Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About (26453 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by armadeo(m): 7:43am On Sep 30, 2016
Do whatever needs to be done.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Alexk2(m): 7:44am On Sep 30, 2016
Even though I don't dig this thread as I don't believe you have to lie to get what you want; a lie today will demand another lie tomorrow to cover today's.....but i'll like to call on seun, lala and all the mods to stop celebrating mediocrity on fp while there are quality threads created daily but you keep frustrating such efforts.
It took you two years to see anything good on this piece shocked shocked...The way to go is to starts celebrating quality efforts and work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by ednut1(m): 7:48am On Sep 30, 2016
achmed1:

Be careful....i fit be ur HR person.. E go surprise u..
tongue
achmed1:

Be careful....i fit be ur HR person.. E go surprise u..
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Elthugnificent(m): 7:49am On Sep 30, 2016
Does the op get paid or any special recognition for his post hitting the front page. Even if it is after 10 years, who F**king cares.

Just appreciate how relevant the post is in our today society.
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by God2man(m): 7:52am On Sep 30, 2016
Nairaland these days seems to be very confusing.

How can you teach somebody to lie on the most important moment in his life , job interview?. How?
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by ajasa4link: 8:37am On Sep 30, 2016
Telling lies is a necessity as far as job interviews are concerned in Nigeria. You will see the yeye HR asking you irrelevant questions that has nothing to do with your knowledge of the field, they call it behavioural questions. When in actual fact, what you need is the technical knowledge of that field u find yourself.

In order to save yourself, the best thing is to tell a convincing lie. Imagine interviewer asking me the saddest day of my life. me wey I be master story teller, I just sharperly tell her how I lost an imaginary friend during the holidays in 200l. I quickly spoil face, change mood. Kia, she sef follow enter sympathetic mood. From then on, na one story or the other. That same day I got their call ni.

Lie if u must to pass all those their yeye behavioural tests, but don't lie when it comes to ur technical knowledge cos that is needed on the job, else u might get sacked within a month for not meeting up with expectations

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 30, 2016
I agree with every bit of the article .....

Just don't be caught lieing or sycophantic ........ Make it genuine because it is genuine .... Don't be caught making it genuine because the company knows who they are but they only need you to show your understanding of who they are ....

If you lie , they know ... If you lie-in-truth they know ..... !!

That'z why you shouldn't hype your lie .... Speak it straight with passion !

The Chairman/CEO of the company that is interviewing you also lie to clients , telling them the company possess what they can never have in 10years just to win contracts !!!
Not really. Well for me, I do not really care so care about what the company is. I only lay emphasis on the job I want to do and of course, ensure mutual growth at last.
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 30, 2016
ajasa4link:
Telling lies is a necessity as far as job interviews are concerned in Nigeria. You will see the yeye HR asking you irrelevant questions that has nothing to do with your knowledge of the field, they call it behavioural questions. When in actual fact, what you need is the technical knowledge of that field u find yourself.

In order to save yourself, the best thing is to tell a convincing lie. Imagine interviewer asking me the saddest day of my life. me wey I be master story teller, I just sharperly tell her how I lost an imaginary friend during the holidays in 200l. I quickly spoil face, change mood. Kia, she sef follow enter sympathetic mood. From then on, na one story or the other. That same day I got their call ni.

Lie if u must to pass all those their yeye behavioural tests, but don't lie when it comes to ur technical knowledge cos that is needed on the job, else u might get sacked within a month for not meeting up with expectations
Haha. I could recall this company that wanted me to work for them. They asked me to come to PH but I insisted they have to send me a return ticket first. They were so marvelled that they ended up in doing what I want. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Companies are also desperate as well for they want to make money. cheesy
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 30, 2016
Lalasticlala and seun, so after 2 yrs una decide to dig this thread out push am go front page. Wow Nigeria would definitely be great again cry
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Nobody: 9:12am On Sep 30, 2016
ephi123:
All of the characteristics HR looks for in a job candidate are the polar opposite of what enlightened leaders seek in new talent. While HR is tediously focused on making certain that candidates "play well in the sandbox," strong managers want those who don't venture near the proverbial box. Which creates a conundrum and a paradox:to get to the latter you need to lie to the former. As well you should. Why be held hostage to a broken system?

Case in point: the HR person will likely ask you if you work well with others? Well, many of the smartest and most innovative people on the planet simply don't. Not that they are trouble makers or in any way venal but they simply prefer to work alone, creating marvels of software, mathematical formulas or extraordinary feats of creativity. But can they tell HR:

"No. I don't really like working with others. I guess you can say I do my best work by myself. My professors at MIT used to call me a 'loner.'"

