Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,562 members, 7,809,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:59 PM

Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality (43431 Views)

Dana House Assembly Plant Sacks All Their Graduate Trainee / The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality / Old Thinking Mentality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by PreciousGem(f): 8:59pm On Oct 07, 2014
kevinhacker:
when GEJ said that unemployment rate has reduced , some was like "ah but I'm still here 'GEJ don lie again ooo! " but the fact is most of those that came out with good result are well EMPLOYED!

Pure Lies!
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by PreciousGem(f): 9:00pm On Oct 07, 2014
kevinhacker:
when GEJ said that unemployment rate has reduced , some was like "ah but I'm still here 'GEJ don lie again ooo! " but the fact is most of those that came out with good result are well EMPLOYED!

Pure Lies! you meant 2 say those who got d connections get employed.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by hawdi(m): 9:02pm On Oct 07, 2014
GboyegaD:
The Nigerian society doesn't encourage craft and hand works as such, one's best option is to explore education. Upon graduation, those with brilliant ideas are not encouraged as it is difficult to raise initial capital stock and worse still, the interest rates offered by our banks is extremely ridiculous thus, making white collar job the only option.
Ohh well, you have a point!
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by hawdi(m): 9:12pm On Oct 07, 2014
san316:
Ooh, you are so EVIL. You made two boys lose their jobs for your selfish reason. God will judge you. And come to think of it, they are not graduates o. What do you want them to be doing?
Lmao!!!! I had this same thinking. But I'm sure those boys just had to be freed, their freedom could have been long overdue, and pops felt it was just the right time "man" them.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by noordean(m): 9:13pm On Oct 07, 2014
hawdi:
It's just annoying when people read through a post without trying as hard as possible to get the point. Many attended schools truly but they ain't even applying one bit of it to life.

What the op meant was not a matter of you totally abandoning your hard-earned certificate, but divert the knowledge you gained before earning this certificate into something worthwhile. You can't because you finished school with whatever grade but couldn't get a job and then sit for months or years broke without doing any other thing. If you hunt for job for a while and you ain't seeming to make a headway, bro, find something else doing instead of staying broke and remaining a liability to your family.

I'm a fresh graduate of Physiology, LAUTECH, had my 6months IT in 2012, during the last trimester of the training, I learnt tailoring before returning back to school, I resumed school with a sewing machine and started making a few hundreds to thousands in addition to the pocket money they sent at home. Did this all through my finals and I never regretted it.

Since I finished school, I've been sewing and training more alongside, making few few cash for my daily upkeep; my mother is free and not bothered about me like she used to be, she believes I can take care of myself now, I ain't longer a liability.

I have a lot of friends who envy me just because since we finished from school in May, they've had nothing doing and been broke, to renew their BIS subscription na gbege, but me, that has never been a problem.

Awaiting service for November, while I'm on service, I'm planning on making my business bigger, and I've been saving towards that...if after this youth service, I don't get a good job on time, do you think i'll mind?! No, I won't, 'cause I have a source of income I can still sustain myself with for long.

In summary, the op's point was just that, get something doing to while you have nothing (white collar job) doing, and don't stay impoverished.

Cheers.
av bin tinkin of learning sumtin lyk ds especialy ds tailoring,w had so many strike actions,yet i didnt make use of dat. I jst hop my service year wil b enof 2 du ds and sum oda meaningful tinz
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by hawdi(m): 9:18pm On Oct 07, 2014
noordean:
av bin tinkin of learning sumtin lyk ds especialy ds tailoring,w had so many strike actions,yet i didnt make use of dat. I jst hop my service year wil b enof 2 du ds and sum oda meaningful tinz

