Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,854 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:45 AM

How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? (26353 Views)

How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? / Can you translate this Colours In Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 09, 2014
shizzle11:

All three same thing, How? not possible, Stick to the ones you know biko cheesy
Hahahaha you know they all look like purple, I tried na lol
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by fabela(f): 12:31pm On Oct 09, 2014
Green.....awawa
Red.........ndaidad
White......afia
Orange.....sokoro
Milky.........ndana ndana
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by fabela(f): 12:36pm On Oct 09, 2014
Pretyangel25:

Green-colour mfang ukom
red- ndaida
brown-colour nkarafang
grey- colour iwatt
lol i try na
Dimi lemme skool yu...
Green na awawa
White na afia
Black na inwewen
Orange na sokoro inshort mek i stop
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by shizzle11(m): 12:39pm On Oct 09, 2014
xcelsia:
Hahahaha you know they all look like purple, I tried na lol
lol...sure you tried, i'll give you a pass cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by merits(m): 12:42pm On Oct 09, 2014

Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 09, 2014
shizzle11:
lol...sure you tried, i'll give you a pass cheesy
Lol daalu rinne smiley

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by gatiano(m): 12:55pm On Oct 09, 2014
so if i tell this to a five year old who speaks your language, are you sure the child will comprehend what it means? and what about atom?
osss:

4,100,000,000,500 = nde nde ano, otu nari puku nde na nari ise naira.

juo mazi o ga agwa gi na nke a bu eziokwu
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by shizzle11(m): 1:04pm On Oct 09, 2014
xcelsia:
Lol daalu rinne smiley
Trust me you even did better than many peeps around. Personally, i learnt a thing or two from this thread. You reside in the states right? do you communicate to your folks in Igbo? cheesy
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 09, 2014
shizzle11:
Trust me you even did better than many peeps around. Personally, i learnt a thing or two from this thread. You reside in the states right? do you communicate to your folks in Igbo? cheesy
Lol yeah I do but not all the time as I would love to, my siblings are here but my parents are back in Nigeria. My younger brother is already struggling with his igbo so I'm very determined to remember my roots, that's actually one of the reasons I signed up on nairaland

Honestly I googled the answers, the only ones I truly know by heart are white and black, ocha na oji embarassed
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by Affable200(m): 1:31pm On Oct 09, 2014
In Igbo.
Purple-Odo odo
Red-Uhie
Pink-Pinki
Black-Ojii
White-Ocha
Orange-Oroma
Grey-Agba nti
Green-Akwukwo ndu
Blue-Acha anunu
Brown-Aja aja
Violet-Ana agba
Indigo-Uri uri
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by shizzle11(m): 1:34pm On Oct 09, 2014
xcelsia:
Lol yeah I do but not all the time as I would love to, my siblings are here but my parents are back in Nigeria. My younger brother is already struggling with his igbo so I'm very determined to remember my roots, that's actually one of the reasons I signed up on nairaland
That is what every smart girl would do, so glad to hear that, i suggest you visit the culture section as much as you can. You will also learn a lot about our foods, attire etc. You come off as an intelligent girl, i like that. smiley
Honestly I googled the answers, the only ones I truly know by heart are white and black, ocha na oji embarassed
lol @black and white, you are not alone, i bet there are plenty others who do not know beyond the 'oji' and 'ocha' colour...lol. Google has always been a good learning companion cheesy

You can also communicate with your brother in igbo from time to time so you dont forget the little you know/learnt, thats one language secret.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 09, 2014
shizzle11:
dont say what you don't know, Igbos have name for most colours, mind you no language is 100% complete
But Igbo langage is more lacking
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by shizzle11(m): 2:55pm On Oct 09, 2014
dovelike:

But Igbo langage is more lacking
It is arguable and not true. Its jsut that kids in this generation of Igbos are more inclined to speaking english than their native Igbo. The custodians of the Igbo tradition and customs are aware of this decline and raised an alarm that the Igbo language may go extinct. Thats why they called for the preservation of the igbo language through school teachings, movies, social gatherings etc. this does not mean that it is less complete than others.

You are still a young girl, a member of the population of the generation i talked about, but do not buy the dummy that it is more lacking. Are you igbo by the way?
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 09, 2014
shizzle11:
It is arguable and not true. Its jsut that kids in this generation of Igbos are more inclined to speaking english than their native Igbo. The custodians of the Igbo tradition and customs are aware of this decline and raised an alarm that the Igbo language may go extinct. Thats why they called for the preservation of the igbo language through school teachings, movies, social gatherings etc. this does not mean that it is less complete than others.

You are still a young girl, a member of the population of the generation i talked about, but do not buy the dummy that it is more lacking. Are you igbo by the way?
How old are you?
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by shizzle11(m): 3:22pm On Oct 09, 2014
dovelike:

How old are you?
Now this is cheeky. undecided

I forgive your insolence.
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 09, 2014
shizzle11:
Now this is cheeky. undecided

I forgive your insolence.
Really,how old?
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Oct 09, 2014
shizzle11:
That is what every smart girl would do, so glad to hear that, i suggest you visit the culture section as much as you can. You will also learn a lot about our foods, attire etc. You come off as an intelligent girl, i like that. smiley
lol @black and white, you are not alone, i bet there are plenty others who do not know beyond the 'oji' and 'ocha' colour...lol. Google has always been a good learning companion cheesy

You can also communicate with your brother in igbo from time to time so you dont forget the little you know/learnt, thats one language secret.
Aww thanks, yeah we all communicate with him in igbo but only for like the first 5 minutes then give up lol, hopefully he'll marry an igbo girl when the time comes.

