Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

What Is Plagiarism As Far As Blogging Is Concerned? Legal Experts Only Pls - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is Plagiarism As Far As Blogging Is Concerned? Legal Experts Only Pls (647 Views)

Business Without A Web Platform Can't Go As Far As You Want! See Why / What It Takes To Establish A Bureau De Change(experts Only, No Clowning.thanks!) / I Want To Go In To Blogging.is It Worth It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Plagiarism As Far As Blogging Is Concerned? Legal Experts Only Pls by scribble: 3:35pm On Oct 09, 2014
Is Nairaland guilty of plagiarismas they also lift wholesale pictures etc like Linda Ikeji? NO!

look at what I gleaned from the Wikipedia Plagiarism page

Factors that justify reuse[edit]
Pamela Samuelson, in 1994, identified several factors she says excuse reuse of one's previously published work, that make it not self-plagiarism.[31] She relates each of these factors specifically to the ethical issue of self-plagiarism, as distinct from the legal issue of fair use of copyright, which she deals with separately. Among other factors that may excuse reuse of previously published material Samuelson lists the following:

The previous work must be restated to lay the groundwork for a new contribution in the second work.
Portions of the previous work must be repeated to deal with new evidence or arguments.
The audience for each work is so different that publishing the same work in different places is necessary to get the message out.
The author thinks they said it so well the first time that it makes no sense to say it differently a second time.
Samuelson states she has relied on the "different audience" rationale when attempting to bridge interdisciplinary communities. She refers to writing for different legal and technical communities, saying: "there are often paragraphs or sequences of paragraphs that can be bodily lifted from one article to the other. And, in truth, I lift them." She refers to her own practice of converting "a technical article into a law review article with relatively few changes—adding footnotes and one substantive section" for a different audience.[31]

Samuelson describes misrepresentation as the basis of self-plagiarism.[31] She also states "Although it seems not to have been raised in any of the self-plagiarism cases, copyrights law's fair use defense would likely provide a shield against many potential publisher claims of copyright infringement against authors who reused portions of their previous works."[31]

Now let me ask if not for Nairaland and Linda Ikeji do you think its everything TMZ, Media Take Out, TIME, Forbes etc post that the average Nigerian will see.

Obviously not, you need platforms like this in order to help get the message out...the doctrine of Fair Use protects Linda Ikeji...

I wish she would get a solid copyright lawyer
Re: What Is Plagiarism As Far As Blogging Is Concerned? Legal Experts Only Pls by Raiders: 3:51pm On Oct 09, 2014
Nairaland is quite different from Linda blog. Nairaland is a forum. Linda blog should have cited her source of information and stop claiming peoples intellectual property as her own. She was wrong and I hope she learns from her mistake
Re: What Is Plagiarism As Far As Blogging Is Concerned? Legal Experts Only Pls by scribble: 5:53pm On Oct 13, 2014
But what's the difference?
Re: What Is Plagiarism As Far As Blogging Is Concerned? Legal Experts Only Pls by lalasticlala(m): 11:26pm On Dec 05, 2014
scribble:
But what's the difference?

I replied ur mail
Re: What Is Plagiarism As Far As Blogging Is Concerned? Legal Experts Only Pls by benebaby77: 7:15am On Dec 06, 2014
Plagiarism is commonplace among many bloggers especially Nigeria's own who desire keep their blog up to date for their reader.

Many will lift words for words on particular or forum website paste on their website for their reader to make out and view their opinion with a tad or no proper acknowledgement (Mankind the owner of Naijaloaded falls victim of this). The guy is a thief, a thief in the sense that he steals people's work and present it as his own or as a product of his thinking. Check his site, you will what I'm talking about.

There are some people who think of themself as very smart when it comes to plagirism. They will argue that they didn't plagirism anybody's work yet they copied it from somewhere, re-write the sentences, changing the words the progenitor of the works used and making some editing without proper credit to whom it due. I called this pladi-modifying, lol.

However there are two types of plagiarism, intended and unintended plagirism. And plagirism has many forms.

(1) (Reply)

Eliminate Financial Problems Through Self Discipline / What do you think about going for a Spa Session? / Help! How Profitable Is Cement Retail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.