Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,404 members, 7,781,168 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:09 AM

Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About (26443 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by ephi123(f): 11:33am On Oct 07, 2014
All of the characteristics HR looks for in a job candidate are the polar opposite of what enlightened leaders seek in new talent. While HR is tediously focused on making certain that candidates "play well in the sandbox," strong managers want those who don't venture near the proverbial box. Which creates a conundrum and a paradox:to get to the latter you need to lie to the former. As well you should. Why be held hostage to a broken system?

Case in point: the HR person will likely ask you if you work well with others? Well, many of the smartest and most innovative people on the planet simply don't. Not that they are trouble makers or in any way venal but they simply prefer to work alone, creating marvels of software, mathematical formulas or extraordinary feats of creativity. But can they tell HR:

"No. I don't really like working with others. I guess you can say I do my best work by myself. My professors at MIT used to call me a 'loner.'"

HR's universal reaction to this honest response would be "Next." Einstein and Newton would have failed their test.

For years, my firm worked with a hedge fund that invests capital based on quantitative strategies, developed by their team of math and physics brainiacs. None even pretend to enjoy the social aspects of the work environment. For them, it is all about hibernation, concentration and introspection. They never stepped into a a sandbox as kids and they aren't about to start now.

Over the course of an intense year when we examined and adjusted many of the practices of the fund, management came to recognize that the caliber of the candidates coming to them for second-stage interviews was way down below the quality hierarchy. On closer examination, we discovered the HR filter was turning the best and the brightest away before they could be seen by senior fund managers -- all geeks and loners in their own right. The solution was simple: HR was limited to managing the fund's employee benefits and policies and completely removed from the hiring process.

Another HR question that demands a lie goes like this:

"So tell me why you want to work for our company."

In many cases, the honest answer would be:

"I think this is the best place to make a fortune before I'm 35. I really want a chunk of those stock options."

But to the HR paint-by-numbers gang, that would lead to a fast dismissal out the fire exit. To get to the next-stage interview you have to lie, waxing poetic about the company's innovative culture or lionizing it's irreverent founder (who, by the way, is eager to have brilliant wealth-seeking hot shots on the team).

The old adage "Just be yourself," is a fool's game when it comes to the hiring process. Instead, at the outset, you need to be what HR wants you to be. And in most cases, you need to (and very well should) lie to win a pass to see the real players in the company. The ones with a 180 degree different (from HR) perspective on life/business/success and how to get what you want in your career.

Look, I don't believe in making lying a way of life--in fact, I appreciate blunt and honest people and think of myself in this way. But when a system is stacked against the truth, dance around it.

Source: LinkedIn
https://www./article/20141006125226-10136502-why-you-must-lie-on-job-interviews-and-what-you-must-lie-about?trk=tod-home-art-list-large_0

P.S / Disclaimer - Not sure I totally agree with the article but I see the writer's perspective.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by omanifrank(m): 11:36am On Oct 07, 2014
loz

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 07, 2014
I agree with every bit of the article .....

Just don't be caught lieing or sycophantic ........ Make it genuine because it is genuine .... Don't be caught making it genuine because the company knows who they are but they only need you to show your understanding of who they are ....

If you lie , they know ... If you lie-in-truth they know ..... !!

That'z why you shouldn't hype your lie .... Speak it straight with passion !

The Chairman/CEO of the company that is interviewing you also lie to clients , telling them the company possess what they can never have in 10years just to win contracts !!!

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by louken(m): 10:53am On Sep 29, 2016
I can't agree better. Good one

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Nobody: 7:00am On Sep 30, 2016
All liars will go to HELL FIRE!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . This post was brought to Front page by Lala almost 2 years it was created?! Never give up on yourself dudes. God is great.

10 Likes

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Turks: 7:01am On Sep 30, 2016
All things in moderation.
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Sweetcollins: 7:02am On Sep 30, 2016
We mustn't lie

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Dahveydson(m): 7:04am On Sep 30, 2016
Like I said one time, someone who is not ready to lie at an interview, is not interested in getting the job.

Some interview questions are just incredible, you have to give incredible answers also.

7 Likes

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by HopeAlive14(m): 7:04am On Sep 30, 2016
Lying is not a virtue.

It is hard, but we must try to be truthful at all times.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Sijo01(f): 7:04am On Sep 30, 2016
Thread hitting front page after two years!. .. .. ... There is hope for Nigeria economy then.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Nobody: 7:04am On Sep 30, 2016
Turks:
See this one...[size=50pt]STOP SLEEPING ON A BICYCLE! [/size]
. . . . To each his own!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 30, 2016
Sijo01:
Thread hitting front page after two years!. .. .. ... There is hope for Nigeria economy then.
. . Oh, you saw that also?

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Techpaded(f): 7:05am On Sep 30, 2016
Sin na sin! Even if u use am build temple of God. Hell fire

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 30, 2016
lols
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by ustavo(m): 7:06am On Sep 30, 2016
i dey come
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by flowx(m): 7:08am On Sep 30, 2016
Pls my people I do I know the post that is in front page? Somebody should help me out pls.
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Arizonaguy(m): 7:11am On Sep 30, 2016
ephi123:
All of the characteristics HR looks for in a job candidate are the polar opposite of what enlightened leaders seek in new talent. While HR is tediously focused on making certain that candidates "play well in the sandbox," strong managers want those who don't venture near the proverbial box. Which creates a conundrum and a paradox:to get to the latter you need to lie to the former. As well you should. Why be held hostage to a broken system?

