Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,600 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:04 PM

Igala Language In Anambra State. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igala Language In Anambra State. (86599 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Aurthur Eze In Anambra (Photos) / The Igala People In Anambra State / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 7:02am On Oct 12, 2014
01karma:
.. Op abeg stop talking that nonsense jor. Do you know that there are some igbos who are part of other non speaking igbo state who want to be united with their brother?? Let do trade by bater. You go back, they come back. cheesy

Instead of you to be thinking on how to go back to kogi, you want to continue been a minority?

see let me tell you, in the next 10years if care is not taken, you guys would be Igbonized in Anambra state and no trace, i mean no trace of your cultural existance would be found. I am from Enugu state and i feel for my people who are not part of the larger igbo community and i believe one day we would be united again.

please better think of going back to kogi instead of claming to be an Amanbra preson. We all know you are not, maybe when you guys are igbonized, we will now accept you tongue

Hitler have spoken.
All hail the Fuhrer!
Let us segregate them. They are not Anambra enough. Not even Igbo what a shame.
Maybe you can build a n apartheid wall around them like the one in West Bank to keep them out of the mainstream Anambra (o ye from the tribe of Judah)
Maybe we adopt the FINAL SOLUTION and exterminate them so that "no trace of your cultural existance would be found."

5 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by chinchong: 7:02am On Oct 12, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997:
u rep us wella bro.God wey sabi for heaven go replenish ur power............more plot to ur land bro. grin

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by ElekeNtioba: 7:11am On Oct 12, 2014
seekier:

thats true

i am a real igala guy, born and brought up in the village [in ejule, OFU local govt area of kogi state] but non of the stuff u wrote above mean anything in igala

OP hasnt realized it yet, bt his pple have gone too far to be called Igala. Their assimilation is almost complete. He is complaining of his pple preferring to speak Igbo because he is yet to grasp d reality.

Even his igalaish-Igbo is just another dialect.

'Nuff said.

7 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 12, 2014
I can now understand the Anambra state and kogi state were fighting for the land and people in question
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by ALKARULEZ615(m): 7:18am On Oct 12, 2014
I just taya o...

Igala pple just dey kari dey spread

...I even hear say Igala pple (Oshoimili LGA) dey ma beloved state (DELTA)

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by ElekeNtioba: 7:19am On Oct 12, 2014
new2020:

He meant to "cross river" metaphorically... in other words to acculturate. This thread further reinforces the magnitude of Igbo presence in North Central and South South. Igbo people and land have been dissected, separated, the corollary is what we have today...Igbos scattered everywhere NATIVELY in Delta, Rivers, Cross rivers, Akwa Ibom, Benue, Kogi, e.t.c. I'm Ibibio, guess what? My father speaks fluent Igbo even though he never stepped foot in the SE when he learned it. All he said was it was spoken pre-civil war in the old Cross River state; which includes today's Akwa Ibom. My point is Igalas and Igbos are bothers, same with ibibios and many other tribes in SS, all have Igbo ancestry. Explain why you can hardly differentiate between Igbos, most SS and some North Central(Benue and Kogi) by physical appearance alone. You can easily mistake Gov. AKpabio, Gov. Imoke, Sen. David Mark, Gov. Suswan, Gov. Ameachi, Pres. Jonathan, Peter Odili as Igbos by their physical traits, but can never mistake them for Yoruba or Hausa as their physical traits differ a lot by long margin. So most of us look alike...boils down to same parentage! Most Yoruba will see me and call me Omo Igbo, until I speak Ibibio till they get it I'm not Igbo.lol!

To the OP: One thing you must know is Igbo people are very accommodating of other tribes, I have lived among them, they scare nor fear no one. They are confident in themselves, their abilities and don't see other tribes as a threat. Be appreciative that some stations and channels allot some time for Igala broadcast when Igala only constitute less thn 5% of the population. That's a huge magnanimity on the Igbos I would say. I don't know of any Abuja local channels or Radio stations that speaks Gwarri or Nupe for the real natives of the land. They have all be acculturated as northerners.

This is the best post ever on Nairaland!

N.B: I wish some insecure creeps will learn from this guy.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nogen: 7:19am On Oct 12, 2014
HisMajesty1:

I can relate with your post. your colleague's surname is my middle name. I'm from one of those communities the OP mentioned, precisely I'm from Igbedor. The truth is our people are so divided on which state to claim. some claim Anambra while others like my parent claim kogi because they can't just take the perennial discrimination from the Igbos.

