Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,374 members, 7,781,050 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:03 AM

What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? (18819 Views)

My Wife Over Spiritual Orientation Is Driving Me Nuts!!! / Unemployed Man Marrying An Unemployed Woman; Your Take? / Father Impreginates Daughter Insists On Marrying Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Joy83(m): 6:03am On Oct 08, 2014
yokiti:

Ijebu and Akoko; what a great combo!
Lolzzzzzzzz... I hear oooooooooo
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Joy83(m): 6:18am On Oct 08, 2014
SirShymex:

Lmao...not interested in that anymore, Miss Big Head. tongue

Apparently, I read somewhere that your Ondo folks despise the Ijebus that most. Why's that? - please educate me.

And from my scholarship, I think Ijebus are somewhat historically closer to a few Yoruba subgroups in Ondo. For example: every time I read about Ijebu arts and crafts, they're always compared to Owo's. Most scholars allude to the similarities between the two. Then you have Mahin/Ilaje who're also somewhat close to Waterside Ijebu and Itsekiris.

Let's turn the thread into a history session. I wanna see if your knowledge of Yoruba history is as extensive as what you know about international politics. grin And I hope you don't hate Ijebus as well.
Your contribution is very outstanding!
I am really enjoying all these historical thing, because I don't know more about history (I'm a geologist). In the course of this, I have also downloaded a published work on Ijebu history as uploaded by coogar here. It is really interesting I must say.
I now cherish history ooooooooo
You must be an historian?
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Missy89(f): 6:20am On Oct 08, 2014
SirShymex:

Lmao...not interested in that anymore, Miss Big Head. tongue

Apparently, I read somewhere that your Ondo folks despise the Ijebus that most. Why's that? - please educate me.

And from my scholarship, I think Ijebus are somewhat historically closer to a few Yoruba subgroups in Ondo. For example: every time I read about Ijebu arts and crafts, they're always compared to Owo's. Most scholars allude to the similarities between the two. Then you have Mahin/Ilaje who're also somewhat close to Waterside Ijebu and Itsekiris.

Let's turn the thread into a history session. I wanna see if your knowledge of Yoruba history is as extensive as what you know about international politics. grin And I hope you don't hate Ijebus as well.

I am not sure how true that is. it might depend on the subgroup within ondo state itself. I don't think the whole state hate Ijebu or are u talking of ondo town? .

On a personal note thou, i meet one before but there was a personality clash and we had this beef for each other after a week since then.Work related.

Ijebu similarities with other sub groups might be true, but i thought owo was more edo? might be wrong thou.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 08, 2014
Joy83:

Your contribution is very outstanding!
I am really enjoying all these historical thing, because I don't know more about history (I'm a geologist). In the course of this, I have also downloaded a published work on Ijebu history as uploaded by coogar here. It is really interesting I must say.
I now cherish history ooooooooo
You must be an historian?

Nah, I studied Computer Science in Uni, and moved to Computer and Network Security. But I'd say I developed interest in history and culture via my boy who was into black consciousness and Afrocentrism, and that kind of provided a leeway for me to move from ignorance, to enlightenment. And I haven't looked back since then. I basically just love reading about history and culture.

You can google Olfert Dapper. He wrote extensively about Africa in the 17th century. And there are tons of books about Ijebu history on google scholar. Most times, I just download the PDF files/journals, and read them on my ipad. Or print them at work. There are so many links on there.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Nobody: 6:47am On Oct 08, 2014
Missy89:

I am not sure how true that is. it might depend on the subgroup within ondo state itself. I don't think the whole state hate Ijebu or are u talking of ondo town? .

On a personal note thou, i meet one before but there was a personality clash and we had this beef for each other after a week since then.Work related.

Ijebu similarities with other sub groups might be true, but i thought owo was more edo? might be wrong thou.

You know I'm not that acquainted with naija that much. I basically just know the geography, and depend on what I read. So, I can't tell which of the subgroups there.

Lmao at meeting one before. I'm another one, and is there a personality clash? grin

Yeah, Owo was under Bini empire for a long time. So, Bini culture is very pronounced there. However, I was alluding to their arts and crafts, and the similarities with the Ijebus. Ijebus and Binis also influenced each other culturally. And I had a lengthy discussion about that with PhysicsQED when he was still active on here. Terracotta and Physics also discussed it in detail one time in the culture section.

