Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. (5019 Views)

Trinity 101: Hundreds Bible Verses That Proves Trinity As A Dogma It Is. / Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. / Pst. Chris Ojigbani: Courtship Before Marriage Is A Waste Of Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by naijaguy77: 10:14am On Nov 10, 2008
This is a comment from 2006 on nigeriavillagesquare by someone with the handle Naijaguy77. Naijaguy77 was responding to an article called 'Easter and the Product called Jesus'. It could almost pass for a comment by myself, maybe it is by me, who knows ;-). Religion is a very emotive subject, but like anything else we must not shy away from talking about it, it has become such a problem in Nigeria mainly because of the economic situation. Anyway, I'll let you read below:

links also here
http://4774e51n..com/2008/08/nigerians-take-on-religion.html

and

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/board/article-comments/36414-easter-product-called-jesus-3.html

Hi everyone,

I've occasionally read articles on here over the past year or so, some good, others rubbish, but I've never bothered to reply or comment on any subject or issue. This article has made me register and post a comment.

I live in a small village near Edinburgh, with one church (Church of Scotland, Known as Presbyterian in Nigeria) and a local vicar. The church of Scotland pioneered Christianity in Nigeria, they are the traditional church in Calabar where I was raised and spent most of my life. The church of Scotland sent Mary Slessor as a missionary to Calabar and helped build one of the oldest institutions of learning in Nigeria (Hope Waddle Training Institute) in the late 19th century, Just as the Church of England did in the Lagos area about the same time.

I shall get to the point. Christianity was created by people (people like you and me), to 'control' people (like you and me). There is no mystery in Christianity, no 'Miracle', no 'Rapture', no 'Son of God', no 'Hell', no 'Beast', no 'bottomless pit', no such nonsense. these are all the makings of people like you and me. I hope that you can 'reason' with people like Palamedes, forgive the way he comes across in his article, he is actually right, only he is not interested in making you understand why he is right, because he probably believes it is a waste of time to even try, and rightly so, as most have been told that Jesus is the son of God for so long, it is impossible for them to even think it through.

If you tell my local Church of Scotland vicar that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he died for our sins and that he is coming back some day to take us to heaven - He will smile at you and tell you that it is not true, if you insist, he will recommend that you see a psychiatrist.

I will refer anyone who cares to find out about the First Council of Nicaea, and the First Council of Constantinople, I will refer you to the works of Thomas Aquinas, so that you can understand how this faith that you proclaim has been shaped across the centuries. Nigeria has 17million Anglicans, that is 17million people who are members of the Church of England, who profess the faith and who will not be shaken, but how many of these 17million people know that before the Anglican church came to our shores in the late 19th century to set up schools and churches, the Anglican church had come for Slaves? yes the Anglican church owned slaves! they owned slaves and slave plantations, they called Africans animals and the Archbishop of Canterbury in the late 18th century and early 19th century referred to sick or injured Africans in his possession as 'Refuse Niggers'! How many of these Anglicans know that their church was formed only because Henry VIII (King of England) wanted a divorce but the pope would not grant him one, so he decided to create his own church and give himself a divorce?

This is the reality of your faith, the same goes for Roman catholicism, Emperor Constantine I declared Christianity the official religion of the Roman empire (of which Britain was a member), that is why we all are Christians, because one man said so. Jesus Christ never wrote any book in the Bible, or did you not know that too? did you not know that the bible was compiled over two hundred years AD? did you not know that the content of the bible as we know it today was subjected to voting? which writings should we put in and which should we not? Did you not know that the books of the bible are not actually written by the people to which they are attributed?

How an intelligent adult can wake up and say that a man (Jesus of Nazareth) is the son of God, is beyond belief. Jesus Christ was a man, perhaps the greatest man that ever lived, he was a revolutionary, he was not a Christian, he was a Jew, a Jew who himself did not believe the dogma that he had been fed by prophets (pastors) and his parents, and elders in his community, he was a man who decided to 'reason', and because he reasoned those who never used their brains (reasoned) called him the son of God, and those who saw an opportunity sold this story to Gullible Billions, the most uncomfortable thing about Christianity is that, Europeans - who are the custodians of Christianity, who spread Christianity across the world, who wrote the bible, who brought it to us, who invented the Trinity, who invented and just last year abolished purgatory (yes, last year purgatory was officially pronounced no longer 'gospel' by the Vatican), who created churches, they, Europeans can not understand why in 2007 humans still believe in this nonsense.