You lie! IGBOS DO NOT DISCRIMINATE.

5 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Blitz888(m): 7:24am On Oct 12, 2014
I am from Umunya in Oyi LGA of Anambra State. I am fluent in Igbo and igala. I can relate to the plight of the OP perfectly. we from Anambra North Senatorial district don't discriminate against the igalas. infact, they have been with us so long that we can't even tell who is igala. it's only unfortunate that other parts of Anambra State discriminate against them...thank God we now have a Sitting governor from the Anambra North senatorial district who we hope will address this injustice done to the Anambra igalas,the senatorial district and the entire omambala people which happen to be the region that generates the highest igr, that generates the highest agricultural produce for the state and also the reason why Anambra State can rightly be called an oil producing State. The Anambra igalas are not tenants in Anambra state, they are not inferior or less anambrarian to the man from Onitsha, nnewi, awka or any other part of Anambra state. they are bonafide indegenes of the state and as such are entitled to every right and privilege accorded any Anambrarian.

15 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by omoiseselagba: 7:24am On Oct 12, 2014
The same thing is in lagos.most yorubas in lagos biliv eguns from badagry are yorubas.not all indigineous people in yoruba land are yorubas.even yorubas before the advents of islam did not call themselves yoruba.what we had then was oyo egba ijebu ekiti ife ilesha ijesha.out of oyo people is ilorin.it was the abokis that gave us yoruba as a collective name.ijebus are nt closely related to the main yorubas at all.the main yoruba tribe are the oyo while egbas ekitis etc are called sub yoruba groups.state creation has destryed a lot of tribes.nature doesn't understand boundary.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by ACM10: 7:26am On Oct 12, 2014
Op Thanks for confirming that you have never been discriminated anywhere in Anambra and Igboland in extension on the ground of your origin. But I must caution you that Anambra can not give Igalas political office based on their tribe. We don't practice zoning and federal character system in Anambra. People are picked for political offices based on merit. Igala meje. .

5 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 12, 2014
saintneo:
Igala is a minority group in Anambra, they should be accorded the greatest respect. All these tribalists wanting the Igalas to go to Kogi or get Igbonised are worse than Hitler.

If Igala language cannot be thought in school, it should be given a lot of support and their culture should be celebrated.

Thanks for being human!

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by tayoxx(m): 7:29am On Oct 12, 2014
the same way igala dey suffer other tribes in kogi....

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by gogodaye(m): 7:29am On Oct 12, 2014
This educative & emotional post by the OP & the nature of some of the comments evince the sparse knowledge of our country & its diverse peoples. It further highlights the enthroned twin evils of hegemony & the predominance of intolerance by the people of the majority ethnic nationalities to folks like the Igalas caught in this web of tyranny, e.g., the Igalas constitute the majority in Kogi state, & lord it over other ethnic nationalities there, their kith suffer similar fate in Enugu/Anambra...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by ACM10: 7:32am On Oct 12, 2014
Blitz888:
I am from Umunya in Oyi LGA of Anambra State. I am fluent in Igbo and igala. I can relate to the plight of the OP perfectly. we from Anambra North Senatorial district don't discriminate against the igalas. infact, they have been with us so long that we can't even tell who is igala. it's only unfortunate that other parts of Anambra State discriminate against them...thank God we now have a Sitting governor from the Anambra North senatorial district who we hope will address this injustice done to the Anambra igalas,the senatorial district and the entire omambala people which happen to be the region that generates the highest igr, that generates the highest agricultural produce for the state and also the reason why Anambra State can rightly be called an oil producing State. The Anambra igalas are not tenants in Anambra state, they are not inferior or less anambrarian to the man from Onitsha, nnewi, awka or any other part of Anambra state. they are bonafide indegenes of the state and as such are entitled to every right and privilege accorded any Anambrarian.

Please can you point to one example where Igalas were discriminated against in Anambra?

4 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Emyogalanya: 7:35am On Oct 12, 2014
Come o which odekpe are you talking about i hope not the one i come from in ogbaru cos no igala in my villa na because we allow you to come at our festival cos ur ppl say you have our kind of masquerade that has not been verified
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Kessyy2k4(m): 7:37am On Oct 12, 2014
OP, u did a great research work there! that's reminds of my NYSC days. i served at anambra west LGA. at IGBEDOR community, we have our HQ at NZAM, we normally get to NZAM through AGULERI crossing the water to NZAM! it's a great experience we had then. all the community mentioned by OP, are predominantly IGALA speaking people & they are great and lovely people. i like them all, i wish i could go back there!