I'm guessing you're not that versed in Yoruba history, yes?
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 08, 2014
Missy89

Check these links:

Origins and Empire: The Benin, Owo, and Ijebu Kingdoms http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/beni_2/hd_beni_2.htm and http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/beni_1/hd_beni_1.htm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Missy89(f): 7:15am On Oct 08, 2014
SirShymex:

You know I'm not that acquainted with naija that much. I basically just know the geography, and depend on what I read. So, I can't tell which of the subgroups there.

Lmao at meeting one before. I'm another one, and is there a personality clash? grin

Yeah, Owo was under Bini empire for a long time. So, Bini culture is very pronounced there. However, I was alluding to their arts and crafts, and the similarities with the Ijebus. Ijebus and Binis also influenced each other culturally. And I had a lengthy discussion about that with PhysicsQED when he was still active on here. Terracotta and Physics also discussed it in detail one time in the culture section.
a
I'm guessing you're not that versed in Yoruba history, yes?

I dont think so or should i say i dont have enough data that would allow me to give you an appropriate response! wink
He is an adrenaline junkie and usually make up a lot of ridiculous tales about his exploits (he is a Merc) and he gets mad anytime i disagree with his BS. Kind of a d1ck!

The little record keeping and destruction of what would have been forensic evidence for most Nigerian culture doesn't make the history attractive to me. Thou i know enough to understand the basics, I don't really think i would move beyond that.

Most of the history (i am talking about ancient ones) have been mixed with ego and misinterpretation because of the method used to preserve them.(not exclusive to yorubas alone) Only a few sources can be trusted and they can be hard to find.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 08, 2014
Missy89:

I dont think so or should i say i dont have enough data that would allow me to give you an appropriate response! wink
He is an adrenaline junkie and usually make up a lot of ridiculous tales about his exploits (he is a Merc) and he gets mad anytime i disagree with his BS. Kind of a d1ck!

The little record keeping and destruction of what would have been forensic evidence for most Nigerian culture doesn't make the history attractive to me. Thou i know enough to understand the basics, I don't really think i would move beyond that.

Most of the history (i am talking about ancient ones) have been mixed with ego and misinterpretation because of the method used to preserve them.(not exclusive to yorubas alone) Only a few sources can be trusted and they can be hard to find.

Lmao...don't you think both have a lot in common? Weren't you in Japan doing martial arts, and was meant to come to Europe, but went ghost? grin I see a lot of similarities between the both of you. And perhaps, it was a case of like poles repelling and unlike poles attracting. tongue

Anyway, don't expect what you see online from me in real life. I'm more of a private person. Also, a sneaker, music, computer, and sports junkie. You might come into my room, or get in my car, and see tons of sneakers scattered everywhere. And when I'm in my yard, I'm spontaneous. I might be up cracking jokes, then suddenly zone out as soon as I get on my laptop, with headphones in my ears. Or probably zone out when watching sports or listening to music. grin I'm also a smoker (cancer sticks). embarassed

I get what you mean. And I believe we need more archaeologists and anthropologists. But if you're a history buff - you should be able to get bits and pieces of factual stuffs from different sources, and build something from there.

Scholarships about history are like that the world over. People write history based on ego. Hence America could indoctrinate Americans about winning the 2nd world war it joined three years late, after the Soviets had already almost won the war. While Europe alluded to the Soviets as the saviours of Europe etc.. Even world history is heavily biased towards certain cultures, and I believe that hasn't stopped you from reading.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Missy89(f): 8:50am On Oct 08, 2014
SirShymex:

Lmao...don't you think both have a lot in common? Weren't you in Japan doing martial arts, and was meant to come to Europe, but went ghost? grin I see a lot of similarities between the both of you. And perhaps, it was a case of like poles repelling and unlike poles attracting. tongue

Anyway, don't expect what you see online from me in real life. I'm more of a private person. Also, a sneaker, music, computer, and sports junkie. You might come into my room, or get in my car, and see tons of sneakers scattered everywhere. And when I'm in my yard, I'm spontaneous. I might be up cracking jokes, then suddenly zone out as soon as I get on my laptop, with headphones in my ears. Or probably zone out when watching sports or listening to music. grin I'm also a smoker (cancer sticks). embarassed

I get what you mean. And I believe we need more archaeologists and anthropologists. But if you're a history buff - you should be able to get bits and pieces of factual stuffs from different sources, and build something from there.

Scholarships about history are like that the world over. People write history based on ego. Hence America could indoctrinate Americans about winning the 2nd world war it joined three years late, after the Soviets had already almost won the war. While Europe alluded to the Soviets as the saviours of Europe etc.. Even world history is heavily biased towards certain cultures, and I believe that hasn't stopped you from reading.