Ok thanks I'll visit the culture section and try to participate as well, I'm mostly in the health section because it's my passion and my work as well. I'm grateful for nairaland, I don't even have Facebook etc but I'm totally addicted to this forum, I just got a quick break at work and I'm already back here cheesy
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by ifymusa(f): 4:21pm On Oct 09, 2014
Haba no gbagyi pipo for here?
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by Mprex(f): 4:42pm On Oct 09, 2014
jnrbayano:

*Green: Akwukwo ndu Akwukwo ndu
* Pink: mmee mmee na ocha a gwokoro onu grin
* Purple: nwanne oji nwanne oji grin
* Brown: aja upa aja upa
* Blue:?
* Red: ughie or Mmee mmee
* Grey: ntu ntu
* Orange: Oloma Oloma grin
* Violet: same as purple
* Indigo: ?

You go fear Igbo... cheesy cheesy
lmao! This got me laughing seriously. cheesy

but come to think of it, i dont even know one of those
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by kc007(m): 4:42pm On Oct 09, 2014
my dialect:
Green: ekwu kwo ndu' ndu' (note: the U(s) have dot under)
Pink: ngarura
Black: oji.
Red: meyi
Yellow: odo-odo
Blue: Oji nkele
white: ocha
brown: eja-eja
The rest I've never heard.
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by shizzle11(m): 4:58pm On Oct 09, 2014
xcelsia:
Aww thanks, yeah we all communicate with him in igbo but only for like the first 5 minutes then give up lol, hopefully he'll marry an igbo girl when the time comes.

Ok thanks I'll visit the culture section and try to participate as well, I'm mostly in the health section because it's my passion and my work as well. I'm grateful for nairaland, I don't even have Facebook etc but I'm totally addicted to this forum, I just got a quick break at work and I'm already back here cheesy
Welcome sis, at least 5minutes is better than not at all. Dont give up, remember practices makes perfect and i hope you marry an Igbo dude too wink

Lol...your addiction is normal. Nairaland is quite informative, educative, entertaining as well as enlightening. Its fun being around here, guess you've learnt a thing or two in your favourite section. I see you are a health worker, Ebola just arrived in the states, you guys must be extra careful nowt...lol cheesy
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by shizzle11(m): 5:00pm On Oct 09, 2014
kc007:
my dialect:
Green: ekwu kwo ndu' ndu' (note: the U(s) have dot under)
Pink: ngarura
Black: oji.
Red: meyi
Yellow: odo-odo
Blue: Oji nkele
white: ocha
brown: eja-eja
The rest I've never heard.
Hey bruv, what dialect is that please?
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by jnrbayano(m): 5:20pm On Oct 09, 2014
Mprex:

lmao! This got me laughing seriously. cheesy

but come to think of it, i dont even know one of those

cheesy

Are you one of us?
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by twosquare(m): 5:22pm On Oct 09, 2014
booqee:
If I hear! only black, white, yellow and red have translations in yoruba

black- dudu
white- funfun
red- pupa
That's a fallacy.
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by itstpia1: 5:33pm On Oct 09, 2014
The basic colours in yoruba are black, white, yellow and red.

Everything else is exotic ie possibly imported.

At the very least, secondary.
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by lyricalz: 7:21pm On Oct 09, 2014
Urhobo wado

White - fuafon
Black - biebi
Red - vwavware

Omo me don try o, make anoda person complete am.
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by Divineboy42(m): 8:01pm On Oct 09, 2014
Chillext:
How do you call these colours in your local dialect?

* Green =akwukwo ndu akwukwuo ndu
* Pink
* Purple
* Brown= akwuwkwo okpoo akwukwuo opkoo
* Blue=oji
* Red=mme mme,
* Grey= awo, awo, ntu ntu
* Orange =odo odo
* Violet =uhie uhie
* Indigo
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by kc007(m): 10:14pm On Oct 09, 2014
shizzle11:
Hey bruv, what dialect is that please?
Opi.
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by shizzle11(m): 10:23pm On Oct 09, 2014
kc007:

Opi.
sorry bruv never heard it, what state please?
Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by Nobody: 12:09am On Oct 10, 2014
shizzle11:
Welcome sis, at least 5minutes is better than not at all. Dont give up, remember practices makes perfect and i hope you marry an Igbo dude too wink

Lol...your addiction is normal. Nairaland is quite informative, educative, entertaining as well as enlightening. Its fun being around here, guess you've learnt a thing or two in your favourite section. I see you are a health worker, Ebola just arrived in the states, you guys must be extra careful nowt...lol cheesy
Lol hopefully my true love will be igbo, that will be the icing on the cake in addition to him being my best friend smiley

We're doing very well with containing the disease, we've had series of meetings and now prepared for an outbreak although I pray it doesn't come to that. I personally think the government made an example of Mr. Duncan by delaying treatment and allowing him to die, it's a clear message to others not to come.

Hope your day has been good, have a great weekend ahead, good night.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? by shizzle11(m): 5:06am On Oct 10, 2014
xcelsia:
Lol hopefully my true love will be igbo, that will be the icing on the cake in addition to him being my best friend smiley

We're doing very well with containing the disease, we've had series of meetings and now prepared for an outbreak although I pray it doesn't come to that. I personally think the government made an example of Mr. Duncan by delaying treatment and allowing him to die, it's a clear message to others not to come.

Hope your day has been good, have a great weekend ahead, good night.
I say AMEN to that. smiley

Mr Duncan was used as and 'indicator' sign, too bad for him.

My day went well thanks for asking, have a blissful weekend too. Cheers!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oluwo Akanbi Visits House Of Representatives Members / Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) / Why Are Somalian Girls So Beautiful???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.