When I was two years old, my dad took me for an initiation into the EKPE, a long running tradition in my family and in the Calabar area, the Ekpe is without doubt the most fascinating part of my Culture, it is beautiful, it makes me proud, the Ekpe was used as a form of government in pre-colonial Calabar and most of southern Cross River and Akwa Ibom states, the rulers at the time made people believe that the Ekpe had mystical powers so as to keep the society in check, today the Ekpe is only ceremonial, but the churches in that area do not tolerate it, they have warned that none of their members celebrate this beautiful part of our culture, that it is a celebration of the devil, and that Jesus does not tolerate it, What a load of rubbish. It almost brought tears to my eyes. What have we become as a people? Christianity in my family does not go back more than 3 generations. My great grand father was not a Christian nor was any member of my ancestry before him, If i believe in Christianity that will mean that all those members of my family are burning in hell, and the same goes for the rest of you.

The most intelligent people in our country know this, Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Fela Kuti, Palamedes, and the rest who know, the most intelligent people in the Christian world know this, and more importantly, we are not alone on earth, why then are we so simple and narrow minded? of the 6 billion people on earth how many actually believe in this nonsense? most of the 1.3 billion people in China are not Christians and don't believe in Jesus and the son of God and all that nonsense, 1 billion in India, 280million in Indonesia, 114 million in Russia, 500 million in the EU, 150million in Pakistan, 70million in Iran, 70million in Egypt, 150m in Bangladesh, 118m in Japan, the list goes on and on, yet they are prosperous, I dare say they are more honest and they love their neighbours as themselves. So is it the the fanatics in Nigeria and in some parts of the Americas and Africa, who by the way are new to Christianity that are right?

Religion is the Opium of the masses - Karl Marx. Religion is nothing more than a creation of man to fulfill that need for direction and authority. There is nothing wrong with being a Christian, I am one, my parents are too, but don't be dogmatic, the Bible is 'Not the word of God', it is just a book, Jesus is 'Not the son of God', he was just a man, the fish did not swallow Jonah nor vice versa, Moses did not divide the red sea, Moses did not write the first five books of the Bible, because if he did, he would not have included his own death in it, and explained how he died and how no one ever knew where he was buried, Mathew Mark Luke and John did not see Jesus ascend to heaven, if they did they would not have given four different and contradictory accounts, oh did you not know that too? Lets be humans and reason, don't be scared to think for yourself, that is exactly what Jesus did, that is why he is the greatest man that ever lived, if indeed he lived!

I'm hungry.
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by bigfather(m): 1:59pm On Nov 10, 2008
Agents of END TIME !
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by naijaguy77: 4:41pm On Nov 10, 2008
funny how difficult it is to get people to think for themselves, think, use your brain, think.

It is a lot easier simply to accept what you have heard all your life, it is safer to do that, easy, and easy means using less brain cells. But shaking off dogma is more difficult, it means using more brain cells, it means reasoning, it means going against conventional wisdom, it means thinking, and ever so often there are humans who do these on the grandest stage - Einstein, newton, Galileo, Copernicus, Feynman, Mandela, Ghandi, Obama, Jesus the christ etc, and there are others who do it on slightly less grander stages - Achebe, Fela, Solarin, Soyinka, etc All these people have one thing in common, they change things, they move humanity forward, they contribute to the way we see the world simply because they refused to accept dogma, they refused to accept that things must remain the way they were told it is and the way they were told it should be, and in the process they are immortalised.

Think, Think, Think.

