tabletman1:
I don't even know my senatorial district but I am from Nnewi south LGA you people are far too small to exceed 2%, have u been to normal anambra community during xmas? Have u even been to aguleri(otucha) your neighboring community during xmas and see the much population there? Orient are also doing their thing at aguleri, so don't make it seem like if they are drilling only the oil at nzam.bro me to am frm nnewi south l.g........ukpor ogene......its bin lyk 19yrs nw eva since I stepped my foot in my village all my life ryt 4rm childhood til nw dt m 22 av bin to my village jst once n dt was in my childhood......d rest of my life av bin in kaduna.......nice to meet u brother I hope to go to ukpor sumday

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Amadaz(m): 6:07am On Oct 12, 2014
Klinee:
Is only Abs 2 radio that allow Igala language others dont
my friend, you're in igbo land not igalla land!

5 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Amuga(f): 6:08am On Oct 12, 2014
I got to know about the igala speaking part (Anambra west) during my service year in Awka. I was a onyekusi (teacher) and a student in my ppa was bearing an igala name but claim to be an igbo. I confronted him and told him to tell his dad that he is an igala and not igbo.
To summarise the story, he came to school with the dad next day. The man was even having igala tribal mark and speaks igala fluently.

3 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Haryorqunley(m): 6:10am On Oct 12, 2014
Good
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Afromalaika(m): 6:14am On Oct 12, 2014
Very educative grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by HisMajesty1(m): 6:16am On Oct 12, 2014
I studied Mass Commucation in Kogi state university. I can say I almost spent my four years there educating fellow students and lecturers alike that there are igalas in Anambra state and I'm even one. Most of them there do not even know except elderly people from idah and ibaji axis. I also had to learn their igala dialect there which is 80% a far cry from what we speak and understand especially for a Lagos born and bred like me. I'm very sure we will get more recognition in Anambra soonest as a paramount ruler of all the igala speaking communities have recently been appointed in the person of Igwe Pius Omachonu, being an influential man in the political circus over there.

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 6:18am On Oct 12, 2014
Wow! Never knew Anambra consist both Igbo and Igala.

This is educative and an eye-opener.

God bless Nairaland. smiley

5 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by HisMajesty1(m): 6:23am On Oct 12, 2014
@ OP which of the communities are you from?
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by zeroshadow: 6:26am On Oct 12, 2014
Language is an important part of a culture don't kill it.

www.earnnaija..com

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by hakon: 6:32am On Oct 12, 2014
Whether Igala, Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba. We are all nigerians . Let's get rid of language differences and develop the spirit of oneness. That language barrier is what made the building of the tower of babel to fail and it is still affecting us today in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by scanp(m): 6:34am On Oct 12, 2014
igala ppl we are one, still waiting 4 idoma ppl 2 join d igbos grin

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by psalm68(m): 6:36am On Oct 12, 2014
Though i am a yoruba,i found this thread very educative and informative.
I though anambra is 100% igbo.
nice job OP grin

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by ChiSun27(m): 6:40am On Oct 12, 2014
So Anambra is a bilingual State Waoh!!! Never knew that.

Igalians as Anambrians

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by ifeanyi83(m): 6:51am On Oct 12, 2014
I guess these issues are common with border towns. I hear some parts of kwara state have it's population speaking Hausa...these are the things that should bind us together because as it seems, one way or the other, we are all connected to one another. God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by JerryJude(m): 6:53am On Oct 12, 2014
it's true the maginalization our people is facing in Anambra state as a result minority can not be overemphasized, but thank God he has given a bait (crude oil) that we will use to drag to our aids

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by hayzed2: 6:57am On Oct 12, 2014
Igala ko Obo langido ni tongue
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by thewarrior72: 6:57am On Oct 12, 2014
Op better get use to been true & true Anambra & discard your damn language or get the hell out of Anambra territory undecided

3 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by saintneo(m): 6:57am On Oct 12, 2014
new2020:

He meant to "cross river" metaphorically... in other words to acculturate. This thread further reinforces the magnitude of Igbo presence in North Central and South South. Igbo people and land have been dissected, separated, the corollary is what we have today...Igbos scattered everywhere NATIVELY in Delta, Rivers, Cross rivers, Akwa Ibom, Benue, Kogi, e.t.c. I'm Ibibio, guess what? My father speaks fluent Igbo even though he never stepped foot in the SE when he learned it. All he said was it was spoken pre-civil war in the old Cross River state; which includes today's Akwa Ibom. My point is Igalas and Igbos are bothers, same with ibibios and many other tribes in SS, all have Igbo ancestry. Explain why you can hardly differentiate between Igbos, most SS and some North Central(Benue and Kogi) by physical appearance alone. You can easily mistake Gov. AKpabio, Gov. Imoke, Sen. David Mark, Gov. Suswan, Gov. Ameachi, Pres. Jonathan, Peter Odili as Igbos by their physical traits, but can never mistake them for Yoruba or Hausa as their physical traits differ a lot by long margin. So most of us look alike...boils down to same parentage! Most Yoruba will see me and call me Omo Igbo, until I speak Ibibio till they get it I'm not Igbo.lol!

