Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,021 members, 7,799,481 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 (9787 Views)

Microsoft Lanches Windows 10 OS In 190 Countries As Free Upgrade / Top 7 Most Technologically Advanced Countries In Africa / The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 by klevajey: 2:10am On Mar 28, 2015
cos our technology is planting of crops and rearing of animals for man's use
Re: 12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 by Feraz(m): 12:03am On Mar 29, 2015
ChokolateBoss:
Technology is the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry. Many nations worldwide have used technology to enhance the quality of life of their people.
Here is the 12 most technologically advanced countries in the world as of 2014.

12.) China
China has often been touted as the next super power. Some say that it is already a superpower. The nation has surprised the world with major developments in the field of technology. Gunpowder and compass were first used in China. Today it is focusing on fields like robotics, semiconductors, high-speed trains, supercomputers, genetics and automobiles. It is steadily expanding its space exploration program.
Honestly, whenever I look at China, I marvel at how determination can get you to where you want. Little wonder that most things are outsourced to them. Look at the effort of the government and the citizens in order to make it less dependent on foreign technologies.

11.) Netherlands
High-tech companies in the Netherlands manufacture telecommunication systems, computers, electronic measurement and control equipment, medical and scientific instruments, and electric switching gear and transformers. The nation has made significant strides with inventions like compact disc, artificial kidney, pendulum clock, telescope and microscope.

Superbus by Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
I guess most of their determination came after they saw what heavy reliance on natural resources can cause. Look up 'Dutch diseased economy'.

10.) Singapore
Singapore is a high-tech, business-friendly nation. It is a knowledge-based, innovation driven economy. The nation has fastest internet in the world. The home internet speed is up to 1 Gbps. All the citizens of Singapore own a smartphone. The nation is well-known for its high-tech infrastructure.

Singapore University of Technology and Design
I swear that this country still makes me open my mouth in awe. Had their independence after Nigeria and have now advanced technologically better than Nigeria, all thanks to the founding father of the modern nation - Lee Kuan Yew (God bless him) who single handedly transformed the nation from third world to a first world nation. And to think it was together with Malaysia before being balkanized. One need to look at how they have advanced; their universities aren't left out as there was a thread here that showed what their students did with a 3D printer.

7.) Finland
Finland is well-known for high-tech projects and healthcare facilities. It gave birth to Nokia, which was a world leader in mobile communications for many years. Now-a-days the nation is focusing on biosciences, energy and environmental science.
To think Nokia came from this country speaks volume. . . .

5.) Germany
Germany has been a high-tech nation for decades. It is well-known for its achievements in the field of engineering. German research scientists have contributed in fields like space travel and nanotechnology. Research and development efforts are an integral part of the German economy. Scientific research in the country is supported by the industry. Germany is the home of many research organizations like Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Scientific community, Fraunhofer Society and Max Planck Society. Germany’s automotive technology is outstanding with big brands like Mercedes-Benz, Audi, BMW, Volkswagen and Porsche.
Another nation I so much have respect for. When you have people like Otto, Planck, Von Braun, Albert Einstein, Oppenheimer, Kepler, Gauss, Fraunhofer etc, how won't you be developed? These are men that have brought about theories, hypothesis, equations, tech and what not being used today. After being brought to its knees during the war, came back waxing stronger.

4.) Israel
Around 35 percent of Israel’s exports are technology-related. Israel is one among the top five in space science. It is also known for its innovations in the defense industry. Israel developed the first unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with real-time surveillance. This amazing nation is among the few nations in the world that have modern electric car infrastructure. You will find a well-maintained network of recharging stations all over Israel.
One only need to look at the iron dome (if I am not mistaken, the best air defense system) of this nation and marvel.

3.) South Korea
South Korea is the birthplace of technology companies like LG, Hyundai and Samsung. These brands are competing with global technology brands like Apple and Toyota. South Korean scientists have made significant contributions in fields like robotics. The average internet speed in South Korea is thrice that in the US.
After how many years of war, this country came back strong. Well versed in shipping and ocean technology, telecommunications (Samsung), Hyundai, Kia etc.