That might be the case. he travels a lot for gigs too.
I actually went to watch few Kendo championships didn't participate(more of a fencer). I ditched my Euro trip for a good reason thou.
What brand do u smoke? socially maybe once a while too but prefer pot grin. more healthier, less chemical u should switch!

I have been looking for factual materials online, i think i will switch to libraries. Africans generally suck at putting good information online.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 08, 2014
Missy89:

That might be the case. he travels a lot for gigs too.
I actually went to watch few Kendo championships didn't participate(more of a fencer). I ditched my Euro trip for a good reason thou.
What brand do u smoke? socially maybe once a while. prefer pot grin. more healthier, less chemical u should switch!

I have been looking for factual materials online, i think i will switch to libraries. Africans generally suck at putting good information online.

Hmmm...it seems you and my Ijebu brother had it popping before things went South. And I believe you're being economical with the truth. Don't lie, you like him init? tongue

I smoke B & H Silver and Marlboro Lights. Not a chain smoker, but a regular smoker for stress relief. I used to be a weed head, but I stopped when it started getting to me, and I had to change my lifestyle a bit for work. I still smoke probably once in every month or two, when I'm with my dargs. Weed and alcohol almost caused self-inflicted death for me. Just too many car accidents that I just had to fall back, and try to be as normal as possible. Decided to detox 3 years ago - and cancer sticks came in to bridge the gap. grin Not going back though.

I heard Schomburg Library in Harlem is super dope for black/African history. And in London, SOAS and Pimlico Libraries have got tons of books about Black/African history. Books you will never find anywhere else.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Missy89(f): 10:20am On Oct 08, 2014
SirShymex:

Hmmm...it seems you and my Ijebu brother had it popping before things went South. And I believe you're being economical with the truth. Don't lie, you like him init? tongue

I smoke B & H Silver and Marlboro Lights. Not a chain smoker, but a regular smoker for stress relief. I used to be a weed head, but I stopped when it started getting to me, and I had to change my lifestyle a bit for work. I still smoke probably once in every month or two, when I'm with my dargs. Weed and alcohol almost caused self-inflicted death for me. Just too many car accidents that I just had to fall back, and try to be as normal as possible. Decided to detox 3 years ago - and cancer sticks came in to bridge the gap. grin Not going back though.

I heard Schomburg Library in Harlem is super dope for black/African history. And in London, SOAS and Pimlico Libraries have got tons of books about Black/African history. Books you will never find anywhere else.

Nothing really happened and he wasn't hated of course (not well liked either). but based on the unwritten rule abroad, you consider Nigerian dudes (those that have their shit together)first. and since he was all that, things have been easy for him and i was like an anomaly. He disintegrated under pressure undecided And niggah kind of hated competition. He refused to be friend-zoned thou(will give him that!),and we became acquaintances.

so that's the story! smiley

Most of the pot days was in college thou. but occasionally, might still go down cool. ever tried Synthetic? no?
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by GuyFawkes: 10:26am On Oct 08, 2014
I have come across a few Yoruba folks who have unpleasant things against the Ijebus but most of their utterances lack any sort of substance and might just be tales they picked up among the older folks in their families.

Ijebus were savvy businessmen especially during the Yoruba internicine wars and mounted toll gates on the path towards Lagos which was the only way the Ibadan armies in particular could be supplied with arms, they also profited from the slave trade, not forgetting they were the pioneers in textile business during the early periods of colonization.

But all that is history and I don't see why modern yoruba folks should have biases against Ijebus anyway based on tales by moonlight. Ijebu's are very prominent in Lagos and Ogun so there's no way you won't have some sort of business to do with them. smiley

The Ijebu mistrust is prominent among Ondo folks and I wonder why My ex Gf is from Ondo town and she used to say her parents will accept any other yoruba subgroup but Ijebu.

Missy89 kentiri ke grin
Shymexx Esooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Missy89(f): 10:32am On Oct 08, 2014
GuyFawkes:
I have come across a few Yoruba folks who have unpleasant things against the Ijebus but most of their utterances lack any sort of substance and might just be tales they picked up among the older folks in their families.

Ijebus were savvy businessmen especially during the Yoruba internicine wars and mounted toll gates on the path towards Lagos which was the only way the Ibadan armies in particular could be supplied with arms, they also profited from the slave trade, not forgetting they were the pioneers in textile business during the early periods of colonization.

But all that is history and I don't see why modern yoruba folks should have biases against Ijebus anyway based on tales by moonlight. Ijebu's are very prominent in Lagos and Ogun so there's no way you won't have some sort of business to do with them. smiley

The Ijebu mistrust is prominent among Ondo folks and I wonder why My ex Gf is from Ondo town and she used to say her parents will accept any other yoruba subgroup but Ijebu.

