Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. (8491 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / A Thread For Catholics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by plaetton: 6:56pm On Nov 27, 2014
Image123:

Have you ever listened to Dr. Ravi Zacharias? I highly recommend him.

For what, if I may ask?
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Hiswordxray(m): 6:58pm On Nov 27, 2014
dalaman:

What is God?
Stop pretending like you are seeking for God. And stop asking question you don't really want answers to.
If you want to become an atheist fine go be an atheist and enjoy the atheist life.

But if you real want to find God here is a tip - God is not logical but spiritual. You can't find God with your brain but with your heart. God is love and when it comes to love it is a thing of the heart.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by dalaman: 7:32pm On Nov 27, 2014
Hiswordxray:

Stop pretending like you are seeking for God. And stop asking question you don't really want answers to.
If you want to become an atheist fine go be an atheist and enjoy the atheist life.

But if you real want to find God here is a tip - God is not logical but spiritual. You can't find God with your brain but with your heart. God is love and when it comes to love it is a thing of the heart.

The God you are espousing is actually a logical one else you wouldn't believe in the idea. It is when you are meet with thought provoking questions that you throw the God is not logical mantra to explain things that don't make sense because you still want to keep believing. Reason and logic is what you use when explaining God to people. What do you mean when you say God is love?
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Image123(m): 9:04pm On Nov 27, 2014
For your many questions and crises of the faith.
plaetton:

For what, if I may ask?
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by plaetton: 9:32pm On Nov 27, 2014
Image123:
For your many questions and crises of the faith.

This is amazing.
This is part of what I am talking about.
You guys hear one thing, and then magically turn it into another thing just so that it can fit your mind and worldviews.

I cannot suffer from a crisis of faith because I Never had it. Faith has never made sense to me from childhood to present.
Faith has zero value to me, so how could I suffer from a crisis of faith?
Crisis of faith is for those of you already yolked, yearning for freedom, but afraid to get out.
Only Christians suffer from it.
I see and hear it in their long, windy and loud prayers every single day.
I have loooong trascended faith.

1 Like

Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Image123(m): 10:31pm On Nov 27, 2014
Just listen to him when you can.
plaetton:

This is amazing.
This is part of what I am talking about.
You guys hear one thing, and then magically turn it into another thing just so that it can fit your mind and worldviews.

I cannot suffer from a crisis of faith because I Never had it. Faith has never made sense to me from childhood to present.
Faith has zero value to me, so how could I suffer from a crisis of faith?
Crisis of faith is for those of you already yolked, yearning for freedom, but afraid to get out.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Nobody: 3:40am On Nov 28, 2014
dalaman:

The God you are espousing is actually a logical one else you wouldn't believe in the idea. It is when you are meet with thought provoking questions that you throw the God is not logical mantra to explain things that don't make sense because you still want to keep believing. Reason and logic is what you use when explaining God to people. What do you mean when you say God is love?
To understand God, one needs to get rid of all limitations that bind men. He is beyond form, time and space. Thats how God can be love, and when we describe Him as that, it is not a metaphor. Pure, unselfish love is God in one of His many forms/manifestations. Love is God.

Did you just preach right there?
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by dalaman: 5:01am On Nov 28, 2014
muafrika:
To understand God, one needs to get rid of all limitations that bind men. He is beyond form, time and space. Thats how God can be love, and when we describe Him as that, it is not a metaphor. Pure, unselfish love is God in one of His many forms/manifestations. Love is God.

Did you just preach right there?

Stating that God is beyond form, time and space does not help us in understanding God in any way. It is just a heavy loaded statement that does no real work in reality. I i start asking you to be specific in your explanation I very much believe that you won't be able to do that, because I just don't understand how God being formless, timeless and space-less equates to God being love. How is God love?

The bible says that love is not jealous, but the same bible has God saying he is a jealous God. How do you square that out? Explain how God is love with specific and verifiable examples of his love in the life of those that believe in him which can be shown to be absent in the lives of those that do not believe in him.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by frank317: 7:50am On Nov 28, 2014
God loves so much and wouldnt want you to perish in hisbm hell. His love is pure and faultless and he is calling on you to seek him so that you might find life. He needs you to come to him that's why he is always knocking on your door.

But God is God and no respecter of any man... His maketh evil and good. He is a God of justice and will do what he wants. He will only reveal himself to you when he wants to and there is nothing anyone can do about it. He does things on his terms but not ur. Sorry this might sound harsh but that is the way it is.

Now I don't know who is more confused... Christians or their God.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by zyzxx(m): 7:54am On Nov 28, 2014
Hiswordxray I love ur testimony.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by zyzxx(m): 7:58am On Nov 28, 2014
frank317:
God loves so much and wouldnt want you to perish in hisbm hell. His love is pure and faultless and he is calling on you to seek him so that you might find life. He needs you to come to him that's why he is always knocking on your door.

