Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,058 members, 7,807,184 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:46 AM

The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC (3567 Views)

What Next After NYSC NIM Induction? / Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? / Why Do Females Get Job Faster Than The Males After NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by AdekunleIG(m): 6:23am On Oct 11, 2014
Congratulations as you serve your nation or about to serve Nigeria. The followings are the best advice I can give :

(1) If you have your way in choosing where to serve, pls don't go far from your state (You would be able to spend less so as to save).

(2) Involve yourself in camp activities and Group CDS (Learn how to march, lead parade, etc. I didn't realize while I was in camp that I would later be made my Local Government parade commandant during the Legion's day remembrance of the fallen hero and the welcoming of the New DG of NYSC to Oyo state Permanent Orientation camp commissioning).

(3) Get connected to people that would change your life (You will meet a lot of characters in just 1year of your service, mingle with the best, you will surely need them someday).

(4) Be loyal to the people you will meet at your PPA, from the messanger to the Head of your PPA (they can recommend you to someone that knows someone that can be of help to you. It may not even be during your service year but later in future).

(5) Learn to save atleast N9,800 from your alawi, keep it with an outsider that you trust, not with yourself because you would be tempted to touch (I joined my mum's money savings group during my time and I realized N165,000 after my service year. You will need your savings few months after service when others are grumbling).

(6) Think out of the box and come out with a personal community development project that would make you stand out (It's always good to contribute one's quota to the development of wherever you find yourself, it can fetch you a Commendation letter, Chairman's award, State Governor's award and National award, even God's award. Though the reward may seem slow but I'm sure someday my file shall be treated. My State award is really paving ways for me till today and my project have also been nominated for National award. Though to some, it may not be an achievement but to me, I'm proud of myself because it's not easy but it worth it).

(7) Put all your trust in God ("Behold, I have set before you an open door that no man can close" -Revelations 3:cool.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors and when you get to your paradise, Remember me!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by saxwizard(m): 6:54am On Oct 11, 2014
AdekunleIG:
Congratulations as you serve your nation or about to serve Nigeria. The followings are the best advice I can give :

(1) If you have your way in choosing where to serve, pls don't go far from your state (You would be able to spend less so as to save).

(2) Involve yourself in camp activities and Group CDS (Learn how to march, lead parade, etc. I didn't realize while I was in camp that I would later be made my Local Government parade commandant during the Legion's day remembrance of the fallen hero and the welcoming of the New DG of NYSC to Oyo state Permanent Orientation camp commissioning).

(3) Get connected to people that would change your life (You will meet a lot of characters in just 1year of your service, mingle with the best, you will surely need them someday).

(4) Be loyal to the people you will meet at your PPA, from the messanger to the Head of your PPA (they can recommend you to someone that knows someone that can be of help to you. It may not even be during your service year but later in future).

(5) Learn to save atleast N9,800 from your alawi, keep it with an outsider that you trust, not with yourself because you would be tempted to touch (I joined my mum's money savings group during my time and I realized N165,000 after my service year. You will need your savings few months after service when others are grumbling).

(6) Think out of the box and come out with a personal community development project that would make you stand out (It's always good to contribute one's quota to the development of wherever you find yourself, it can fetch you a Commendation letter, Chairman's award, State Governor's award and National award, even God's award. Though the reward may seem slow but I'm sure someday my file shall be treated. My State award is really paving ways for me till today and my project have also been nominated for National award. Though to some, it may not be an achievement but to me, I'm proud of myself because it's not easy but it worth it).

(7) Put all your trust in God ("Behold, I have set before you an open door that no man can close" -Revelations 3:cool.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors and when you get to your paradise, Remember me!

So on point

1 Like

Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by yuncka: 7:07am On Oct 11, 2014
Nice one OP

Another advice in camp: ZIP UP!

BTW! Dis topic is gud enough to make frontpage.

1 Like

Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by hawdi(m): 12:39pm On Oct 11, 2014
Well said! Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by computerboy: 10:45am On Oct 12, 2014
Another advice: have a plan B just incase you don't get a job after your service year

1 Like

Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by AdekunleIG(m): 10:24pm On Oct 12, 2014
yuncka:
Nice one OP

Another advice in camp: ZIP UP!

BTW! Dis topic is gud enough to make frontpage.

Sure it will motivate someone out there
Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by AdekunleIG(m): 10:26pm On Oct 12, 2014
computerboy:
Another advice: have a plan B just incase you don't get a job after your service year

Yes! That goes with point number 5
Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by jenyunwojo(f): 11:51am On Oct 13, 2014
Sooo on point! I lk d saving part sha. coolSooo on point! I lk d saving part sha.

1 Like

Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by Hormorthorshor(m): 6:30pm On Oct 13, 2014
Guys, thanks for the tip. Una too much........ grin

Make this youth service quick start now. Just dey hold me, I no fit work. Just have series of long days countdown.......

1 Like

Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by AdekunleIG(m): 7:13pm On Oct 13, 2014
Hormorthorshor:
Guys, thanks for the tip. Una too much........ grin

Make this youth service quick start now. Just dey hold me, I no fit work. Just have series of long days countdown.......