Missy89 kentiri ke grin
Shymexx Ewa sooo

what's Kentiri ke? smiley

I think the mistrust is only within ondo town thou but i might be wrong. i am actually hearing about this friction for the first time.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by GuyFawkes: 10:38am On Oct 08, 2014
Missy89:

what's Kentiri ke? smiley

I think the mistrust is only within ondo town thou but i might be wrong. i am actually hearing about this friction for the first time.

Or is Kitire ke or Ketiri ke
I meant the standard ondo greeting

I was suprised when she told me sometime in 2012 and she never elaborated the issue. Maybe its only in ondo town.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 08, 2014
Missy89:

Nothing really happened and he wasn't hated of course (not well liked either). but based on the unwritten rule abroad, you consider Nigerian dudes (those that have their shit together)first. and since he was all that, things have been easy for him and i was like an anomaly. He disintegrated under pressure undecided And niggah kind of hated competition. He refused to be friend-zoned thou(will give him that!),and we became acquaintances.

so that's the story! smiley

Most of the pot days was in college thou. but occasionally, might still go down cool. ever tried Synthetic? no?

Lol, that's a proper Ijebu don right there. Never get friend zoned, but gotta keep the chic on the side. Who knows, she might need you someday. grin That's like some naija I met at a bar. At first, she was overly on it, then she started acting funny. I just left her alone. Boom, out of the blue one day, she just rang me. Told me she wanted to come see me...and the rest is history.

That's the Uni life, almost everyone did it. I remember all the white boys in my class who were nerds used to be pot-heads. And I was their connect. Heck, one works with Oracle now, and he just got transferred to their headquarters in America, according to his LinkedIn profile.

I started early as a teen though. It's basically a norm out here - and most kids sold it at one point or the other in their lives. Heck, where I live now which is somewhat middle class. When I first came here, there was this young naija in Sec Sch that I used to bump into everyday. One day, I must've met him at the Barbers. Then we started chatting - and he told me he didn't know I was Nigerian, and that he's Nigerian as well, and Igbo. Boom, little man told me he sells pot, and I should take his digits. grin Straight-away I saw the hustler in him. He's a good kid - and I see him with all kinds of chics all the time.

Erm, I don't know Synthetic - that must be a yank thing. You know I'm from the jungles of London Town and I've tried everything the UK has to offer. From normal skunk, to cheese, to Brum's lemon/brown cheese, to high grade, to mersh etc.. Tried the naija one as well. We need to roll a fat one and puff puff pass one day, but it has to be a weekend. And no one rolls a blunt better than me! cool
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 08, 2014
cococandy:
LOL@ people who are getting all worked up over stereotyping ish.
I can swear no one has ever said as much evil about ijebu folks as they have about mbaise people.
In fact our own bashing thread was a mile long and graced front page like a best seller novel for days.

Yet me and my darling edwife and brother dailynews were unperturbed.
lol....Cocobutter has spokethcheesy
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 08, 2014
GuyFawkes:

Missy89 kentiri ke grin
Shymexx Esooo

That's my nyggah, GuyFawkes. Are you Ijebu as well?

Anyway, you lot need to allow Ijebus of this generation, we just want to get money, and have fun. I wasn't born during kiriji wars, and I'm proud of being Yoruba. I'm definitely not stingy, fetish, wicked, or cowardly. You can't survive being a coward where I'm from. So brave I used to walk around by myself like I'm bulletproof, in some of the most dangerous places out here. And I'm from the jungle. grin

The stingy thing is just shocking to me since most Ijebus that I know would give you their right hand if it were possible. And offline, I'm probably the nicest person you'll ever meet. I don't even take life that seriously. I believe I'm living on borrowed time, so giving is the easiest thing for me to do.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by GuyFawkes: 5:22pm On Oct 08, 2014
SirShymex:

That's my nyggah, GuyFawkes. Are you Ijebu as well?

Anyway, you lot need to allow Ijebus of this generation, we just want to get money, and have fun. I wasn't born during kiriji wars, and I'm proud of being Yoruba. I'm definitely not stingy, fetish, wicked, or cowardly. You can't survive being a coward where I'm from. So brave I used to walk around by myself like I'm bulletproof, in some of the most dangerous places out here. And I'm from the jungle. grin

The stingy thing is just shocking to me since most Ijebus that I know would give you their right hand if it were possible. And offline, I'm probably the nicest person you'll ever meet. I don't even take life that seriously. I believe I'm living on borrowed time, so giving is the easiest thing for me to do.