But God is God and no respecter of any man... His maketh evil and good. He is a God of justice and will do what he wants. He will only reveal himself to you when he wants to and there is nothing anyone can do about it. He does things on his terms but not ur. Sorry this might sound harsh but that is the way it is.

Now I don't know who is more confused... Christians or their God.
here. U are d one dat is confuse. All what u are sayin seems right to u, but u are out.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Tranglatar(m): 8:53am On Nov 28, 2014
dalaman:

What is God?

Were you not the one that posted this:
dalaman:

That is my problem with the God concept, it does no real work in reality. God is just like an abstract idea that can be used to mean anything. Humans don't act that way. If God reveals himself to humans then why is the need for God needing humans to propagate his message? Why not just reveal himself to all humans to end all doubt? After all he wants all humans to know him and receive his salvation. God is not who he is in my opinion. God is just what we humans that believe in the God idea make him what we want him to be. That is my own conclusion about the God hypothesis.

So you know HIM but may be we differ in understanding or name we call HIM
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Tranglatar(m): 8:58am On Nov 28, 2014
muafrika:
I like the sound of that books name. What is its genre?

The Dark Night of the Soul
Essentially it's a book by St John of the Cross (the Catholic Mystic) on his experiences when it seemed GOD was not there (for him) and he was on his own.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 28, 2014
Tranglatar:

The Dark Night of the Soul
Essentially it's a book by St John of the Cross (the Catholic Mystic) on his experiences when it seemed GOD was not there (for him) and he was on his own.
I'll be looking for it.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 28, 2014
dalaman:

Stating that God is beyond form, time and space does not help us in understanding God in any way. It is just a heavy loaded statement that does no real work in reality. I i start asking you to be specific in your explanation I very much believe that you won't be able to do that, because I just don't understand how God being formless, timeless and space-less equates to God being love. How is God love?

The bible says that love is not jealous, but the same bible has God saying he is a jealous God. How do you square that out? Explain how God is love with specific and verifiable examples of his love in the life of those that believe in him which can be shown to be absent in the lives of those that do not believe in him.
Unfortunately even the evil have his love. That is how they can spite God and lightening won't strike them.

The jelousy is warranted by the relationship between God and His people. Its like the relation between a man and His wife. When the...
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 28, 2014
@dalaman
...When the woman (us) gets into a similar relation with another god, you will know God as a consuming fire. I have seen both sides of God so yes He is love, cuddly and all that, and He can also be terrible.

I could give more examples of love specific to you if I could see your face.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Religionsection(f): 9:41am On Nov 28, 2014
Image123:
Just listen to him when you can.
Nice reply!
I highly recommend it to too, platteon! smiley
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by dalaman: 11:04am On Nov 28, 2014
muafrika:
Unfortunately even the evil have his love. That is how they can spite God and lightening won't strike them.

The jelousy is warranted by the relationship between God and His people. Its like the relation between a man and His wife. When the...

Why are you the one that is telling me all these?If there really is an all powerful God that really wants to be in a relationship with me and save my life according to the christian theology we won't be here having this discussion. We are only having this discussion, and you are giving me your personal opinion and idea of what God is or is supposed to be because that God isn't there. In the words of mazaje, God is just an idea, a perception and a conception. There is nothing more to that.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 28, 2014
dalaman:

Why are you the one that is telling me all these?If there really is an all powerful God that really wants to be in a relationship with me and save my life according to the christian theology we won't be here having this discussion. We are only having this discussion, and you are giving me your personal opinion and idea of what God is or is supposed to be because that God isn't there. In the words of mazaje, God is just an idea, a perception and a conception. There is nothing more to that.
I was answering your question. You are right. Only God can reveal Himself to a person, so am not trying to do His job. I also think it lasts longer/more genuine when He does it. But if you ask me of my understanding, I will share it.

As per your opinion, would you expext Him to force you toward Him. Would that be true love on your part?

Like I said, I would give you better answers if I knew the kind of a person you were, because these things are veiled from some people.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Hiswordxray(m): 12:33pm On Nov 28, 2014
dalaman:

What do you mean when you say God is love?
Please go back to the beginning of this trend and read my first three post.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Hiswordxray(m): 12:44pm On Nov 28, 2014
plaetton:

You are yet to tell us how you couldn't stop committing sin.
How the guilt was too much for you.
How you figured out that the only way to be free of this guilt and fear is to reject the Christian faith.