Please Nigeria, think.
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by Carlosein(m): 5:59pm On Nov 10, 2008
here we go again, another person asking us all to "think, think, think!"

well let me try and think.

ehm naijaguy77, i am now thinking: if what you say is true and religion is a big lie i.e there is no heaven, no hell, no Jesus,
no bla bla bla (you get the picture don't you?) then why waste your time and effort trying to get us all to "think". i mean in christianity, we believe all these, so we can understand that there is something to gain (heaven), if we live our lives the way Jesus wants instead of following our whims and caprices (or that of any naijaguy77 for that matter).

what i'm saying is, if christianity is such a hoax, then i "think" there's really nothing to lose (heaven) by following it and as such no one (that includes you naijaguy77) should pressure me to "think" to arrive at a conclusion wherein i actually have nothing to lose.

naijaguy77, by "thinking" a lil bit bout the above, i hope you get the point!
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by DavidDylan(m): 6:16pm On Nov 10, 2008
So only atheists can "think"? grin
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by naijaguy77: 6:41pm On Nov 10, 2008
Who's pressuring you? you can believe whatever you want to believe, but as a consequence you must accept the category in which your belief places you. It places you in a category of non-thinkers.

Religious faith is the process of non-thinking, that is the dictionary definition of faith. So believe what you may, it's a free country, you can believe in an imaginary teapot orbiting Jupiter or the pink spaghetti monster, it doesn't make is true nor sensible.

As for the last poster - does it mean that anyone who does not believe in your imaginary hell fire is an atheist? hmmm I learn something new everyday.
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by mazaje(m): 6:50pm On Nov 10, 2008
DavidDylan:

So only atheists can "think"? grin

no its people that believe that snakes eat dust that can think ohh i forgot its only people that believe in talking donkeys,talking snakes and a person living inside a whale for days that can think. . . .
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by DavidDylan(m): 6:54pm On Nov 10, 2008
mazaje:

no its people that believe that snakes eat dust that can think ohh i forgot its only people that believe in talking donkeys,talking snakes and a person living inside a whale for days that can think. . . .

Isaac Newton believed such "nonsense". Frankly speaking, your brain is no match for his small toe.
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by mazaje(m): 7:05pm On Nov 10, 2008
DavidDylan:

Isaac Newton believed such "nonsense". Frankly speaking, your brain is no match for his small toe.
so? that fact that he believes them does'nt make them true does it? carl sagan doesnt and your brain is no match for his left testicle. . . . .
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by DavidDylan(m): 7:14pm On Nov 10, 2008
mazaje:

so? that fact that he believes them does'nt make them true does it? carl sagan doesnt and your brain is no match for his left testicle. . . . . 

Excellent. My point exactly.
Whether the stories in the bible are true or not is not an issue i would waste my time addressing with people who are too blind to reason outside the box.

My point is proved . . . the frankly disgusting idea that those who believe in the bible are necessarily those with no capacity to think is hereby debunked.
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by Carlosein(m): 7:19pm On Nov 10, 2008
naijaguy77:

Who's pressuring you? you can believe whatever you want to believe, but as a consequence you must accept the category in which your belief places you. It places you in a category of non-thinkers.

Religious faith is the process of non-thinking, that is the dictionary definition of faith. So believe what you may, it's a free country, you can believe in an imaginary teapot orbiting Jupiter or the pink spaghetti monster, it doesn't make is true nor sensible.

As for the last poster - does it mean that anyone who does not believe in your imaginary hell fire is an atheist? hmmm I learn something new everyday.

Mon Dieu shocked!

do you really mean that or i should give you time to think up a more suitable reply undecided
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by Carlosein(m): 7:22pm On Nov 10, 2008
DavidDylan:

So only atheists can "think"?  grin

yes indeed. [s]when they have their heads up their asses[/s]
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by DavidDylan(m): 7:24pm On Nov 10, 2008
naijaguy77:

Who is this funny guy?  grin Isaac Newton, Abraham Lincoln and co also fall into the category of non-thinkers?  shocked

Big Star:

If you could "think" you'd know the bible definition of faith is not that simplistic and that it is foolish to go use a dictionary to understand what faith actually means.