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 12, 2014
ACM10:

Please can you point to one example where Igalas were discriminated against in Anambra?

Klinee:
The Igala in Anambra comprises of many towns;... Our language is gradually going into extintion. We speak Igala but most our young ones today speak Igbo more than our language..... I know that we are minority language in Anambra with about 5% of the population. It dosnt mean that we shouldnt be value. The government only recognise and promote Igbo language, where igbo language is being taught in every basic and post primary schools in the state. I remember in my primary school days in village where the teachers(IBOS) normally constrain us not to speak Igala in four corner of school,is either we speak Igbo or English. In the government media companies; Abs 1 & 2 radio, Abs awka tv, Abs onitsha tv, purity radio, Nta awka tv, Nta onitsha tv and many other private radio and tv stations in Anambra. Out of all these media companies only one station allow Igala language that is Abs 2. And the programme takes 10mins only in a day with just two occurance in a week. We have two languages in Anambra; Igbo and Igala. The government need to help and promote our language. I think inferiority complex is affecting our young ones due to the fact that the language is not being promoted to people of Anambra. If we are conversing in our language maybe in any of the major cities in anambra, the igbos around normally refer us as foreigner in the state because many never know that we are full blooded Anambrian. Imagine commissioner of information,tourism & culture(now former) Hon. Maja Umeh saying in a live interveiw that he did not know that igala is in anambra. We have also had discrimination mostly people from anambra central&south,enugu,abia,imo claiming that we are not anambrian....
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by buchilino(m): 7:40am On Oct 12, 2014
soonest:
@op, are u guys igalas or igbos? This thread has really educated me. I didn't know we had igala language in Anambra
me neither, woo igala in anambra this is interesting

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by eleko1: 7:42am On Oct 12, 2014
What has someone surname got to do being a bonafide igbo man? What do u say about a who bear Julius as Surname,speak Igbo dialect but from ONDO state.How would U identify his background/lineage?
adeitoro:
I said his "surname" not first name, so going by the generation of the Priest's father cultural inter/intra-relationtionship is not as what we have today.

Personally, I don't know of any Igboman born in 60's that has a non-Igbo surname.

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by RealAlfranco: 7:43am On Oct 12, 2014
Wait abeg, is it the same Igala Language dat is in Kogi state or another Igala?? Cos I don't understand this! Someone please tell me,I need help!
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by roxell120(m): 7:49am On Oct 12, 2014
Klinee:
Yea you are right many answer Igbo name. All the villages mention speak and understand Igbo language fluently but our main language is Igala.
then who are u blaming for ur love for igbo language?and again ur number is insignificant to resist such dominance.

3 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 12, 2014
new2020:

He meant to "cross river" metaphorically... in other words to acculturate. This thread further reinforces the magnitude of Igbo presence in North Central and South South. Igbo people and land have been dissected, separated, the corollary is what we have today...Igbos scattered everywhere NATIVELY in Delta, Rivers, Cross rivers, Akwa Ibom, Benue, Kogi, e.t.c. I'm Ibibio, guess what? My father speaks fluent Igbo even though he never stepped foot in the SE when he learned it. All he said was it was spoken pre-civil war in the old Cross River state; which includes today's Akwa Ibom. [b]My point is Igalas and Igbos are bothers, same with ibibios and many other tribes in SS, all have Igbo ancestry. [/b]Explain why you can hardly differentiate between Igbos, most SS and some North Central(Benue and Kogi) by physical appearance alone. You can easily mistake Gov. AKpabio, Gov. Imoke, Sen. David Mark, Gov. Suswan, Gov. Ameachi, Pres. Jonathan, Peter Odili as Igbos by their physical traits, but can never mistake them for Yoruba or Hausa as their physical traits differ a lot by long margin. So most of us look alike...boils down to same parentage! Most Yoruba will see me and call me Omo Igbo, until I speak Ibibio till they get it I'm not Igbo.lol!

To the OP: One thing you must know is Igbo people are very accommodating of other tribes, I have lived among them, they scare nor fear no one. They are confident in themselves, their abilities and don't see other tribes as a threat. Be appreciative that some stations and channels allot some time for Igala broadcast when Igala only constitute less thn 5% of the population. That's a huge magnanimity on the Igbos I would say. I don't know of any Abuja local channels or Radio stations that speaks Gwarri or Nupe for the real natives of the land. They have all be acculturated as northerners.

