Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,094 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:26 AM

Absurd Android Data Consumption! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Absurd Android Data Consumption! (3516 Views)

7 Ways To Reduce Data Consumption On Android. / Four Absurd Tecno Myths You Should Stop Believing Right Now / Airtel Finally Introduces Cheapest Android Data Plan; Get 1GB For N1000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Ksslib(m): 12:12pm On Oct 10, 2014
Ported from symbian to android just recently and I must say, the difference is clear but I am beginning to miss my dear beloved symbian.

The way this galaxy s3 consumes data baffles me. Not too long ago I subscribed for 1gig via sme data share & it barely lasted 17 days. I subscribed another 500mb, it barely lasted a week plus. Now, I subscribed another 500mb just 6days ago and its remaining just 1mb now. angry shocked .

I know android consumes data but certainly not this much. Not to also mention the fact I dont download much with it(etisalat handles that) . I also checked background data & I dont think thats the culprit cos i noticed foreground data consumed 99% .

I use MTN and firefox as my preferred browser cos it displays italics unlike the opera and Ucweb I have.

Your suggestions will be higly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. cry

edited:: I just checked my message details.. And the one gig lasted for only 8 days.. . Not even close to the 17days i earlier stated.
From sept 18th to sept 26th.. Chai!
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 10, 2014
YOU SERIOUSLY NEED TO PORT BACK TO YOUR SYMBIAN PHONE grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Ksslib(m): 12:19pm On Oct 10, 2014
Jregz:
YOU SERIOUSLY NEED TO PORT BACK TO YOUR SYMBIAN PHONE grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
angry
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by iamsegsy(m): 12:29pm On Oct 10, 2014
Ksslib:
Ported from symbian to android just recently and I must say, the difference is clear but I am beginning to miss my dear beloved symbian.
The way this galaxy s3 consumes data baffles me. Not too long ago I subscribed for 1gig via sme data share & it barely lasted 17 days. I subscribed another 500mb, it barely lasted a week plus. Now, I subscribed another 500mb just 6days ago and its remaining just 1mb now. angry shocked .
I know android consumes data but certainly not this much. Not to also mention the fact I dont download much with it(etisalat handles that) . I also checked background data & I dont think thats the culprit cos i noticed foreground data consumed 99% .
I use MTN and firefox as my preferred browser cos it displays italics unlike the opera and Ucweb I have.
Your suggestions will be higly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. cry
if you don't wanna let your android device suck u dry,there are some things u can do reduce it...
.close all apps that are currently not in use.
.go to ur settings>data usage>restrict background data,this will do a lot in reducing ur data consumption or you can as well select apps you want to restrict it's background data.
for example play store.
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Rapsainot(m): 12:49pm On Oct 10, 2014
Your phone consumed 1gb in 17 days you're shouting... This is the consumption of my play store and Firefox per day

Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Ksslib(m): 1:04pm On Oct 10, 2014
iamsegsy:
if you don't wanna let your android device suck u dry,there are some things u can do reduce it...
.close all apps that are currently not in use.
.go to ur settings>data usage>restrict background data,this will do a lot in reducing ur data consumption or you can as well select apps you want to restrict it's background data.
for example play store.
I did for some apps and it didnt do much . I'll try restricting background data as a whole and see how it goes sha..

Thanks.
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by idu1(m): 1:05pm On Oct 10, 2014
Go to ur ex........or buy BB. No b by force.........

1 Like

Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by nani667: 1:05pm On Oct 10, 2014
If you can't keep up just sell the phone and return to ya Symbian.... It's that simple

1 Like

Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Ksslib(m): 1:07pm On Oct 10, 2014
Rapsainot:
Your phone consumed 1gb in 17 days you're shouting... This is the consumption of my play store and Firefox per day
I made a mistake.. Simply checking my message details could have done it.. Your post just made me check back and no, it wasnt even close to even 10days.. The 1gig lasted only 8 days.. From sept 18-26th...

If you consume 1gb in day, how much do you use in a week then?

Well, i guess its your choice but I dont have such money to spend anyhow on just browsing, no downloading..
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by denedene(m): 1:37pm On Oct 10, 2014
even d airtel 4.5gb ish doesnt last me for 2weeks n I hardly download
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Lexusgs430: 2:18pm On Oct 10, 2014
Just buy your data bundle and enjoy the power Android.
Why buy any smartphone and moan about data consumption ?
My consumption so far ...........

1 Share

Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Osyxcel(m): 2:33pm On Oct 10, 2014
Lol. Them no born my phone well make e dey suck MB. I hardly make use of 20mb in a day except I'm downloading, streaming or tethering.