Told you sometime ago bro I'm from Epetedo, Lagos Island, my mum is from Ijebu remo/Sagamu, her mum is from Epe ijebu side.
The thing is many yorubas especially in Lagos are interwoven with Ijebu somehow so we are one.

Don't believe in all those silly tales about Ijebus, its actually very stale and most Yorubas don't believe it in this modern day. How can the folks who throw the largest and flamboyant parties be regarded as stingy There's always a party in Ikorodu,Epe,Ijebu Ode every weekend.

As someone alluded to earlier albeit in a miscontrued manner, Ijebu women have always been very industrious and they've been owning properties from way back, I doubt there's a street in Lagos they don't own properties and that's talking about the women from the old days. Not to forget they also introduced the Damask material to Nigeria to mention a few.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 08, 2014
GuyFawkes:

Told you sometime ago bro I'm from Epetedo, Lagos Island, my mum is from Ijebu remo/Sagamu, her mum is from Epe ijebu side.
The thing is many yorubas especially in Lagos are interwoven with Ijebu somehow so we are one.

Don't believe in all those silly tales about Ijebus, its actually very stale and most Yorubas don't believe it in this modern day. How can the folks who throw the largest and flamboyant parties be regarded as stingy There's always a party in Ikorodu,Epe,Ijebu Ode every weekend.

As someone alluded to earlier albeit in a miscontrued manner, Ijebu women have always been very industrious and they've been owning properties from way back, I doubt there's a street in Lagos they don't own properties and that's talking about the women from the old days. Not to forget they also introduced the Damask material to Nigeria to mention a few.

My bad, I knew you were from Lagos but forgot about ya Ijebu links. So, we the Lagos Ijebus are increasing on these sides lol. I know Pstylish is Épe Ijebu like me. And there was another guy from Germany, who used to be a regular in the foreign section. I believe he is also Lagos Ijebu apparently from Ibeju Lekki axis. Lagos Ijebu connect.

Anyway, can you please educate me on the history of Epetedo?
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by GuyFawkes: 8:34pm On Oct 08, 2014
SirShymex:

My bad, I knew you were from Lagos but forgot about ya Ijebu links. So, we the Lagos Ijebus are increasing on these sides lol. I know Pstylish is Épe Ijebu like me. And there was another guy from Germany, who used to be a regular in the foreign section. I believe he is also Lagos Ijebu apparently from Ibeju Lekki axis. Lagos Ijebu connect.

Anyway, can you please educate me on the history of Epetedo?

To summarise it Epetedo in present Lagos Island was where Kosoko and his followers (the war chief Oshodi Tapa prominent amongst them) settled in circa 1862 after he returned from Epe on exile, no thanks to the tussle with Akitoye who was supported by the British.

The Epetedo area is laid out into 21 compounds to the best of my knowledge and Kosokos followers settled there. I came across bits of information when I studied the Oshodi Tapa, Oba Eshinlokun and Kosoko's war chief who you know migrated from Bida in present Niger state.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 08, 2014
GuyFawkes:

To summarise it Epetedo in present Lagos Island was where Kosoko and his followers (the war chief Oshodi Tapa prominent amongst them) settled in circa 1862 after he returned from Epe on exile, no thanks to the tussle with Akitoye who was supported by the British.

The Epetedo area is laid out into 21 compounds to the best of my knowledge and Kosokos followers settled there. I came across bits of information when I studied the Oshodi Tapa, Oba Eshinlokun and Kosoko's war chief who you know migrated from Bida in present Niger state.

Thanks for the insightful post, brother. The name makes sense now. I believe there is another Awori settlement in Épe and it seems they are the ones who remained in Épe, after King Kosoko returned back to the Island, from exile.

Anyway, during the "mythBusters" series last year, I came across a few research papers, it seems almost all Yorubas have different settlements on the Island, including the Saros and Amaros. And the names of those areas represent which group settled there, and that transcended into the Eyo festival thing. I went to the Brazilian bit when I was in Lagos last Dec., and they still have the Portuguese street names, and the Brazilian influence is evident there.

Also, I think the Ijebus were the second to settle there after the Aworis, before the Binis came. Which parts of Lagos Island are Ijebu settlements?

I know Akitoye. Wasn't he the first proper Yoruba King of Lagos Island, without any Bini connection? Not sure - will have to check my scholarship archives.