Yes bro, it will, but only if you are determined.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by samuel25(m): 9:20pm On Oct 07, 2014
Kudos to the Op, but d painful aspect of it is that many advocates of 'start small' base their write up on imagination. The truth is that our environment didnt support such. #MyExperience: Graduated in 2007, went for NYSC 2008/9, Busy searching for work frm march-sept '09, Started recharge card biz in Sept '09 when d biz started booming having moved frm retailer to wholesaler, d Abuja devt control demolished my kiosk on Nov 2011, tried another location but things are not the same again.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by samuel25(m): 9:43pm On Oct 07, 2014
#MyExperienceContinue: i used my savings to start carwash biz in Feb '12 and after few month,i became employer of labour, having 5 boys working for me. April 2013, the Abuja task force burnt my carwash machine arrest 3 of my boys whom we bail with 4500 each, in short we were sent parking from the location. Tried to get another good location yield no result but finally settled to start somewhere but expenses increase y income decreases. Not to finish up my savings, i return to village October 2013,
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by hawdi(m): 9:51pm On Oct 07, 2014
samuel25:
#MyExperienceContinue: i used my savings to start carwash biz in Feb '12 and after few month,i became employer of labour, having 5 boys working for me. April 2013, the Abuja task force burnt my carwash machine arrest 3 of my boys whom we bail with 4500 each, in short we were sent parking from the location. Tried to get another good location yield no result but finally settled to start somewhere but expenses increase y income decreases. Not to finish up my savings, i return to village October 2013,
*sigh* Pathetic something.
If this ain't a nollywood movie, then I'm so sorry about it. BabaGod go do wonders soon! Let somebody say amen!!!!
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by sammiestar: 9:57pm On Oct 07, 2014
beriahng..com
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by samuel25(m): 9:57pm On Oct 07, 2014
#My small phone cant contain the story at once hence the break. #MyExperienceContinue: I started farming in the village during 2014 farming season but poor market, expensive and inadequate labour, CAPITAL are serious discourager.
In essence, self employed isnt easy in our country especially if you dont have wealthy and influenced background.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Jerry602(m): 10:04pm On Oct 07, 2014
Easier said dan done
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by 007gal(f): 10:52pm On Oct 07, 2014
samuel25:
#My small phone cant contain the story at once hence the break. #MyExperienceContinue: I started farming in the village during 2014 farming season but poor market, expensive and inadequate labour, CAPITAL are serious discourager.
In essence, self employed isnt easy in our country especially if you dont have wealthy and influenced background.

I am sorry to hear this but your entrepreneurship spirit is never lost and one can definitely not compare your street skills to a grad in a company. You are still more likely to make it better than a grad in company. It might take longer but when you get there, you realize you will make it even 10x more than the crappy money they make working in a white collar job.

One thing you need to know... some fields leads to bigger material gain than others..I met a guy who got into MLM and in 5 years his name is amongst the top richest in the world.

Keep the faith..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by LEAFLET(m): 11:03pm On Oct 07, 2014
Right from the early days of my life I've always known i will do no good as an office worker..I love business so much that i felt sad leaving it just to get a university degree...Once i am through here God knows i can't help but go back to something i really love doing but of course in a bigger way...Graduate or no graduate man must start somewhere...Forget that rubbish phrase ''LEADERS OF TOMORROW''..Na wash.. An average bsc holder makes like 200 or 150k a month..God a month?..That's suicide..

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Rhoteabarca(m): 11:11pm On Oct 07, 2014
Dats it ooo as Nigeria of 2day is concerned! Don't tink of wot Nigeria can do 4u,rada tink of wot u ll do 4Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by fpeter(f): 11:17pm On Oct 07, 2014
Op u try o but tell us which business u dey do ursef?
Please don't give us that fish farming or recharge card biz stuff........be innovative and tell us sumfin new.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 07, 2014
iceberylin:
ŚŐ. ÁŦŤĔŔ ÁĹĹ ŤĤĔ ŚŤŔĔŚŚ Ú ĔЖPĔČŤ Á ĞŔÁĎÚÁŤĔ ŤŐ ŚĔĹĹ Moi-MŐĨ , ČĤÁĨ,ŤĤĔĨŔ Ĩs ĞŐĎ Ő cry

Make him dey house dey wait na. Moi-moi seller wey don make am, go come employ am as marketer for am.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by NaLaugh: 11:21pm On Oct 07, 2014
iceberylin:
ŚŐ. ÁŦŤĔŔ ÁĹĹ ŤĤĔ ŚŤŔĔŚŚ Ú ĔЖPĔČŤ Á ĞŔÁĎÚÁŤĔ ŤŐ ŚĔĹĹ Moi-MŐĨ , ČĤÁĨ,ŤĤĔĨŔ Ĩs ĞŐĎ Ő cry

This link is for an ad displayed on the homepage. It is a site called kitchen.com.ng
I saw it yesterday, and clicked through it. It is a well made site which allows people order food online
to be delivered to their offices, homes etc in Nigeria.

Among its food offerings, is MOI MOI.

That is the FREAKIN point of the OP's thread. It is all about packaging.