1.) Japan
Japan is well-known for its scientific research. Research scientists of Japan have made immense contributions in various fields like automobiles, electronics, machinery, earthquake engineering, optics, industrial robotics, metals and semi-conductors. The nation has been looking to become less dependant on imported fuel since 1973. Its efforts bore fruit in 2008, when it inaugurated seven nuclear reactors. Nuclear reactors supply around 34 percent of the nation’s electricity. Japanese researchers have won many Nobel Prizes.
My love for this country knows no bound. Apart from technology, they are ruling the world right now with their mangas from Naruto to Bleach to Fairy tail to Tokyo Ghaul etc. (All manga fans, I hail oh... grin) A nation that has developed a space probe that is to land on an asteroid and bring back a sample to earthshocked (Hayabusa 2). You need to see the country to appreciate them (I hope to visit one day.. wink)

What can Nigeria learn from these nations?

If according to history, we absorbed the Biafran Engineers, I believe we will not be where we are technologically. China believed in her 'fake' tech and look at where it has brought them. If we think our brothers down east are into the above, we only need to see the potential in it, invest, adhere to international best practices and watch the positive results we will get and how big the economy will grow. We need to put selfish interests aside like Lee Kuan Yew did and see ourselves as one thereby developing this nation. It is amazing that countries that we were better than previously have surpassed us. The world will not wait for us, we need to develop ourselves. we need to look past oil and invest more on STEM. No nation develops with a single commodity. From the proceeds we have gotten from oil, we need to invest in other sectors of the economy and grow it. The world is looking for cleaner sources of energy and honestly, oil will soon be useless. You only need to look up project ITER (I am hoping to start a thread on that) and see how the world is pursuing clean energy. Also look at the countries involved and the amount to be used; you will be shocked.

We can not keep praying, expecting God to come down to help us advance technologically. He is busy attending to pressing matters in the cosmos. He has given us something valuable to use - the brain which is much more than the natural resources we have here; someone once said something and I quote - "More gold has been mined from the minds of men than from the earth's crust".

I am surprised Japan is rated above USA.

Notable mentions are Brazil, France, Italy, India, Sweden, Austria

CC: Ishilove, Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy - this thread deserves front page. . .

1 Like

Re: 12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 by Nobody: 9:41pm On Mar 30, 2015
@Feraz. Wow! That's a 5-star analysis u got there.
Why are u surprised that Japan is rated above USA? With the kind of technologies coming from Japan, I'm suspecting they're being tutored by futuristic time-travelling shape-shifting aliens from 10,000A.D.

(Just kidding about d alien part grin)

They're advancing in nanorobotics (which is an innovative technology on a frigging epic scale). Imagine intelligent robots smaller than the width of a human hair which can be injected into the body and controlled on a molecular level to alter the cells within d body. Imagine how treatment and cures will look like. U can be treated for the most deadly diseases/ailments or injuries within minutes. When that kinda tech comes to naija, many pastors don lose market be that grin.

They're the first to succeed in developing true 3D display using laser plasma technology. With their device, 3D images can be created in mid-air without the use of a screen. They even promised a high tech marvel of said 3D display, in their final pitch to host the 2022 World Cup. They planned on paving 400 stadiums around the world with 3D flat screens to show life size matches thousands of miles away. In other words, its possible to watch live world cup matches from say, Abuja stadium. I'm not talking of watching it on big screens, I'm talking of seeing the players & ref, playing on the Abuja pitch as if they're actually there. The only difference is that the players in the actual WC venue will be real flesh & blood humans while those same players in the Abuja stadium will be 3D holograms.
Wished they won the bid, instead of Qatar.

There's also the ALMA (Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array) state-of-the-art radio telescope which can convert waves from a dying star into music.

Then Nissan's autonomous drive car which can think and make decisions due to its artificial intelligence. Less accidents and traffic congestion.

Abeg they deserve to come on top the US anytime anyday.