You are welcome... That's the spirit
In the next 2months, You will start missing d orientation camp
Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by suyamasta(m): 8:44am On Oct 14, 2014
@op nice one

1 Like

Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by Nobody: 10:24am On Oct 14, 2014
GodBless You OP...Noted

1 Like

Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by AdekunleIG(m): 10:46am On Oct 14, 2014
Titiluvly:
GodBless You OP...Noted

Amen. Thanks
Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 14, 2014
AdekunleIG:

Amen. Thanks
please,did you get my email?
Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by AdekunleIG(m): 11:04am On Oct 14, 2014
Titiluvly:
please,did you get my email?

Yes, I've responded
Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by bloglover(m): 1:04pm On Oct 14, 2014
U sound like a bright young man. keep it up. Selflessness is one of the keys to life satisfaction.
Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by AdekunleIG(m): 2:49pm On Oct 14, 2014
bloglover:
U sound like a bright young man. keep it up. Selflessness is one of the keys to life satisfaction.

Thanks for the compliment and contribution...
I just wish someone out there is inspired and motivated!
Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by yokiti: 11:17pm On Oct 14, 2014
Nice one op.
In addition, while serving your fatherland, remember that service year only last for one Year.
1. Dont forget those you left at home as a monthly good wishes sms can open your ways to your dream job, needed recommendation.
2. To say some lecturers are bad is an understatement but dont allow the bitterness you have against them during your undergraduate days to deny you of the needed reference letter that might help you in securing your post graduate admission after service.
3. Please make sure you embark on what I call "sacrifice by denial" by saving well for life after service. The alert will one day stop and you will be left alone with the reality. I heard of some corpers had to borrow money to go back home after service because their last allawee want even enough to pay the debt they owe.
4. Never put all your fishes in one basket. The urge to return home after a successful service year will be there but think very well about WHAT YOU ARE GOING HOME TO DO? If offered employment where you served, you can accept the offer pending the time better things will come. Remember, the pay might be little but it will be better than staying idle at home. I should forget that the year of experience is counting on the job too.
5. Try to build good relationship with those around you. Forget the " he/ she is not up to my level/ class thingy" because you never can tell where you might need their help in the future.
6. Time and tides wait for no man, acquiring basic skills, ( weaving, beads and cocraft making, IT, careting, tailoring, barbing etc ) instead of unnecessary chit chat with the leisure time wont be a bad idea.
7. This is the most important one.
Nobody knows the YOU in YOU more than yourself, you might need to device your own winning ways as these advice of mine is not water-tight.
Wishing you the best you wish yourself if your take the necessary steps. Shalom!

2 Likes

Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by AdekunleIG(m): 11:53pm On Oct 14, 2014
yokiti:
Nice one op.
In addition, while serving your fatherland, remember that service year only last for one Year.
1. Dont forget those you left at home as a monthly good wishes sms can open your ways to your dream job, needed recommendation.
2. To say some lecturers are bad is an understatement but dont allow the bitterness you have against them during your undergraduate days to deny you of the needed reference letter that might help you in securing your post graduate admission after service.
3. Please make sure you embark on what I call "sacrifice by denial" by saving well for life after service. The alert will one day stop and you will be left alone with the reality. I heard of some corpers had to borrow money to go back home after service because their last allawee want even enough to pay the debt they owe.
4. Never put all your fishes in one basket. The urge to return home after a successful service year will be there but think very well about WHAT YOU ARE GOING HOME TO DO? If offered employment where you served, you can accept the offer pending the time better things will come. Remember, the pay might be little but it will be better than staying idle at home. I should forget that the year of experience is counting on the job too.
5. Try to build good relationship with those around you. Forget the " he/ she is not up to my level/ class thingy" because you never can tell where you might need their help in the future.
6. Time and tides wait for no man, acquiring basic skills, ( weaving, beads and cocraft making, IT, careting, tailoring, barbing etc ) instead of unnecessary chit chat with the leisure time wont be a bad idea.
7. This is the most important one.
Nobody knows the YOU in YOU more than yourself, you might need to device your own winning ways as these advice of mine is not water-tight.
Wishing you the best you wish yourself if your take the necessary steps. Shalom!

Great contribution... That's kind of you!
Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by PrettyPhine(f): 11:45am On Oct 15, 2014
Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by AdekunleIG(m): 2:47pm On Oct 15, 2014
PrettyPhine:
Thanks for the advice.

You welcome
Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by jesutekome: 6:13pm On Oct 15, 2014
Welldone i like the way you hit the nails at the head. I also like the savings part of which i'm already guilty of.
Re: The Best Advice That Will Make You Smile After NYSC by AdekunleIG(m): 6:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
jesutekome:
Welldone i like the way you hit the nails at the head. I also like the savings part of which i'm already guilty of.

Calling a Spade a Spade and not just a working tool is good sometimes and the fact still remains that all hope is not lost.

You can still start from somewhere, even with your last 2 alawis!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Know If Your Registration Is Complete? / No State Available For NYSC Registration / Thread For 2017 BATCH B Stream 2 Pcms.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.