Big Star:

of course not, it simply means u're a "thinker".
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by mazaje(m): 7:27pm On Nov 10, 2008
DavidDylan:

Excellent. My point exactly.
Whether the stories in the bible are true or not is not an issue i would waste my time addressing with people who are too blind to reason outside the box.

My point is proved . . . the frankly disgusting idea that those who believe in the bible are necessarily those with no capacity to think is hereby debunked.

That is not true, during the time of issac newton belief was almost compulsary athiest were not given the chance to express themselves as it is today, belief was the wise thing to do at that time . . . .you just have to believe in something, if newton were to exist today i can assure you that he will hardly be a christain. . . if i tell you that  your computer flew from your room to your friends room you would'nt believe but then you believe that snakes eat dust because some men in acient history wrote that and you have been indoctrinated to believe that since childhood. . . . . .you believe that on the last days the stars will fall from the sky just as jesus said but the truth remains that stars can not and will never fall from the sky yet you still believe it because its in the bible even though its just impossible, stars are distant they are bigger than they earth and can not fall from the sky into the earth, jesus said that they will fall does that make it true?
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by manmustwac(m): 7:31pm On Nov 10, 2008
Religion is a waste of time and energy because it dosen't really offer any practical solutions to practical problems it just makes you feel better {after the church service} like the drunkard who needs the bottle to keep him going and the heroin addict who needs his fix to survive
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by mazaje(m): 7:32pm On Nov 10, 2008
DavidDylan:

Who is this funny guy?  grin Isaac Newton, Abraham Lincoln and co also fall into the category of non-thinkers?  shocked

why do you keep dropping names? who told you they believe in all these things deep in their hearts of heart? just becuase they said so doesnt mean they do. . . . .times were different then and now they had no freedom to really express themselves when it came to religion, thomas jefferson dint believe in all that crap but in oder not to look like an apostate he created his own bible and did away with what he thought were prospestrous. . . .  Karl Rove is a non believer but it still professes his belief all the time because of the situation around him so what the heck are you talking about
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by bawomolo(m): 7:34pm On Nov 10, 2008
manmustwac:

Religion is a waste of time and energy because it dosen't really offer any practical solutions to practical problems it just makes you feel better {after the church service} like the drunkard who needs the bottle to keep him going and the heroin addict who needs his fix to survive

hallelujah hallelujah.
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by pilgrim1(f): 7:36pm On Nov 10, 2008
naijaguy77:

Religious faith is the process of non-thinking, that is the dictionary definition of faith.

Which dictionary?
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by pilgrim1(f): 7:37pm On Nov 10, 2008
@mazaje,

mazaje:

Lol, play with these for the moment -

[flash=425,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skE2dq3cm0A&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

[flash=425,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBhE6LNdBEs&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by Carlosein(m): 7:37pm On Nov 10, 2008
mazaje:

That is not true, during the time of issac newton belief was almost compulsary athiest were not given the chance to express themselves as it is today, belief was the wise thing to do at that time . . . .you just have to believe in something, if newton were to exist today i can assue you that he will hardly be a christain. . . if i tell you that  your computer flew from your room to your friends room you would'nt believe but then you believe that snakes eat dust because some men in acient history wrote that and you have been indoctrinated to believe that since childhood. . . . . .you believe that on the last days the stars will fall from the sky just as jesus said but the truth remains that stars can not and will never fall from the sky yet you still believe it because its in the bible even though its just impossible, stars are distant they are bigger than they earth and can not fall from the sky into the earth, jesus said that they will fall does that make it true?

hey man i "think" you should take it east with the postings. you're starting to come across to me as desperate!

i assure you, if you told me anything about my computer, i certainly will not believe you grin
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by morpheus24: 7:38pm On Nov 10, 2008
Hey! I believe Jonah was in the belly of the whale for three days and I can explain how:

He held his breath for  72 hours without oxygen.

Fed on the remains of what ever the Whale had eaten and he used whale oil to light the small lantern he had with him before he got swalloed so he could see inside the belly of the beast.

Oh yea I might also add I alsoo believe angels mated with humans to bring forth the first giants of the earth like Golliath and I am indepthed to them for this mischievious act because if not for them there wouldn't be any NBA seasons.