As for what Nigeria will learn, hmmmmm....in my opinion, we will never learn. Not with the mentality of the average Nigerian on the street or those at the helm of affairs in govt. Our educational curriculum even makes it worse.
Re: 12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 by Nobody: 9:41pm On Mar 30, 2015
Re: 12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 by Nobody: 9:55pm On Mar 30, 2015
Re: 12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 by Feraz(m): 12:10pm On Apr 01, 2015
ChokolateBoss:
@Feraz. Wow! That's a 5-star analysis u got there.
Why are u surprised that Japan is rated above USA? With the kind of technologies coming from Japan, I'm suspecting they're being tutored by futuristic time-travelling shape-shifting aliens from 10,000A.D.

(Just kidding about d alien part grin)

They're advancing in nanorobotics (which is an innovative technology on a frigging epic scale). Imagine intelligent robots smaller than the width of a human hair which can be injected into the body and controlled on a molecular level to alter the cells within d body. Imagine how treatment and cures will look like. U can be treated for the most deadly diseases/ailments or injuries within minutes. When that kinda tech comes to naija, many pastors don lose market be that grin.

They're the first to succeed in developing true 3D display using laser plasma technology. With their device, 3D images can be created in mid-air without the use of a screen. They even promised a high tech marvel of said 3D display, in their final pitch to host the 2022 World Cup. They planned on paving 400 stadiums around the world with 3D flat screens to show life size matches thousands of miles away. In other words, its possible to watch live world cup matches from say, Abuja stadium. I'm not talking of watching it on big screens, I'm talking of seeing the players & ref, playing on the Abuja pitch as if they're actually there. The only difference is that the players in the actual WC venue will be real flesh & blood humans while those same players in the Abuja stadium will be 3D holograms.
Wished they won the bid, instead of Qatar.

There's also the ALMA (Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array) state-of-the-art radio telescope which can convert waves from a dying star into music.

Then Nissan's autonomous drive car which can think and make decisions due to its artificial intelligence. Less accidents and traffic congestion.

Abeg they deserve to come on top the US anytime anyday.

As for what Nigeria will learn, hmmmmm....in my opinion, we will never learn. Not with the mentality of the average Nigerian on the street or those at the helm of affairs in govt. Our educational curriculum even makes it worse.
Thanks for the compliment. wink I think I agree with you about the alien part. . . grin

As to why I am surprised, USA has always been at the forefront of technological research from space to energy. I think I need to really update my knowledge on Japan and its achievement. For the 3D ish, o boy, that shit go make sense oh. shocked

I believe there are people willing to learn and I hope we can start by appreciating those trying to make a difference. I also hope our educational standard is improved.

Off topic: Seun, please, whenever I log out of Nairaland and want to log in, it always requests a input a code and you know some mobile phones do not open certain email like yahoomail except I log in via PC. It's tiring. I hope there is no problem with my ID here. Please, fix it and thank you.
Re: 12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 by Feraz(m): 11:40pm On Apr 15, 2015
OP, I wonder where Iran will be in the next ten years. . .
Re: 12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
Feraz:
OP, I wonder where Iran will be in the next ten years. . .

I don't really know much of their technology (except nuclear this n that). What technology do they export? I doubt if they'll go anywhere even in d nxt 50yrs. Unless of cos they diversify n not just focus nuclear weapons/power generatn. My opinion though
Re: 12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 by Feraz(m): 11:49pm On Jun 07, 2015
ChokolateBoss:

I don't really know much of their technology (except nuclear this n that). What technology do they export? I doubt if they'll go anywhere even in d nxt 50yrs. Unless of cos they diversify n not just focus nuclear weapons/power generatn. My opinion though
Recall my comment which you quoted that brought about this reply? Check this thread out.
Re: 12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 by Feraz(m): 9:35pm On Nov 15, 2015
What of Denmark? Did more on Japan and saw a man called Hiroshi Ishiguro made - a geminoid.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Solar Panel And Charge Controller Installation Tutorial / Prepare For Three Days Of Darkness From 23-25th December / How To Easily Spot A Fake Galaxy S6 Smartphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.