Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,682 members, 7,801,966 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:07 AM

Bible Study For Bible Students - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bible Study For Bible Students (8758 Views)

10 Types Of People Who Search For Bible Verses In Church. / Bible Students Come Up Here And Exegete Zechariah 12:10 Vs John 19:37 / Calling Bible Students To Evaluate These Verses: Davidlyan, Frosbel, Goshen Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia5: 2:47am On Oct 08, 2013
Then the Lord was jealous for his land
and took pity on his people.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia5: 5:48am On Dec 06, 2013
A Child in a Manger

Luke 2

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia5: 6:26am On Dec 06, 2013
And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger

How could a baby swaddled and lying in a manger be considered a sign from God to people?

if that were the case, one would at least assume the baby would have a halo or glowing light surrounding it, doesnt seem to be the case here. The sign was not the flashing angels or the symphony and bright lights seen by the shepherds, rather it was just a baby in a manger. To understand this sign better, one has to look at the circumstances surrounding the event.

1. The angels appeared to shepherds out in the fields tending their sheep, not the people in the towns and cities.

Throwback to Abel, who was a shepherd and brought an acceptable offering to God. The later shepherds are witnesses for this time, since the voice of Abel's blood cries to God from the ground [ie in remembrance]. Also foreshadowing Jesus death and resurrection.

2. Jesus was born among livestock [animals]. And the firstborn, unlike previously in the genesis account, where cain the farmer preceded the shepherd. And gave his offering first [fruit of the ground, symbolic of the disobedience in the garden of eden and man's fall/rebellion], while abel gave his own acceptable offering last, thus it did not cover cain's initial one.

3. A manger is not really an attractive place at the best of times, and certainly not for a baby. Mangers are feeding troughs where animals eat and drink. A sign consisting of a baby swaddled and in a manger , shows a child of great importance (swaddling shows care by the mother or mother figure) who is in the poorest of circumstances. The shepherds may be expected to see something more wonderful like a halo or angels visibly surrounding the boy, but this contradiction shows Jesus whose mission will be equally polarizing.

4. Christ is the Great Shepherd and we are his sheep.

He is also the Good Shepherd.

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

@ bolded, the shepherds were watching their flocks at night, protecting them from predators which would harm them under the cover of darkness.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia5: 3:15am On Dec 15, 2013
The question of birthdays and other occasions

what should be a christian's attitude to birthdays and other commemorative events such as christmas, easter, etc, which are observed by orthodox churches but considered to be of pagan origin by some schools of thought?
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia5: 10:34pm On Dec 15, 2013
in bible times, birthdays were typically celebrated by kings and the monarchy. Thus, while being an occasion of celebration for some people, those who incurred the monarch's disppleasure, would also be remembered on that day

in the old and new testaments, both instances in which birthdays were mentioned, were accompanied by negativity. This is the reason why some schools of thought consider birthdays unnecessary for christians.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia5: 3:16pm On Dec 21, 2013
The problem which now arises is the issue of 'killjoy' whereby those who monitor times and dates, choose particular occasions to strike.

this mindset has an occultic basis.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia5: 4:43am On Dec 22, 2013
More on Christmas, Birthdays and other occasions

Gen 1:

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

God established the second sets or phases of light, to mark signs, seasons, and time.

this would be the sun, moon and stars, which are all markers of time and which humans use as indicators of time and age. Any celebrations and seasons are directly tied to these because they are our only indicators of time.

the signs in the stars were what the shepherds saw originally before they were redirected to the human child in the manger, likewise the magi were observing the stars for signs and this led them to Christ.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia: 6:56am On Jun 28, 2014
ok, got this saved i think.

in multiple locations.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia5: 3:30pm On Jul 09, 2014
A general study of occupations in the Bible.

initial ones, that is.

1. Farming/Agriculture

Adam was placed in the garden to dress and keep it, and also eat from the trees there. His two eldest sons also became farmers- one planted crops and the other raised animals.