Mr. metaphorical interpreter you are displaying a classical case of "STOCKHOLM SYNDROME"
And quit concocting lies the IGALAs never have IGBO ancestry.
All they ask for is for you to stop imposing your language/culture in school. A lot a little respect on TV/Radio airtime and reflecting the Igala component of the Anambra community in government at least 2-5% (abi una no dey clamour for deputy governor slot for Lagos, Lagos even give Igbo Commisioner sef) as indigenes (not tenant) of Anambra state.

3 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Blitz888(m): 7:52am On Oct 12, 2014
ACM10:

Sir, Why is it that ABS &NTA don't read news in igala same way it's read in Igbo??
this is just one of the lot...

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by roxell120(m): 7:52am On Oct 12, 2014
Emyogalanya:
Come o which odekpe are you talking about i hope not the one i come from in ogbaru cos no igala in my villa na because we allow you to come at our festival cos ur ppl say you have our kind of masquerade that has not been verified
nawoo grin
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by bencobenz(m): 7:53am On Oct 12, 2014
Inoma akator.....@op thanks for opening this thread. It reminded me of my days as a Corp member in Anambra State. All through the 3weeks orientation at the camp, we keep hearing of ayamelum (I am alone) as the worst community one can be posted to due to lack of roads and light. But I was shocked when I was told I'll need to travel for about 4hrs in flying boat from Onitsha to get to my PPA....gosssh! I have never travelled by water before, so the thought of entering a boat send shivers down my spine! We started our journey, myself and other Corp members agreed we are getting a rejection letter no matter what. Getting to inoma, the story changed, very warm and hospitable people. They received us like kings, took us round the community introduced us to the King and organized a reception for us. It was at this stage we changed our minds to stay. The people in this community are bilingual. They speak igala most of the times and speak igbo when occasion demands. The communities as mentioned by the op is suffering from neglect by the successive governments. No roads, no water, no light, but in all, the people are very accommodating and hardworking.

4 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Rajosh(m): 7:55am On Oct 12, 2014
I'm igala from kogi state. I never knew anambra had igala as well.

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by tjmc: 7:55am On Oct 12, 2014
Klinee:
That is igala language not igbo
the igalas are ibos d same way most part of benue are. The problem startd with ceding some part of anambra to create kogi nd d north classifyin dat state as a north central state to give d mentality dey blong to d north

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by MNDY(m): 7:56am On Oct 12, 2014
KLINEE, wol'odudu! Oma Igala omi onugo che! Uwe d'Anambra? Ich'ane Igala e de, oma abo ugbo e che?
Can you imagine that part of the post: "I did not know that Igalas are in the state." What insensitivity!
I don't blame the Anambra government, I blame our people here in Kogi ruling us who have chosen to perpetually stagnate the state!
However, let's see how the proposed Iran car manufacturing company's establishment in the state will go!
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by ACM10: 7:57am On Oct 12, 2014
Blitz888:
Sir, Why is it that ABS &NTA don't read news in igala same way it's read in Igbo??

ABS read news in Igala after Igbo news. Get your facts right. NTA is not under state control. But do you think that there is a conscious effort to suppress Igala language in Anambra? Hell NO! On the contrary, we promote it. Unlike Yoruba and Hausa that are actively suppressing the minority languages in their midst.

4 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 12, 2014
omonuan:
Igala and Igbo have had cordial inter relationships over the centuries...
New2020 is correct, Igbo is the only tribe native to all the South South states. From Igbanke in Edo down to all the other states in the zone. There are Igala people in Edo state too. Igarra people in Edo actually speak Igala language.

IGARRA people in edo don't speak Igala. They actually speak EBIRA language.

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by roxell120(m): 7:57am On Oct 12, 2014
Blitz888:
plz plz,those companies are in business.they consider the population of d target audience.do u know how many people dat will switch off their tv wen d program starts in igala.they are not meant to plz everyone.from ur village facing north igala get muscle dat side nah

6 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by fortunes0215(m): 7:59am On Oct 12, 2014
Klinee:
Yea that is what am trying to let the world know. We are Igala and we speak Igala

I thought Igala people are basically from Kogi State. Why were you joined with Anambra State instead of Kogi. Now I know why ndi Anambra do not want to recognise you guys. Sorry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride / Ooni Ogunwusi Blasted For Kneeling In Church / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.