And aren't this generation of Oshodi Tapa's descendants called, "Dawodu?" I met a naija Uncle one time, during a discussion about Lagos history in a family gathering, and he alluded to this. He said his surname is Dawodu but he's from Oshodi Tapa's lineage.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by GuyFawkes: 10:25pm On Oct 08, 2014
SirShymex:

Thanks for the insightful post, brother. The name makes sense now. I believe there is another Awori settlement in Épe and it seems they are the ones who remained in Épe, after King Kosoko returned back to the Island, from exile.

Anyway, during the "mythBusters" series last year, I came across a few research papers, it seems almost all Yorubas have different settlements on the Island, including the Saros and Amaros. And the names of those areas represent which group settled there, and that transcended into the Eyo festival thing. I went to the Brazilian bit when I was in Lagos last Dec., and they still have the Portuguese street names, and the Brazilian influence is evident there.

Also, I think the Ijebus were the second to settle there after the Aworis, before the Binis came. Which parts of Lagos Island are Ijebu settlements?

I know Akitoye. Wasn't he the first proper Yoruba King of Lagos Island, without any Bini connection? Not sure - will have to check my scholarship archives.

And aren't this generation of Oshodi Tapa's descendants called, "Dawodu?" I met a naija Uncle one time, during a discussion about Lagos history in a family gathering, and he alluded to this. He said his surname is Dawodu but he's from Oshodi Tapa's lineage.

Yes some followers of Kosoko did remain behind in Epe, although Epe is a distinctly Ijebu town there are some natives regarded as Lagos Epe folks no doubt Kosoko followers. So we have Lagos Epe and Ijebu Epe.

Most settlers who came from the hinterland as well as slave returnees had a part of Lagos Island they settled in. Sierra Leonian and the Brazilian returnees. Sierra Leonians or “Saros” in Local parlance settled in Olowogbowo and Ofin areas of the business districts. The Agudas as the Brazilian refugees were called occupied an area between Tinubu and Campus Square.

The Nupes and other northern emigrants occupied Lafiaji Ago (Obalende) and the precincts of the Lagos Central Mosque while the Mahins and Eguns settled at Oke Faji. Ikoyi and Victoria Island were occupied by refugees from the former Gold Coast (Ghana) victims of the Ashante Fanti Civil war, while the Lekki peninsula was occupied by the Aworis, Ijebus and Dahomeans.

From my little research I believe the Ijebus were already settling to the south of the coast as at the 15th century. Idumagbo,Idumota and Ebute Ero are no doubt Ijebu settlements on Lagos island where they transacted business.

Oba Akitoye was the first Oba not to be buried in a Bini. Prior to this, all the Kings of lagos were buried in Bini. It was during his reign the Bini influence over Lagos ended. So I think he also had a Bini connection doesn't mean he wasn't yoruba so to speak

Yeah the uncle was right Dawodu is a lineage of Oshodi tapa, probably started from one of his 47 children named Daudu.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Nobody: 12:14am On Oct 09, 2014
GuyFawkes:

Yes some followers of Kosoko did remain behind in Epe, although Epe is a distinctly Ijebu town there are some natives regarded as Lagos Epe folks no doubt Kosoko followers. So we have Lagos Epe and Ijebu Epe.

Most settlers who came from the hinterland as well as slave returnees had a part of Lagos Island they settled in. Sierra Leonian and the Brazilian returnees. Sierra Leonians or “Saros” in Local parlance settled in Olowogbowo and Ofin areas of the business districts. The Agudas as the Brazilian refugees were called occupied an area between Tinubu and Campus Square.

The Nupes and other northern emigrants occupied Lafiaji Ago (Obalende) and the precincts of the Lagos Central Mosque while the Mahins and Eguns settled at Oke Faji. Ikoyi and Victoria Island were occupied by refugees from the former Gold Coast (Ghana) victims of the Ashante Fanti Civil war, while the Lekki peninsula was occupied by the Aworis, Ijebus and Dahomeans.

From my little research I believe the Ijebus were already settling to the south of the coast as at the 15th century. Idumagbo,Idumota and Ebute Ero are no doubt Ijebu settlements on Lagos island where they transacted business.

Oba Akitoye was the first Oba not to be buried in a Bini. Prior to this, all the Kings of lagos were buried in Bini. It was during his reign the Bini influence over Lagos ended. So I think he also had a Bini connection doesn't mean he wasn't yoruba so to speak

Yeah the uncle was right Dawodu is a lineage of Oshodi tapa, probably started from one of his 47 children named Daudu.