Also, Firefox uses more data than UC Browser or Opera.
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Osyxcel(m): 2:38pm On Oct 10, 2014
Ksslib:

I made a mistake.. Simply checking my message details could have done it.. Your post just made me check back and no, it wasnt even close to even 10days.. The 1gig lasted only 8 days.. From sept 18-26th...

If you consume 1gb in day, how much do you use in a week then?

Well, i guess its your choice but I dont have such money to spend anyhow on just browsing, no downloading..

Go to Settings>data usage and check what applications are eating your MB.

Also, go to playstore, check the settings and make sure that Auto update is not turned on.

Go to settings>accounts> your google account and try to turn off Sync.

Those are few of the many things that take your MB

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Ksslib(m): 3:45pm On Oct 10, 2014
Osyxcel:

Go to Settings>data usage and check what applications are eating your MB.

Also, go to playstore, check the settings and make sure that Auto update is not turned on.

Go to settings>accounts> your google account and try to turn off Sync.

Those are few of the many things that take your MB
Done the accounts settings ish before.. Will check play store too like you suggested . Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Babajoel: 3:47pm On Oct 10, 2014
Another way to get some savings in your data consumption is what I'm using. And it gives me some succour to an extent:

Download the following 3 apps (all for free) . The first 2 are available on Google Play Store, while the 3rd can be found by Googling, or "researching" with your preferred search engine :

1) Opera Max for Android;
2) AfWall+
3) AdFree

After installing all these and configuring them properly, make sure you always have Opera Max on before you switch ON your data for browsing. It compresses all data over your traffic (your downloads, streamings, browsing requests etc) before rendering it on your device.

The other 2 may not always be on after the initial settings.

But in AfWall +, you need to mark out all/few apps you want to grant internet access. There are rogue apps that stealthily connect to internet. AfWall prevents them if (You) don't approve of them.

Adfree is the sentinel or gatekeeper that prevents apps that are embedded with advert campaigns that will play as you launch those apps. You know these adverts consume data as well. Apps developers way-way-away make their bulks through adverts (even
when you don't solicit for them) the reason Google banned AdFree from their Store, and why need to use search engine to get it from alternative source.

Even with Opera Max, you may not have to do with AfWall+ because Max provides a way to block (by marking) apps that you think shouldn't access internet + while those that are NOT marked will be able to access internet and transfer and receive data that have been optimally compressed.
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Ksslib(m): 3:50pm On Oct 10, 2014
Besides, what are most of you on about. You guys clearly stream,do heavy browsing e..t..c, so you dont expect our data consumption level to be same. And Its not even about the money sef, cos if thats how most android devices zap data, then fine.

I felt my case was diff and mostly wanted to know if others experienced same.
Smh . As if na by force to comment!
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Osyxcel(m): 3:52pm On Oct 10, 2014
Ksslib:

Done the accounts settings ish before.. Will check play store too like you suggested . Thanks.

Welcome. Also avoid browsing with firefox. It takes a lot of MB. Try using any of UC Browser, Opera, Dolphin Browser or CM Browser.

Just check your data usage so you can know the apps taking your MB.

Also get a task killer, Clean Master comes in handy. Make sure you set it to clean processes on a regular basis and when screen is off. This will make sure that less processes are running, this means less processes to suck your MB. Don't forget to whitelist your important apps such as Whatsapp and BBM.
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Ksslib(m): 3:55pm On Oct 10, 2014
Babajoel:
Another way to get some savings in your data consumption is what I'm using. And it gives me some succour to an extent:

Download the following 3 apps (all for free) . The first 2 are available on Google Play Store, while the 3rd can be found by Googling, or "researching" with your preferred search engine :

1) Opera Max for Android;
2) AfWall+
3) AdFree

After installing all these and configuring them properly, make sure you always have Opera Max on before you switch ON your data for browsing. It compresses all data over your traffic (your downloads, streamings, browsing requests etc) before rendering it on your device.

The other 2 may not always be on after the initial settings.

But in AfWall +, you need to mark out all/few apps you want to grant internet access. There are rogue apps that stealthily connect to internet. AfWall prevents them if (You) don't approve of them.

Adfree is the sentinel or gatekeeper that prevents apps that are embedded with advert campaigns that will play as you launch those apps. You know these adverts consume data as well. Apps developers way-way-away make their bulks through adverts (even
when you don't solicit for them) the reason Google banned AdFree from their Store, and why need to use search engine to get it from alternative source.