2. Clothing

After they fell, adam and eve made aprons out of plant leaves [and just to cover their private parts]. This was not sufficient, so God provided them with coats made from animal skins which were a more general covering.

3. Security

a flaming sword was utilized to guard the garden after adam and eve were expelled. Likewise, cherubims were placed there for protection.

Occupations after Cain's fall [Cain's descendants]

4. Construction [city building]

after becoming a fugitive and no longer a farmer, cain became a builder after his son was born and he was somewhat settled.

5. Entertainment [music]

Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.

6. Metalworking

Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron

Adam's descendants [through Seth his third son]

7. Ministry [religion]

And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the Lord.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia5: 3:32pm On Jul 09, 2014
there is no mention made here of government, i assume government would be included in city building and religion [ministry].

subject to correction.

there is also no express mention made of health industry, this was represented by the tree of life placed in the centre of the garden. Adam's job included tending this tree [prior to the fall].
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia1: 3:26am On Jul 15, 2014
One thousand of ten thousand

Psalm 50

10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.

11 I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine.

Psalm 144

That our garners may be full, affording all manner of store: that our sheep may bring forth thousands and ten thousands in our streets

in the first passage, God says He owns the cattle on a thousand hills. And all the wild beasts, birds and animals in the forests and field.

Why was a distinction made between domesticated and non-domesticated animals as per ownership? In other words, why does the passage specifically refer to "the cattle on a thousand hills" instead of "all cattle everywhere"?

imo, the cattle on thousand hills are a form of non-monetary "tithe", meaning the hills or cattle being referred to, are a tenth of a total. The overall figure would be ten thousand hills (of cattle), of which "one thousand" are the overt property of God.

Where are the other nine thousand hills of cattle? They are to be used to conduct the regular world's business, including buying, selling, finances, whatever constitutes a society's basic infrastructure.

The reason why domesticated animals are distinct from the wild ones, includes the fact that cattle (ie domestic animals used in commerce), belong to human beings. They are used to mark where civilization begins and primitiveness ends. Kingdom building.

The second passage refers to sheep (also domesticated animals) bringing forth thousands and ten thousands. Once again, thousand is used as a marker- its a tenth of ten thousand, a non-monetary tithe.

In an interesting sidenote,

Gen 1

25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

man was given (dominion over) fish, domestic animals, and every creeping thing, but curiously, wild animals were not specifically mentioned in this directive. They could of course be included in "over all the earth" and "every creeping thing", but the cattle (representing civilization) were an important marker which man was to use to establish his authority (dominion) on earth.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia1: 4:10am On Jul 22, 2014
Joseph's Marriage

Genesis 41

45 And Pharaoh called Joseph's name Zaphnathpaaneah; and he gave him to wife Asenath the daughter of Potipherah priest of On. And Joseph went out over all the land of Egypt.

50 And unto Joseph were born two sons before the years of famine came, which Asenath the daughter of Potipherah priest of On bare unto him

3 And Jacob said unto Joseph, God Almighty appeared unto me at Luz in the land of Canaan, and blessed me

5 And now thy two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, which were born unto thee in the land of Egypt before I came unto thee into Egypt, are mine

the only thing i want to point out here is Joseph's practice of monogamy even though he was from a polygamous background. In addition to that, he was the chief official in Egypt, second only to Pharaoh himself, so it would seem his lifestyle was not unusual there, at that time.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia6: 3:50pm On Nov 13, 2014
The Sign for Samson

Matthew 12

38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.

39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia6: 3:54pm On Nov 13, 2014
Judges 16

20b He awoke from his sleep and thought, “I’ll go out as before and shake myself free.” But he did not know that the Lord had left him.