Damn I am just thinking of how much money I wouldn't have made on gambling.
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by pilgrim1(f): 7:38pm On Nov 10, 2008
mazaje:

Learn how parrots talk - do animals talk?
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by Carlosein(m): 7:41pm On Nov 10, 2008
mazaje:

why do you keep dropping names? who told you they believe in all these things deep in their hearts of heart? just becuase they said so doesnt mean they do. . . . .times were different then and now they had no freedom to really express themselves when it came to religion, thomas jefferson dint believe in all that crap but in oder not to look like an apostate he created his own bible and did away with what he thought were prospestrous. . . .  Karl Rove is a non believer but it still professes his belief all the time because of the situation around him so what the heck are you talking about

and mazaje the "thinker" is also clairvoyant grin
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by mazaje(m): 7:43pm On Nov 10, 2008
pilgrim.1:

@mazaje,

Lol, play with these for the moment -

[flash=425,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skE2dq3cm0A&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

[flash=425,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBhE6LNdBEs&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Carlosein:

and mazaje the "thinker" is also clairvoyant grin

pilgrim lol are you kidding me? you are not serious. . . . .
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by pilgrim1(f): 7:45pm On Nov 10, 2008
mazaje:

pilgrim lol are you kidding me? you are not serious. . . . .

You know me. . . when it comes to mazaje itself himself, pilgrim.1 is never serious! grin

Enjoy o jare, make I attend to some other stuff before I come back. wink
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by manmustwac(m): 7:45pm On Nov 10, 2008
Can you imagine a whole country of a 120 million all praying and fasting for God to solve their problems {poverty, sickness jobs etc} this even includes our leaders who are the one responsible for the bad situation of the country, but yet still no progress. Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. Its about time people woke up. Faith will never solve Nigeria problem only action will
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by mazaje(m): 7:49pm On Nov 10, 2008
pilgrim.1:

Learn how parrots talk - do animals talk?

stop deluding yourself pilgrim. . . .snakes do not eat dust, snakes and donkeys do not talk, stars do not and can never fall from the sky, bats are not birds, and no human can survive in the belly of a living whale for 3 days. . .they are all lies and myths. . . .
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by Carlosein(m): 8:01pm On Nov 10, 2008
pilgrim, your videos got me rolling on the floor with laughter grin grin grin
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by naijaguy77: 8:12pm On Nov 10, 2008
a lot of encouraging replies from very intelligent people here. I am very pleased that not everyone in our country is so dogmatic and simple minded.

Very encouraging, I am pleased. Hopefully in the next few decades the number will increase.
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by DavidDylan(m): 8:22pm On Nov 10, 2008
naijaguy77:

a lot of encouraging replies from very intelligent people here. I am very pleased that not everyone in our country is so dogmatic and simple minded.

Very encouraging, I am pleased. Hopefully in the next few decades the number will increase.

errm this idea of attributing "intelligence" only to people who don't believe the bible is getting farcical.  grin
I will refrain from mentioning specific names but please enough of this charade . . . i don't see that many intelligent people here at all. I simply see the same dogmatic (yes unbelievers too can be dogmatic) bible bashers.
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by Gaminechic: 8:29pm On Nov 10, 2008
I dont see anything new in what you have posted

undecided undecided

Until you provide proof that Christains have something to lose apart from time and energy, which EVERYBODY Loses anyways undecided

in believeing what we believe, i will come back to read it.

For now, you can keep copying and pasting things

things we have seen or heard of, from great "thinkers"
Re: Religion Is Waste Of Time And Energy. It's Dogma, Wake Up People. by bawomolo(m): 10:22pm On Nov 10, 2008
Until you provide proof that Christains have something to lose apart from time and energy, which EVERYBODY Loses anyways

but but wait i thought Christianity was about living in a new life and not following the status quo? why should christianity settle to just be like everybody?

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Best New Whatsapp Facebook Status For Eid Adha 2015 / You Want 10% On My Gross Income ? Daylight Robbery !!!! / Speed Of Light, Time, Einstein, And An Extra-universal Timeline.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.