Even with Opera Max, you may not have to do with AfWall+ because Max provides a way to block (by marking) apps that you think shouldn't access internet + while those that are NOT marked will be able to access internet and transfer and receive data that have been optimally compressed.
Thanks guy!

The apps work on non rooted devices right?
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Ksslib(m): 4:12pm On Oct 10, 2014
Osyxcel:

Welcome. Also avoid browsing with firefox. It takes a lot of MB. Try using any of UC Browser, Opera, Dolphin Browser or CM Browser.

Just check your data usage so you can know the apps taking your MB.

Also get a task killer, Clean Master comes in handy. Make sure you set it to clean processes on a regular basis and when screen is off. This will make sure that less processes are running, this means less processes to suck your MB. Don't forget to whitelist your important apps such as Whatsapp and BBM.
I have clean master & I maually clear those stubborn processes myself. Will explore the settings later and set things proper like you suggested !

Yap! Noticed firefox uses almost twice as much mb as Uc browser just of recent. I dont know why Uc browser doesnt support italics though.I'll check google to see sha. Maybe there is/are file extensions that can tweak it.

Thanks once again.
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Rapsainot(m): 4:23pm On Oct 10, 2014
Ksslib:

I have clean master & I maually clear those stubborn processes myself. Will explore the settings later and set things proper like you suggested !

Yap! Noticed firefox uses almost twice as much mb as Uc browser just of recent. I dont know why Uc browser doesnt support italics though.I'll check google to see sha. Maybe there is/are file extensions that can tweak it.

Thanks once again.
uc consumes more than normal, fire fox is cool here
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by deeobserver209(m): 4:33pm On Oct 10, 2014
There's a way you can reduce data consumption on your new Galaxy S3.
Download Avast Anti Virus app and install on your phone. Go to the firewall option and click it. A list of all applications installed on your phone will be shown. There are options for Wifi, 3G and Edge networks through which you can restrict apps from using data when ever you wish to browse. Tick the apps you want firewall to block from using data.
Note: Your phone need to be rooted for this operation.

1 Like

Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by AyodejiCharles(m): 4:40pm On Oct 10, 2014
Nairalanders!!!Rejoice!Latest, Affordable Glo
Internet Subscription At Last!!
GLO PLANS
Glo : 30 Days Validity
BALANCE CODE : No balance code but you
should Use Data Monitor App to monitor)
500mb = N1000 cash
1000mb = N1500 cash
1500mb = N2000 cash
2000mb = N2500 cash
3000mb = N3500 cash
click here for more details
www.nairaland.com/1938008/nairalanders-rejoice-latest-affordable-glo
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Osyxcel(m): 5:31pm On Oct 10, 2014
Ksslib:

Thanks once again.

You are welcome.

You can set your UC preference to website under settings>advanced. Then you turn off speed mode. This might help you with the mode you are looking for.

1 Like

Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by djeasy(m): 5:58pm On Oct 10, 2014
The best you can do is to Root that phone, then Install Droidwall

1 Like

Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Nobody: 9:35pm On Oct 10, 2014
Jregz:

I just saw your post about my blog.
The one you wrote with your second account.
Now I know the meaning of wickedness.

Thanks for trying to derail my little world.
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 11, 2014
jboy73:

I just saw your post about my blog.
The one you wrote with your second account.
Now I know the meaning of wickedness.

Thanks for trying to derail my little world.
you sound confused!!!!
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 11, 2014
Jregz:

you sound confused!!!!
wareva dude.... never knew u'd stoop so low .
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Nobody: 10:50am On Oct 11, 2014
jboy73:
wareva dude.... never knew u'd stoop so low .
link.to the page please
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 11, 2014
Jregz:

link.to the page please
what page?
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Nobody: 10:58am On Oct 11, 2014
jboy73:
what page?
the thread where I bashed your blog with my other account
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 11, 2014
Jregz:

the thread where I bashed your blog with my other account
Lol, stop all this nonsense pretentious attitude.... man up and admit what u did.
I know u'v always hated me.
Re: Absurd Android Data Consumption! by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 11, 2014
jboy73:
Lol, stop all this nonsense pretentious attitude.... man up and admit what u did.
I know u'v always hated me.
i sincerely don't know what you're talking about, my other account is AsAPJregz and it's been over a month o used it last
https://www.nairaland.com/asapjregz

(1) (2) (Reply)

China Mobile, Huawei Build World’s Highest 5G Base Station / Glo 4g Lte Is Life...see What People Are Saying About It / Tecno Spark Plus K9 Vs Infinix Hot 4 Pro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.