But tell me seen when you have been telling yourself lies that even you don't believe, had it been working?
Are you finally free from that guilt and fear?
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Hiswordxray(m): 12:49pm On Nov 28, 2014
dalaman:

Read my first two and fifth posts on this trend.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by plaetton: 1:23pm On Nov 28, 2014
Hiswordxray:

You are yet to tell us how you couldn't stop committing sin.
How the guilt was too much for you.
How you figured out that the only way to be free of this guilt and fear is to reject the Christian faith.

But tell me seen when you have been telling yourself lies that even you don't believe, had it been working?
Are you finally free from that guilt and fear?
I really think you dense in the brain, because all that I have posted on this thread have failed to satisfy your urge to demonize me.

I live a far more responsible and far more righteous life than every single Christian that I have known in my entire life. And I am in my 40s.

This is why I maintain that Christianity is meaningless. It confers nothing good, nothing worthy of emulation to an individual.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Religionsection(f): 2:16pm On Nov 28, 2014
plaetton:

I really think you dense in the brain, because all that I have posted on this thread have failed to satisfy your urge to demonize me.

I live a far more responsible and far more righteous life than every single Christian that I have known in my entire life. And I am in my 40s.

This is why I maintain that Christianity is meaningless. It confers nothing good, nothing worthy of emulation to an individual.

You are really responsible! Wow!
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Nov 28, 2014
plaetton:

It is absolutely a futile attempt to attain righteousness because you have transgressed all of God's commandments. It is when you accept Jesus as your Lord and saviour through His redemptive work, that God sees you as righteous.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by plaetton: 2:36pm On Nov 28, 2014
Bidam:
It is absolutely a futile attempt to attain righteousness because you have transgressed all of God's commandments. It is when you accept Jesus as your Lord and saviour through His redemptive work, that God sees you as righteous.

That is exactly why I am far above your silly and puny little god.
That's the point I have been trying to make in this thread, namely; that I and others have long transcended the lowly domains of gods and those that believe in gods.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by plaetton: 2:40pm On Nov 28, 2014
Bidam:
Correction sir.
I DID NOT say that I was trying to attain righteousness.
I SAID that I live a far more righteous , virtuous and responsible life than every single Christian that I have known in my entire life.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by shdemidemi(m): 2:47pm On Nov 28, 2014
plaetton:

Correction sir.
I DID NOT say that I was trying to attain righteousness.
I SAID that I live a far more righteous , virtuous and responsible life than every single Christian that I have known in my entire life.
one question please-

Can you ever love someone who hates you?
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by plaetton: 2:51pm On Nov 28, 2014
shdemidemi:

one question please-

Can you ever love someone who hates you?
No.
I have my way of neutralizing hate directed at me.
However, if I am threatened, then my Darwinian instincts kick into Defcon 2 mode.
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by shdemidemi(m): 3:03pm On Nov 28, 2014
plaetton:

No.
I have my way of neutralizing hate directed at me.
However, if I am threatened, then my Darwinian instincts kick into Defcon 2 mode.

Thanks for you answer. The ability to love one who hate you is required by anyone who profess christianity. This fit is quite impossible by a non-christian as it is illogial and it contrast how our thinking as humans is wired. If you find this difficult to do and yet you see yourself better than all the supposed christians you know, they just might not be practising the faith or better put, all the christians you know might just be babes in the faith.

1 Like

Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by Hiswordxray(m): 3:08pm On Nov 28, 2014
plaetton:

Do you read my fifth post where I quoted you.
If you read it you will realize how this meaningless Christianity had transform my life.
And I also mentioned that I live a life free from sickness and diseases. Can your wisdom and righteousness attain that for you?
Re: Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. by plaetton: 3:17pm On Nov 28, 2014
shdemidemi:

Thanks for you answer. The ability to love one who hate you is required by anyone who profess christianity. This fit is quite impossible by a non-christian as it is illogial and it contrast how our thinking as humans is wired. If you find this difficult to do and yet you see yourself better than all the supposed christians you know, they just might not be practising the faith or better put, all the christians you know might just be babes in the faith.
With all due respect, I say bullshyte.
Which universe are you living in?

I have never ever, I repeat, never ever met a Christian who loved his/her neighbor as himself, talk less of loving his/enemy.

This is why I said that Christianity is built on cascades upon cascades of meaningless things.

For example, Christian slave traders who came yo Africa with their bibles and blood soaked swords and guns, did they love their neighbors and their enemies?

Did the Christian crusaders show Christ like love to their Moslem enemies?

Do you, sir, express your Christian love towards Book Haram members?

Sorry to be so harsh, but the Christianity is a useless and meaningless bogey packaged and sold to poor , powerless, unenlightened and unintelligent people all over the world.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pope Francis Urges Nigerians To Imbibe Religious Tolerance / Chris Oyakhilome, Is He A Man From Satan? / Prayer Points Rccg 50days Fasting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.