Very insightful and educative. What about the Egbas and Ijeshas (you missed them in your post), where did they settle on the Island? I know a lot of Yoruba academics of the Yoruba renaissance with Lagos as the new Mecca in the 19th and early 20th were of Egba and Ijesha descent. I believe the Ekitis were the first settlers around where the British colonial rail terminal was in Iddo. And I think that is on the mainland, if I'm right. And Oyos settled in Ikoyi.

Yes, I got the Akitoye bit lol. Anyway, do you know any of the former Lagos King's grand children from London? I know some guy who's from Peckham, born and raised as well, but lived in naija for like 2 years in boarding school. He's an "older" in his 30s and one of originals - an OG. Apparently, he said his grandad was the former King. He's family though.

So, the Dawodu is just one branch of Oshodi Tapa's lineage. I know there are still Oshodis out there. And they are Yorubanised nupes. Great. There are also Dawodus from Ikorodu, who are Ijebus.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by GuyFawkes: 9:21am On Oct 09, 2014
SirShymex:

Very insightful and educative. What about the Egbas and Ijeshas (you missed them in your post), where did they settle on the Island? I know a lot of Yoruba academics of the Yoruba renaissance with Lagos as the new Mecca in the 19th and early 20th were of Egba and Ijesha descent. I believe the Ekitis were the first settlers around where the British colonial rail terminal was in Iddo. And I think that is on the mainland, if I'm right. And Oyos settled in Ikoyi.

Yes, I got the Akitoye bit lol. Anyway, do you know any of the former Lagos King's grand children from London? I know some guy who's from Peckham, born and raised as well, but lived in naija for like 2 years in boarding school. He's an "older" in his 30s and one of originals - an OG. Apparently, he said his grandad was the former King. He's family though.

So, the Dawodu is just one branch of Oshodi Tapa's lineage. I know there are still Oshodis out there. And they are Yorubanised nupes. Great. There are also Dawodus from Ikorodu, who are Ijebus.

As for where the Egbas settled look no further than the Saros, the Saros are actually the Egbas who returned from slavery, some made their way back to Abeokuta and were the pioneers of the CMS in Nigeria alongside the Europeans. Olowogbowo in Lagos Island was their abode although a good number of them were settled in Ebute Metta by the colonials.

According to what I read sometime ago
The southwest part of Ido Island was settled by a group of migrants whose origins were traced to Aramoko in the Ekiti area. This group's first headman, Kueji, married an Ido woman, one Isikoko by name, and they settled at Ijo-Ara (Ijora) where Kueji took the Ojora titles, Aro and Odofin, eventually arose within the Ojora line.

The Ijeshas were prominent in Lagos Island then and were very educated fellows, Haastrup family in Lagos are from Ijesha. The first Haastrup Kumokun was a slave returnee via Sierra Leone. In Lagos, he acquired large tracts of property at Ibeju Lekki and present day Igbobi, where he cultivated Kola-nuts (Yoruba: obi)on a commercial scale. The area consequently became known as igbo-obi (kola nut plantation)subsequently shortened to Igbobi a well known area of Lagos.

Kúmókụn Haastrup became known in Ijéṣaland during the Kiriji wars [1877-1893], when he was a member of the Ekiti parapo solidarity group in Lagos. The organization supplied arms to Ijéṣa warriors who were at war with Ibadan. He was later pivotal in advising the Owa (King) during peace negotiations with the British and Ibadan that brokered the end of hostilities.

The founder of Onikoyi family lived at Oke-Ipa on Ikoyi Island, named after his ancestral home which was believed to have been in Old Oyo. Adeyemi a leader of the Oke-Ipa settlement married Efunluyi, daughter of Meku aromire, who was believed to be the sixth title holder of the Aromire line. In honour of her deliverance of a son, called Muti, Chief Meku allocated to his daughter and son-in-law a plot of land near Iga Aromire "Aromire Court", on Lagos Island. The house built on that plot became Iga Onikoyi and Aromire's son-in-law the first holder of an Idejo title in Lagos, the Onikoyi title. All in all, four related Idejo chieftaincies came out of the Aromire line: Aromire itself, Onitolo, Onitano, and Onikoyi.

Oba Oyekan was the former king if that's the one the person was talking about, I know some names of his children.

One of Oshodi Tapa's 47 children was named Daudu so I guess he started that branch cos not all of them retained the Oshodi name but there are many of them out there, I know some very close to my family no doubt because of the Epetedo connection. They earned the right to be called Lagosians anyway. Nupes are cousins of the yorubas looking at it in hindsight.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 09, 2014
GuyFawkes:

As for where the Egbas settled look no further than the Saros, the Saros are actually the Egbas who returned from slavery, some made their way back to Abeokuta and were the pioneers of the CMS in Nigeria alongside the Europeans. Olowogbowo in Lagos Island was their abode although a good number of them were settled in Ebute Metta by the colonials.