To the OP: One thing you must know is Igbo people are very accommodating of other tribes, I have lived among them, they scare nor fear no one. They are confident in themselves, their abilities and don't see other tribes as a threat. Be appreciative that some stations and channels allot some time for Igala broadcast when Igala only constitute less thn 5% of the population. That's a huge magnanimity on the Igbos I would say. I don't know of any Abuja local channels or Radio stations that speaks Gwarri or Nupe for the real natives of the land. They have all be acculturated as northerners.
If in any attempt Biafra comes, I advice you to prepare for the top gun position. Salute!

7 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by cheruv: 6:59am On Oct 12, 2014
new2020:

He meant to "cross river" metaphorically... in other words to acculturate. This thread further reinforces the magnitude of Igbo presence in North Central and South South. Igbo people and land have been dissected, separated, the corollary is what we have today...Igbos scattered everywhere NATIVELY in Delta, Rivers, Cross rivers, Akwa Ibom, Benue, Kogi, e.t.c. I'm Ibibio, guess what? My father speaks fluent Igbo even though he never stepped foot in the SE when he learned it. All he said was it was spoken pre-civil war in the old Cross River state; which includes today's Akwa Ibom. My point is Igalas and Igbos are bothers, same with ibibios and many other tribes in SS, all have Igbo ancestry. Explain why you can hardly differentiate between Igbos, most SS and some North Central(Benue and Kogi) by physical appearance alone. You can easily mistake Gov. AKpabio, Gov. Imoke, Sen. David Mark, Gov. Suswan, Gov. Ameachi, Pres. Jonathan, Peter Odili as Igbos by their physical traits, but can never mistake them for Yoruba or Hausa as their physical traits differ a lot by long margin. So most of us look alike...boils down to same parentage! Most Yoruba will see me and call me Omo Igbo, until I speak Ibibio till they get it I'm not Igbo.lol!

To the OP: One thing you must know is Igbo people are very accommodating of other tribes, I have lived among them, they scare nor fear no one. They are confident in themselves, their abilities and don't see other tribes as a threat. Be appreciative that some stations and channels allot some time for Igala broadcast when Igala only constitute less thn 5% of the population. That's a huge magnanimity on the Igbos I would say. I don't know of any Abuja local channels or Radio stations that speaks Gwarri or Nupe for the real natives of the land. They have all be acculturated as northerners.
of all the tribes bordering the Igbo nation, its the mgbokos(Ibibio-efik) that I appreciate most. they're still steadfast and refuse to see us as enemies who want to dominate them kos they know the truth.
now the ogoni,idoma,igala,Bini with the exception of the ijos are coming to that realization.
apart from Imo and abia that's 100% Igbo and Ebonyi that's 99%,Enugwu and Anambra which are 97% & 98% respectively should do more to acculturate the idomas and igalas living there or exchange them with Igbos living in kogi and Benue states respectively. this way we can rid ourselves of claims and counterclaims of marginalization and exploitation that's common place in Nigeria.
even though we Igbos have a stake in the SS and parts of the middle belt,we respect their cultures smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by timilehing(m): 6:59am On Oct 12, 2014
modhream:

U are a liar.
All government-owned media in Anambra broadcast news in English,Igbo n Igala.They also broadcast Igala-specific programmes just as they do Igbo,otherwise normal programmes are in English
U are a liar.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 12, 2014
You got it, yea Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Jemigbola was before a vicar in my parish St. Jude Cath. Fegge Onitsha. We miss his spirit filled homily.

That is exactly what I am saying, what he wrote there sounds Igbo which can be understood by any Igboman unless if there is tone variation.

Good to know its as a result of acculturation.

HisMajesty1:

First of, Rev. Father Hyacinth Jemigbola is from igbedor. As a matter of fact he is my mum's immediate younger brother, I mean blood brother, he's my uncle.He's currently in Miami Florida furthering his education. He's popular in Anambra state because he understands and speaks Igbo fluently just like almost everyone who grew up in our place. Mind you what the Op spoke was I gala but a variant dialect which is very much like Igbo due to hundreds of years of Igbo acculturation.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by thewarrior72: 7:01am On Oct 12, 2014
JerryJude:
it's true the maginalization our people is facing in Anambra state as a result minority can not be overemphasized, but thank God he has given a bait (crude oil) that we will use to drag to our aids
Don't bank on that or else you will be kicked out of Anambra

6 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by hayzed2: 7:01am On Oct 12, 2014
In Igala tradition, infants from some parts of the kingdom,
like Ankpa receive three deep horizontal cuts on each side of the face, slightly above the corners of their mouths, as a way of identifying each other. However, this practice is becoming less common. If you see the tribal mark you go think say dem fight lion grin

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride / Ooni Ogunwusi Blasted For Kneeling In Church / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.