Samson failed to heed the signs, probably because he had previously never done so (ie place too much importance on those).
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia6: 7:45am On Nov 17, 2014
1 Kings 19

44 And at the seventh time he said, “Behold, a little cloud like a man's hand is rising from the sea.” And he said, “Go up, say to Ahab, ‘Prepare your chariot and go down, lest the rain stop you.’”

45 And in a little while the heavens grew black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode and went to Jezreel.

46 And the hand of the Lord was on Elijah, and he gathered up his garment and ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia003: 8:03am On Dec 27, 2014
Isaiah 45:7

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

noticing the use of "create" in this verse, is interesting.

create means to bring something into existence, to cause a situation or something new to exist, to produce or bring about by a course of action.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/create

God says darkness and evil are also things which are created by Him, as opposed to when he "forms" and "makes" light and peace.

Form is when you shape something from pre existing or available material, while make means to form, cause or create.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia3396: 2:51am On Dec 31, 2014
Isaiah 45:3

And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places,

continuing with this darkness theme (or maybe predating the previous verse), is a mention of "treasures of darkness" which God promised to give his anointed.

the darkness hides some treasures in areas where light does not penetrate, likewise secret places have riches which will also be brought to the fore.

wealth creation.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpia3396: 3:03am On Dec 31, 2014
continuing the wealth creation theme:

Isaiah 44

24 Thus saith the Lord, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the Lord that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

25 That frustrateth the tokens of the liars, and maketh diviners mad; that turneth wise men backward, and maketh their knowledge foolish;

26 That confirmeth the word of his servant, and performeth the counsel of his messengers; that saith to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be inhabited; and to the cities of Judah, Ye shall be built, and I will raise up the decayed places thereof:

27 That saith to the deep, Be dry, and I will dry up thy rivers:

28 That saith of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.

in verse 26, God commanded Jerusalem to be inhabited and Judah to be built. This standing order was obviously after a previous curse placed on both, possibly by the enemies of both. God intervened personally in order to revoke this curse (since it was time), and appointed Cyrus to start the rebuilding. God gave him the treasures of darkness and an assurance, for this purpose. Without those, it could not have been done because the powers against Jerusalem and Judah were many and also very strong and very spiritual (occult).

so, the treasures of darkness redirected by God, are to be used in building his kingdom, as he directs and for a specific purpose.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiar: 3:36pm On Jan 26, 2015
back to genesis.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiadotcom: 4:15pm On Jun 12, 2015
"Lord, Teach Us How To Pray"

And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.

2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say,

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

3 Give us day by day our daily bread.

4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us.

And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

Luke 11
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiander: 4:04am On Jul 09, 2015
The Sons of Thunder

Mark 3:7

And James the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and he surnamed them Boanerges, which is, The sons of thunder
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiander: 6:01pm On Aug 03, 2015
The Second Coming

Heb 9:28

So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation..
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiander: 6:06pm On Aug 03, 2015
In the above verse, we have two numerical identifiers.

1. Christ was offered once. This is the born again experience.

2. Unto those that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

So, using your born again experience as an excuse to indulge in sin of any sort, will not help you if you are privy to a lifestyle that does not glorify God.

After getting born again, you need to behave in ways that show point # 2.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight O Lord"
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiah2: 8:56pm On Aug 13, 2015
Honoured by the Lord

So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obededom into the city of David with gladness.

And David danced before the Lord with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

And as the ark of the Lord came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the Lord; and she despised him in her heart.

And they brought in the ark of the Lord, and set it in his place, in the midst of the tabernacle that David had pitched for it: and David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the Lord.

And as soon as David had made an end of offering burnt offerings and peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord of hosts.

And he dealt among all the people, even among the whole multitude of Israel, as well to the women as men, to every one a cake of bread, and a good piece of flesh, and a flagon of wine. So all the people departed every one to his house.

Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!

And David said unto Michal, It was before the Lord, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel: therefore will I play before the Lord.

And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour.

2 Samuel 6
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiah2: 9:00pm On Aug 13, 2015
Wearing a linen ephod, David was dancing before the Lord with all his might, while he and all Israel were bringing up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets.