While the illiterate would typically set up shup at a dirty bus stop, the more enlightened/educated
one would create a premium service to deliver this same meal in a hygienic and respectable manner.

Dangote would feel some type of way to stop at the grimy bus stop for moi moi, even if he craves it. However,
he would not have a problem ordering moi moi from that website, on his lunch break at the office.

Guy, catch head. All na packaging.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by NaLaugh: 11:29pm On Oct 07, 2014
fpeter:
Op u try o but tell us which business u dey do ursef?
Please don't give us that fish farming or recharge card biz stuff........be innovative and tell us sumfin new.

What does it matter what he does? He has given lost people advise. It is left for them to apply it to their lives... or not.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by NaLaugh: 11:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
samuel25:
Kudos to the Op, but d painful aspect of it is that many advocates of 'start small' base their write up on imagination. The truth is that our environment didnt support such. #MyExperience: Graduated in 2007, went for NYSC 2008/9, Busy searching for work frm march-sept '09, Started recharge card biz in Sept '09 when d biz started booming having moved frm retailer to wholesaler, d Abuja devt control demolished my kiosk on Nov 2011, tried another location but things are not the same again.

Have you ever heard the term "serial enttepreneur"?

This highlights the fact that entrepreneurship inherently leaves a trail of failed ventures.

There is not one succesful entrepreneur today who has not failed at business.

The fact that your business hit the rocks, and you quit does not invalidate entrepreneurship.
It only invalidates you as an entrepreneur.

Real entrepreneurs at heart count their losses, and move on to the next project.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by robonski16: 11:47pm On Oct 07, 2014
Well said OP, same goes for me after my youth service I ventured into agriculture and right now am an employer of labour.. our youths should look beyond white collar jobs, if u are interested in agriculture visit www.agricnetwork.com to learn more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by nebukadnezzari(m): 12:03am On Oct 08, 2014
I would rather push drugs...#dreamshardworkcantbuy. Any S.a king pin in the house? I may just have a proposition for you. Malay n uk goons too
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Originalsly: 1:08am On Oct 08, 2014
hawdi:
It's just annoying when people read through a post without trying as hard as possible to get the point. Many attended schools truly but they ain't even applying one bit of it to life.

What the op meant was not a matter of you totally abandoning your hard-earned certificate, but divert the knowledge you gained before earning this certificate into something worthwhile. You can't because you finished school with whatever grade but couldn't get a job and then sit for months or years broke without doing any other thing. If you hunt for job for a while and you ain't seeming to make a headway, bro, find something else doing instead of staying broke and remaining a liability to your family.

I'm a fresh graduate of Physiology, LAUTECH, had my 6months IT in 2012, during the last trimester of the training, I learnt tailoring before returning back to school, I resumed school with a sewing machine and started making a few hundreds to thousands in addition to the pocket money they sent at home. Did this all through my finals and I never regretted it.

Since I finished school, I've been sewing and training more alongside, making few few cash for my daily upkeep; my mother is free and not bothered about me like she used to be, she believes I can take care of myself now, I ain't longer a liability.

I have a lot of friends who envy me just because since we finished from school in May, they've had nothing doing and been broke, to renew their BIS subscription na gbege, but me, that has never been a problem.

Awaiting service for November, while I'm on service, I'm planning on making my business bigger, and I've been saving towards that...if after this youth service, I don't get a good job on time, do you think i'll mind?! No, I won't, 'cause I have a source of income I can still sustain myself with for long.

In summary, the op's point was just that, get something doing to while you have nothing (white collar job) doing, and don't stay impoverished.

Cheers.
If I had it my way.....I would have OP on TV every night dishing out the bitter truth about most graduates.....and you right after him testifying! I do think most graduates know this anyway.....but pride is the main obstacle...me?....a graduate seen selling moimoi? ...even if is N500 000/month I rather die!
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by thinkngrowrich(m): 4:28am On Oct 08, 2014
Success bypass folks because it usually looks like work and dresses in overalls and boots cool
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by kevinhacker(m): 4:38am On Oct 08, 2014
papiforreal:

