Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

Tapping/Scrapping Sound After Oil Change 2001 Nissan Pathfinder HELP! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tapping/Scrapping Sound After Oil Change 2001 Nissan Pathfinder HELP! (1479 Views)

Free Oil, Free Oil Filter,free Oil Change, Free Vehicle Scan / Scrapping Sound From Engine Bay. / Rattling, Knocking Sound After Changing Oil Seal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tapping/Scrapping Sound After Oil Change 2001 Nissan Pathfinder HELP! by oblo(m): 8:10pm On Oct 09, 2014
Ok..

I am more of a VW guy but sometimes I just have to. handle some other brands of cars.. and this time...erm.. well...I decided to go and service my Mother In-laws 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 litre with mileage of 123k miles plus (if to say I know I for just leave am jeje) angry

Well.. off I went to camp Enugu where am based to get engine oil, filter, Plugs, Air filter and some other odds and ends lipsrsealed.

Well as an ardent reader of. car talk treads off I went in search of a brand bearing 0w-30 which I think is the recommended spec for the car in question. (I no get manual) I. did not get that one so I got 10w-40 instead as everyone seemed to stock 20w-50

Mechanic did. the service and changed the oil and evvery thing seemed in order but after driving for about 30mins with ac blasting I. noticed a tapping sound like something metalic was rubbing or scraping against another coming from the front of the engine.

went back to mechanic and after trouble shooting. sound persisted. and we. had to go and eventually buy 20w-50 as mechanic insisted that it was because 10w-40 was not what had been used in all its previous services and my Mother inlaw confirmed that they had always used the regular 20w-50.

He did the change (wasted my fresh 10w-40) angry sound. remained and his solution was that I drive around and that the sound would disapear (he apparently changed his proffesion to soothsayer before my very own eyes) lipsrsealed and well if it did not.. make I come back tomorrow.(i guessed he had not a clue to that sound) grin

Oya..i don come abeg the car techies in the house come and devine for me oo make them no tell me say na new engine I need to buy!! shocked
Re: Tapping/Scrapping Sound After Oil Change 2001 Nissan Pathfinder HELP! by kenmaro: 9:07pm On Oct 09, 2014
It's the tappet valves. I guess the sound should stop after driving for a few days. An over-due oil service change interval and low oil lubrication is one of the causes too. Lets hope it stops.
Re: Tapping/Scrapping Sound After Oil Change 2001 Nissan Pathfinder HELP! by mayor2013: 9:35pm On Oct 09, 2014
You don enta one chance. When we say use the recommended oil type I guess we giving a good advice. Just pray the sound goes
Re: Tapping/Scrapping Sound After Oil Change 2001 Nissan Pathfinder HELP! by oblo(m): 5:19am On Oct 10, 2014
mayor2013:
You don enta one chance. When we say use the recommended oil type I guess we giving a good advice. Just pray the sound goes

Maybe but from what I read 10w-40 can be used. Besides the oil that had always been uused to service the car had been 20w-50

kenmaro:
It's the tappet valves. I guess the sound should stop after driving for a few days. An over-due oil service change interval and low oil lubrication is one of the causes too. Lets hope it stops.

can it be that? if you say over due for service it was not havin that issue before I serviced and can low oil lubrication be caused by new oil?
Re: Tapping/Scrapping Sound After Oil Change 2001 Nissan Pathfinder HELP! by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:17am On Oct 10, 2014
when comes to cars

one model of car may have different type of based on the average morning temperature hence you find the number 0w, 5w, 10w,15w, 20w etc

that number means the average morning temperature wo whats the point of using 0w in nigeria when the average morning temperature roughly above 7 so using 5w would be ok

some manufactures have one grade that is recommend for all temperatures except for extreme ones

like in this picture before its snap short from a nissan pathfinder 2005 user manual

Re: Tapping/Scrapping Sound After Oil Change 2001 Nissan Pathfinder HELP! by oblo(m): 4:52am On Oct 11, 2014
Went throoug the net and from what I gathered the timing chain should be the possible culprit.
Re: Tapping/Scrapping Sound After Oil Change 2001 Nissan Pathfinder HELP! by erico2k2(m): 11:36am On Oct 11, 2014
oblo:
Went throoug the net and from what I gathered the timing chain should be the possible culprit.

I dont think so.I think he should open the buttom plate and check the Oil pump and also to see id there is a lose part
Re: Tapping/Scrapping Sound After Oil Change 2001 Nissan Pathfinder HELP! by oblo(m): 5:59am On Oct 18, 2014
after we. checked we found out it was the Timing chain adjusters and guides that had given up. We changed and also changed the timing bels since the car had clocked over a 100k miles. Water pump alsoo seemed a good preventive maintenance part to change while we were at it.

Car is running like new once more.

Thanks for the inputs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tapping/Scrapping Sound After Oil Change 2001 Nissan Pathfinder HELP! by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 26, 2016
please your mechanic number here in coal camp

(1) (Reply)

Camry 2007 Flashing Check Light / My New Lagos Experience / From A VIO officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.