The southwest part of Ido Island was settled by a group of migrants whose origins were traced to Aramoko in the Ekiti area. This group's first headman, Kueji, married an Ido woman, one Isikoko by name, and they settled at Ijo-Ara (Ijora) where Kueji took the Ojora titles, Aro and Odofin, eventually arose within the Ojora line.

The Ijeshas were prominent in Lagos Island then and were very educated fellows, Haastrup family in Lagos are from Ijesha. The first Haastrup Kumokun was a slave returnee via Sierra Leone. In Lagos, he acquired large tracts of property at Ibeju Lekki and present day Igbobi, where he cultivated Kola-nuts (Yoruba: obi)on a commercial scale. The area consequently became known as igbo-obi (kola nut plantation)subsequently shortened to Igbobi a well known area of Lagos.

Kúmókụn Haastrup became known in Ijéṣaland during the Kiriji wars [1877-1893], when he was a member of the Ekiti parapo solidarity group in Lagos. The organization supplied arms to Ijéṣa warriors who were at war with Ibadan. He was later pivotal in advising the Owa (King) during peace negotiations with the British and Ibadan that brokered the end of hostilities.

The founder of Onikoyi family lived at Oke-Ipa on Ikoyi Island, named after his ancestral home which was believed to have been in Old Oyo. Adeyemi a leader of the Oke-Ipa settlement married Efunluyi, daughter of Meku aromire, who was believed to be the sixth title holder of the Aromire line. In honour of her deliverance of a son, called Muti, Chief Meku allocated to his daughter and son-in-law a plot of land near Iga Aromire "Aromire Court", on Lagos Island. The house built on that plot became Iga Onikoyi and Aromire's son-in-law the first holder of an Idejo title in Lagos, the Onikoyi title. All in all, four related Idejo chieftaincies came out of the Aromire line: Aromire itself, Onitolo, Onitano, and Onikoyi.

Oba Oyekan was the former king if that's the one the person was talking about, I know some names of his children.

One of Oshodi Tapa's 47 children was named Daudu so I guess he started that branch cos not all of them retained the Oshodi name but there are many of them out there, I know some very close to my family no doubt because of the Epetedo connection. They earned the right to be called Lagosians anyway. Nupes are cousins of the yorubas looking at it in hindsight.

Very insightful and educative.

Thanks a lot.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Kanwulia: 6:13pm On Oct 09, 2014
ladygogo:
Lol. This thread funny die.! grin.

Lol. @alutacontinua. Bad azs combo. grin you will be a good money manager o.

I bet kanwulia is from space. grin grin

The stereotyping is worse amongst ekiti people. Even my Dads driver(an ekiti man) will tell you he can't stand ijebu people.lol

One SCRUFFFFFFY IJEBU DUDE wey lice full im head and BLOKOS try to chase me with Garri and bushmeat in UNIBEN those days. embarassed

I just take broom sweep am out of my compound!

Local tin!
Verrrry DIRTY!!!!
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Joy83(m): 6:32pm On Oct 09, 2014
Kanwulia:

One SCRUFFFFFFY IJEBU DUDE wey lice full im head and BLOKOS try to chase me with Garri and bushmeat in UNIBEN those days. embarassed

Local tin!
Verrrry DIRTY!!!!

Are you now saying you can't do with Ijebus
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Acidosis(m): 7:29pm On Oct 09, 2014
Kanwulia:

Local tin!
Verrrry DIRTY!!!!

I don die grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by ifyalways(f): 9:17pm On Oct 09, 2014
Kanwulia:

Local tin!
Verrrry DIRTY!!!!
Hahaha.

Have a pleasant trip, AJ. kiss
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by TheShopKeeper(m): 9:29pm On Oct 09, 2014
GuyFawkes:

Please where can I get to read all these? thanks
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by GuyFawkes: 10:56pm On Oct 09, 2014
TheShopKeeper:

Please where can I get to read all these? thanks

Look for books on Lagos history in your library, I also did some findings myself from old lagos islanders.
Re: What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? by Kanwulia: 4:39pm On Oct 12, 2014
ifyalways:

Hahaha.

Have a pleasant trip, AJ. kiss

Thank you my dear. . . I don come back! kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Abdul Rahaman's Birthday / Things You Wish You Did Before Getting Married / Getting Married Without A Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.