Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

Shrien Dewani Denies Plot To Murder Wife Anni - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Shrien Dewani Denies Plot To Murder Wife Anni (621 Views)

Dangote Denies Being Among Hostages At Radisson Blu Hotel, Mali / Assassins Paid N300,000 To Murder London-Based Nigerian Arrested In Lagos (Pic) / Ex-Policeman Trailed Over Attempt To Murder Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Shrien Dewani Denies Plot To Murder Wife Anni by newsnow: 3:17pm On Oct 06, 2014
or a man to have paid the bride price of a woman and spent so much to bankroll the wedding ceremony and during the honeymoon, the wife got shot right in the presence of his beloved husband by armed gang. How can this be interpreted and judged depends on the application of human logic. But logic may not reveal intention in some cases.

British businessman Shrien Dewani has formally pleaded not guilty to murdering his wife on their honeymoon in South Africa in 2010. Mr Dewani, from Bristol, is accused of hiring a hitman to kill his wife Anni.

The couple were held at gunpoint while being driven in a taxi through Gugulethu township near Cape Town.

Mr Dewani, 34, who was thrown from the taxi, has told Western Cape Crown Court his "whole world came crashing down" when his wife was found shot dead.

Mr Dewani faces five charges including murder and lying about the circumstances of Anni's death.

Prosecutors argue that Mr Dewani conspired with Cape Town residents Zola Tongo, Mziwamadoda Qwabe and Xolile Mngeni to kill his wife.

Forensic evidence presented to the court heard the fatal shot was delivered "at close range", with a suggestion that Mrs Dewani might have been grabbing on to "someone or something" at the time she died.

Through defence lawyer Francois Van Zyl, Mr Dewani said he has "had sexual interaction with both males and females".

Anni Dewani's sister Ami Denborg (l) and mother Nilam Hindocha (r) arrive at court

Anni Dewani's sister, Ami Denborg (l) and mother Nilam Hindocha (r) attended the first day of the court case

"I consider myself to be bisexual," the court was told.

"My sexual interactions with males were mostly physical experiences or email chats with people I met online or in clubs, including prostitutes," Mr Dewani's witness statement said.

Mr Dewani said he had abnormally low levels of hormones, rendering his chances of having children slim. He said he discussed this with Anni, whom he began dating in summer 2009.

The court also heard of a volatile relationship between the newlyweds, including an "angry disagreement" in May 2010.

A letter sent later from Mr Dewani said "I really do love you. Want to be with you forever."

But Anni wanted to call off the wedding claiming Mr Dewani was "too controlling".

"We really frustrated each other, we were in love," he said through his lawyer.

The pair married later in 2010 and travelled to South Africa for their honeymoon. According to Mr Dewani, he bought flexible tickets for the trip.

It was when the couple arrived in Cape Town that Mr Dewani met taxi driver Zola Tonga, who has already admitted his part in Anni's murder.

Tonga told Mr Dewani he was an "executive tour guide", and was asked to hire a helicopter as a surprise for Anni.

The driver, according to Mr Dewani, also helped to change £5,000 in order to get "a good market rate".

On the night of Anni's death Mr Dewani was carrying "a large amount of cash", and Tongo had texted Mr Dewani to ask if he still had money for the helicopter ride.

Later, when they were in the taxi, Tongo pulled off the motorway and the car was stopped.

"The next thing I recall is somebody next to me, who told me to lie down. The person had a gun in his hand. He was waving the gun in the air," Mr Dewani's statement said.

"We were both terrified and immediately complied with his demands. I was lying half on top of Anni. Another person was behind the steering wheel. I do not know where Tongo was at that stage."

Then, one of the gang asked Mr Dewani to get out of the car. When he refused, the court heard, a gun was held at his head before he got out of the car.

He then tried to find help before being taken back to his hotel by police.

Mr Dewani said he later met Tongo who he felt "sorry" for and had planned to give him some money.

.com

Source: BBC NEWS

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

I Don't Regret Killing My Baby, I Wanted To Be Free - 25yr Old Mum / Breaking News: Bomb Scatters Maiduguri Market Again / Multiple Blasts Hit Maiduguri Markets, Many Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.