Case in point: the HR person will likely ask you if you work well with others? Well, many of the smartest and most innovative people on the planet simply don't. Not that they are trouble makers or in any way venal but they simply prefer to work alone, creating marvels of software, mathematical formulas or extraordinary feats of creativity. But can they tell HR:

"No. I don't really like working with others. I guess you can say I do my best work by myself. My professors at MIT used to call me a 'loner.'"

HR's universal reaction to this honest response would be "Next." Einstein and Newton would have failed their test.

For years, my firm worked with a hedge fund that invests capital based on quantitative strategies, developed by their team of math and physics brainiacs. None even pretend to enjoy the social aspects of the work environment. For them, it is all about hibernation, concentration and introspection. They never stepped into a a sandbox as kids and they aren't about to start now.

Over the course of an intense year when we examined and adjusted many of the practices of the fund, management came to recognize that the caliber of the candidates coming to them for second-stage interviews was way down below the quality hierarchy. On closer examination, we discovered the HR filter was turning the best and the brightest away before they could be seen by senior fund managers -- all geeks and loners in their own right. The solution was simple: HR was limited to managing the fund's employee benefits and policies and completely removed from the hiring process.

Another HR question that demands a lie goes like this:

"So tell me why you want to work for our company."

In many cases, the honest answer would be:

"I think this is the best place to make a fortune before I'm 35. I really want a chunk of those stock options."

But to the HR paint-by-numbers gang, that would lead to a fast dismissal out the fire exit. To get to the next-stage interview you have to lie, waxing poetic about the company's innovative culture or lionizing it's irreverent founder (who, by the way, is eager to have brilliant wealth-seeking hot shots on the team).

The old adage "Just be yourself," is a fool's game when it comes to the hiring process. Instead, at the outset, you need to be what HR wants you to be. And in most cases, you need to (and very well should) lie to win a pass to see the real players in the company. The ones with a 180 degree different (from HR) perspective on life/business/success and how to get what you want in your career.

Look, I don't believe in making lying a way of life--in fact, I appreciate blunt and honest people and think of myself in this way. But when a system is stacked against the truth, dance around it.

Source: LinkedIn
https://www./article/20141006125226-10136502-why-you-must-lie-on-job-interviews-and-what-you-must-lie-about?trk=tod-home-art-list-large_0

P.S / Disclaimer - Not sure I totally agree with the article but I see the writer's perspective.
A great chunk of firms and organisations granting interviews knew 50% of response to the questions they asked is untrue, they just need people who are smart enough to make it less obvious

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by olumaxi(m): 7:13am On Sep 30, 2016
Am a pastor...i dont lie
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by ednut1(m): 7:17am On Sep 30, 2016
i lied alot. if i no lie i for still dey jobless. how i believe so much in team work, how i executed a cds project, how i lead people hahahahah. God go understand

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 30, 2016
flowx:
Pls my people I do I know the post that is in front page? Somebody should help me out pls.
Post wey dey front page go dey front page na
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Bkrubzy(m): 7:22am On Sep 30, 2016
I prefer being my own boss and watching those seeking for jobs trying to make me believe their lies.
#TeamEnterpreneur
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Davash222(m): 7:22am On Sep 30, 2016
If you must lie, be brief.
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Damfostopper(m): 7:23am On Sep 30, 2016
Jesus Christ.... this topic was created since 2014....na now the stewpid mods av resurrected to bring it to fp.... if it was olajumoke.... boobs... snake.... Tonto..... after 1hr it would av been in fp..... moral lesson... neva give up...... nairaland mods and stewpidity are like.......

.....BTW I Dnt fear ban

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by xtivin(m): 7:24am On Sep 30, 2016
This post shows that when your file is opened in heaven,men will remember you..since 2004 it just hit FP
back to topic..lying smart is diffrent from lying, HR know that not all question should be honestly answered

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Nobody: 7:28am On Sep 30, 2016
............after two years that this thread was created, it finally reach the FRONT PAGE.....!!!

No matter how the cabals want this nation to go into extinction, we shall reach our PROMISE LAND.

Nigeria shall be GREAT again!!!

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by okezie007(m): 7:33am On Sep 30, 2016
Lying?? Let's not get carried away about the moral aspect of it, bottomline: say what improves your chances of getting the job. Besides in an attempt to lie you discover in truth that you learn also
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by achmed1(m): 7:35am On Sep 30, 2016
ednut1:
i lied alot. if i no lie i for still dey jobless. how i believe so much in team work, how i executed a cds project, how i lead people hahahahah. God go understand

Be careful....i fit be ur HR person.. E go surprise u..
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by okezie007(m): 7:35am On Sep 30, 2016
ILoveToFuCcK:
Lie to them about your fυcking skills... and when they call you to prove it just pm me so i'll teach you how to fυck cool cool

grin
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by jashar(f): 7:41am On Sep 30, 2016
cheesy
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by OgidiOlu3(m): 7:41am On Sep 30, 2016
Just act well. Interviews are for actors.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Salary Is Enough Salary In This Economy / IPI Powertech Graduate Trainee Recruitment Program 2017 / I Did POS Attendant For Two Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.