As the ark of the Lord was entering the City of David, Michal daughter of Saul watched from a window. And when she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, she despised him in her heart.

They brought the ark of the Lord and set it in its place inside the tent that David had pitched for it, and David sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings before the Lord. After he had finished sacrificing the burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord Almighty. Then he gave a loaf of bread, a cake of dates and a cake of raisins to each person in the whole crowd of Israelites, both men and women. And all the people went to their homes.

When David returned home to bless his household, Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet him and said, “How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, going around half-naked in full view of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!”

David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord’s people Israel—I will celebrate before the Lord. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor.”
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiander: 2:21pm On Aug 17, 2015
The Two Types of Love

1 John 3

11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.

13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiander: 2:26pm On Aug 17, 2015
The above message was written to Christians, and discusses two types of love.

There is the love that kills, and the love that heals.

The love that kills, is known as hatred, which is the type of love found between Cain and his brother.

The love of God, which God shows to us, is the love that heals. This is the type of love Christians are expected to demonstrate to one another.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiander: 8:47pm On Oct 03, 2015
The Plains of Shinar, or Gerrarahere Mehn
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiander: 8:48pm On Oct 03, 2015
Genesis 10

The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.

3 And the sons of Gomer; Ashkenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah.

4 And the sons of Javan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.

By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

And the sons of Ham; Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and Canaan.

8 And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth.

9 He was a mighty hunter before the Lord: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the Lord.

10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.

11 Out of that land went forth Asshur, and builded Nineveh, and the city Rehoboth, and Calah,

The land of Shinar was a place where people began once again to build cities after the flood, mostly populated or pioneered by the descendants of Ham. The descendants of Japheth, on the hand, were divided by "isles"; this indicates they were a sea faring people.One of their towns was Tarshish, which was the city Jonah headed to when running from God.

21 Unto Shem also, the father of all the children of Eber, the brother of Japheth the elder, even to him were children born.

25 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided

This earth division could either be referring to the continents and/or the division at Babel when the people/nations were scattered.

Either way, the people had plans for a great city at Shinar, from there, other great cities were built.

It is also very possible Noah was still alive during this time, and Nimrod may have known him/learnt from him and other ancestors personally. After the continents were split (or the earth divided), the average life span decreased drastically from hundreds of years to less than a hundred in general. In addition, from this point onwards, genealogy was specifically tracked through Shem's line. Shem btw, lived only 600+ years, compared to 800- over 900 years which people lived on average.

It is also likely Shem may have still been alive when Abram or Terah was born. (I did the math but dont have it with me right now and am making a general estimate at the moment). So, Abram was born either shortly after he died at 600+ years, or he lived to see Abram/Abram's father and the start of a new covenant with God. Nimrod does not seem to have had any covenant with God when building his cities.
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiander: 8:59pm On Oct 11, 2015
A note about Tarshish:

Tarshish was where Jonah ran to when disobeying God. It was a sea faring city and the opposite direction from Nineveh where he was supposed to go. However, it's interesting to note he encountered a flood which threatened to destroy him and everyone else, same way the first flood had destroyed the earth. He was saved this time, by a living ark (not a wooden one) in the form of a whale. And he so badly wanted the city to be destroyed that he got angry when it wasnt, and God again had to use the elements to demonstrate to him his limitations and lack of empathy.

From the foregoing, we see Jonah was a powerful prophet or powerful man and very knowledgeable as well (why did he flee to Tarshish which was from the descendants of Japheth, as opposed to Nineveh which was founded by the descendants of Ham).
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiander: 2:29am On Oct 12, 2015
Re: Bible Study For Bible Students by tpiander: 2:30am On Oct 12, 2015
Why was Eve Created?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria / What Are The Legacies Of The Outgoing Buhari's Government On The Church? / What Christianity Teaches! God Hate Religion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.