bros my sis is the best graduating student in her set 2011, chemistry department, she has no permanent job up till now. So, stop failing to the lies and deception of these goverment.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by emmabest2000(m): 5:57am On Oct 08, 2014
Richardjemedafe:
WELCOME TO NIGERIA:
®Where sex is free and love is costly.
®Where loosing a phone is more painful than
loosing VIRGINITY...
®Where, if u don't cheat on your partner, u are
not sharp and smart.
®Where Bathrooms has become photo STUDIO...
®Where getting a GALAXY phone is greater than
achieving a DEGREE...
®Where yahoo boys have brighter future than
graduates...
®Where temples are turned into dating points,
®Where worshiping God in truth & spirit is
difficult.
®Where lies are turned into realities...
®Where ladies fear Pregnancy than HIV...
®Where pizza delivery is faster than emergency
response
®Where people fear thieves, robbers & Boko
Haram than God...
®Where people go to church with BB chargers
rather than Bible.
®Where guys are scared of getting married but
love to have sex...
®Where we have highest number of musician due
to unemployment.
®Where the higher your offense the lower ur
punishment and
vice versa...
®Where the number of churches & mosque are
more than the worshipers.. ®Where we say Up
NEPA more than we say Praise THE LORD...
®Where a school drop-out politician is Ten times
richer and more respected than a professor...
®Where unemployed youths pick up weapons to
fight in support of the politicians who deprive
them of employment & a good life...
®where someone who cannot speak English but
can say Chai, Chai deris God is given honorary
Doctorate degrees...
WHAT A COUNTRY!!..
I BOW. .
Nigeria is Special ...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Ucheosefoh(m): 6:33am On Oct 08, 2014
ProfGday:
Viewing this topic: cramjones, mylesJ, Phranckanny(m), needful, sholaypompon, kingpin007, doyin1985(m), bocajay(m), ademola1333(m), Ucheosefoh(m), cocoduck, irohadis, seyigiggle, AgentXxx, daryoor(m), samuel25(m), hawdi(m), symbianDON(m), Histrings08(m), Panayo, yahyus(m), stanconnect(m), buyaka(m), hollermeelaycon(m), Elthugnificent(m), pboiskinpy(m), oln, Chijosky(m), kemtol, Winneygirl(f), Doluseun(m), biopat(m), lowgeorge(m), elijames(m), gistmelove(m), eezor(m), Richiy(f), ayoku777(m), dammytosh, sigolisis, lanrayco, sutsirave(m), Petra23(f), barackodam(m), jiorhemen(m), mzjaney(f), Bede2u(m), heywhytech1, cecildeeva, Hector1759, David4best, nsikakudom, GuyFawkes and 50 guest(s)
if all of this ppu are using their time productively instead of wasting their time on ds piece Nigeria is in deep shit.
So were you using your time productively when you post this? Kettle calling pot black
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by MyX1: 6:35am On Oct 08, 2014
Jayuba:
Tell us your esperience on how you started. As in, did u sell akara and akamu? Or did you sell firewood before you made it? ....You dey talk like say e easy to dey sch for 4-5yrs and after that you begin sell akara for you to cum and buy.... The thunder wey go fire you dey do press up. This talk no make sense.
The above comment is the example of a Tipical Nigerian mentality!
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Jayuba(m): 7:19am On Oct 08, 2014
MyX1:
The above comment is the example of a Tipical Nigerian mentality!
Okey. You are not a Nigerian.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by iaatmguy(m): 7:22am On Oct 08, 2014
234GT:
But don't blame them! When your friend made it quick and large with a job at Chevron nkko?

You now want Ada Or Segun to start small by selling recharge card? When his classmate who works with etisalat is cruising a 2005 lexus aroung and feeling like a superstar?
all hands are not equal
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by InglishTeechar(m): 7:35am On Oct 08, 2014
[quote author=jonuel1 post=26944636]

People like you should go and live in sudan or cameroon for 10yrs and am sure on your return you will realise what a great nation Nigeria is.

Is this not the same Nigeria that people are success stories and are celebrated around the world? If you dont see something good in others how are you suppose to see something in yourself.

All the enemies of Nigeria will perish, they will never enjoy anything in life since they refuse to see anything good.

Its easy to complain and difficult to built...only lazy people chose the easy way, they are possessed with the evil spirit of always complaining and not doing anything to better the situation.

Ask yourself, what is your own contribution to making Nigeria better for all ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ahmed Abdulrahman Helps His Sick Cleaner Who Failed To Show Up At Work / I Work With A Dead Man's Certificate: I Need Help..please HELP A Nlder / Mohammed Babandede Resumes Duty After Recovery From Coronavirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.