HR's universal reaction to this honest response would be "Next." Einstein and Newton would have failed their test.

For years, my firm worked with a hedge fund that invests capital based on quantitative strategies, developed by their team of math and physics brainiacs. None even pretend to enjoy the social aspects of the work environment. For them, it is all about hibernation, concentration and introspection. They never stepped into a a sandbox as kids and they aren't about to start now.

Over the course of an intense year when we examined and adjusted many of the practices of the fund, management came to recognize that the caliber of the candidates coming to them for second-stage interviews was way down below the quality hierarchy. On closer examination, we discovered the HR filter was turning the best and the brightest away before they could be seen by senior fund managers -- all geeks and loners in their own right. The solution was simple: HR was limited to managing the fund's employee benefits and policies and completely removed from the hiring process.

Another HR question that demands a lie goes like this:

"So tell me why you want to work for our company."

In many cases, the honest answer would be:

"I think this is the best place to make a fortune before I'm 35. I really want a chunk of those stock options."

But to the HR paint-by-numbers gang, that would lead to a fast dismissal out the fire exit. To get to the next-stage interview you have to lie, waxing poetic about the company's innovative culture or lionizing it's irreverent founder (who, by the way, is eager to have brilliant wealth-seeking hot shots on the team).

The old adage "Just be yourself," is a fool's game when it comes to the hiring process. Instead, at the outset, you need to be what HR wants you to be. And in most cases, you need to (and very well should) lie to win a pass to see the real players in the company. The ones with a 180 degree different (from HR) perspective on life/business/success and how to get what you want in your career.

Look, I don't believe in making lying a way of life--in fact, I appreciate blunt and honest people and think of myself in this way. But when a system is stacked against the truth, dance around it.

Source: LinkedIn
https://www./article/20141006125226-10136502-why-you-must-lie-on-job-interviews-and-what-you-must-lie-about?trk=tod-home-art-list-large_0

P.S / Disclaimer - Not sure I totally agree with the article but I see the writer's perspective.

98% OF MY ALMOST A DECADE CAREER, I JUST DON'T WORK WELL WITH OTHERS, PEOPLE SLOW DOWN MY THOUGHT PROCESSES, AND OFTEN WHEN THEY TALK I ASSUME THEY HAVEN'T THOUGHT THINGS THROUGH BECAUSE I AM USUALLY 7 STEPS AHEAD OF THEY THOUGHT PROCESSES. BUT WITH YEARS I HAVE LEARNT TO BALANCE THIS BY HIRING VERY GOOD TEAM LEADS TO WORK UNDER ME
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by dhebz2pon(m): 9:15am On Sep 30, 2016
Lies are sweet when d HR is playing along...

For all those saying Hell fire,i pity you o hunger neva hold you well
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by ephi123(f): 9:32am On Sep 30, 2016
Mods, una thank you oh, 2 years later grin

Re: topic,
For any interview, I think it is all about selling yourself and putting your best foot forward. I do not believe in lying but I believe in knowing what the company wants and trying to fit your experiences into that.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by engrjacuzzi: 10:05am On Sep 30, 2016
the same way our government lied during election campaign and there was a certain President who promised #1 = $1, pay every unemployed youth #5,000 and to worsen it, his lying information minister even confirm the lies and said FG has created 300,000 job thru masquerade n tourism.
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Rekyz(m): 10:07am On Sep 30, 2016
I don't tell lies during job interviews - Lai Mohamed
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by firfinch101(m): 6:00pm On Sep 30, 2016
modelmike7:
. . . . To each his own!
Onikaluku abitie lara...
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 30, 2016
dhebz2pon:

For all those saying Hell fire,i pity you o hunger neva hold you well
. . . Honesty pays.
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Emmaesty(f): 7:04am On Oct 02, 2016
Dahveydson:
Like I said one time, someone who is not ready to lie at an interview, is not interested in getting the job.

Some interview questions are just incredible, you have to give incredible answers also.
lie lie boy
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Dahveydson(m): 9:55am On Oct 02, 2016
Emmaesty:
lie lie boy

What happened to your whatsapp?
Re: Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About by Emmaesty(f): 12:47pm On Oct 02, 2016
Dahveydson:

What happened to your whatsapp?
babe my phone got stolen and my system has crashed. I lost my project from chapter 1-5. It is well

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Incompetency Of The Npower Team / Paramilitary Job Of 125k Starting(fg Slot) Or an FMCG Company Of 165k+ / Has Anyone Gotten A Job Through Jiji?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.